Orange Monte Carlo -£139.99

Guest hemant1

Guest The Soup Thief

Will the £139 price be including the top up?

I've read here that it won't. Nor will it include the inevitable network unlock (though this will probably be available gratis pdq). I wonder if they will use the same code system as on the Blade? Would be kinda kewl if they don't, so the existing calculators work on the new device

So 150 quid for a bigger blade. Not bad (if you don't have a blade already). As it stands mine does everything I need so I'll be staying put (barring mishaps)

Guest Anil k Solanki

I've read here that it won't. Nor will it include the inevitable network unlock (though this will probably be available gratis pdq). I wonder if they will use the same code system as on the Blade? Would be kinda kewl if they don't, so the existing calculators work on the new device

So 150 quid for a bigger blade. Not bad (if you don't have a blade already). As it stands mine does everything I need so I'll be staying put (barring mishaps)

After the user reviews are in, and the phone has some custom ROMS. I foresee that you will be having a "mishap" with your Blade. :)

Anil.

Edited by Anil k Solanki

Guest sej7278

given that the 2.6.32 kernel for the blade has plenty of skate code in it, i suspect that they're binary compatible - which looks good for using the skate 2.6.35 on blade (lets not forget that the leaked 2.6.35 kernel works on the blade and yet is probably from the skate) or blade cm7 on skate.

perhaps why ZTE decided to stick with the arm6 instead of arm7 - new phone hardware with little more development required than maybe the odd chip driver.

Guest hemant1

One more thing guys I know the is off topic but should I buy the Lg Optimus 7 instead of this?

They're gonna be at the same price once you have to make the top up for the skate and the LG does have better specs

Im thinking of buying a phone for long term use E.g. 2 years +

That's why I'm worried the skate will break for me sooner

Edited by hemant1

Guest Atomix86

One more thing guys I know the is off topic but should I buy the Lg Optimus 7 instead of this?

They're gonna be at the same price once you have to make the top up for the skate and the LG does have better specs

From a tech standpoint, it would be a simple yes. However, they both use different operating systems, whichever one you prefer is something you have to decide for yourself.

Guest Modifoid

£150? is that new or second hand? I saw some second hand ones for £150 but the cheapest new one I could find was £191.99 inc Vat from Handtec.

I think it looks remarkably similar to the Huawei X5 in both shape and spec..

I do like the spec but Windows.......nah......if I were you I would hold off until the Skate is released and see what it's processor is.

Guest hemant1

£150? is that new or second hand? I saw some second hand ones for £150 but the cheapest new one I could find was £191.99 inc Vat from Handtec.

I think it looks remarkably similar to the Huawei X5 in both shape and spec..

I do like the spec but Windows.......nah......if I were you I would hold off until the Skate is released and see what it's processor is.

Kinda like £138 now saw it on Hot UK Deals

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lg-e900-optimus-7-smartphone-unlocked-windows-phone-7-16gb-flash-5mp-720p-now-15/975468?page=5

Btu yh Prob will wait until skate is released then I'll decide

@Atomix Thanks for that prob will get Lg though it looks alot cooler

Guest Pierreism

It's still an okay deal. The Blackberry Curve 3G is like £180 in Orange still and it's got pitiful specs compared to the Blade. I really want to see the screen on this thing to see if it's a good quality LCD.

Guest ThermalDroid

Okay I know many people will use the "I'll just over clock it herp derp' argument but the thing is its already the turbo variant of the blade processor which is in essence overclocked. Also from my experience of the turbo variant of the blade processor the stability over even 800MHz is poor, I mean it crashes at 900MHz so don't hope for 1GHz. Shop around and get something better or if you are fine with the armv6 then by all means disregard this and get the Skate.

Guest Talvathir

Ah well no more waiting for me, last night a very nice lady from my mobileprovider called me up to let me know that my 24 months were up, would I like to sign up for another 24 months? If I did so they would send me a Galaxy S2 as part of the deal ... hard one to say no to ;).

Guest Simon O

Okay I know many people will use the "I'll just over clock it herp derp' argument but the thing is its already the turbo variant of the blade processor which is in essence overclocked. Also from my experience of the turbo variant of the blade processor the stability over even 800MHz is poor, I mean it crashes at 900MHz so don't hope for 1GHz. Shop around and get something better or if you are fine with the armv6 then by all means disregard this and get the Skate.

They didn't take a standard MSM7227 and overclock it to 800MHz.. it's an improved core that runs as a higher clock speed. I don't see any reason why it couldn't be additionally overclocked by the users.

Guest sej7278

They didn't take a standard MSM7227 and overclock it to 800MHz.. it's an improved core that runs as a higher clock speed. I don't see any reason why it couldn't be additionally overclocked by the users.

or do like motorola did with the defy+ and overclock the defy (800mhz monte carlo) update to gingerbread and call it a new phone (1ghz skate).

Guest todoleo

http://montecarlophone.co.uk/#

One more thing

I can get the Palm Pre 2 for £144 but should I just wait for the monte carlo and buy that instead?

I have a Pre2 and am very happy with it. It is not as customisable as Android devices, but it does the job. Only annoying thing about it: no threaded conversations in the email client.

I'm looking forward to the release of the Monte Carlo and will definitely be getting one.

Guest Hungrymonkey

In sunny Norwich Saturday, had a play with a Monte Carlo in the shop. The assistant was quite keen too. Only two in stock, manager would let me buy one. £149 with top up or £20/ month with free phone. No promotional stand or dummy phone yet and not on display. Might just pay to ask.

Guest tillaz

oranges website is a joke it wont let me add the top up after adding the phone and if you add the top up first the phone disappears.

PROBLEM WOZ MY WEB BROWSER (IE9) USED GOOGLE CHROME AND WORKED FINE.

Edited by tillaz

• 3 weeks later...
Guest the juggernaut

oranges website is a joke it wont let me add the top up after adding the phone and if you add the top up first the phone disappears.

PROBLEM WOZ MY WEB BROWSER (IE9) USED GOOGLE CHROME AND WORKED FINE.

well I.E is rubbish anyways i meen a brick runs faster

Guest unrandomsam

http://montecarlophone.co.uk/#

It looks pretty legit to me

Will you guys be buying this if it's at this price

One more thing

I can get the Palm Pre 2 for £144 but should I just wait for the monte carlo and buy that instead?

Acer Liquid Metal for ~ £140 from Expansys now (Similar to the X5 specs wise slightly smaller screen but you can get it now factory unlocked).

Guest dadashi

Acer Liquid Metal for ~ £140 from Expansys now (Similar to the X5 specs wise slightly smaller screen but you can get it now factory unlocked).

acer isn't the cream of the crop, I'd put acer and ZTE smartphones in the same market categorie, cheap....if you're looking for something better in the <£200 price range, go for an older 4" Samsung or an 4" HTC off ebay....

Anyway Acer Liquid Metal is an 3.5" inch phone in league with Blade / SanFrancisco...

The 4.3" MonteCarlo / Skate is a different phone completely....If you're looking for a large 4.3" you won't be happy with a 3.5".... :lol:

Edited by dadashi

Guest Pelemane

acer isn't the cream of the crop, I'd put acer and ZTE smartphones in the same market categorie, cheap....if you're looking for something better in the <£200 price range, go for an older 4" Samsung or an 4" HTC off ebay....

Anyway Acer Liquid Metal is an 3.5" inch phone in league with Blade / SanFrancisco...

The 4.3" MonteCarlo / Skate is a different phone completely....If you're looking for a large 4.3" you won't be happy with a 3.5".... :lol:

Acer Liquid Metal is cream of the crop compared to any ZTE device, just the community around it is really poop.

When you compare phones do you look any other specs than screen size? btw Liquid Metal has 3.6 inch display, not 3.5.