Choosing the right rom!

Guest Igano

Guest Igano

Hey every one! I am a happy blade owner. Once I bought it I installed the modaco 2.2 rom and never looked back! Works almost perfectly!

I have been thinking of upgrading after many carefree months! Should I go for gingerbread or since it's not official should I just look for a more updated 2.2 ?

Anyone want to share his thoughts on the matter?

My personal preference is plain roms without anything or much added and I want to add only what I want! I don't like heavily moded roms with too much visuals.

I already searched the forums for some answers but the ammount of threads with new roms is overwhelming!

Thanks for your help!

Guest k0zmic

Ginger Stir Fry sounds ideal for you, it's based on an official leak so I guess it's kinda official.

It's quite plain and doesn't include as many extra features that CM7 does.

Guest Matthew Ferguson

Ginger Stir Fry sounds ideal for you, it's based on an official leak so I guess it's kinda official.

It's quite plain and doesn't include as many extra features that CM7 does.

+1, completely agree. Plus the modaco 2.2 was based on a leak too!

Guest TouchyAndalou

Yeah, another vote for Ginger Stir Fry. You can even remove a handful of apps before flashing, along with the boot animation and fonts you may not need (Arabic, Hebrew, Thai) if you're wanting to strip it down a bit.

As far as stable roms go, it's probably the best I've seen.

Guest ThermalDroid

What do you say about Blueginger v5?Is it good or gsf is better.Sorry for noob question but I'm new in Android.

Blue ginger has been removed and was ugly and outdated. Your best bet is GSF.

Guest ididmytime

Blue ginger has been removed and was ugly and outdated. Your best bet is GSF.

That was just a modified GSF wasn't it?

GSF is gone too :-(

You can still download it, nothing meaninfull will ever be updated due to closed kernel.

Guest Igano

That was just a modified GSF wasn't it?

You can still download it, nothing meaninfull will ever be updated due to closed kernel.

If it's working all right there's no need for update right?

Guest t0mm13b

To each and their own,

You have to find out for yourself which ROM is the best based on what you feel, not what others are ranting and raving about-take for an example, while not about ROMs in this example-Linux, it is often used as a question similarly titled

"Oh yeah, Ubuntu 11.10 is fabulous and brilliant"/"Oh no it isn't, its awful, Fedora kicks ass"

Or even Vi vs Emacs:

"Oh yeah, vi kicks ass" cue large amounts of Emacs users ready to flame vi users and exchanges....

Repeat ad nauseum....its the same in life, choose what you think its right and that you feel comfortable with.

What works for you may not work for someone else... :)

My 2cents, B)

Edited by t0mm13b

Guest Clitheroe1

Ginger Stir Fry is a great ROM in most respects however I found a some apps didn't work on it. I don't know if this problem has been fixed yet but at the time it was said that not having access to the source code prevented it from being updated to remedy this issue. So I use CM7 and have had no problems with it and it has a lot of useful features that aren't available on GSF.

Guest daerragh

You've got a choice between many Froyos and only two developing Gingerbread ROMs. The obvious choice is Gingerbread, because simply put it is faster. So you have a choice between CyanogenMod 7 and Ginger Stir Fry. While CM7 in SOME respect (not all) is faster than GSF, GSF is much more reliable and stable, e.g. it doesn't have any serious bugs, while CM7 still has its flaws (e.g. FM Radio not working among other things). GSF has also considerably better battery life, so I would go for it. GSF at the moment cannot be overclocked because we don't have the new kernel source, but I tell you - it is faster than overclocked Froyos. GSF - it's fast and it just works.

Guest jumpaddict

You've got a choice between many Froyos and only two developing Gingerbread ROMs. The obvious choice is Gingerbread, because simply put it is faster. So you have a choice between CyanogenMod 7 and Ginger Stir Fry. While CM7 in SOME respect (not all) is faster than GSF, GSF is much more reliable and stable, e.g. it doesn't have any serious bugs, while CM7 still has its flaws (e.g. FM Radio not working among other things). GSF has also considerably better battery life, so I would go for it. GSF at the moment cannot be overclocked because we don't have the new kernel source, but I tell you - it is faster than overclocked Froyos. GSF - it's fast and it just works.

I have tried most of the ROM's mention but am back to Portuguese Spring for stability. It has the notification power widget and LauncherPro and there are "white themes" available for what ever your taste. I'll wait another month or two until some other stable faster ROM appears. my 2c

Guest Shapetsau

I think the best 2.3.4 android rom to blade is BlueGinger V5. I'm not so convinced for example on CM7. It's simply too heavy to use 24/7. I'm not sure what make it so popular, maybe the visual qualities?

Guest Igano

I tried the latest Stir fry b19 and I must say I am totally amazed! The difference in speed is light years ahead of the modaco 2.2! Apart from a few minor bugs I have no problems at all! Also a big advantage was the total setup was like 3 minutes and very simple!

Reccomended!

Guest sumit999

I have a similar doubt. I am using SS RLS5 since 3 months and pretty satisfied with the stability. Now looking for GSF but dont exactly know if I should make that switch or wait further. I also dont know what extra will I get from GSF over SS in my daily usage. Please suggest.

Guest Phoenix Silver

CM7 or GSF ?

Try both and make your opinion :)

Flash a rom, do a backup in clockworkmod.

Wipe, install the second rom of your choice. If you don't like it, simply do a restore of the first rom in clockwork.

It's always good anyway to have a backup of your day to day rom.

Guest Igano

I have a similar doubt. I am using SS RLS5 since 3 months and pretty satisfied with the stability. Now looking for GSF but dont exactly know if I should make that switch or wait further. I also dont know what extra will I get from GSF over SS in my daily usage. Please suggest.

I can definetely say you will get a lot on the speed :)

Guest hayenne

I have been using SS5 for some time, then switched to GSF (very satisfied with it) - nice performance, awesome stability and excellent battery life, still comfortable with it.

I'd say go for GSF but keep an eye peeled for CM7 releases (wbaw said there might be a major improvement in the nearest future).

Edited by hayenne

Guest g4mer10

u should get the Portuguese Spring i searched a long Time and this is the only one who is perfect. Its fast and looks nice. This Rom was suggested to me by k0zmic

Guest sumit999

Thanks all for your suggestions. Installed GSF B19 and feels like UPgraded my phone's performance. Flashed rockstarzzz_hybridhoney_mega theam and the UI is changed completely. Loving it right now. Just one concern though, battery now seems to last less and the moment i remove the charger after charging it to 100% the battery goes to 92% in a minutes time. Any help on that.............

Thanks all for your suggestions. Installed GSF B19 and feels like UPgraded my phone's performance. Flashed rockstarzzz_hybridhoney_mega theam and the UI is changed completely. Loving it right now. Just one concern though, battery now seems to last less and the moment i remove the charger after charging it to 100% the battery goes to 92% in a minutes time. Any help on that.............

Sorry I have no clue, but if it helps you I have GSF b19 and the battery has no issues at all!

Guest k0zmic

battery now seems to last less and the moment i remove the charger after charging it to 100% the battery goes to 92% in a minutes time. Any help on that.............

Erm, try take it off the charger at 100%, reboot, if it's less than 100% then charge it up again. After it's at 100% wait 20 minutes or so. Then take out the charger and then reboot again. Hopefully, it will be 100% this time.