[RECOVERY] : ClockworkMod Recovery for Orange Barcelona/Huawei U8350

Guest Sebastian404

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Techno79

I spent ages removing the ugly orange bloatware, the splash logos etc and the device did seem quite a bit zippier. I made one mistake though, i did a factory reset and clear cache to see how it performed. I had forgotten that i had blown away the orange home / launcher app - this stopped the device from booting.

I was about to load up the original orange UK firmware from :http://wiki.modaco.c..._Firmware_U8350 and instead thought i would take a look at the Kenya Normal one. WOW what a difference the rom is much faster than the orange one - really noticably quicker!! No nasty bloat, no branding whatsoever. The only minor issue i did have was the symbol key didnt appear to work in googlemail, this was fixed by unticking android keyboard under the settings/keyboard.

A nice stock froyo that seems (so far) to be working perfectly!! The phone is sooo much better.

Root and clockwork mod recovery back on again.. very pleased indeed!

Andy

Unfortunately, I've just made the exact same mistake as you. I've just tried to download the Orange UK and the other ROMs but none of the download. Have they been taken down? How else can I get the ROMs?

TIA

• 2 weeks later...

Sebastian to remove the simlock use DC-Unlocker, The Huawei U8350 detects as a U8150/Smart as they both have same kernal i believe. I cant remember how i got into fastboot but i think its red button vol up and on button. But I can confirm ive unlocked here.

Hi

DC unlocker detects this as U8150 but I get model not supported for unlock? Orange Branded model (Barcelona)

Any ideas?

Guest newbie2android

Has anyone worked out how to unlock this baby for free?

Also, I have to thank those posters above such as Idcom and Sebastian for sharing their hard work with us... Life can be overwhelmingly tough on many a day, so it means a lot when I see people helping others out like this.

I'll be receiving my Barcelona in the next few days, and look forward to rooting it, debranding it, and all the other things necessary to make it into a regular phone! :)

Edited by newbie2android

Guest misc2050

I have the dload folder on my phone with the kenyan rom. The zip is probably on a laptop at home. Will upload to a file sharing site this evening.

Any chance you could post that Firmware on a file sharing site and post the link? The Kenyan ROM link from the wiki still doesn't work!

Ooop! Realised that the links are indeed above! Thanks for the hard work guys. Much appreciated!

Edited by misc2050

• 1 month later...
Guest quazar666

Strange, somehow for me the fastboot method to install recovery is not working. I cannot get into the egg timer screen.

I'm able to install recovery via the adb method, but I also cannot boot into recovery (via abd or via volume down+power method). The recovery manager method is also not working.

I guess that there is no way to install a custom rom? My phone has the .....C361B651 firmware.

My phone is rooted.

Guest Sebastian404

Strange, somehow for me the fastboot method to install recovery is not working. I cannot get into the egg timer screen.

I'm able to install recovery via the adb method, but I also cannot boot into recovery (via abd or via volume down+power method). The recovery manager method is also not working.

I guess that there is no way to install a custom rom? My phone has the .....C361B651 firmware.

My phone is rooted.

Do you have an Orange Barcelona or another branded version of the U8350?

Guest quazar666

Hi Sebastian404,

I've sent you a link to a romdump of my phone. Please have a look and see what's going on there :)

You do not use PM, so I've sent it to podtwo, hope that also works?

Many thanks in advance for looking at the romdump!

I have put them in http://db.tt/289FzUD. They are uploading now but could take a while. There is Kenya and Orange UK to return to stock in there.

Apologies if I'm being very thick here - but how do you install the Kenya rom?

I could install Sebatian's ROM with ClockworkMod Recovery, but the kenya rom it's a rar file, and it's not selectable from ClockworkMod Recovery.

Tried to convert to zip file but it didn't work.

I'm using Sebastian's rom right now, but it's locked and I would rather use the Kenyan Normal build than give 10 credits to dc unlocker.

Any inputs greatly appreciated. Apologies if the question is basic, these are my first 2 hours on android, I did some searching on google. but couldn't find anything obvious.

Anyway, many thanks for the incredibly valuable info posted!

MR

Edited by mr1974

Apologies if I'm being very thick here - but how do you install the Kenya rom?

I could install Sebatian's ROM with ClockworkMod Recovery, but the kenya rom it's a rar file, and it's not selectable from ClockworkMod Recovery.

Tried to convert to zip file but it didn't work.

I'm using Sebastian's rom right now, but it's locked and I would rather use the Kenyan Normal build than give 10 credits to dc unlocker.

Any inputs greatly appreciated. Apologies if the question is basic, these are my first 2 hours on android, I did some searching on google. but couldn't find anything obvious.

Anywa, many thanks in advance for the incredibly valuable info posted!

MR

OK - so.... To reply to myself, I did some reading today. And played with fastboot.

I extracted the system.img and boot.img from the Kenya Normal UPDATA.APP using split_updata.pl.

Then I flashed them to the phone using FASTBOOT. Everything seems to have completed ok.

On reboot, I did not notice any change, still simlocked...

Any inputs VERY welcome.

M

Edited by mr1974

If somebody have some interrest on it, I made a dump from my rom with CWM.

It is a rom customized for the french operator "Bouygues Telecom", with very few customisations (the boot screen and two links installed as app, you can say "nothing"). Here are the boot, recovery and system img (mirror avaliable 30 days after the last download)

To remove the 2 app-links is easy with a rooted terminal, i'd like to find the original boot screen to remove the last customisation. Can somebody upload it?

Guest quazar666

If somebody have some interrest on it, I made a dump from my rom with CWM.

It is a rom customized for the french operator "Bouygues Telecom", with very few customisations (the boot screen and two links installed as app, you can say "nothing"). Here are the boot, recovery and system img (mirror avaliable 30 days after the last download)

To remove the 2 app-links is easy with a rooted terminal, i'd like to find the original boot screen to remove the last customisation. Can somebody upload it?

i was a bit scared of sharing the dump because it might contain passwords. Or are they excluded from the dump by default?

i was a bit scared of sharing the dump because it might contain passwords. Or are they excluded from the dump by default?

They're in the dump but in another partition, so in another file dumped, as those shared (in data.img and cache.img).

I'll give it a shot this evening. Am I going to get a french interface though? Anyway many thanks for sharing.

I doubt it will work as I have already flashed the system/boot images extracted from the kenya normal UPDATA.APP and it made no difference. The simlock must be somewhere else (WHERE?)

I'm still quite puzzled as to how they installed the Kenya normal rom above in the thread - there is no way I could find to have this UPDATA.APP format picked up, starting in (mod) recovery mode... I think I'm missing something very basic here as that is the format distributed by huawei...

MR

OK, I really HATE the boot screen from Bouygues, so I did my own boot screen.

I found an Huawei boot screen from the u8100. I croped the files to the u8350 screen format, and here it is! A nice boot screen for my boulder.

For the quickstart I read that the file size must be small, so I reduced the color ammount, took only key frames, and I got a quickstart boot screen.

Now to install it... To allow operator customisation these files are in /cust/ partition. For Bouygues Telecom it is in /cust/bytel/fr/media/

So: prerequisite:

1- a functional devkit. If you used SuperOneclick to root your phone it is fully functional.

2- a rooted boulder

For windows users:

- Make sure you activated the USB debug mode,

- connect the boulder to the PC, activate the USB drive, copy the 2 files (bootanimation.zip and bootanimationex.zip) to the sdcard.

- desactivate the USBdrive,

- launch a cmd window,

- type "adb devices", you should see your device on the list

- type "adb shell", the shell starts,

- type "su", the # prompt appears,

- type "mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock8 /cust", the /cust partition is now writable,

- on the boulder, use a file explorer (I use ES File Explorer and activate the root mode in the prefs) and copy bootanimation.zip and bootanimationex.zip to the place where your original files are (make a backup perhaps, in case you hate my work),

- if you want, as long as it is writable, delete the operator apk that you don't use (by me they were in /cust/bytel/fr/app/).

Done! you can reboot the phone and enjoy!

OK I know it was something fundamental. Geez...

The pdf in the kenya rom reads:

FORCE UPGRADE:

Pressing the VOLUME UP key and VOLUME DOWN key, and then

press the POWER key to power on the phone and enter the Software Upgrade

But the proper way is with

END + VOLUME UP + POWER

As specified here (for another model):

<http://goo.gl/8lU05>

MR

Still SIMLOCKED after the kenya update WTF

Downloading the french rom from dl.free.fr....

I'll give that a last shot before buying DC unlocker.

I still don't understand where the lock resides.

MR

Edited by mr1974