[RECOVERY] : ClockworkMod Recovery for Orange Barcelona/Huawei U8350

Guest Sebastian404

Ok, because for me it is not working. I have a Huawei U8350 (French Bouygues Model) and i can(t access to fastboot.

How exactely you do ? "red button"+volume_DOWN+ One push power or you push the 3 button 5 seconds ?

Thanks and sory for my very poor english.

take out usb cable

put off battary, wait 20sec,then insert it back

then press first red button (hold it) , then press volume_DOWN (hold red button+volume_DOWN ) then press power on

hold all 3 button 2-3 sec.

phone must freeze on first logo screen

now you may plug usb to phone & pc, and new device must appear in windows

install drivers for it and run fastboot.exe

Another one bite the dust! tongue.gif

Another stupid limitation the phone seller added on the firmware bite the dust. On the Bouygues ROM there is only 2 languages: english and french, and I wanted the phone to speak german.

in /cust/bytel/fr/xml/hw_defaults.xml there is a line:

<string white_languages="fr_FR,en_FR"/>
Once again make the /cust partition writable using adb shell :
adb shell

su

mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock8 /cust

Edit the /cust/bytel/fr/xml/hw_defaults.xml by simply removing completely the line <string white_languages="fr_FR,en_FR"/>, save your changes, then you have to reset the phone with CWM (yea, really wipe user data) and voilĂ  , you got back each and every languages Froyo supports. cool.gif

Edited by Anolnx

Guest lspatricio

Hi there,

I have a Huawei Boulder re-brancded by Globe Philippines as the "cloudfone Temptation". OS is Asian Rom Android 2.2.

I came across the Sprint Express

which is basically a Huawei Boulder. It says that the OS is Android 2.3 (Gingerbread.)

I hope we will be seeing a 2.3 custom rom soon. :)

Guest joybring3r

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that has contributed to this post up to this point.

I bricked my Barcelona this evening (shouldn't have uninstalled the Orange Homescreen after rooting). I came across this post and the links to the Kenya rom (thanks mr1974, for the correct process). Phone works super now - it's faster, and is a delight to use. Next step is to put in a new battery (ordered from http://uk-batteries-galore.co.uk/), unlock the phone, download LauncherPro, Juice Defender and some other apps.

Thanks, guys (registered on the site just to say thanks).

Download the Kenya rom from above in the thread.

Copy UPDATA.APP onto sdcard as specific in the pdf.

I assume you know how to boot into upgrade mode, otherwise see my post above:

<http://goo.gl/N0BLc>

• 1 month later...
Guest cyberangel22k

OK, I really HATE the boot screen from Bouygues, so I did my own boot screen.

I found an Huawei boot screen from the u8100. I croped the files to the u8350 screen format, and here it is! A nice boot screen for my boulder.

For the quickstart I read that the file size must be small, so I reduced the color ammount, took only key frames, and I got a quickstart boot screen.

Now to install it... To allow operator customisation these files are in /cust/ partition. For Bouygues Telecom it is in /cust/bytel/fr/media/

So: prerequisite:

1- a functional devkit. If you used SuperOneclick to root your phone it is fully functional.

2- a rooted boulder

For windows users:

- Make sure you activated the USB debug mode,

- connect the boulder to the PC, activate the USB drive, copy the 2 files (bootanimation.zip and bootanimationex.zip) to the sdcard.

- desactivate the USBdrive,

- launch a cmd window,

- type "adb devices", you should see your device on the list

- type "adb shell", the shell starts,

- type "su", the # prompt appears,

- type "mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock8 /cust", the /cust partition is now writable,

- on the boulder, use a file explorer (I use ES File Explorer and activate the root mode in the prefs) and copy bootanimation.zip and bootanimationex.zip to the place where your original files are (make a backup perhaps, in case you hate my work),

- if you want, as long as it is writable, delete the operator apk that you don't use (by me they were in /cust/bytel/fr/app/).

Done! you can reboot the phone and enjoy!

tried this but can't get the /cust partition as writable. using a branded U8350 named globe cloudfone from philippines. Any suggestions? Thanks for this anyway.

Guest cyberangel22k

Hi there,

I have a Huawei Boulder re-brancded by Globe Philippines as the "cloudfone Temptation". OS is Asian Rom Android 2.2.

which is basically a Huawei Boulder. It says that the OS is Android 2.3 (Gingerbread.)

did you manage to install clockworkmod? having problem installing it on my cloudfone temptation.

Guest cyberangel22k

tried this but can't get the /cust partition as writable. using a branded U8350 named globe cloudfone from philippines. Any suggestions? Thanks for this anyway.

Did manage to overwrite the bootanimationex.zip finally but when i restarted my phone, my bootscreen didn't change at all.. any help?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Max Bhai

Hi Folks

I have followed steps 3 in the PDF file to upgrade to the kenya rom.

Do i need to do anything else.

Please advise

Thanks for the help on this topic folks much appreciated.

Guest Max Bhai

Hi there,

All we need a Gingerbread to make the boulder perfect. Any news on it

Guest Max Bhai

I spent ages removing the ugly orange bloatware, the splash logos etc and the device did seem quite a bit zippier. I made one mistake though, i did a factory reset and clear cache to see how it performed. I had forgotten that i had blown away the orange home / launcher app - this stopped the device from booting.

I was about to load up the original orange UK firmware from :http://wiki.modaco.c..._Firmware_U8350 and instead thought i would take a look at the Kenya Normal one. WOW what a difference the rom is much faster than the orange one - really noticably quicker!! No nasty bloat, no branding whatsoever. The only minor issue i did have was the symbol key didnt appear to work in googlemail, this was fixed by unticking android keyboard under the settings/keyboard.

A nice stock froyo that seems (so far) to be working perfectly!! The phone is sooo much better.

Root and clockwork mod recovery back on again.. very pleased indeed!

Andy

HI I had the same issue the symbol keys didn't work. I have tried the same thing as you have and they work fine now. Thanks

However i cannot select the symbols with the navigation keys

Also the email app doesnt work.

Any help

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 6472731

Hello all users from Canada that picked up this phone from Wind for 135$. When i tried the updates in this post i lost all 3g, so try at your own risk. There was no way i found to get it back, no wind roms available on net and CWM backup from before any flashing did not restore the radio..........

Guest liamcas

Uk user here. Purchased an Orange Barcelona for my sis on Monday for ÂŁ70 delivered to store from Tesco.

1) Downloaded the Kenya Normal rom from the links on Page 2 of this thread: http://db.tt/289FzUD

2) Moved the dload folder containing APPDATE.APP in the Kenya Normal zip to the root of my SD card (SD card does not need to be empty but has to be a Fat32 format. Mine was, so that is fine.)

3) Power off your phone with sd card inside.

4) Power on by pressing POWER+RED BUTTON+VOLUME UP Button

It said, updating, installing etc.

After that my phone was restored to Kenya normal rom. I did the keyboard tweak in settings (Turn off Android keyboard) so that the SYM key would work on the hardware keyboard.

I'm going to get it unlocked on ebay for ÂŁ7.50 next.

I have to say, I have been very impressed with this. It will be perfect for my sister and is responsive enough for light internet, email etc.

Guest liamcas

A quick update......

The ebay Unlock was simple and successful. I paid ÂŁ7.48 and sent my IMEI to the ebay seller. I received back a code with the instruction to put an invalid (Non-orange) sim in the phone. It prompted for an unlock code and I entered the unlock code. Simple as that.

Working great on Virgin. Still impressed with this phone. A little slow at times, but the convenience of the touch screen with the hardware keyboard makes it really fun to use....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wendigo13

Hi Sebastian404,

Is possible to put this phone (Huawei U8350) in "Download Mode"

Im trying with usual secuences and i cant do it (in U8650 for example is possible)

Need to send custom loader, but must do it via Qualcom download mode, so if you can help me to activate will appreciate it (i not have idea how to do it)

Thanks in advance,

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anolnx

Seems there is a way to backup our roms with the /cust/ partition. Gulyuk on 4pda/XDA developped a script to do so with Alcatel OT-990 that got a /custpack/ partition. Perhaps a small mod on the script can do the trick.

Edit: OK, done!

I took the great work made by Gulyuk and modded it to our u8350. Our custom partition isn't "/custback" but "/cust" and for unknown reasons we got 2 userdata partitions, plus some minor differences on the partition table. You'll find the files attached.

How to use (again, i'll take Gulyuk's explanations):

Backup boot, system, cust via CWM recovery

• Download backup_by_Gulyuk.zip and put it on the microSD card (do not unzip).
  • Ensure that you have enough (about 261 MB) free space on the microSD card.
  • Enter ClockworkMod Recovery.
  • Select "install zip from sdcard" in the menu, then select the backup_by_Gulyuk.zip file. Wait for several minutes while the backup script works.
  • Select "reboot system now" to exit from recovery.
    • boot.img — dump of the boot partition (kernel and initramfs);
    • recovery.img — dump of the recovery partition (the one you installed);
    • system.img — dump of the system partition in yaffs2 format;
    • cust.img — dump of the cust partition in yaffs2 format.
    • data.img — dump of the userdata partition in yaffs2 format.
    • data2.img — dump of the userdata partition in yaffs2 format.

Running the backup script when the /sdcard/firmware directory already exists overwrites the previous contents of this directory (including any extra files which were placed there). Currently there is no way to keep more than one firmware backup by this method, unless you rename the firmware directory manually (but then the backup cannot be restored until you rename or copy the directory back).

Restore boot, system, cust via CWM recovery

[*]Download restore_by_Gulyuk.zip and put it on the microSD card (do not unzip).[*]Ensure that you have the firmware directory on your microSD card with valid firmware image files (boot.img, recovery.img, system.img, cust.img, data.img, data2.img).[*]Enter ClockworkMod Recovery.[*]Select "install zip from sdcard" in the menu, then select the restore_by_Gulyuk.zip file. Wait for several minutes while the restore script works.[*]Select "reboot system now" to exit from recovery.

Warning! Warning! Warning!

- I tested both scripts on by own u8350 and it's still working, but I give absolutely no warranty about these scripts and how they works. If your phone burns, bricks, looses faith in you or try to run away in love with the neighbourg's dog IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY.

- If you want to share your wonderfull customised ROM with these scripts delete data.img and data2.img before sharing as they contains your personnal datas (google accounts, emails, and so on...).

- before to try someone else's ROM, backup yours, then copy the "firmware" drawer from the SDCard in a safe place (dedicated to a french fellow that lost its keyboard configuration ;)).

Edited by Anolnx

Guest quazar666

Anybody got a solution for the Baulders that can't seem to get into the fastboot mode (holding the 'Power' & 'volume down' key. The device will stay at the 'egg timer' screen.)?

Guest alpine101
&lt;br /&gt;Anybody got a solution for the Baulders that can't seem to get into the fastboot mode (&lt;font color=&quot;#4B4B4B&quot;&gt;&lt;font face=&quot;georgia,&quot;&gt;holding the 'Power' &amp;amp; 'volume down' key. The device will stay at the 'egg timer' screen.)? &lt;/font&gt;&lt;/font&gt;&lt;font color=&quot;#4B4B4B&quot;&gt;&lt;font face=&quot;georgia,&quot;&gt; &lt;/font&gt;&lt;/font&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;<br />I installed the 'recovery manager' application referenced in the first or second posts, gets me to the recovery menu with no probs. It's in the google play shop. Edited by alpine101

• 3 months later...
Guest quazar666

I've managed to root the phone, but when trying to install recovery using recovery manager it states "Current installed Recovery: unrecognised"

I've downloaded the recovery image twice and also tried an older image...

• 2 years later...