The Monte Carlo hacking topic [update: rooted!]

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest sej7278

come on paul we want the details (and the romdump) get off the hannspree!

i'd be pretty interested in how you exploit droids, i assume you have a poke around with adb and see how you can get a script run as root - like a fake update image or overwrite an init script with loose permissions?

is the bootloader unlocked?

Guest Pelemane

Just got my Monte Carlo from the local store, and I'm totally new to hacking, where should I start?

Wait for Paul to make how to guide. It might take awhile though.

Edited by Pelemane

Guest George223

Am i jumping too far ahead in asking when you will be able to unlock the phone to other network services? and does it need to be rooted to be able to do this!

as im waiting too buy it as long as i know for sure i can unlock it easily

many thanks

Guest sej7278

Am i jumping too far ahead in asking when you will be able to unlock the phone to other network services? and does it need to be rooted to be able to do this!

as im waiting too buy it as long as i know for sure i can unlock it easily

sim unlocking has nothing to do with rooting. the blade unlocker apparently doesn't work on skate.

Guest C3P001

Has the rom been dumped yet ? If it has whats the situation on the Blade possible to install or is the kernel of use ? Also as this is obviously now available to buy in the UK via Orange has the source file been released officially by ZTE ?

Guest Raizer88

first question here (hi all!):

if i root and install a new android rom, i need to unlock it or i can use it with other operator? The sim block is hardcoded by ZTE or is OS managed?

Guest Simon O

Has the rom been dumped yet ? If it has whats the situation on the Blade possible to install or is the kernel of use ? Also as this is obviously now available to buy in the UK via Orange has the source file been released officially by ZTE ?

Not yet and the rom will be of no use for the Blade. No source yet but even if it was released it may not even support the Blade.

Guest hecatae

Not yet and the rom will be of no use for the Blade. No source yet but even if it was released it may not even support the Blade.

Does it support the Libra?

Guest Simon O

It wasn't easy to root this device as Orange have locked it down somewhat. Non of the standard exploits worked and without root initially on the device it's not possible to pull the boot.img. The boot.img needs to be extracted and rebuilt with root enabled and security disabled, the you can remount the system partition R/W and push Superuser to provide full root.

Anyway Paul managed to find a solution to this. The best thing is it has allowed him to produce a simple method for people to use. This guide should be up tomorrow along with the required files.

Guest unrandomsam

I cannot see a reason why it wouldn't work with the gingerleak kernel and a few libs swapped.

Someone should dump the radio (using QPST or whatever).

That will likely be the most useful for the blade if it works. (Could even let us use the leak gps / ril).

No new instructions in MSM722-turbo afaict.

Guest sej7278

the romdump will be useful in getting cm7 on the skate (seems we already have root+recovery!) and maybe some updated proprietary modules we can use on the blade, assuming they're the same chipset.

the source to the 2.6.35 kernel will be more useful for the blade, but also for cm7 on the skate. it would be interesting to diff the config.gz from gingerstirfry with the skate one in the meantime.

Edited by sej7278

Guest Simon O

the romdump will be useful in getting cm7 on the skate (seems we already have root+recovery!) and maybe some updated proprietary modules we can use on the blade, assuming they're the same chipset.

the source to the 2.6.35 kernel will be more useful for the blade, but also for cm7 on the skate. it would be interesting to diff the config.gz from gingerstirfry with the skate one in the meantime.

Kernel source will be needed to put CM7 onto the Skate so it's a better port. The last thing we want is some Blade roms hacked to work on the Skate with parts of the Skate ROM...

Some/most/all of the Blade CM7 might work fine.. we don't know yet but personally I'd rather it was ported properly rather than winzipping ;)

Jacob is more than willing to assist any Monte Carlo owners on getting a true port up and running.