• Announcements

• Reminder - MoDaCo position on illegal content   07/30/15

ILLEGAL CONTENT I'd like to just reaffirm MoDaCo's position regarding piracy and illegal content in the light of some recent questions / postings. Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if the contain or link to: Illegal / pirated / cracked software or sites that host such softwareNintendo emulators / ROMs or sites hosting them (in light of Nintendo's legal stance)CUSTOM ROMS You may discuss and post links to custom device ROMs on MoDaCo, provided the following rules are adhered to: ROMs must not contain any illegal 3rd party software (this includes trial versions included without permission)ROMs must give full credit to the original authorISSUES If you have any issues with this policy, please contact PaulOBrien directly via PM.
    • Reminder: Selling items on the forum directly is not allowed   07/30/15

Please note that selling items on the forum directly is not allowed by the forum rules. There is a forum for eBay auctions whereby you can list the items on eBay and link to them there. This is the ONLY forum for this type of activity. You may also advertise links to the eBay forum in your signature. Please note that selling directly in contravention of these rules will result in a warning / suspension / ban.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Skate - why hard to unlock/root

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Why did Orange make it more difficult to lock down the Skate?

The fear is that it would stifle the sales of the Skate as a result due to

1. Hard to root
  2. Hard to unlock

It was those two factors in the reverse, i.e. easy to do both, which made the Blade extremely popular and that meant more profit for both Orange and ZTE.

So, is Orange trying to put a stranglehold on it once they realized how popular the blade was and regarded it as "a mistake" as now everyone can unlock it and root it?

And perhaps, the sales of the Skate won't take off as a result..... :(

Edited by t0mm13b

Posted · Report post

Why did Orange make it more difficult to lock down the Skate?

The fear is that it would stifle the sales of the Skate as a result due to

1. Hard to root
  2. Hard to unlock

It was those two factors in the reverse, i.e. easy to do both, which made the Blade extremely popular and that meant more profit for both Orange and ZTE.

So, is Orange trying to put a stranglehold on it once they realized how popular the blade was and regarded it as "a mistake" as now everyone can unlock it and root it?

And perhaps, the sales of the Skate won't take off as a result..... :(

It has been rooted and Paul has an easy method for people now :D

Posted · Report post

But the Skate s already rooted.

Paul did it within a couple of hours of getting one, I'm no expert and maybe the processwas tricky but going by the speed it was rooted It can't have been that tricky

Posted · Report post

It has been rooted and Paul has an easy method for people now :D

Great! :D

Take that one of the list in my OP... :P

Now what about unlocking? B)

Posted · Report post

Great! :D

Take that one of the list in my OP... :P

Now what about unlocking? B)

Unlocking will need to be worked out.. not the same as the Blade so the usual generators don't work. Might use the same codes as another ZTE device though.. or not :(

Posted · Report post

Unlocking will need to be worked out.. not the same as the Blade so the usual generators don't work. Might use the same codes as another ZTE device though.. or not :(

Yeah! Pity about that.. :(

Depending on the deal expansys.ie are offering for a unlocked/sim free skate.... am weighing up options here ... get the blade defo replaced/fixed somehow, (no luck with orange either being shuffled around etc)

Wait and see, some bright spark somewhere will have it cracked no doubt! Cracked as in, NOT cracking in the sense of word of getting license key bla bla, cracked as in getting the algorithm... :D

Posted · Report post

Networks now insert random numbers into the unlock code (which are solely held by them), which means the algorithm cannot be determined, and generators cannot be created.

Posted · Report post

Networks now insert random numbers into the unlock code (which are solely held by them), which means the algorithm cannot be determined, and generators cannot be created.

the zte blade was a classic example of them doing just that !

Posted · Report post

the phone has to have some method to check its received a valid code though, so it will be there somewhere.

Maybe its a silly,but what about flashing ROM from clear ZTE Skate?Could it help?

Edited by xondrax

Posted · Report post

To answer the op - Part of the calculation of the price for a network phone is how much they expect to make off the customers over the life of owership. I think way too many people simply unlocked their blade and took it elsewhere for orange's liking.

Posted · Report post

To answer the op - Part of the calculation of the price for a network phone is how much they expect to make off the customers over the life of owership. I think way too many people simply unlocked their blade and took it elsewhere for orange's liking.

I agree, although that really should tell Orange something about their network & prices away from the phones themselves! ;)

Posted · Report post

:D I have an unused Orange sim with over £20 lying around on it somewhere for this very reason.

Orange seem to like to grab some good phones on exclusive, but Im not going to use their network when TMobile have the 6months internet add on for £20.

Posted · Report post

the zte blade was a classic example of them doing just that !

nope, the blade has a code generated from its imei using a known algorithm.

Posted · Report post

I agree, although that really should tell Orange something about their network & prices away from the phones themselves! ;)

Yep, I left Orange because they stole my initial credit and then failed to rectify despite accepting it! I try to avoid any company who has call centres abroad which are manned by robots with scripts.

Posted · Report post

I know - I got my Blade, registered it, unlocked it and stuck a three sim card in it! I did the same for a couple of other people.

Yep, I left Orange because they stole my initial credit and then failed to rectify despite accepting it! I try to avoid any company who has call centres abroad which are manned by robots with scripts.

wow you must be avoiding a lot lol! i get shocked these days when i phone someone up and don't get an accent.

but yeah, when i bought my SF it took a fair bit of haggling to get the free £10 credit i was supposed to get (argos offer) on top of the £10 i had to buy, despite me already having an orange payg sim for 5 years.

the whole mobile phone industry is a racket though.

Edited by sej7278