raceroms.co.uk

Guest wooly_sammoth

Guest wooly_sammoth

Hi all.

I recently bought a ZTE Racer and have been really impressed with the community here. It's great that there are so many custom ROMs to try out and the development is always moving in the right direction.

I'm not an Android developer and I don't know my way around a ROM. I plan to learn but time constraints are a big factor on my life at the moment (day job, freelance work in the evening and a six week old son take up a lot of time!). I did however want to give something back to the community here.

I notices that a lot of the ROMs available are hosted on MegaUpload and other such services. I also noticed that forum topics about ROMs quite often get sidetracked and it can be difficult following which ROM is being discussed in a given post.

To try and remedy some of this I have put up a site dedicated to hosting Racer Roms which can be found here http://raceroms.co.uk.

There are a few css tweaks I still want to work out and I've only managed to link through a few ROMs so far (like I say, time is short). I also want to add a few FAQ's such as how to flash/install ROMs etc.

When you upload a ROM you can give it a description so the information about a given ROM is always found with that ROM.

My intention is not to try and poach the community from here, more to provide a service like MegaUpload so that links to ROMs can be posted here as they are currently, but we get the added bonus that all Racer ROMs can be found in the same place. Note: Upload from the site doesn't work. Contact me for an FTP account if you want to upload.

I'll continue to put ROMs on the site (and fix the few style issues) and if anyone else is interested in putting some ROMs up on the site please feel free.

sammoth

Edited by wooly_sammoth

Guest bhamnav

I think people are more interested in 2.2 and 2.3 ROMs. It would be a good idea to have all the download links in one place, but only if it's updated regularly. Can you upload some more?

Guest wooly_sammoth

hi bhamnav

Thanks for the feedback.

I will be (eventually) uploading all the ROMs mentioned in this forum that I can still access. I had started at the top and got as far as the 'All ROM's to date' post.

I'll post back here when there's more available

• 1 month later...
Guest wooly_sammoth

I've got a bit more time on my hands now so I am doing a bit more work to raceroms.co.uk.

The first thing to note is that the user upload function didn't work properly. (The PHP limits wouldn't allow a file as big as a ROM). I have removed the login and upload buttons. Apologies to anyone who made an account and then couldn't upload.

I'm in the process of linking up the ROMs which have already been uploaded to the server so that they show on the site. So far I've only done the 4pda CM7 nightlies but they are all up there.

If anyone does want to use raceroms.co.uk to host their ROMs, give me a shout and I'll set you up an FTP account.

Guest equiliym

you dont have any of my custom sense-like roms :( i made them from 2.1 to 2.3.. tho 2.3 is only r1 but people use it p; might toss you links if you feel like hosting or something

Guest wooly_sammoth

Plegdroid, Thank you for your kind words. I'm hoping that the site will be of use. I'm trying to keep the look of it quite simple and uncluttered so that it's easy to find the ROMs

Equiliym, No offense meant. I'm working my way through the ROMs but please do link me up as it makes them easier to find.

Anyone else. If there's a ROM or set of ROMs you would like on the site please link them below and I'll upload them and display them on the site.

Guest plegdroid

Plegdroid, Thank you for your kind words. I'm hoping that the site will be of use. I'm trying to keep the look of it quite simple and uncluttered so that it's easy to find the ROMs

your most welcome, I'll post up a few useful links for the repository, :)

Guest wooly_sammoth

Plegdroid, Thanks for those links. I'll work through those file when I'm on my home broadband connection as transferring file takes an age when using the USB tether on the Racer.

I've added a bit of coding so that the site now displays the MD5 hash of the file so you can check the download went OK. For anyone who doesn't know, the MD5 hash of a file should be the same whenever it is taken. If you download a file from raceroms you can calculate the MD5 hash yourself. If it matches the one displayed on the site you can be sure that the file you have is the same as the one hosted on the site.

Edited by wooly_sammoth

Guest plegdroid

Plegdroid, Thanks for those links. I'll work through those file when I'm on my home broadband connection as transferring file takes an age when using the USB tether on the Racer.

glad to help :)

Guest equiliym
Equiliym, No offense meant. I'm working my way through the ROMs but please do link me up as it makes them easier to find.

none taken :P yeah im kind of busy myself so i cant follow everything thats happening.. here are some sense-like racer rom links:

SenseRacer 2.1 - Sense-like rom, based on android 2.1

SenseRacer 2.2-r3 - Sense-like rom, based on custom 2.2 android for racer

SenseRacer 2.3-r1 - Sense-like rom, based on CM7.1.0 for racer.. this one needs a bit more tweaking, some apps removed and stuff but its operational p;

Guest wooly_sammoth

Equiliym, you'll be pleased to learn that your ROMs are now up on the site and available for download.

I've been uploading various other ROMs when I get the opportunity but haven;t had a chance to work through the big, multi ROM threads yet. (but it will happen)

At the request of Racerboy, there is now a chart on the front page which shows the top 50 downloads. It's interesting to see which ROMs are being downloaded and how many times (the MTC Stock ROM was a surprise). Makes you question how many lurkers there are on this site :o

Guest wooly_sammoth

hey about newer roms and all, should i pm you or something or give link here for you to dl/upload on site? just to know :P

Hi Equiliym. Links to the actual ROMs are the most useful as that makes the download/upload process easier.

I am working slowly through the various ROM topics on the forum but I haven't got a huge amount of spare time to do it in.

If you want I could set you up an FTP account so you can upload directly to the site.

On another note I did have a bit of spare time this evening so put a logo and tagline on the site as well as a few more css style tweaks.

Still a bit to do but it's in better shape than it was.

Guest equiliym

Hi Equiliym. Links to the actual ROMs are the most useful as that makes the download/upload process easier.

I am working slowly through the various ROM topics on the forum but I haven't got a huge amount of spare time to do it in.

If you want I could set you up an FTP account so you can upload directly to the site.

On another note I did have a bit of spare time this evening so put a logo and tagline on the site as well as a few more css style tweaks.

Still a bit to do but it's in better shape than it was.

yeah it looks better now :D well ill be finishing my rom probably today so ill upload and send you the link in pm if you dont mind, i kind of want that statistic so ill wait for you to upload and give me link back so people can download from your site, that okay?

Guest Racerboy

yeah it looks better now :D well ill be finishing my rom probably today so ill upload and send you the link in pm if you dont mind, i kind of want that statistic so ill wait for you to upload and give me link back so people can download from your site, that okay?

do i "SENSE" a stats war :lol: :lol: :lol: i only joke :)

Guest equiliym

do i "SENSE" a stats war :lol: :lol: :lol: i only joke :)

ahahaha :D well i am curious about how many downloads this rom im making will have so ill post just one link /from raceroms/ and see how well it goes :P

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wooly_sammoth

Raceroms.co.uk is now back up.

Big apologies to anyone who wasn't able to download a ROM over the weekend.

My hosting company had a very strange way of dealing with me as a customer which was to suspend my hosting account, but not tell me why. The reason that they gave was that a script or scripts were causing a memory load issue and that I should optimise my scripts. They also claimed that they were unable to tell me which script was causing the issue as their servers weren't set up that way (they're set up wrong then in my opinion). Unfortunately in disabling my account, they also disabled my FTP access so I had no way to get to my files to optimise them. It took them over 48 hours to enable my FTP account despite me sending requests to them every few hours. I have finally managed to get my sites from their server.

I found the issue within 20 minutes but I don't want to host anything with a bunch of ass-hats who think it's OK to treat a customer like that.

raceroms.co.uk is now hosted on a nice new server from a hosting company with a much better reputation. I also have full root access so I am more in control of the site and will be able to fix any future issues much more quickly.

Apologies again for the downtime

Guest wooly_sammoth

Doh! more apologies needed.

It seems tat several folders of ROMs didn't copy correctly from the old server so some links have been broken (sorry equiliym).

Luckily I haven;t told the old hosting copay where to go yet so still have the site as it was. I'm copying the important files now.

Guest wooly_sammoth

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

All the ROM links should be working again now. If anyone spots anything which isn't working, just give me a poke and I'll get it sorted as soon as I can.

One of the many benefits of the new server is that I can install all sorts of stats reporting tools on it. I'll give a few stats here while I figure out a way of making the reports public without giving away too much information which could make the site easy to hack.

Since the site has been on the new server (Sunday 16th October) there have been 310 unique visitors to the site who between them downloaded 18.84 GB of ROMs. The majority of the visitors were from Brazil and 88.7% of them added the site to their favourites.

Edited by wooly_sammoth