CM7/GSF/MCSF Circle Battery Icon Mod [CM7.1.0, GSF B17-B27 and MCSF v1]

Guest nrev

Here is a simple mod to CyanogenMod 7, Ginger Stir Fry and Monte Carlo Stir Fry to just change the battery icon to a thin circle, as shown below (with three variations, in later posts):

post-812805-0-98176000-1313161117_thumb.

The charging phase is animated, with the centre alternating between the plug and the percentage figure.

Everything else stays as originally designed by wbaw (for GSF/MCSF) or as in the Androidian and System CM7 themes.

Nothing clever here, I just used the UOT Kitchen, but thought I would post the results to save anyone else the trouble of making their own (especially as UOT kitchen is often busy or overloaded with requests). If you want to adjust anything then the UOT Kitchen is open for anyone, and to get you started you could use my settings - just extract /settings/settings.uot from any of the zips in this thread and upload it to the kitchen (also see the FAQ, below).

Please do not attempt to install a GSF/MCSF mod on CM7, or vice versa. If you do, the ROM will almost certainly not boot and you will have to reflash the ROM - not the end of the world as there is a simple solution, but a waste of time nevertheless - see FAQ, below.

The versions in this and the next few posts are working on GSF B17-B19 and B21-B23. See post #7, for versions compatible with GSF B20 and MCSF v1. See posts #22-25 for versions for GSF B24-B27. Go to post #26 onwards for versions for CM7.1.0 (note that the system theme mods in posts #32-35 will not work on the latest nightly builds on CM7.1.0, so please only use the Androidian theme mods in post #26 onwards for the nightlies).

GSF-thin-circle-battery-new-colours-white-numbers.zip

MD5: 9f64788ab4a5667a2d8f6348b6987ac5

(alternative fat circle icon for GSF B17-B19 and B21-B23 in the next post and versions with green numbers in posts #4 and #5).

Install with ClockworkMod as usual.

To avoid problems, or if you have experienced problems and want a solution:

First of all, this thread contains separate mods for CM7, GSF and MCSF, please do not make the mistake of installing the wrong one on your ROM.

Secondly, to be safe, always do a Nandroid backup in ClockworkMod before installing any mod/theme. If you forget it isn't all that difficult to restore things to how they were (see FAQ, below), but it is a waste of time, rather than having the safety net of restoring the Nandroid backup.

FAQ:

Q1. After installing the mod my phone does not boot or continually shows the boot animation.

A1. You have probably installed the wrong mod/theme for your ROM (e.g. the GSF version on CM7). Don't panic it is easily fixed without losing any data. Boot into recovery and reflash the original ROM zip. Do not wipe any settings otherwise you will lose your configuration, SMSs, call logs, etc. when you get back into your ROM.

A1a. If you have downloaded and installed the correct mod for your ROM it may have been corrupted when you downloaded it or copied it to your phone - check the MD5 sum. Reinstall the original ROM zip to revert (see A1, above).

Q2. After installing I have lost some icons or features of my ROM.

A2. This is probably because you have installed the circle battery mod over another theme you have previously installed. In general, theme mods are incompatible with one another. Reinstall the original ROM zip (see A1, above) then install whichever theme mod you prefer out of the two.

A2a. Your ROM may be a derived one from the original release modified by another developer which has altered the framework or SystemUI. In which case you can restore the developer's features by reflashing their ROM (see A1, above).

A2b. ADVANCED: You can make a custom hybrid theme yourself with the features of the ROM/theme plus the circle battery mod: take framework-res.apk and SystemUI.apk from the ROM/theme and upload them to UOT kitchen under System files in the File upload tab. Extract settings.uot from your favourite circle mod zip file from this thread and also upload it under Kitchen's settings (or just chose your own battery icon from the many options in the UOT kitchen). Submit it, wait an hour or so and you will have your own custom theme mod with all the goodies from the ROM/theme of your choice plus the circle battery icon.

Q3: I have a different release of <xyz> ROM can I install this theme?

A3: It is only safe to do so if the framework-res.apk and SystemUI.apk has not changed. If you are not sure and you are brave you can take a punt, but refer to A1, above for instructions on how to recover if things go wrong.

Q4: I have a different ROM, is there a circle battery mod for it?

A4: See A2b, above.

Q5: Can you change the colours?

A5: See A2b, above, and play with the options in UOT kitchen.

Q6: My phone doesn't go into deep sleep or the notification bar is flaky after installing this mod.

A6: The theme mod should not affect CPU or sleep settings - please make sure you haven't made changes to the CPU governor settings that may be the real cause of the problem.

edited: (12/8/11) new version with close-to-gingerbread colours. (16/8/11) Added pointer to B20 versions in post #7. (17/8/11) Compatibility with MCSF mentioned. (24/9/11) Added version for B24-B26. (12/10/11) Added CM7.1.0 themes in posts #26-29). (19/10/11) Added FAQ.

Edited by nrev

I like it, thanks for this one but the green color is not exactly the gingerbread green ;)

Fair enough. I have rebaked them using #89BB0C for the green, which seems closer (if you have a better colour please shout). Posts #1 and #2 have the updated versions. This and the next post have alternative versions with green rather than white numbers.

post-812805-0-29983700-1313155262_thumb.

GSF-thin-circle-battery-new-colours.zip

MD5: 4c11c51c6f565b086fb5065241d6eb30

Edited by nrev

The versions below work with GSF B20 and MCSF v1 (if you have B17-B22 then use the ones in posts 1, 2, 4 and 5). The titles are self-explanatory and the images of the B19 versions in the posts above are valid for these too.

GSF-B20-fat-circle-green-numbers.zip

MD5: 583daa249c44413b88e7688da0fa97a9 [mirror]

GSF-B20-fat-circle-white-numbers.zip

MD5: 517b2c4fbd12395780b22715cda3efa9

GSF-B20-thin-circle-green-numbers.zip

MD5: 95389aba9ca181b2146feccc09ad9b6e

GSF-B20-thin-circle-white-numbers.zip

MD5: f2086954bcdb65889c819a1a9b99da9c

Edited by nrev

Guest stephen m

Fair enough. I have rebaked them using #89BB0C for the green, which seems closer (if you have a better colour please shout). Posts #1 and #2 have the updated versions. This and the next post have alternative versions with green rather than white numbers.

post-812805-0-29983700-1313155262_thumb.

GSF-thin-circle-battery-new-colours.zip

MD5: 4c11c51c6f565b086fb5065241d6eb30

Flashed this via CWM, but when it reboots it just keeps looping. Any ideas?

I wanted to edit post #7 to be absolutely clear that those versions would not work on b21 but I only have access to the forum from my phone at the moment and the mobile version doesn't seem to allow editing of posts.

• 2 weeks later...

Although the framework is slightly different in B23 it appears that there are no substantial changes so the files in posts 1, 2, 4 and 5 should work on B23. I've tested them and haven't seen any problems so far.

When I use this mod (1st link) it deletes the CRT screen-off animation I had. Running GSF b22, used REaddCRT to get the animation.

Any way to get this mod without it removing the animation?

When I use this mod (1st link) it deletes the CRT screen-off animation I had. Running GSF b22, used REaddCRT to get the animation.

Any way to get this mod without it removing the animation?

This mod, REaddCRT (and most theme mods for that matter) make changes to the framework. They work by writing their own modified framework-res.apk file over the one that is currently installed which makes them incompatible with one another: whichever one you have installed first will be removed if you install another over the top.

One way round this would be to cook your own hybrid mod in UOT Kitchen. For example you could select your preferred battery icon options in UOT kitchen then upload framework-res.apk from REaddCRT and SystemUI.apk from GSF.

Guest Desd1nova

Just installed GSF-fat-circle-battery-new-colours-white-numbers.zip on GSF b25 - seems to work fine for me!

Edit - Think its killed deep sleep for me now - testing

Edit 2: Ok used the zip from and it seems to work - Deep sleep aok too

Edited by Desd1nova

Guest snowbord

Is anyone noticing the Status / Notification bar randomly disappears? It will occasionally come back but just as frequently it disappears and the only way to get it back is to reboot. Using GSF b26.

Did not happen with the old kernel, not sure what it could be.

I am also using Launcher Pro and JuiceDefender.

edit: It was due to the governor used - InteractiveX.

Edited by snowbord

The previous versions do appear to work on B24-B26 even though the framework had changed. But to be 100% sure it is better to use the versions in this and the following 3 posts which have been built with the current framework.

GSF-B26-fat-circle-white-numbers.zip

MD5: dc3886342c81dc324825a65bd94adfcf

Note: this also works on B27.

Edited by nrev