CyanogenMod 7 for ZTE Skate (Updated 06/01!!)

Guest tilal6991

Guest Atomix86

https://market.andro...otmail.Z7&hl=en that one

i use it as it syncs icals that you have on your hotmail calendar

seems very odd, assume it is the hotmail app as its pretty dodgy, one of the options in the settings is in spanish for no apparent reason

Yeah sounds a bit iffy, I'd stick to the native app tbh, it's better for battery life too ;).

I checked for this with a pair of decent phones with a standard TRS stereo jack and didn't experience much noise at lower volume.

I then tried a set of ZTE in ear jobs with the TRRS extra ring connector on the jack (presumably for the mic) and I heard the noise and interference people talk about.

So wondering - is experiencing this noise mostly related to:

1. Use of 4 contact (TRRS?) mic + cans jack vs standard stereo circuit ?

2. Headphone Impedance (dunno what ZTE in ear phones are - my full size headphones are 80 Ohms) ?

3. Headphone Sensitivity

Any thoughts?

Using a Skate? I'm a little confused by this. AFAIK the skate only has a stereo input jack and cannot deal with headphones containing in-line controls at all. I've tried several such headphones (with 4 contacts instead of the standard 3) and the extra contact shorts out one of the stereo ones, giving a very low-volume mono output. Almost unusable. At first I thought I had a defective unit. If any one else is able to use 4-contact headphones without issues then I'd like to know about it so that I can get a replacement.

However, I do get interference at low volumes. I only notice it occasionally and for such a cheap piece of hardware, it's something I can live with. Noticed the issue on stock ROM, cm7 port and Atomic so I think that it's a hardware thing.

PS. Current headphones are Etymotic HF2s which have an inline mic. Attached a stereo extension cable to make them usable with the Skate.

Edited by kb123

Using a Skate? I'm a little confused by this. AFAIK the skate only has a stereo input jack and cannot deal with headphones containing in-line controls at all. I've tried several such headphones (with 4 contacts instead of the standard 3) and the extra contact shorts out one of the stereo ones, giving a very low-volume mono output. Almost unusable. At first I thought I had a defective unit. If any one else is able to use 4-contact headphones without issues then I'd like to know about it so that I can get a replacement.

However, I do get interference at low volumes. I only notice it occasionally and for such a cheap piece of hardware, it's something I can live with. Noticed the issue on stock ROM, cm7 port and Atomic so I think that it's a hardware thing.

PS. Current headphones are Etymotic HF2s which have an inline mic. Attached a stereo extension cable to make them usable with the Skate.

My phone is an OMC. The headset I tried came with my old OSF1 but the OMC came with an identical headset with the same part number on label HMZ8-C4-OMTP and they both have 4 poles (TRRS) on each jack plug.

I reckon it is configured like this:

TIP = LEFT AUDIO OUT

RING1 = RIGHT AUDIO OUT

RING2 = MIC (but pressing Switch shorts to Ground)

Sleeve = Ground

If I am correct - if the Skate had a 3-pole socket, the mic would not work as RING2 would be permanently shorted to the Sleeve. My MIC works therefore I expect the Skate has a 4 pole socket.

If a 3 pole jack headphone set is plugged into a 4 pole socket, the MIC input will be shorted to ground. Somehow this appears to reduce the noise on my Skate at lower volume - i.e. grounding the mic input (presumably an electret circuit) seems to stop noise getting into the audio output.

BTW I don't know why the Skate would not be able to read the switch but never tried using it.

Sorry this is getting way off topic - I expect the behaviour is not ROM-specific.

Edited by CIM1

Guest Asghar_UK

I'm currently using this rom and everything works well apart from the wifi speed. I can only download at a max of between 4.9 to 5Mb's, seems to be maxed out. Is that common with this rom?

On my san francisco with the Moldovan Mile High Mountain Pie RLS7 I get the maximum speed of 10Mb's that my broadband allows.

I'm currently using this rom and everything works well apart from the wifi speed. I can only download at a max of between 4.9 to 5Mb's, seems to be maxed out. Is that common with this rom?

On my san francisco with the Moldovan Mile High Mountain Pie RLS7 I get the maximum speed of 10Mb's that my broadband allows.

Download speed is not rom dependent,that is down to your provider.

For the record,I get just over 10mb speed at home on cn7 3.5

Edited by Guest

Download speed is not rom dependent,that is down to your provider.

For the record,I get just over 10mb speed at home on cn7 3.5

My experience is same as Asghar_UK on this one. The provider sets the maximum speedtest speed you can get, but any choke point in the chain can slow that down...

My speeds are:

PC CAT 5 wired link to router 20Mbps

OSF1 blade on Swedish Spring 15Mbps

OMC Skate on CM7 3.5 5Mbps

What causes the massive speed difference between 2 devices accessing same wireless access point?

e.g. WiFi protocol used, router model, apps installed, apps running, overclock/governor settings, memory write speed on sd card, different OMC/Skate chipsets, different CM7 settings etc...

Any ideas?

My experience is same as Asghar_UK on this one. The provider sets the maximum speedtest speed you can get, but any choke point in the chain can slow that down...

My speeds are:

PC CAT 5 wired link to router 20Mbps

OSF1 blade on Swedish Spring 15Mbps

OMC Skate on CM7 3.5 5Mbps

What causes the massive speed difference between 2 devices accessing same wireless access point?

e.g. WiFi protocol used, router model, apps installed, apps running, overclock/governor settings, memory write speed on sd card, different OMC/Skate chipsets, different CM7 settings etc...

Any ideas?

A more valid question would be whether there are differences between ROMS on the same phone, rather than comparing different hardware.

A more valid question would be whether there are differences between ROMS on the same phone, rather than comparing different hardware.

Actually I was really trying to comparing same hardware and same ROM.

Unless I misunderstood, jikobutsu reported getting 10Mbps wi-fi on a CM7 3.5 Skate? - I have the same ROM and only get 5Mbps. Significantly other devices I have can do a lot faster on my same wifi setup - therefore I assume some other difference on the Skate than the ROM alone causes the speed variance?

Edited by CIM1

Guest ragsta_

softkeys nice addition. I've had a problem.. tried uploading an item with the ebay inbuilt scanner and got a force close with the camera. Whether ebay is installed or not im still getting a force close :S any solutions apart from re installing the rom ?

softkeys nice addition. I've had a problem.. tried uploading an item with the ebay inbuilt scanner and got a force close with the camera. Whether ebay is installed or not im still getting a force close :S any solutions apart from re installing the rom ?

Everything works for me.

The only things that have been changed in 3.5 by me is systemui.apk and framework folder.

I do not think those things affect camera,but dont hold me to it.There may be bugs introduced into the rom from what I have done,as it is not the official way to enable softkeys in cm roms ;) but I have not experienced any problems other than first boot,setup wizard crashed and there is a 4G menu in settings.

When cm goes 7.2 final,tilal may release a last build,hopefully with softkeys and undervolt :)

CM7.2 with softkeys=a donation from me!

@tilal,do you have a paypal account ?

Edited by Guest

Guest ragsta_

Everything works for me.

The only things that have been changed in 3.5 by me is systemui.apk and framework folder.

I do not think those things affect camera,but dont hold me to it.There may be bugs introduced into the rom from what I have done,as it is not the official way to enable softkeys in cm roms ;) but I have not experienced any problems other than first boot,setup wizard crashed and there is a 4G menu in settings.

When cm goes 7.2 final,tilal may release a last build,hopefully with softkeys and undervolt :)

CM7.2 with softkeys=a donation from me!

@tilal,do you have a paypal account ?

lol have not installed it yet, its happening with the normal normal 7.2 rom. I didnt make it clear sorry.

Guest Pillhead

Anyone help me as things with this rom were going lovely.....................filmed a short video last night and sent it via whatsapp...........no problem there..........

tryed to take a picture and send it today via the same method and its asking me to insert sd card.......................even if i just use the standard android camera app its asking me to install a sd card...........

if i go to system settings and storage it can see the sd card and so do all the other apps?

i am using link2sd but it was working fine? anyone with any ideas? thanks?

If i go to the gallery i also get the same message about no sd card inserted?

Please help me as this rom was perfect but without a camera!!??

PS the videos are still there if i browse the sd card manually

Edited by Pillhead

Guest Pillhead

ill try that but it seems to be something more with link2sd i think as i tried to install a couple of new apps and they wont install as it says no space.

i might have to reinstall the rom.................NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest SanShine

For those with camera problems. The solution is quit easy.

The problem is not the camera itself, but the android application that is running the camera.

So to take photos you must find an application beside the android standard camera "app".

One i would recommend for now is CameraMX. Theres a free version in the market.

It supports the Flash LED and a resolution of 1600x1200 (~2 MP). Theres no video option.

Theres is a possibility that there is a better app that will support 5MP, video, and so on, but for now this must work.

Maybe someone has more time than me and can try a few apps and tell us which one will work and support everything.

I have installed 3.5 over the weekend. Up to now was using a tweaked stock.

Now it seems my compass, I am using GPS essentials, has north the wrong way round.

Anyone with this?

I have installed 3.5 over the weekend. Up to now was using a tweaked stock.

Now it seems my compass, I am using GPS essentials, has north the wrong way round.

Anyone with this?

Yes looks to be 180 degrees out... odd as other compass applications seem to orient correctly.