CyanogenMod 7 for ZTE Skate (Updated 06/01!!)

Guest tilal6991

Guest tilal6991

one thing i don't understand is why CM7 rom is 88.7mb packed & about 130mb unpacked.

stock rom 125mb packed & about 204mb unpacked

why is the dalvik-chche on CM7 nearly double of the stock rom ?

meaning on CM7 you have about 20mb less internal memory even tho the rom its alot smaller than stock with no crap. ? blink.gif

I think I accidentally made the data partition slightly smaller than stock by mistake...

I'll fix that.

Guest kallt_kaffe

If I didn't have the kernel source how did I overclock it?

Only you didn't. I did, and the method used originates from a method discovered by someone, who's name I've forgot, that overclocked the HTC Hero. I've rewritten some parts but the principle is still the same.

Guest tilal6991

Only you didn't. I did, and the method used originates from a method discovered by someone, who's name I've forgot, that overclocked the HTC Hero. I've rewritten some parts but the principle is still the same.

Yes - and I have to thank you hugely for that - what I meant was I included it in the kernel of the Skate with some mods to the config.

I kind of said what I did wrong - what I meant was "If I didn't have the source how did I include the overclock in the kernel"

Sorry about that :P

Guest kallt_kaffe

one thing i don't understand is why CM7 rom is 88.7mb packed & about 130mb unpacked.

stock rom 125mb packed & about 204mb unpacked

why is the dalvik-chche on CM7 nearly double of the stock rom ?

meaning on CM7 you have about 20mb less internal memory even tho the rom its alot smaller than stock with no crap. ? blink.gif

The stock ROM is odex:ed. That means that for every stock .apk that has a corresponding .odex doesn't occupy any space in the dalvik-cache. CM7 is not odexed and therefor all system .apks occupy space in the dalvik-cache.

The ideal would be to repartition the NAND but such hack cannot be done until ZTE release a software upgrade that can be hexedited. We allready do this for the ZTE Blade and the ZTE V9.

been using this for a while and have found very fyew problems, excellent work by the way wink.gif

1. sound is very low without the Dolby digital, if you could get it back in would be great

2. battery life seems to be a bit worse than stock

3. phone can get rather hot when charging and using

battery life been the biggest for me.

thanks for keeping the OMC alive! smile.gif

From my feedback earlier, I have also noticed the battery is warmer than normal and can get uncomfortably hot when on charge (when using the phone), I have also noticed the impact on battery life, haven't tested the sound.

Another thing...I was using 480MHz max and even at that speed CM7 seems fast when going through settings, menu etc :) ...excellent!

Edited by Navie

Guest tilal6991

The stock ROM is odex:ed. That means that for every stock .apk that has a corresponding .odex doesn't occupy any space in the dalvik-cache. CM7 is not odexed and therefor all system .apks occupy space in the dalvik-cache.

The ideal would be to repartition the NAND but such hack cannot be done until ZTE release a software upgrade that can be hexedited. We allready do this for the ZTE Blade and the ZTE V9.

How will we know when ZTE release a software update?

Guest kallt_kaffe

How will we know when ZTE release a software update?

Historically it has only happend when ZTE released 2.1 -> 2.2 upgrades (for the ZTE Blade and the ZTE V9) with a few exceptions where they've addressed serious issues. The only expception that comes to my mind is the 2.1 -> 2.1 upgrade in Hungary that fixed the issue with Hungarian Blades only being able to access 256Mb.

I doubt the Skate will get one unless the release a Skate with a broken firmware that needs fixing.

I have another idea. Could you give me the output of these commands:

cat /proc/mtd

df -h

Guest tilal6991

Historically it has only happend when ZTE released 2.1 -> 2.2 upgrades (for the ZTE Blade and the ZTE V9) with a few exceptions where they've addressed serious issues. The only expception that comes to my mind is the 2.1 -> 2.1 upgrade in Hungary that fixed the issue with Hungarian Blades only being able to access 256Mb.

I doubt the Skate will get one unless the release a Skate with a broken firmware that needs fixing.

I have another idea. Could you give me the output of these commands:

cat /proc/mtd

df -h

$ cat /proc/mtd

dev: size erasesize name

mtd0: 00600000 00020000 "recovery"

mtd1: 00400000 00020000 "boot"

mtd2: 00180000 00020000 "splash"

mtd3: 00080000 00020000 "misc"

mtd4: 03980000 00020000 "cache"

mtd5: 0dc00000 00020000 "system"

mtd6: 0a280000 00020000 "userdata"

mtd7: 00100000 00020000 "oem"

mtd8: 00180000 00020000 "persist"

$ df -h

Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on

tmpfs 210.6M 32.0K 210.6M 0% /dev

tmpfs 210.6M 0 210.6M 0% /mnt/asec

tmpfs 210.6M 0 210.6M 0% /mnt/obb

/dev/block/mtdblock5 220.0M 135.0M 85.0M 61% /system

/dev/block/mtdblock6 162.5M 87.4M 75.1M 54% /data

/dev/block/mtdblock4 57.5M 2.9M 54.6M 5% /cache

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 472.4M 88.7M 359.4M 20% /sd-ext

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 472.4M 88.7M 359.4M 20% /data/sdext2

/dev/block/vold/179:1

14.3G 1.2G 13.2G 8% /mnt/sdcard

df: /mnt/secure/asec: Permission denied

/dev/block/dm-0 3.1M 1.5M 1.6M 49% /mnt/asec/com.antutu.ABenchMark-1

/dev/block/dm-1 8.1M 6.5M 1.6M 80% /mnt/asec/com.google.android.apps.maps-1

/dev/block/dm-2 9.1M 7.3M 1.8M 80% /mnt/asec/com.kevin2516.theme.XperiaArc-1

/dev/block/dm-3 3.1M 1.6M 1.5M 51% /mnt/asec/net.cdeguet.smartkeyboardtrial-1

There you go.

Guest kallt_kaffe

/dev/block/mtdblock5 220.0M 135.0M 85.0M 61% /system

/dev/block/mtdblock6 162.5M 87.4M 75.1M 54% /data

It might be possible to swap the data and system partition but that would require changes to both init.rc and clockwork recovery. Might make things a bit too complicated. Not sure if it is worth the trouble.

It can be done by dumping the NAND over JTAG if anyone has access to the right equipment (I do, but don't have access to a skate). The necessary parts can be pulled out of the NAND dump and reconstructed into an update image.

Partition sizes can also be manipulated in the kernel, but in my opinion that's ugly and likely to cause more problems (If you ever run a kernel that doesn't have matching partition boundaries you will get corruption).

There's no GPS signal in the status bar, and when testing with a GPS analyzer, there are no satellites found. Have now flashed to Blueginger rom, and it's still the same. This is only since updating to this rom?!

Do I need to reflash the kernel?