Upgrading from a ZTE Blade to a Optimus 2X.

Guest Anil K Solanki

Guest Anil K Solanki

Haa, haa

You caught me! I have a folder for everything. My motto, there is no need for an non-filed file.

Hi Carlos, isn't the phone just one big folder anyway? :) So basically your putting folders into a folder. You gotta love semantics. Anil

Guest carlosge

Caramba!

I have been waiting since October 8th to receive my phone from simplyelectronics and thus far no news.

When I finally receive the phone, it will feel definitively like a Rolls-Royce compared to the Nokia 1010 I am currently using.

Any idea how to flash CM7 in this old Nokia? or any ROM?

Guest Anil K Solanki

Caramba!

I have been waiting since October 8th to receive my phone from simplyelectronics and thus far no news.

When I finally receive the phone, it will feel definitively like a Rolls-Royce compared to the Nokia 1010 I am currently using.

Any idea how to flash CM7 in this old Nokia? or any ROM?

Hi Carlos, I hope your handset arrives quickly. As for your NOKIA I'm afraid you can't flash Cyanogenmod, which is only for certain ANDROID handsets. Sorry you will just have to be patient. The O2X won't feel like a Rolls Royce, it will feel like a Space Shuttle! Anil :)

Guest everett_psycho

Ok i concede on this one, does anyone know if/how i can back up my apps and data with MCR and restore them to cm7. I fancy moving over to it but titanium won't play ball between the roms

Guest carlosge

Mama mia!

It was hell over the last two days (obviously not all the time as I have to do some work!)

Man, the Blade was made to be tinkered with, the O2X really does not like to be tampered with. I managed to get a couple of white hairs over my head.

Briefly:

* I arrived home Wednesday evening to see my O2X sitting on my desk. First impressions: superb phone, a bit bigger than I was expecting but I think I will get use to the size as time goes by...

* No time to waste, open package, phone out, insert a 2GB mini SD card I originally received with the blade (512 ext, 1.5GB Fat32), turn phone one for the first time, excited... first disaster, LG decided to set the phone to full volume at boot and it woke up my daughter from her sleep.

* ... finally my daughter is sleeping again, PC on, load LG drivers.. done, plug in the phone and let drivers load... done, load SuperOneClick and click the root button... great phone rooted!

* ... load market, download ROM manager, install CWM recovery... error... again... error... again... error... reboot & again... error... phone off, battery out & again... error... brush teeth then again... voila!

* ... flash CM7 N175 + Gapps.... nice! Look very impressive, check everything... I am then a very happy man. Okay I have to sleep, big working day tomorrow, put pijama, give good night kiss to O2X... disaster cannot bring it back from sleep... black screen.

* ... again PC on (its then 2am), lets have a look at all the pages that I bookmarked in case of problems... I am tired and thus feeling like I am reading Chinese (which for me looks very difficult)... lets do it again all re-flash CM7 N175... oh ho! now market crashes every time I touch the phone.

* and another problem, and another, and another...

At the end, I have learnt lots of stuff. I have become more acquainted with my phone, while I learn about different types of recoveries, basebands (flashed two or three different), at some point the phone totally refused to cooperate with me and just got stock in the boot image in constant vibration. So I ended up bringing it back to stock. By then I was feeling pissed off with myself,, thinking why didn't i just got another blade if it was very easy to deal with, never gave any troubles, blah blah blah...

All this time, one little thing in the back of my mind was that the internal SD card space was never showed in FreeSpace application, while concomitantly the space reported once as cache appeared later as the ext partition and sometime it just did not appeared.

So this time in my last attempt to flash CM7, after a full factory reset, I decided to take out the 2GB SD card. So I turn on the phone, root, load ROM manager, load CWM recovery and flash CM7 N177 + Gapps. All without the external SD card.

Well I am happy to report that my last try went very smoothly, no errors no nothing, all went as expected. And for the last 6 hours the phone has been behaving as I was hoping, fast and furious, but trouble free.

I am again a happy man (although now with a couple of white hairs)

I am going to bed now and tomorrow I will dedicate all afternoon & evening to my daughter in order to compensate for my reluctance to read her favorites books while I am trying to work out what was wrong with my newly bough O2X.

One last thing. Paul big thank you for all the tools, flashes, and disaster recovery posts you have made. They really saved the day.

I hope from now on, that I can be as happy with my O2X as Anil is with his.

Guest Anil K Solanki

Ok i concede on this one, does anyone know if/how i can back up my apps and data with MCR and restore them to cm7. I fancy moving over to it but titanium won't play ball between the roms

Hi everett_psycho, I'm sorry but I have only ever used CyanogenMod, never touched MCR. But I don't see wht you can't simply wipe the "Dalvik Cache" and the "Cache Partition" using ClockworkMod, and then flash CyanogenMod. Leaving all your user data intact? The only issue I can think of is, some ROM's use EXT4 some use EXT3, I'm not sure which ROM's use which, sorry.

If you haven't already done so, I suggest posting your question in the MCR thread, perhaps you will get a definitive answer there.

Have fun. Anil

Guest Anil K Solanki

Mama mia!

It was hell over the last two days (obviously not all the time as I have to do some work!)

Man, the Blade was made to be tinkered with, the O2X really does not like to be tampered with. I managed to get a couple of white hairs over my head.

Hi Carlos, I'm glad your handset has arrived. I must admit I found your post very entertaining, your baptism of fire certainly sounded painful. All because of an Micro SD Card. I don't feel the O2X is any less tinker-able than the venerable Blade. Just has different needs and quirks.

Anyway at least you have your priorities in order, and your daughter got her stories, tell her Anil & Susy from Italy say Ciao. Enjoy the O2X, use it for a few weeks, then pickup and use the the Blade. You will find the screen looks dull & lifeless, feels small, and the worst will be the clicky buttons. But, like your first car, you will always have fond memories of it.

Have fun. Anil

Guest carlosge

Hi Carlos, I'm glad your handset has arrived. I must admit I found your post very entertaining, your baptism of fire certainly sounded painful.

Hi Anil,

I am also glad that now we can laugh about it. My O2X continues to behave tamely, and I hope it will remain that way for the years & nighties to come.

I mentioned your's & Susy's names to my daughter (17 months). In her painfully cute voice she replied "ciao, ciao!"

Titanium Backup should be fine, I used it to migrate from an early MRC to CM7

Guest everett_psycho

Titanium Backup should be fine, I used it to migrate from an early MRC to CM7

Weird, when i reload titanium in cm7 it says there is nothing to restore, I'll give anils method a shot, i may stupidly be pressing wipe user data when im flashing, there will be some egg on my face if he's hit the nail on the head Edit: well I feel like a dumb ass, not erasing user data meant I didn't even need titanium, everything remained in tact

Edited by everett_psycho

Guest Anil K Solanki

Weird, when i reload titanium in cm7 it says there is nothing to restore, I'll give anils method a shot, i may stupidly be pressing wipe user data when im flashing, there will be some egg on my face if he's hit the nail on the head Edit: well I feel like a dumb ass, not erasing user data meant I didn't even need titanium, everything remained in tact

Hi everett_psycho, purely out of interest, did you use CyanogenMod 7.1 RC or a nightly?

Anil

Guest everett_psycho

Hi everett_psycho, purely out of interest, did you use CyanogenMod 7.1 RC or a nightly?

Anil

i went for the stable one but i've stumbled across some problems and managed to screw the handset up. in simple trying to fix it i reflashed MCR and it's now stuck in the boot loop problem but for some reason wont boot to CWM recovery, desperately trying to download the stock firmware so i can start the process from scratch, fingers crossed i can get it back up and running soon but the links to pauls stock rom seems to be broken :-\

Guest Anil K Solanki

i went for the stable one but i've stumbled across some problems and managed to screw the handset up. in simple trying to fix it i reflashed MCR and it's now stuck in the boot loop problem but for some reason wont boot to CWM recovery, desperately trying to download the stock firmware so i can start the process from scratch, fingers crossed i can get it back up and running soon but the links to pauls stock rom seems to be broken :-\

Hi everett_psycho, damn, sorry to hear of your troubles. I just checked the stock ROM download and the links were working. Anyway, I hope you get it sorted. Perhaps Rusty can step in and suggest a way to get CWM back on your phone without having to Flash the stock ROM?

Also, I would suggest trying CyanogenMod nightly 178, the latest version, works great for me. All the best, I hope you get it sorted without to much hassle. If you do any NVFlash PC based stuff, I strongly recommend using a USB port at the back of your computer. One that is directly off the MOBO, and not one connected to a USB header, like the ones on the front panel. I spent several hours trying to update the Baseband, which didn't work until a kind soul over on XDA suggested the USB tip. It worked first time with the USB tip. Just something to bear in mind.

Anil

Link to the nightlies, just in case you need it.

Edited by Anil K Solanki

Guest everett_psycho

Cheers for the help, I've sorted it now, well back to how it was before i put cm7 on it. A flash of the baseband i had saved seemed good enough to get it working and my titanium backup was in tact and saved the day where cwm backup failed. Just downloading cm now or take 2 where i wipe the right bits but not all the data.

I didn't have usb issues luckily, all the laptop ports are motherboard mounted nd on my desktop i never use the front ones, they are much more hassle than they are worth me seeing as it doesn't fit under the desk properly the back ones are in easy reach Edit: which Google apps did you use with cm7? I seem to be getting force close regularly on the calendar framework and email, its saying I'm on version 2.3.7 but the g apps in rom manager only go up to 2.3.5 Edit 2: ignore all that I've fixed it, a wipe of calendar data then deleting and re-adding my accounts seems to have done the job, I don't think cm liked inheriting mcr's accounts very much

Edited by everett_psycho

Guest everett_psycho

Gargh, I feel like I'm overposting in this thread but over hit another issue, in simple my call log isn't finding any contacts, if I go in and edit a contact it will then pick it up but I don't fancy redoing all my contacts if I don't have to, does anyone have any idea what could be stopping it picking up contact information.

I've also got problems outputting 1080p video through HDMI but I think that's a problem with cm in general