Realistic alternatives?

Guest thelongmile

Guest thelongmile

I'm trying to find a decent alternative to this since it's impossible to get unless I want to pay ridiculous money. The Spec of this seems to blow most things out of the water until you get to the £250 mark, so are there any realistic alternatives?

I know the Monte Carlo is one, but are there any others? I'm somewhat turned off from the MC because of the build quality, processor spec etc. As far as I was aware (and I know very little) the only thing that really sort of matched this device was the HTC Desire...

Can anyone put me straight?

Guest tilal6991

I'm trying to find a decent alternative to this since it's impossible to get unless I want to pay ridiculous money. The Spec of this seems to blow most things out of the water until you get to the £250 mark, so are there any realistic alternatives?

I know the Monte Carlo is one, but are there any others? I'm somewhat turned off from the MC because of the build quality, processor spec etc. As far as I was aware (and I know very little) the only thing that really sort of matched this device was the HTC Desire...

Can anyone put me straight?

The OMC really isn't that bad. The build quality is better than the Blade's but not top notch. As for the processor - it is not great but again it's performance is better than you'd expect for the specs.

I'm trying to find a decent alternative to this since it's impossible to get unless I want to pay ridiculous money

Where do you live and how much money is a ridiculous amount?

Guest de_shepherd

Saw somewhere that Expansys have a similar price for the Acer Liquid Metal at the moment which seems to be similar spec to u8800

they've dropped it to £149 now

Guest thelongmile

Thanks all for your suggestions.

I've taken a good long hard look at the Liquid Metal, and despite some really good reviews, I don't think it's the one for me.

The overall look, size of the bezel and the UI, just put me off. I'm afraid that the things I like about the U8800 are the things that I can't seem to get.

I like the slightly curved design, with the all glass front and capacitive buttons. I like the fact that it looks a little chunky and seems less plastic fantastic and more of a solid unit. Neigh the form factor really is the one for me, and it seems to look in my eyes at least, a whole lot better than the acer.

I love the solid chunky feel of phones as well. Hell even the HTC Wildfire FEELS nice, it just feels heavy, like a solid lump rather than a collection of components.

About the nearest thing looks wise to this, is the HTC sensation.

Sorry guys, I know you tried, but I think I'm going to have to keep looking. Just such a shame the community isn't thriving as much on here!

Edited by thelongmile

Guest Pelemane

Expansys have dropped the Acer to £150 and have loads in stock, so I'm curious how it stacks up against the U8800 (and Skate)

http://www.expansys.com/acer-liquid-metal-205669/

Skate is poop, U8800 and Liquid Metal have similar specs and similar price, but U8800 has a lot better community and more ROMs available etc.

If you look here, you can see that it's pretty dead and there is nothing at XDA about Liquid Metal.

Guest NeostarNeko

Forget that Acer thing if you can't get a hold of a Huawei U8800, then keep checking every once in a while, you never know you might be lucky. Also I suggest you keep saving the pennies cause there will be more new phones releasing soon, and look out for the Huawei Vision which should be out next month.