Aargggh. confused help

Guest carlsberg89

Guest carlsberg89

Managed to flash my original blade when the oled screens first came out. Have just got a new blade but things have move on a pace.

With so many threads its hard to find the most upto date guide and thus the best step by step guide.

Am i right in saying i need to do the following

Unlock the phone, confirm it is TFT and then confirm it is gen1 using mr pigfish.

Now the confusion, do I flash using clockwork method or the TPT method? From reading the threads i think i want to upgrade the phone to gen2 and put either ginger stir fry or CM7 rom on.

Can someone confirm the above and point me in the right direction for a step by step guide as i haven't flashed for quite a while(ooo er missis)

Thanks in anticipation for yr patience

You only need to unlock phone and confirm it is gen 1, screen type does not matter. You are correct - you need to convert to gen 2, using the TPT method, then install your choice of rom from clockworkmod, or use the all-in-one gen2 and rom TPTs which should be available in the relevant forum threads.

Guest carlsberg89

Okay soooooo, have unlocked. Have confirmed Gen1 with eclair 2.1. Have installed AFV from market.

Is it safest to use an all in one gen1-gen2 plus rom or upgrade to gen2 first and then instal rom? orrrrr is it safer to use the more traditional clockwork way. Sorry to be such a noob but i have read and read the posts and stickies and have ran up my own backside.

Need a tiny little bit of hand holding at this stage cos i dont want to brick it. Thanks

I personally used the gen1 to gen2 TPT, then installed the rom manually using clockworkmod. I would say this is slightly safer, as the TPT is the only risky part, and by reducing the amount of TPTing you are doing you are reducing the chance of bricking it. Plus you learn to use clockworkmod which allows you to upgrade to newer roms in the future having gained some experience in it.

So you would download the gen1 to gen2 CUSTOM TPT from http://android.modaco.com/topic/337798-gen1-to-gen2-tpt-upgrade/

Check the MD5 of the downloaded file using AFV against the MD5 stated in the above page.

Download the rom from the relevant page, the clockworkmod zip version. Check MD5.

Start the gen1 to gen2 process as described in the relevant page.

Install the rom using clockworkmod > After tpt is done you should be in clockworkmod automatically, use "install zip from sdcard", "choose zip from sdcard", pick your rom file, confirm. Then use "wipe data/factory reset" option, then reboot.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 109android

Im in the same positiona s Carlsberg above. Flashed to a custom Modaco 2.1 R2 ROM last year and have'nt tried changing it since. The sticky threads are useful, as are the previous posts in this thread.

My reason for posting in the "Aaargh confused help" ( biggrin.gif ) thread is that i have no idea which ROM to try. From what i gathered from the last week of reading, its been advised that its good to try CM7 first, and then other ROMs such as GSF CAE etc. Theres the thing, i have no idea what version of CM7 i should be try (i know, its been asked before). Heres what i know (i think!):

• "stable" releases are not necessarily stable blink.gif
  • Nightly releases can be broken
  • Theres a RC1 release i could try from BWAW, inn the inclusive package (Gen1-Gen2 TPT with included CM7 ROM) - this RC1 was released 27th June
  • Roms can behave very differently handset to handset, diff bugs/probs

Anyone help/advise me on which CM7it might be best to try?

Edited by 109android