Unlock 512MB?

Guest zomgbugs

Guest zomgbugs

Hi.

I know this phone has a 512MB + 256MB memory chip, but the OS doesn't seem to be using/accessing those 512MB.

Is there a way to unlock this memory (like the ZTE Blade does)?

Thank you.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think that the ZTE Racer has 512MB, it's just 256MB.

This guide for the blade says so:

This Guide will NOT work on ZTE Joe (Vodaphone 845) or the ZTE V9 or the ZTE Racer or the V880 - You may BRICK your device if you try using the files mentioned in this post.

Guest zomgbugs

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think that the ZTE Racer has 512MB, it's just 256MB.

This guide for the blade says so:

I disassembled the cell phone, and in fact it does have a 512MB+256MB chip (all in the same chip, for memory and storage). I don't remember the number of this chip, but it's very easy to find its specs on google once you know it.

From what I've read, these cell phones share almost the same hardware (CPU, memory modules, wifi+bluetooth, mobile, etc.), the makers just change the cameras, display, etc. For who wants to compare the Blade and the Racer: http://wiki.modaco.c..._Blade#Hardware

I think that the guide only works for that specific devices because of some problems related to memory addresses at O.S. level and the way the unlocker program does its work. The hardware doesn't change at all between each version of the ZTE Blade, it's just a software problem. The guide just says "don't do it on these models".

I disassembled the cell phone, and in fact it does have a 512MB+256MB chip (all in the same chip, for memory and storage). I don't remember the number of this chip, but it's very easy to find its specs on google once you know it.

From what I've read, these cell phones share almost the same hardware (CPU, memory modules, wifi+bluetooth, mobile, etc.), the makers just change the cameras, display, etc. For who wants to compare the Blade and the Racer: http://wiki.modaco.c..._Blade#Hardware

I think that the guide only works for that specific devices because of some problems related to memory addresses at O.S. level and the way the unlocker program does its work. The hardware doesn't change at all between each version of the ZTE Blade, it's just a software problem. The guide just says "don't do it on these models".

In that case it would be nice to have a way to unlock the full RAM. I'm sure problems like Launcher redraw will disappear with 512MB RAM.

Looking forward for someone to find a way to do it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest gagan313

man if somone could make a rom that could do this then that would be great but i think its kinda immpossible tho and very hard to do. and a lot of risks involved(eg bricking the phone)

The problem is that this is not at OS level but firmware level. We would need a TPT, but if something goes bad you can take your racer to the trash. RIP

If anyone could confirm the chip model (post some pictures of it) would be nice. I won't disassemble my brother's racer neither brick it :P

Guest gagan313

If you say "BRICK" the phone at OS level, then you always have Recovery and can revert to something working... Need expert opinion here ;]

no when i say brick i mean as in not even getting to the android logo stage !!sad.gif

• 1 month later...
Guest deadlink

I'm not sure, but we have 4gb ROM and 2Gb Ram... I really do not understand ...

sheme.jpg

We have Samsung K524G2GACB-A050 chip. Full photo here

Datasheet here

Someone can explain this? What is a memory chip in the Blade?

Edited by deadlink

Guest Racerboy

@deadlink if that is true then in theory the chipset has been capped to a certain limit and a new flash would possibly unlock the rest of the resources?

Guest deadlink

@deadlink if that is true then in theory the chipset has been capped to a certain limit and a new flash would possibly unlock the rest of the resources?

maybe... I think that Blade method suitable for us.

Guest SoftStoner

Most intriguing. How is Racer's memory map laid out? This is ARM, there really is no standard boot process, so I suppose the kernel relies on a memory map and device tree obtained from the bootloader, but I could be way off (didn't really look at the kernel source). I just hope all address lines are physically connected! :)

Most intriguing. How is Racer's memory map laid out? This is ARM, there really is no standard boot process, so I suppose the kernel relies on a memory map and device tree obtained from the bootloader, but I could be way off (didn't really look at the kernel source). I just hope all address lines are physically connected! :)

by the datasheet they are connected through hardmode, BGA ballbearing in the board, each pin is for a group of banks.

maybe we have lucky and the X850 have the same 8 banks linked, like the Blade.

Edited by oozi

Guest hecatae
I'm not sure, but we have 4gb ROM and 2Gb Ram... I really do not understand ...

We have Samsung K524G2GACB-A050 chip. Full photo here

Datasheet here

Someone can explain this? What is a memory chip in the Blade?

Blade is 4g4g and v880 is 4g2g

Guest SoftStoner

Gah! Forget this... I really should stop posting before going to sleep. According to the datasheet, we've got the RAM arranged as 2 ^ 26 registers (64 M) with 32 bits each, which accounts to exactly 32 / 8 * 64 = 256 MiB. No expansion possible, I'm afraid... :(

Edited by SoftStoner

actualy the chip has 32 banks of 64mb cas 3 DDR @ 400mhz, individualy linked in to the board. 64mb for each pin., as you can see in page 5 and 9 of the datasheet

we have to know how many of those pins are liked to the board.

the blade has 8 pins linked to the board.

Guest SoftStoner
the blade has 8 pins linked to the board.

That's impossible, as the Blade would only be able to access 64 MiB of RAM (remember, all sizes in the datasheet are in bits, not bytes). The Racer's MCP has 2 Gib (256 MiB). As far as RAM is concerned, I don't believe there's anything we can do. As for flash, perhaps we could gain access to the whole 4 Gib (512 MiB), but that might not be such a good idea (think spare sectors).

Guest deadlink

I said I'm not sure, because in Russian Gb means gigabytes =) I have not been able to carefully look datasheets and immediately laid out everything here for all to see and make conclusions...

Now I have carefully studied the datasheet and I can say that we have 256MB RAM = (

Nevertheless, we have 512MB ROM and I think we could all use...

We use all memory...

# df -h

Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on

tmpfs 82.8M 44.0K 82.8M 0% /dev

tmpfs 82.8M 0 82.8M 0% /mnt/asec

tmpfs 82.8M 0 82.8M 0% /mnt/obb

/dev/block/mtdblock5 220.0M 140.5M 79.5M 64% /system

/dev/block/mtdblock6 162.5M 91.5M 71.0M 56% /data

/dev/block/mtdblock4 37.5M 1.2M 36.3M 3% /cache

220+162,5+37,5+82,8 = 502,8M

+ boot+ recovery = 512M...

Edited by deadlink

Guest SoftStoner

220+162,5+37,5+82,8 = 502,8M

+ boot+ recovery = 512M...

Yes, that's pretty much what I suspected. Just a minor nit, tmpfs mounts use no storage space (only RAM, but swappable, in case of memory pressure).