Vega review - the 'plastic screen' appears again

Guest Graham Macleod

Guest Graham Macleod

The Vega headlines in 'El Reg's' review of 10 budget tablets here. It's an interesting read and generally quite well thought out.

The writer has one major reservation: "The screen would be better if made of a harder plastic or glass". This is the third professionally written review I've seen of the Vega that claims that the screen is made of plastic. What's going on?

The Kogan tab does look very appealing. I'm interested in some cheap tablets for classroom use. Anyone have one of these?

Guest richardmlea

Am sure mine is glass. I wonder if newer builds have dropped the manufacturing quality?

Mine (and i belive most) has a plastic screen and was built in Jan 2011 (according to the stickers inside the case). Is yours definitively glass. Flick the screen with your fingernail. You should be able to tell if its plastic. If its glass then you have may have a different digitizer and it would be interesting to know the part number as the plastic fronted digitizer is proving hard to find.

Cheers

Richard

Guest warriorscot

My original was glass the replacement was plastic(more like pyrex which is why people are confused) it scratches much easier than the old screen but the digitiser works better so you can't have it all.

Guest scarrie

It is hard and cold temperature, plastics feel warmer and usually have some give in them when pressed.

I spent a year refurbishing mobile phones for DSGI and The Link, so I've seen many variations and seen many cracked screens. Materials for plastic has improved a lot, so it can be hard to tell for sure, but my best guess is that it is glass.

Guest EasyTarget

This is TheRegister; a real parsons egg; great in parts but avoid the stinky bits (and especially the resident troll), the fact that they beat the rest of the UK press hands-down on technology coverage does not stop them getting basic stuff wrong left, right and centre.

EG: the same writer also says that the Vega has an excellent Modding community (true of course) and that:

I’d guess that a working Honeycomb port is only a matter of months away.

Which made me wonder if he was getting his info through Dixons PR (who presumably arranged the demo machine) and did not get as far as MoDaCO or TabletRoms. I notice the same author has an article about 'Spicing up old Androids with CyanogenMod' published today so I suspect that they are getting to grips with how big and vigorous the Android ecosystem is.

Guest Graham Macleod

..it would be interesting to know the part number as the plastic fronted digitizer is proving hard to find.

Cheers

Richard

I'm pretty sure mine is glass. Serial number is 4800382, I think it's one of the earliest ones.

Guest richardmlea

I'm pretty sure mine is glass. Serial number is 4800382, I think it's one of the earliest ones.

Hi Graham, where is that sereil number from? I have not had my LCD out so I have not seen the back of the digitizer but the numbers on the ribbon are nothing like that. The numbers on my ribbon are.

48R-101012-1300

101H11A1

The last number is the digitizer part number. Here is the techical data http://www.gwinc.com.tw/products/index.php?mode=print&id=202

So it says its glass. :blink:

I am 99% sure mine is plastic, it is warm to the touch not cold, it has a bit of give when pressed like Perspex ( not Pyrex, that's cookware ;) ) and when I flick it with my fingernail it sounds like plastic, especially when I compare it to my Nokia X6 which has a gorrila glass screen.

I my still be wrong but I am sure mine is plastic.

Guest Monleyfish

Hi Graham, where is that sereil number from? I have not had my LCD out so I have not seen the back of the digitizer but the numbers on the ribbon are nothing like that. The numbers on my ribbon are.

48R-101012-1300

101H11A1

The last number is the digitizer part number. Here is the techical data http://www.gwinc.com.tw/products/index.php?mode=print&id=202

So it says its glass. :blink:

I am 99% sure mine is plastic, it is warm to the touch not cold, it has a bit of give when pressed like Perspex ( not Pyrex, that's cookware ;) ) and when I flick it with my fingernail it sounds like plastic, especially when I compare it to my Nokia X6 which has a gorrila glass screen.

I my still be wrong but I am sure mine is plastic.

According to my teeth, I'm pretty sure mine is glass, feels just like the gorilla glass on my SGS. But I could be wrong. Btw I bought it in July 2011.

Guest richardmlea

According to my teeth, I'm pretty sure mine is glass, feels just like the gorilla glass on my SGS. But I could be wrong. Btw I bought it in July 2011.

Mine was also bought in June this year but was manufactured in January/February. Its possible that I have a repaired unit I suppose but it could be completely random.

I think we can conclude that there are both plastic and glass screens as warriorscot has had both.

Maybe they changed to a plastic front because the glass one was to weak.