BlueGinger Custom ROM - ZTE Skate / Monte Carlo (Updated 23/09!)

Guest tilal6991

• 1 month later...
Guest dadashi

Tilal I have patched your deodexed GingerBlue V2 for RTL right to left language support, specificaly Arabic and Hebrew.

The RTL patch only works on deodexed roms.

I would have liked to see more deodexed roms, yours here is the only one. SHame you've stopped supporting it.

With your permission I'll post it for other people who want RTL support.

BlueGingerV2 with RTL support for Arabic and Hebrew

Edited by dadashi

Guest franco22

Hi,

I'm a newbie but I installed this on my OMC/ZTE Skate and I was wondering if anyone could answer a few questions for me:

Is it possible to delete the apps that already come installed with this? (Eg: the Car ones?)

How can I get rid of the widget on the front page and the twitter widget that already comes installed?

Thanks

Edit: Just found a new problem, I can't input any text on to a message box or a search box, the keyboard is working but it's not letting me type it on to the box, any ideas? Did I do something wrong?

Edited by franco22

Guest TouchyAndalou

Is it possible to delete the apps that already come installed with this? (Eg: the Car ones?)

Yes, ideally you do it before you flash the rom by opening the zip and going into system/app and then deleting the apps you don't want (be careful though, deleting the wrong apps can cause problems - although if it's just the car ones, you should be fine) Alternatively, you need an app that allows you to change the file system from read to write, like Root Explorer or something similar.

How can I get rid of the widget on the front page and the twitter widget that already comes installed?

Long press on the widget until the trash can appears and then drag the widget over the trash can and once it becomes red, release the widget.

Edit: Just found a new problem, I can't input any text on to a message box or a search box, the keyboard is working but it's not letting me type it on to the box, any ideas? Did I do something wrong?

No idea, works fine for me. Did you wipe data, cache and davlik cache before flashing?

Guest franco22
No idea, works fine for me. Did you wipe data, cache and davlik cache before flashing?

Yeah, I wiped everything. I don't understand either, it was working fine yesterday. Any ideas what it could be ? Basically, it's letting me type but the text isn't going into any input box such as a messaging box or even the search box for apps/etc.

Thanks for the widget thing, it worked. I haven't tried root explorer because I can't search for it :(

Edit: I managed to fix the text problem, does anyone know if there's an app similar to root explorer but free? I just want to delete a few apps that came with this rom which I would never use. Thanks

Edited by franco22

Guest dadashi

Guys why don't you use the BlueMonte1.8D rom, it's the newest, or the Cyanogenmod 7, that's extremely stabile...?

Blueginger is from September hasn't been supported anymore.

Guest TouchyAndalou

Guys why don't you use the BlueMonte1.8D rom, it's the newest, or the Cyanogenmod 7, that's extremely stabile...?

Blueginger is from September hasn't been supported anymore.

Fair point, I'd recommend franco do that as well. I was just trying this rom out, as it's the only one I hadn't yet used.

I'm hoping Tillaz will be able to crack the LED torch/video resolution in his next release; I'm basically just killing time until then. As for CM7, it's very good and stable, but no Dolby kinda kills it as a rom for me.

Franco, I wouldn't worry about removing a couple of apps if I were you; you'd be better off trying out several different roms before settling on one, especially if you're new to android. Have fun.

Guest franco22

Fair point, I'd recommend franco do that as well. I was just trying this rom out, as it's the only one I hadn't yet used.

I'm hoping Tillaz will be able to crack the LED torch/video resolution in his next release; I'm basically just killing time until then. As for CM7, it's very good and stable, but no Dolby kinda kills it as a rom for me.

Franco, I wouldn't worry about removing a couple of apps if I were you; you'd be better off trying out several different roms before settling on one, especially if you're new to android. Have fun.

Thanks, yeah I'm new to android, my first android phone actually, I just saw this one and thought I'd try, first time hacking a phone as well that's why everything seems so confusing haha, I think I'll try the one Blue Monte one now, is it the same process to install it as this one? Use clockworkrecovery, put the .zip rom file on the SD card , wipe everything and install it from there? Thanks

Edited by franco22

Guest TouchyAndalou

Thanks, yeah I'm new to android, my first android phone actually, I just saw this one and thought I'd try, first time hacking a phone as well that's why everything seems so confusing haha, I think I'll try the one Blue Monte one now, is it the same process to install it as this one? Use clockworkrecovery, put the .zip rom file on the SD card , wipe everything and install it from there? Thanks

Yeah, same process. Be aware that Bluemonte is a larger rom, meaning that it won't fit in a 150mb system partition if you've flashed one of the TPT's in the other thread (you need a 200mb one) If you haven't done that, then ignore me completely. :)

One other thing: I'd recommend considering using the following tutorial to gain more space for apps http://android.modaco.com/topic/346620-link2sd-guide-updated-please-read/ because it's highly likely you'll run out of space before too long.

I did it the other day, and it's solved my space problems. The only deviation I made from the guide is where it tells you to create your partition at 507.54 MB, I went for approx 300, as I don't think I'll ever have 500mb worth of apps.

• 1 month later...
Guest tilal6991

Bringing this back from the dead for one last update during to the request of people here. That update will definitely be the last unless people really bug me again :P

Guest TouchyAndalou

Bringing this back from the dead for one last update during to the request of people here. That update will definitely be the last unless people really bug me again :P

You're a star. Will be great to have an updated dolby-enabled rom.

Did this rom have quite a stock theme, I can't remember?

Guest tilal6991
You're a star. Will be great to have an updated dolby-enabled rom.

Did this rom have quite a stock theme, I can't remember?

It was stock essentially.

Guest dadashi

tilal can you pleeeasse put darktremors script in it too....link2sd is horrible

elitmovil did a great job of including that in his rom along wizh the Ap2sdGui, I'd say ap2sd script in rom is probably the most important thing in any rom considering phones have such limited memory....

who enjoys spending their time moving apps one by one to sd-ext or installing boj job apps to do that...and even then getting regular low storage messages

Edited by dadashi

Guest TouchyAndalou
tilal can you pleeeasse put darktremors script in it too....link2sd is horrible

elitmovil did a great job of including that in his rom along wizh the Ap2sdGui, I'd say ap2sd script in rom is probably the most important thing in any rom considering phones have such limited memory....

who enjoys spending their time moving apps one by one to sd-ext or installing boj job apps to do that...and even then getting regular low storage messages

I've found link2sd to work fine whenever I've tried it, although admittedly I don't have any experience with darktremor and may just not know what I'm missing out on. Can you give a quick rundown on why darktremor is so superior to link2sd? Cheers.

Guest dadashi

proof is in the pudding....try a rom with darktremor app2sd built in, no extra apps needed.... what more can I say

have you installed 160 titanium backup apps including 3x navigation apps in one go without low storage breaking up the backup restore....? link2sd cant do it....

Guest TouchyAndalou

proof is in the pudding....try a rom with darktremor app2sd built in, no extra apps needed.... what more can I say

have you installed 160 titanium backup apps including 3x navigation apps in one go without low storage breaking up the backup restore....? link2sd cant do it....

Nah, I don't use titanium to restore apps. But either way I'll be happy. Link2SD works fine for my purposes, while on the other hand, if darktremor's as good as you say it is, I'll be happy with that too.

Guest dadashi

what do you use for restoring apps?

Titanium is the quickest and easiest way to get all the apps up and running in the space of 5 minutes on a new rom, but it needs the sd-ext partition to keep being able to that....

we have nearly 10 different roms to choose from thanks to Tilal, Tilaz and Elitmovil....

if the manufacturers invested a little more ram/rom maybe 1 or 2GBs instead of measly 160MB for apps we wouldnt need the sd-ext anymore.....

Guest Redstarr1

I don't have 160 apps but I just made a fine transition without breaking up using Link2SD. You just have to make sure that the first thing you do when setting a new ROM up is to give Link2SD permission to make automatic links. Reboot and after that no problem at all. Okay maybe with Darktremor you wouldn't have to reboot, not familiar with that.