Can't boot in Clockwork recovery

Guest BoeckxL

Guest BoeckxL

Hi everyone

I'm screwed! I was installing some apps when my ZTE Blade ran slow, I thought I'd better restart him, so I did.

I've rooted my phone like half a year agoo everything went fine: Superuser, clockwork recovery, .. I don't really now which gen (1/2) I have?

Neither do I know which thing I've put on my phone, I think SilverSpring? (Is that possible)

But when I tried to restart my phone it got stuck on the flashy 'android' word. Not the first time something like that happens, so I pulled out my battery and

restarted my phone again. Same thing over and over again, so I tried starting my phone in clockwork recovery (by equally pushing the volumebutton).

My phone didn't do a thing. So I decided to push the startup button and the volume down button: the green android dude came on my screen, went away

annd came back, then I thought I would be able to start it in recovery mode by pushing the middle of the volume key when the green android appeared.

Then my screen just turns black and I can't get my phone on anymore, I need to get my battery out and restart it but then it's stuck in the 'android' thing again.

I'm pretty noobish about this, I've been looking around for a way to solve this problem but actuallyI don't have much time at the moment (deadlines for school),

but I really really want my phone working again. So could someone please help me a bit?

Cheers

Guest t0mm13b

When you say it gets stuck on the android logo:

Two things:

• The recovery is a gen2 on a gen1 handset and hence appears stuck.
  • The handset is a gen2 and using a gen1 recovery

As you say you do not know which is it - you could try using the TPT method (BTW - check around first!) - the question that pops into my head is this "Is it safe to carry out the TPT procedure?" without knowing which gen are you on?

Really - you are going to have to take a gamble here and toss between gen1/gen2?

But the odds are stacked in your favour - Swedish Spring is gen1, so good luck with the TPT :)

Guest Pelemane

When you say it gets stuck on the android logo:

Two things:

• The recovery is a gen2 on a gen1 handset and hence appears stuck.
  • The handset is a gen2 and using a gen1 recovery

As you say you do not know which is it - you could try using the TPT method (BTW - check around first!) - the question that pops into my head is this "Is it safe to carry out the TPT procedure?" without knowing which gen are you on?

Really - you are going to have to take a gamble here and toss between gen1/gen2?

But the odds are stacked in your favour - Swedish Spring is gen1, so good luck with the TPT :)

SS works on gen1 and gen2. You can use TPT on gen2 device if you haven't updated it with those windows apps/if it wasn't gen2 when you bought it from store.

If you have updated your phone with those windows poop things or it was stock gen2, then TPT just doesn't start. So there shouldn't be any risk using TPT.

Guest Pelemane

@Pelemane:

Would it b0rk things up if the OP TPT'd without knowing which gen is used?

No. But if he has updated earlier to gen2 with those windows update things or it's stock gen2 device, then TPT doesn't start.

I have changed my partitions many times by just using gen1->gen2 TPT again on my gen2 Blade.

Guest BoeckxL

Hi!

Woow, thanks for the many replies already! First a thing I forgot to say, I did look around for a while and couldn't really find anything related to it! But I have to study atm and don't have the time to spend hours searching for some info, but I do want my phone to work again. The sooner the better. So I'm sorry about that!

The reason that I couldn't find anything I thought was related to it is that Clockwork recovery worked a while agoo, so I don't think the thing you guys suggest is the solution (otherwise Clockwork recovery would have never worked I guess?). When I bought the phone I knew if it was gen 1/2 but I can't remember, damn you parties :(

Thanks for the help, should I use the suggest solution then?

Cheers!

Guest BoeckxL

I tried to fast boot it but it didn't work I go the message 'waiting for device' installed the driver properly though.

Besides: I can't keep the phone 'stuck' on the green android guy, but it should when I similarly push the 'on' button and keep the vol up button pushed, it goes further to the 'android' screen, the white letters and it keeps looping.

Something else very strange: if I try to start my phone in recovery (push both on-key and volume key) nothing happens, I don't feel the vibration that the phone is turned on. when I let go of all the buttons I can't do anything anymore, I need to take out the battery before being able to start my phone again!

I should be studying right now so this is quiet frustrating! thanks

Guest tcpaulh

I'm not able to acces SD card, nor can I unzip it on my phone, I can't get in clockwork recovery?

Thanks for the help!

borrow a card reader

unzip the tpt to your sd card so there's an 'image' folder on the card

put the card back in your blade

follow tpt instructions

you dont need clockwork to run tpt

Guest BoeckxL

Damn, are you serious?! Is that the only option? I'm away from home for 2 more weeks and I don't know anyone who lives here. Damn :s

borrow a card reader

unzip the tpt to your sd card so there's an 'image' folder on the card

put the card back in your blade

follow tpt instructions

you dont need clockwork to run tpt

Guest BoeckxL

Can someone explain me what happened with my phone?! Did I brick it?

Why would there be a problem with GEN1/2 not working with my clockwork recovery? I used it before and then it worked?

I wasn't rooting the phone or anything so I don't think I bricked it?

:(

Guest t0mm13b

What apps were you installing prior to when the issue occurred? :)

If your handset was bricked - you would not have seen the Android Robot on boot...nor would it even boot, but it does sounds like the clockworkmod's kernel got confused by the gen1/gen2 addressing scheme.

To explain further to understanding why I said in my previous postings...

Gen1 kernel load at address 0x2A0000

Gen2 kernel load at address 0x260000

Either your handset is a Gen1 which possibly attempted to try load a Gen2 recovery kernel into the address 0x260000 and likewise for a Gen2 handset which possibly attempted to try load a Gen1 recovery kernel into the address 0x2A0000.

Conflict of address clashing - that is what is clue-ing me in on why your handset is hanging with the Android Robot staring at you.

I would like to be proven wrong on this, so take the above with a grain of salt.... :)

Edited by t0mm13b

Guest BoeckxL

An app for filming and an app for taking pictures (from a blackmarket app to be honest),

but I don't think that can be the problem: the apps were perfectly installed and I was using them.

I went back to my home screen and noticed my phone was a bit laggy. That ennoyed me and I thought:

It might help if I restart my phone, so I shut it off and restarted it and it didn't work.

So it's not that the app caused my phone to fall out or something like that, that's why I'm that curious,

I don't understand it!

Thanks for the effort, really appreciated :)

Guest t0mm13b

An app for filming and an app for taking pictures (from a blackmarket app to be honest),

but I don't think that can be the problem: the apps were perfectly installed and I was using them.

I went back to my home screen and noticed my phone was a bit laggy. That ennoyed me and I thought:

It might help if I restart my phone, so I shut it off and restarted it and it didn't work.

So it's not that the app caused my phone to fall out or something like that, that's why I'm that curious,

I don't understand it!

Thanks for the effort, really appreciated :)

Strange malfunction there so.... cannot fathom a reason as to why it won't start :blink:

Can it boot all the way up into the ROM instead?

From what you've said, nothing could have interfered with the operation but .... care to tell me what is the exact name of the app you got from the blackmarket - those apps can be deemed untrustworthy... malware... etc .... coincidence that the handset got laggy and you thought restarting would do the trick....

Can you not borrow a pal's computer to get the TPT onto the sdcard?

Guest BoeckxL

If your handset was bricked - you would not have seen the Android Robot on boot...nor would it even boot, but it does sounds like the clockworkmod's kernel got confused by the gen1/gen2 addressing scheme.

To explain further to understanding why I said in my previous postings...

Gen1 kernel load at address 0x2A0000

Gen2 kernel load at address 0x260000

Either your handset is a Gen1 which possibly attempted to try load a Gen2 recovery kernel into the address 0x260000 and likewise for a Gen2 handset which possibly attempted to try load a Gen1 recovery kernel into the address 0x2A0000.

Conflict of address clashing - that is what is clue-ing me in on why your handset is hanging with the Android Robot staring at you.

I would like to be proven wrong on this, so take the above with a grain of salt.... :)

That sound reasonable, though there are two things pretty awkard:

Why was I able to load the clockwork recovery a week agoo, and two weeks agoo. Why does he mistake the adresses now and not then?

Btw: It's not hanging with the android robot staring at me: he disappears and afterwards you see the word 'Android' and the letters are lighting up one by one (like a mexican wave in the word, I hope you understand what i mean :D), it appears to be loading, but it keeps loading...

Thanks for the explanation!

Guest t0mm13b

That sound reasonable, though there are two things pretty awkard:

Why was I able to load the clockwork recovery a week agoo, and two weeks agoo. Why does he mistake the adresses now and not then?

Btw: It's not hanging with the android robot staring at me: he disappears and afterwards you see the word 'Android' and the letters are lighting up one by one (like a mexican wave in the word, I hope you understand what i mean :D), it appears to be loading, but it keeps loading...

Thanks for the explanation!

Oh I see.. it keeps loading.... Like with Android logo shimmering shining as the boot progresses?

As matter of interest - can you plug in the usb into the handset (my thinking - adb would have already been loaded ... and quite possibly would have been able to transfer the TPT across to the sdcard and reboot... hopefully?!)

That's a funny one - I experienced that two days ago on a Samsung Europa - and I was forced to having to use Odin (BTW have two computers here running Linux - needed to get a 3rd computer but with windows on it.. so I ended up wasting entire afternoon installing winblows on the 3rd computer) just to get Odin to flash the Europa - that is a sign of cache/data corruption!

In other words a complete reflash hence the suggestion to get TPT onto the sdcard and re-flash the entire thing will do the trick :)

If the pc does not recognize the device plugged in - the usb subsystem in android has fallen foul of the cache/data corruption - thus the only way - borrow a pal's computer that has the sdcard reader and use that instead to transfer the TPT to your blade's sdcard....

Sounds awkward I know but the effort would be worth it :)

Guest BoeckxL

Oh I see.. it keeps loading.... Like with Android logo shimmering shining as the boot progresses?

As matter of interest - can you plug in the usb into the handset (my thinking - adb would have already been loaded ... and quite possibly would have been able to transfer the TPT across to the sdcard and reboot... hopefully?!)

That's a funny one - I experienced that two days ago on a Samsung Europa - and I was forced to having to use Odin (BTW have two computers here running Linux - needed to get a 3rd computer but with windows on it.. so I ended up wasting entire afternoon installing winblows on the 3rd computer) just to get Odin to flash the Europa - that is a sign of cache/data corruption!

In other words a complete reflash hence the suggestion to get TPT onto the sdcard and re-flash the entire thing will do the trick :)

If the pc does not recognize the device plugged in - the usb subsystem in android has fallen foul of the cache/data corruption - thus the only way - borrow a pal's computer that has the sdcard reader and use that instead to transfer the TPT to your blade's sdcard....

Sounds awkward I know but the effort would be worth it :)

Jep, the shiny shimmering Android word keeps shimmering!

By the way! When I connect my phone to USB and put my phone on the PC recognizes my ZTE phone and I'm able to safely remove the hardwarde: this is what he says about it: Location 0 (ZTE HSUSB Device). But I can't reach my SD card when I go to my computer (I can't see it).

So I'm hoping the USB subsystem in Android hasn't fallen out but that I'm just to stupid to see how it needs to be done ;)

Or is it possible that it has fallen out but that it still recognizes the phone?

Cheers man! :)

Guest t0mm13b

Jep, the shiny shimmering Android word keeps shimmering!

By the way! When I connect my phone to USB and put my phone on the PC recognizes my ZTE phone and I'm able to safely remove the hardwarde: this is what he says about it: Location 0 (ZTE HSUSB Device). But I can't reach my SD card when I go to my computer (I can't see it).

So I'm hoping the USB subsystem in Android hasn't fallen out but that I'm just to stupid to see how it needs to be done ;)

Or is it possible that it has fallen out but that it still recognizes the phone?

Cheers man! :)

Okie... things are defo looking up... what you need to do is this, pull down the TPT image, manually unzip it and push it across to the sdcard.

Try this, we're going to enter adb shell:

adb shell

If you get into it and can see a hash sign ('#') to confirm and check, do this,

ls /sdcard/

You should get a directory listing of the data on the sdcard. If you do... you're halfway there...
  • Hit Ctrl+D to get out of adb shell, do not power off or anything... the usb subsystem is functioning...
  • Unzip the TPT (I used the 'Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-v8-custom-rom' of the TPT) in your own directory. And you will have to push each one of those files into a directory on the /sdcard called image.
Supposing on your computer you create a folder C:\Image and is where the TPT files are unzipped, then the following applies, yo push the files across to the /sdcard/image do this, on the command line in the folder C:\Image, :

adb push file_name_1 /sdcard/image/file_name_1

replace file_name_1 with the actual filename used. Repeat until done.

Taking cue from here, once you have all the files copied over - 'Power off, wait a few seconds, then power on with menu & vol+ held.'. Let the upgrade commence! And it will reboot in a few minutes and should be back in Clockwork Recovery. From there, start flashing a ROM on to the handset and you're good to go :) (Be sure to wipe clean the image folder on the /sdcard after you've done this :)

Guest BoeckxL

After searching around what ADB was, downloading loads of stuff and eventually ending up with ADB for dummies (nice one!) I reached at the point where I should see the list of what's on my SD card. I do get the hashtag and then I typ LS /SDCARD/ (without the caps, just to make sure the l is an L). I get the next line ls /sdcard/ and the hashtag on the next line again.

Does this mean I can't enter my SD card this way and will need an SD card reader? :)

Great help already, damn it would suck if this wouldn't work :P

Edit: What I'm thinking: is it possible there's another way to get into my SD card (besides LS)

Edited by BoeckxL

Guest t0mm13b

After searching around what ADB was, downloading loads of stuff and eventually ending up with ADB for dummies (nice one!) I reached at the point where I should see the list of what's on my SD card. I do get the hashtag and then I typ LS /SDCARD/ (without the caps, just to make sure the l is an L). I get the next line ls /sdcard/ and the hashtag on the next line again.

Does this mean I can't enter my SD card this way and will need an SD card reader? :)

Great help already, damn it would suck if this wouldn't work :P

Edit: What I'm thinking: is it possible there's another way to get into my SD card (besides LS)

Okie...

Firstly, Quick CS101 lesson - all commands within adb shell are in lowercase.

Secondly, since, the sdcard is not loaded up - we need to mount it into the filesystem... do this quick check for me to diagnose further

From the 'adb shell' command and you're looking at the hashtag, issue this command:

ls -l /dev/block/v*

Yes, its /dev/block/v with an asterisk.

We're telling the linux system to return back a directory listing of files beginning with a 'v' and the rest of the filename does not matter.

You should get something like this - on my blade I get this

# ls -l /dev/block/v*

brw-rw---- root root 179, 1 2011-08-30 21:39 179:1

brw-rw---- root root 179, 0 2011-08-30 21:39 179:0

#

Reply back and let me know what you get (If you don't get anything back from the above command - don't panic!)

B)

Guest t0mm13b

Okie, Keep going, did you get all the files pushed across to the /sdcard/image directory?

Had to strain and squint my eyes to read the image and yes it seems to have copied over successfully... :)

Edited by t0mm13b

Guest BoeckxL

Okie...

Firstly, Quick CS101 lesson - all commands within adb shell are in lowercase.

Secondly, since, the sdcard is not loaded up - we need to mount it into the filesystem... do this quick check for me to diagnose further

From the 'adb shell' command and you're looking at the hashtag, issue this command:

ls -l /dev/block/v*

Yes, its /dev/block/v with an asterisk.

We're telling the linux system to return back a directory listing of files beginning with a 'v' and the rest of the filename does not matter.

You should get something like this - on my blade I get this

Reply back and let me know what you get (If you don't get anything back from the above command - don't panic!)

B)

I do get the same !

This is what I got:

brw-rw---- root root 179, 1 2011-08-31 00:59 179:1

brw-rw---- root root 179, 0 2011-08-31 00:59 179:0

#

Thanks man, the PM I sent you.. It didn't work, so it looks like I didn't push anything :D

Cheers!

Edit: Hmm, I pushed all the files, I had the put my phone off by taking the battery out of it and disconnecting it from the USB. Then started it with menu, volume en the on button. Green android man stared at me for a while, a kept menu and volume pressed in en than the shiny android word popped up again (and they still are shining :( )

Edited by BoeckxL

Guest t0mm13b

Ignore this... bad timing....

Now, proceed to reboot - you need to time the sequence to give you a chance to get the right buttons pressed....

1. Exit the adb shell by hitting Ctrl+D
  2. Unplug the cable and pull the battery :)
  3. Wait for 30 seconds
  4. Pop the battery back in and ....
  5. Hold down the Volume down Key + Menu Key and press the Power button and hold all three buttons together :)

At this point, allow the flashing of the files into the blade's handset and it will reboot in a few minutes into ClockworkRecovery :)

Edited by t0mm13b