Too much "ROM" will kill the Blade...

Guest CaptainSpectacular

Guest CaptainSpectacular

Hey people.

Just my little point of view about all the newest "ROM" for the blade.

We have three "real" Gingerbread ROM for the blade : CM7, the one call "Vanilla" (Vanilla meant AOSP for me...) and GSF. (I don't remember if the GSF is similar to the "Vanilla" one)

Now, we have a new kernel wich give the overclocking feature to the "leaked" based ROM... I can't understand that. With overclock the battery drain will be more intensive, is a fact... And we didn't know what exactly give this new kernel except the overclocking... So they will do the same thing that CM7 can already do... blink.gif

Another point.

Some guys really work hard, in the deep side of development (who say Wbaw ?). Some other just had one or two applications, one themed battery icon and share the same ROM with just some "bling bling" stuff and a different name. Another thing I can't understand.

All the new guys who come with a new Blade will be lost with this amount of "ROM". And they are all based on the same sources, so nothing really change, just some visual stuff. I'm ok with the addons, but calling each modification as a new ROM, it's just .... ohmy.gif

I don't know if I'm clear in my speech, but I feel a little bit nostalgic of the Swedish Spring and the CM7 "war", in this time, we haved some real changes, and a lot of devs who really want to work hard for our little blade.

I really think it's simply "too much". (to much for nothing)

So, I hope I didn't offense nobody, it's just my opinion. Some share their new "ROM" with their taste, I share my opinion. wink.gif

Edited by CaptainSpectacular

Guest hlubepet

on the other hand.. people had more options... if there is only one rom/mod/theme... android will be iOS :D I like more options than less. Maybe.. make it MAIN ROMS and FORK ROMS or something like that... as a theme is called for example FULL GINGER FOR GSF B19, the name of the rom could be GSF B19 SANTA_CLAUSE MOD, etc...

and thats my opinion :)

Edited by hlubepet

Guest sej7278

agree totally. we really need a combined effort on this and need to chose which rom(s) should continue being developed and which are just glorified themes.

obviously cyanogenmod7 is the first choice as being completely open means that real development can go on; however that's being held back by zte giving us broken kernel source for a non-blade device (wonder if they'll release a decent libra source?)

after that i think wbaw has killed off ginger stirfry in favour of monte carlo fry, although all the new "roms" seem to be based on GSF plus a random build of the 2.6.35 source. that's not really a long-term solution as without the source to the rest of the rom there's not much more to be done - as i think wbaw said.

there's a bit too much splintered work and no community going on right now, i mean we've got GSF, MCSF-blade, CAE, blade mix, crevitus (these two just popped up today FFS!), gingerblue, diet stirfry, the vanilla gingerleak etc; none of which anyone but the author can contribute to.....

Edited by sej7278

Guest Sami Beck

agree totally. we really need a combined effort on this and need to chose which rom(s) should continue being developed and which are just glorified themes.

obviously cyanogenmod7 is the first choice as being completely open means that real development can go on; however that's being held back by zte giving us broken kernel source for a non-blade device (wonder if they'll release a decent libra source?)

after that i think wbaw has killed off ginger stirfry in favour of monte carlo fry, although all the new "roms" seem to be based on GSF plus a random build of the 2.6.35 source. that's not really a long-term solution as without the source to the rest of the rom there's not much more to be done - as i think wbaw said.

there's a bit too much splintered work and no community going on right now, i mean we've got GSF, MCSF-blade, CAE, blade mix, crevitus (these two just popped up today FFS!), gingerblue, diet stirfry, the vanilla gingerleak etc; none of which anyone but the author can contribute to.....

Anyone can edit my ROM, also I'd help others dev.

Mine is based off the leak not wbaw gsf which annoys me we dont need that many distro's of gsf.

Guest Nick Rhodes

Anyone can edit my ROM, also I'd help others dev.

Mine is based off the leak not wbaw gsf which annoys me we dont need that many distro's of gsf.

GSF is also based on the leak.

Cheers, Nick

Guest ididmytime

I think the community on the whole here is just poor when it comes to bugs/roms.

People here assume the newer the rom, the better. That a new version of GSF has a much better battery usage then the previous version, even though nothing battery dependent has changed. That a 'dev' with a re-skinned GSF has made it, and can fix problems with the rom.

Near enough every rom here is the same garbage.

People arn't even listing what bugs persist in 'their' roms, so I will cut some slack to those uneducated, but I rarely check the forums anymore because nothing is being fixed. Just the same old, same old.

Guest t0mm13b

Okie... my 2cents here,

What is it in a ROM that you're looking for...?

CM7 is CyanogenMod ROM.

GSF is based off a leaked ROM.

Diversity is a good thing and increases choice of ROM's. :)

Guest Pelemane

Okie... my 2cents here,

CM7 is CyanogenMod ROM.

Can I haz MIUIUiuiuu?

Guest t0mm13b

Can I haz MIUIUiuiuu?

I knew it, that some ould soul out there would be screaming that exact phrase...

turned out it was you after all Pelemane and not Quu :P

:lol:

Guest ididmytime

Okie... my 2cents here,

CM7 is CyanogenMod ROM.

A rom with working LED notifications, SIP rooting, and Wifi low power mode, things that shouldn't need fixing in the first place.

Guest t0mm13b

A rom with working LED notifications, SIP rooting, and Wifi low power mode, things that shouldn't need fixing in the first place.

Hmmm... that's the kernel side of things you're talking about here :)

Guest ididmytime

Hmmm... that's the kernel side of things you're talking about here :)

Certainly is, and that's the problem. It's just the same old rom, based on the same old source time and time again, without anyone doing any kernel work. (apart from the CM devs of course)

Guest t0mm13b

Certainly is, and that's the problem. It's just the same old rom, based on the same old source time and time again, without anyone doing any kernel work. (apart from the CM devs of course)

True - but do you not realize the amount of effort and work to get a clean kernel source working? :)

This is going back to the original board source for the blade which is one utter mess.... :)

That's CM7, at some point in the future with a bit more fixit.

Guest rockstarszzzz

I don't know what made this thread so important in first place? Community and android lives on the fact that we share everything! If there are two or three new users trying to contribute or share by using their knowledge in whatever they can - what's wrong with that??

The users are learning to cook and sharing their work. No one is forcing people to flash their roms.

All we need is organization! I don't know how mods fail to see for months that those pinned threads are not updated. One new list of new roms, bugs, features is what we need. Let the end users choose from variety. We are not working for Steve Jobs or his company.

It's unfair to presume that everyone who themes or custom apps a rom and shares with us should only be allowed to do so if he has knowledge to help fix bugs in so called continuously developing ROMS!!

The more ROMs the better choice. And no lots of ROMS WON'T kill blade or any phone for that matter, unless it's iShite!

Guest ididmytime

True - but do you not realize the amount of effort and work to get a clean kernel source working? :)

This is going back to the original board source for the blade which is one utter mess.... :)

I understand this, but these are the issues the 'community' should be trying to solve as eveyone will benefit, instead of people going 'Hey, here is a new rom, it's based on GSF, but has got a new power widget!'

Then someone saying

''Wow thanks my battery life is 100x better than GSF!''

I really hope one day it will happen. It just seems nobody really cares about the issues that ZTE haven't fixed, and care about tiny cosmetic differences each new rom gives.

Guest irishpancake

Did those things work on Stock, if they did keep Stock!!! I just don't know.

SIP rooting?? as in routing sound to ear-piece rather than speaker? or something else?

CSipSimple works OK, on my Froyo SS 5 Gen 2.....

And a guy called Vujke has found a workaround for Viber sound routing on SS 5 here

I think GSF/CM works with native SIP Client, and AFAIK Viber works OK??

For so long now ppl have been waiting for the Kernel ......like the Holy Grail....to fill in the gaps in knowledge and workability of 2.3 ROMs, and now it's here, in whatever shape or form, it's just too much for some.

You certainly cannot satisfy all the ppl all the time......devs keep working, it all adds to the accumulated knowledge of those like me who do not have the knowledge.

Edited by irishpancake

Guest ididmytime

Did those things work on Stock, if they did keep Stock!!! I just don't know.

SIP rooting?? as in routing sound to ear-piece rather than speaker? or something else?

All three didn't work on stock 2.1 - 2.2.

2.3 stock fixed wifi, CM7 pre new kernel fixed LED, CM old/new kernel fixed SIP.

SIP rooting is broken on all stock roms (native works still, skype and other apps don't)

So everything I mentioned has been fixed in various roms, but no single one has all three fixed.

Guest irishpancake

All three didn't work on stock 2.1 - 2.2.

2.3 stock fixed wifi, CM7 pre new kernel fixed LED, CM old/new kernel fixed SIP.

SIP rooting is broken on all stock roms (native works still, skype and other apps don't)

So everything I mentioned has been fixed in various roms, but no single one has all three fixed.

So, all is good then...just to be clear, we are talking about SIP routing, as in sound routing???

coz, as you know, rooting is a different thing...smile.gif

But, I agree, there should be a bunch of devs/mods who will pull all this together, and I think there probably already is, as in CM, who have a clear, methodical approach to fixing, and incorporating stuff as it becomes available.

I think it is probably no co-incidence that wbaw, and others, have already stated that CM will be the best ROM for the Blade, eventually!!!!

But, that did not stop wbaw developing and improving his GSF to the extent that he did........in full knowledge, AFAIK, that CM is the only show in town.......when it is ready.

In the meantime, let the young guns keep up the good work, they are learning their trade and useful skills for the future, and we are the beneficiaries of their willingness to forsake their homework for the greater cause, tongue firmly in cheek,

I speak as a 57 y/o Android enthusiast, and dad of two youngish guys, well they no longer do homework!!!!

too busy with their kids rolleyes.gif

Guest Sami Beck

I find this topic silly. Its like going into asda and telling the woman "Theres too many pizza's its going to kill the pizza trade" Its not it just means you have more choice, look at the pulse it has no more devs, that what will kill the blade a LACK of devs. Also who forces you to run the ROM its your choice.

Guest onericardo

I'm gonna post here my recent " adventure "...

I bought myself an Sapo A5 ( Zte Libra / Blade ) and I didn't like the stock rom. So I went searching for the best rom.

You don't have any idea how hard is to a new user to find the best suitable rom for this phone. I spent about 10h or maybe more reading and testing 4 roms.

At the moment I'm using Swedish Spring 5. I'm happy, but I want more. I'm talking about android 2.3. But there is a lot to choose from. We have new kernels tweak every day, we have new features added to roms every day, we have bugfixes everyday ( look at cm7 ).

What I mean with all this is that i'd like to have 2 or 3 roms which I can choose from. A stable rom, a rom where battery doesn't drain like crazy, a rom without crazy kernel stuff to score better in benchmark but in practise is the same.

Also, I don't want to open the sub forum rom and have more than 15 roms to choose from. It's way too difficult to recent android users and also new owners of this phone to know what is the best rom out there.

And, yeah, I'm still figuring out what rom I will choose with android 2.3. lol

Edited by onericardo

Guest Carlos Manuel Leemet

We have three "real" Gingerbread ROM for the blade : CM7, the one call "Vanilla" (Vanilla meant AOSP for me...) and GSF. (I don't remember if the GSF is similar to the "Vanilla" one)

CM7 is not REAL 2.3 GB ROM Blade don't have real 2.3 ROM only ROMs from many other people, etc.

if there is many 2.3 ROMs then there can find the one good ROM and use it!

there is many ROMs which are based from the same ROM "vanillla GB"

and many have only little bit edited some files and added other tyheme + other apps... that's good but better is if there is may GB ROMs and some guys can try to get ex: ZTE Libra/ZTE Skate/Huawei 2.3 ROMs to work to make one stable GB ROM!

It is good if ZTE Android developers can make official stock 2.3 ROM for Blade but they can't or then they make it some day!

:D

I use Monte Carlo Stir Fry which I fixed little bit.. and it is good so if someone can make it better then it is like stock ROM which is only from ZTE Skate..

I'm in school so I cant read all comments, etc.

Guest CaptainSpectacular

CM7 is not REAL 2.3 GB ROM Blade don't have real 2.3 ROM only ROMs from many other people, etc.

if there is many 2.3 ROMs then there can find the one good ROM and use it!

there is many ROMs which are based from the same ROM "vanillla GB"

and many have only little bit edited some files and added other tyheme + other apps... that's good but better is if there is may GB ROMs and some guys can try to get ex: ZTE Libra/ZTE Skate/Huawei 2.3 ROMs to work to make one stable GB ROM!

It is good if ZTE Android developers can make official stock 2.3 ROM for Blade but they can't or then they make it some day!

:D

I use Monte Carlo Stir Fry which I fixed little bit.. and it is good so if someone can make it better then it is like stock ROM which is only from ZTE Skate..

I'm in school so I cant read all comments, etc.

You got the good example. If you can fix the bluetooth of the MCSF (wih I like too for the Dolby sound), you can claim that you are a dev, cause it's surely need more work than copy/paste some files in a zip, it's a real change that we cannot do ourself.

I know nobody force us to flash their ROM, I only want to say there's too many "mods" which are considered like "Roms", but I'll surely flash one of them myself (CAE for example tongue.gif).

So it's really not an bad thread or an attack and i'm not frustrated (i'm not a dev, I can just copy/paste some zips in a rom tongue.gif). I hope these "ROM" will contribute to keep the Blade alive for a long time.

Cheers.