Too much "ROM" will kill the Blade...

Guest CaptainSpectacular

Guest PhenomHTX

Anyone can edit my ROM, also I'd help others dev.

Mine is based off the leak not wbaw gsf which annoys me we dont need that many distro's of gsf.

It's not you'r ROM ! not you'r work !You didnt fix/add anythink , just theme + custom apps.

Edited by PhenomHTX

Guest ididmytime

So, all is good then...just to be clear, we are talking about SIP routing, as in sound routing???

coz, as you know, rooting is a different thing...smile.gif

It's a bad habit of mine to keep calling it rooting instead of routing.

You know what I mean ;)

I will stop doing this one day, today however, will not be that day.

Edited by ididmytime

Guest rockstarszzzz

Why are we on about how confused new users would be? It's like don't make too many apps new android users will be confused! Thousands of apps doing easy same thing have flooded android market and we brag about how huge market selection is compared to iOS or WP7!! Do we say oh this will kill market? Or confuse new users? There are crap apps, there are buggy apps, there are awesome apps - the number of users eventually show what's hot and what's not!

Saying that any one rom is THE ROM will kill blade. I say it having seen Toshiba TG01 die! World's first snapdragon phone and no developers! Only handful trying to fix bugs in 2-3 versions of OS.

Guest PhenomHTX

for me ... all clons should be removed. If some on use GSF or CMN7 for base, and fu..k somethink ... ppl can think that oryginal rom have same issue. Thats bad for developer of base rom.

Guest finbaar

To much choice? IMHO that is garbage. Blade users should be eternally gratefull that there is such a vibrant modding community. If you don't like choice come and join me on the SE Arc forums to see the other side of the coin. Luckily I will still have my wife's TFT to play with when my OLED goes to a new owner.

Guest Mushroom_Lord

I think its good to have lots of "ROMs"

- but maybe they should all just be marked as add ons. For example "blub blub blub ROM" should become "Ginger stir fry wifi fix".

This way ONLY problems related to the add on are discussed within the add on thread, and general ROM related ones should be on the Roms main thread. - The add on developer will then not be asked questions they can't answer - and they are more likely to be already resolved in the Main ROM thread.

This way the main ROM will have a large community and more support.

Also, if we have more add-ons, more combinations are available and the user is closer to getting the perfect mix of exactly what they want.

I'm not saying people shouldn't have choice, Im saying we just need a clear and better system of supplying "add ons"

Hope that all made sense :)

Personally - I'm just sticking with Cm7 - I like all the features in it, it has a large community outside the blade and there is more development for it :) - and no re-spins - just "addons" xP

Edited by Mushroom_Lord

Guest Sami Beck

It's not you'r ROM ! not you'r work !You didnt fix/add anythink , just theme + custom apps.

Ive added scripts, tweaks and updated parts of it, Im not like you where I slap a theme on cm7 and claim it's a ROM.

My son has a Iphone 4 and doesn't have to test any rom :lol:

I have the luck (imo that's a luck) that I can test as many roms as I want , and can modify my phone like I want it , not like "THE COMPANY" wants it.

No doubt the iphone works MUCH better then the Zte blade , but with Iphone you are stuck with THE COMPANY's settings ... WE ARE NOT ! :P

And hey , it's so easy to test rom after rom after rom , ... that imo if they give credit to the "original" maker where the rom is "based on" ... then it is O.K. i guess ... NOT ?

just an opinion of a lucky rom-tester !

Guest sej7278

Ive added scripts, tweaks and updated parts of it, Im not like you where I slap a theme on cm7 and claim it's a ROM.

i thought you were going to build it from AOSP source?

Guest deksman2

The clear advantage of Android lies in customization and the ability for the community to do with it what they like.

However, I do agree more or less that most new versions are for the most part 'more of the same with a personal minor flavor'.

What would constitute a NEW Gingerbread ROM for example is the following:

better optimization,

Finding a way so the UI rendering is switched over to the GPU (so the CPU can be left to do it's own things and theoretically this should in fact increase the battery life) - and that the same applies for scrolling/pinching/zooming using the Internet browser.

Not overload the OS with needless apps (leave the stock ones and google aps- fully updated though),

Pretty up the UI for example so we can have something like Honeycomb holographic UI but not at the expense of performance or battery life.

I'm relatively certain that there should be the option to acomplish these aspect.

Oh and while I will concede the premise that the iPhone can be choppy at times even though it's UI is fully GPU rendered, this happens seldom, and still cannot be compared to Android's slow UI performance.

P.S. I don't think Overclocking does much. It's an unnecessary heat problem that can also cause loads of crashes and instabilities. Most apps and games if properly optimized can probably run fine on the Blade (except if they have really high requirements)

Edited by deksman2

Guest Phoenix Silver

I think its good to have lots of "ROMs"

- but maybe they should all just be marked as add ons. For example "blub blub blub ROM" should become "Ginger stir fry wifi fix".

This way ONLY problems related to the add on are discussed within the add on thread, and general ROM related ones should be on the Roms main thread. - The add on developer will then not be asked questions they can't answer - and they are more likely to be already resolved in the Main ROM thread.

This way the main ROM will have a large community and more support.

Also, if we have more add-ons, more combinations are available and the user is closer to getting the perfect mix of exactly what they want.

I'm not saying people shouldn't have choice, Im saying we just need a clear and better system of supplying "add ons"

Hope that all made sense :)

Personally - I'm just sticking with Cm7 - I like all the features in it, it has a large community outside the blade and there is more development for it :) - and no re-spins - just "addons" xP

I totally agree with this post.

Don't say you have made a new Rom when you have just taken the work of someone else and tweak some little things like add or delete an app or edit a conf file.

Oki for a Rom mod or a Rom add on but not a new Rom with a new Name.

Guest hlubepet

I totally agree with this post.

Don't say you have made a new Rom when you have just taken the work of someone else and tweak some little things like add or delete an app or edit a conf file.

Oki for a Rom mod or a Rom add on but not a new Rom with a new Name.

yeah, thats what Ive said earlier, maybe GSF22_SANTA.CLAUSE_MOD or something like that :)

Guest Carlos Manuel Leemet

You got the good example. If you can fix the bluetooth of the MCSF (wih I like too for the Dolby sound), you can claim that you are a dev, cause it's surely need more work than copy/paste some files in a zip, it's a real change that we cannot do ourself.

I know nobody force us to flash their ROM, I only want to say there's too many "mods" which are considered like "Roms", but I'll surely flash one of them myself (CAE for example tongue.gif).

So it's really not an bad thread or an attack and i'm not frustrated (i'm not a dev, I can just copy/paste some zips in a rom tongue.gif). I hope these "ROM" will contribute to keep the Blade alive for a long time.

Cheers.

=)

the Bluetooth fix is maybe little bit too hard for me because I do not know all Bluetooth files! JetDroid (unofficial Android in Samsung Jet) Don't have sounds, Bluetooth, call features, etc. So it is little bit hard for me to get Bluetooth to work correctly on Blade! :/ If Blade can use GSF BETA 21 lib* bluetooth .so files and then some other files needs renaming or only editing then the Bluetooth might work correctly in MCSF ROM!

also the boot.img needs editing if the init.rc and init.blade.rc don't have all Bluetooth file names! + ueventd files needs editing (maybe) if them have something about Bluetooth

the ROOT Problem needs fixing little bit in MCSF because I cant copy ROM files when I use MCSF maybe it can be fixed if replacing the files which is for rooting..

If I understand that how can unpack and repack the boot.img or other .img files then I can be developer too but I cant edit them so no! It's better to stay normal Blade user who editing some files for blade! xD

:)

It's good if anybody can edit the Monte Carlo Stir Fry ROM to get it STABLE for Blade and for Blade II or Libra or Sapo a5 or for other Blade Phone... :)

Edited by Carlos Manuel Leemet

Guest Simon O

If you have taken an existing ROM and modified it then really you should make it clear that it's based on rom-X and your own work. Every ROM that I have personally workd on has started off as a modification of a stock ROM which over time ends up being more my own work and less the original ROM, but I still tell people that it's based on another ROM.

Passing a modified ROM off as your own work is a pretty crappy thing to do and I really hope people don't do this. I will say that if you are currently offering a modded ROM on the forum and you haven't made it clear that it's based upon someone else's work that you quickly edit your thread to make this clear.

As a forum administrator I will say one thing.. ROM clones, that is ROMs based upon others that have been modified, will not be removed from the forum as long as you provide credit to the original authors and clearly mention that it's a mod.

'Winzippin', 'kanging' etc has it's fans and critics but as long as you provide full credit it wil be permitted here.

Final word: Bad mouthing another developer on the forum for their work, whatever the reasons, will not be tolerated. If you do not like the work they have done, the choices they have made or personally feel that the ROM is nothing but a modification then keep it to yourself. The forums should be a happy place encouraging development. And besides... a 15 year old kid modifying ROMs is more use to the community than somebody that is always complaining. My 2c.

Rant over :)

Guest sej7278

yeah, thats what Ive said earlier, maybe GSF22_SANTA.CLAUSE_MOD or something like that :)

yes a "mod" naming scheme might be useful - like GSF16_wifi_fix or GSF22_proximity_kernel

or just everyone merge their fixes together into the original rom ffs!

Guest unrandomsam

The exact same thing could be said about GSF pushing random binaries from CM7 is not fixing anything (The end result is more buggy than the original leak).

or even

SS

Its silly to speak about ownership. (Even though I don't really know why anyone is bothered about it anyway).

For any given (Source Based) android rom.

Most of the work is by the original OSS projects used

a fair bit by google

a bit more by qualcomm

tiny bit by either CM7 or ZTE

Tom G is the only person who has a right to an opinion in this imho (And he doesn't seem to care). As he has done most of the real work perhaps KK as well.

Guest ididmytime

i've started a thread here to try to summarise the 2.6.35 roms and kernels, which will hopefully pull together some code fixes rather than just themes/apps.

I was going to suggest something similiar. We currently have a sticky about what rom's are currently out, but not what each one fixes/breaks, and the benifits each gives.

So if someone new needed Skype urgently on their phone for work, they can see which roms currently work with it. I think having just the 2.3 roms would be more than sufficient, and would explain any modded ones based on a source will still have the same speed/bugs.

If you have taken an existing ROM and modified it then really you should make it clear that it's based on rom-X and your own work. Every ROM that I have personally workd on has started off as a modification of a stock ROM which over time ends up being more my own work and less the original ROM, but I still tell people that it's based on another ROM.

Passing a modified ROM off as your own work is a pretty crappy thing to do and I really hope people don't do this. I will say that if you are currently offering a modded ROM on the forum and you haven't made it clear that it's based upon someone else's work that you quickly edit your thread to make this clear.

As a forum administrator I will say one thing.. ROM clones, that is ROMs based upon others that have been modified, will not be removed from the forum as long as you provide credit to the original authors and clearly mention that it's a mod.

'Winzippin', 'kanging' etc has it's fans and critics but as long as you provide full credit it wil be permitted here.

Final word: Bad mouthing another developer on the forum for their work, whatever the reasons, will not be tolerated. If you do not like the work they have done, the choices they have made or personally feel that the ROM is nothing but a modification then keep it to yourself. The forums should be a happy place encouraging development. And besides... a 15 year old kid modifying ROMs is more use to the community than somebody that is always complaining. My 2c.

Rant over :)

+1 to that.. the fact that no rom is perfect comes from our own opinions.. the things which we like more ,we find them in a rom , we call that rom a better one.. and someone said " we want our fone like we want it to be , not how the company wants"..righto!!

it is just like saying we should have only 3-4 fones in the whole market so that there is no confusion...confused will be the person who does not know what he wants..coz most of the times features of a rom are mentioned so that u can evaluate what you will be getting in that rom( a couple of screenies for the "eye candy" guys and for the benchmark freaks would be appreciated though) and i really love the feeling when i have found my perfect rom that i wanted( and that is according to my needs) .. and thumbs up to developers for their mentioning on whose rom is their's based and giving the person due credit..

maybe this is what google meant by OPEN SOURCE when it released android....plethora of possibilities :) :D

keep it up devs .. cheers..

(am on gsf21 after trying so many roms.. gonna try out the overclockables very soon :)

Edited by l2azor