Overclockable kernel for the ZTE Skate

Guest kallt_kaffe

Guest dadashi

Thankyou so much kallt_kaffe, it's a little like xmas :) If only it would unlock :rolleyes: as well....

I tried the previous ockernel and stabile at 960Mhz, 979 ran ok for a few minutes but froze when I opened the browser..

It's really flying at 960Mhz, I can clearly see the difference from the stock 700Mhz... Quadrant score is 1138

I'll try your last OCkernel with ahb next...

Edited by dadashi

Thankyou so much kallt_kaffe, it's a little like xmas :) If only it would unlock :rolleyes: as well....

I tried the previous ockernel and stabile at 960Mhz, 979 ran ok for a few minutes but froze when I opened the browser...I'll try your last OCkernel with ahb...

It's really flying at 960Mhz, I can clearly see the difference from the stock 700Mhz...

Let us know what the stable speed is please so I can put it right on to my Skate, thanks.

I thought the stock was a maximum of 800MHz?

Edited by Navie

Guest kallt_kaffe

Let us know what the stable speed is please so I can put it right on to my Skate, thanks.

The stable speeds will vary between phones. Some will go overclock more, some less.

For example, my ZTE Blade is stable at 710MHz, one of my ZTE V9/Light is stable at 729MHz and the other one is stable at 806MHz. I don't have a Skate but I would expect it to have the same kind of variation.

I thought the stock was a maximum of 800MHz?

Actually, the stock speed is 787.2MHz but is displayed as 800MHz. It's the same thing with the Blade which has a default speed of 595.2MHz.

The stable speeds will vary between phones. Some will go overclock more, some less.

For example, my ZTE Blade is stable at 710MHz, one of my ZTE V9/Light is stable at 729MHz and the other one is stable at 806MHz. I don't have a Skate but I would expect it to have the same kind of variation.

Actually, the stock speed is 787.2MHz but is displayed as 800MHz. It's the same thing with the Blade which has a default speed of 595.2MHz.

I guess that down to the variances during manufacture? Not long ago I bought 2 USB sticks from Argos, even though they were the same, the memory sizes (storage amount) was different on both.

Guest dadashi

the CIFS, EXT4 and BFQ kernel doesnt work either...

How do I go back to the last working kernel...? Do I have to flash the BlueGingerV1 again...?

EDIT: that fixed it, running again + the last working OC Kernel...

Edited by dadashi

the CIFS, EXT4 and BFQ kernel doesnt work either...

How do I go back to the last working kernel...? Do I have to flash the BlueGingerV1 again...?

Just flash another kernel that works :)

Guest dadashi

Just flash another kernel that works :)

actually flashing the last working ockernel didn't help, still stayed at green droid...Flashed the GimngerBlue rom fixed it...

actually flashing the last working ockernel didn't help, still stayed at green droid...Flashed the GimngerBlue rom fixed it...

Seems like I will have to do the same

Guest kallt_kaffe

Seems like I will have to do the same

The fact that you needed to reinstall a ROM makes me believe that the new kernel was too large for the boot-partition and the reflashing failed and corrupted the boot partition.

The fact that you needed to reinstall a ROM makes me believe that the new kernel was too large for the boot-partition and the reflashing failed and corrupted the boot partition.

Also...it was extremely difficult for me to get back into recovery mode, took me at least 10-15 minutes.

Also...it was extremely difficult for me to get back into recovery mode, took me at least 10-15 minutes.

Just testing one of the kernels, the one in post #42.

*** If anyone crashes their OMC and don't want to take off the back cover...plug your USB cable into your computer and then connect it to you OMC and as soon as the green man comes up you can take it back out.

It seems like if your overclocked then...during the quadrant test, the phone always crashes.

I've ran the quadrant benchmark at 979MHz a few times without any crashes, highest score on quadrant was 1229.

At 998 MHz, the quadrant test always crashes during the 3D tests and never passes this, ran a couple of time without success.

Edited by Navie

Guest kallt_kaffe
At 998 MHz, the quadrant test always crashes during the 3D tests and never passes this, ran a couple of time without success.

I suspect that the GPU is tied to PLL2 and in that case it will be overlocked too. That's why I tried to use PLL0 first because if that had worked it would have been possible to control the GPU clock separately if we would only run the CPU clock on PLL0 and PLL1.

If I ever get my hands on a Skate I may investigate this further.

Basicly, if my theory is try then either CPU or GPU can be the limiting factor when overclocking using PLL2. But hey, that means 3D performance gets overclocked too. On the Blade I could only increase it with 1.6% because on the Blade PLL2 almost runs at it's maxium speed by default and likely uses a different divider when generating the GPU clock.

Guest dadashi

After watching the Skate comparison on youtube I did the the vellamo test to see where my nearly 1Ghz OMC sits...

The stock OMC on youtube made 306 points, my 960Mhz OMC made 350...The Huawi 8800 in the test made 400 and the HTC-HD2 android made 550, the Blade made 195...

Edited by dadashi

Guest kallt_kaffe

After watching the Skate comparison on youtube I did the the vellamo test to see where my nearly 1Ghz OMC sits...

The stock OMC on youtube made 306 points, my 960Mhz OMC made 350...The Huawi 8800 in the test made 400 and the HTC-HD2 android made 550, the Blade made 195...

If you want to test your own device at stock speed you can select the 787MHz alterntative. It is what stock Skates use. However if you use the AHB overclocked kernel you'll get some advantage in some benchmarks. Quadrant scores on the blade with 50% AHB overclocking (CPU speed/2 vs CPU speed/3) usually shows ~10% better values. On the Skate the overclocking is "only" 33% so it might not be as noticable as on the Blade.

If you want to test your own device at stock speed you can select the 787MHz alterntative. It is what stock Skates use. However if you use the AHB overclocked kernel you'll get some advantage in some benchmarks. Quadrant scores on the blade with 50% AHB overclocking (CPU speed/2 vs CPU speed/3) usually shows ~10% better values. On the Skate the overclocking is "only" 33% so it might not be as noticable as on the Blade.

Check out these Quadrant scores of some phones, they look almost unbelivable http://smartphonebenchmarks.com/ :D

Guest h1975641209

My screen is too bluish and dark. Is any way to fix this problem ?

Anyone could help me to fix the my kernal in order to adjust the screen color and brightness.

My screen is too bluish and dark. Is any way to fix this problem ?

Anyone could help me to fix the my kernal in order to adjust the screen color and brightness.

Did you flash something onto your phone that made it go like that? Or did you buy the phone like that?

I don't flash any thing on it.

I bought this phone in Taiwan.

Have you tried adjusting the brightness in the Settings? Other than that I don't know what it could be unless its damanged? If you haven't messed around with the software then flashing another kernel on it won't fix it...as far as I know :)