[Guide] How to install a custom ROM & Partition your SD & Root

Guest k0zmic

It appears quite a few people (including myself) have decided to purchase the Metal due to the excellent price at Expansys. Subsequently, I reckon there are going to be a few questions on how to install a custom ROM etc. so I've put together this guide.

This guide isn't really my own I've just taken the information from here, here and here and aggregated it.

How to install a Custom ROM

1.) Download Gingerbread: http://vache-android....php?fileID=124

2.) Extract the "acer_ug" folder from the zip file on your SDCard

(optional) : Reboot in recovery and wipe all/factory reset

3.) Power off your phone

4.) Boot to SD Download Mode with Camera / Vol- / Power (the phone will vibrate 3 times)

5.) Wait until it has finished, the phone will reboot

6.) Activate USB debugging on your phone.(How to)

7.) Plug your phone to your computer with your USB cable

8.) Download Recovery 3.0: http://vache-android....php?fileID=125

9.) Unzip the "RecoveryMT-3.0" folder from the zip file

10.) Launch "install_recovery.cmd"

11.) Download your custom ROM e.g. http://android.modac...y-301-05112011/ and copy and paste either files onto the SDCard

12.) Boot into recovery mode using Volume Up + Focus + Power

13.) Select 'Wipe Data/Factory Reset' (don't wipe the SD Card).

14.) Go back and select 'Install .zip from SDCard' and browse to the ROM file, confirm.

15.) Enjoy

Important Note: SD Download Mode (Step 4) checks if the language in the BIN files are consistent, this may mean you need to use the Acer Download Tool from here to flash BIN files of a different language. It's probably a good idea to try this utility if you get error messages at step 4.

Flash the BIN file in /acer_ug/acer_xx/whateverfile.bin using the download tool, select the BIN File in the Merged OS File section. See screenshot attached.

Thanks to Vache for instructions 1 to 10 & Thanks to lgcmn for the basic structure of the guide from this thread: http://android.modac...final-tl-metal/ & Thanks to Vikings123 for notifying me of the limitations of SD Download mode. Also, Thanks flibblesan for pinning this. Thanks for Chrishund for letting me borrow the instructions on how to root.

Sorry if there are any mistakes or anything else to be aware of, if so please let me know and I'll amend them.

Partitioning your SD Card for A2SD/Link2SD etc.

For the guide I'll be using the Partition feature from AmonRa Recovery available here. You can use apps like Gparted etc. as well as ClockworkMod Recovery if you prefer.

Before beginning you need to have rebooted into Recovery Mode. To this with the respective key combo's above or use 'ADB Reboot Recovery' when your phone is plugged into a computer with USB Debugging enabled.

1.) Mount your phone as USB or go into Recovery and select USB MS Toggle and plug the phone into a PC.

2.) IMPORTANT: Backup/Copy the entire contents of your SD Card onto your PC.

3.) Unmount/Disable USB MS and either reboot or go back to recovery.

4.) Select Partition SD.

5.) For the sizes select 0 for Swap. Make the EXT size at least 512MB for A2SD and the rest should be FAT32.

6.) Confirm. All your data on the SD Card will be lost.

7.) Let it complete.

8.) Re-enable USB MS toggle and copy the contents of your SD Card back onto the phone.

9.) Now, you can either do a full wipe and start with a fresh ROM or reboot and try setup Link2SD etc. (Personally, I'd just do a full wipe and start fresh but it's up to you). If you have problems e.g. force closes etc. then do a full wipe.

10.) Enjoy.

How to Root Non-Rooted ROM's

1.) Follow steps 6-10 of 'How to install a custom ROM above. Note: If your PC doesn't recognize the phone then you may need to install Acer Sync.

2.) Download this and copy it onto your SDCard.

3.) Now turn off the phone and boot into recovery mode Volume Up + Focus + Power (For ClockworkMod).

Down + Focus (Press Camera button Gently) + Power for AmonRA.

4. Choose 'install .zip from SD Card' and find the Superuser.zip install and reboot.

post-658373-0-37205300-1320540806_thumb.

Edited by k0zmic

Guest vikings123

It appears quite a few people (including myself) have decided to purchase the Metal due to the excellent price at Expansys. Subsequently, I reckon there are going to be a few questions on how to install a custom ROM etc. so I've put together this guide, hopefully if it's decent enough maybe a Mod could pin so it's a bit easier to find.

This guide isn't really my own I've just taken the information from here, here and here and aggregated it.

1.) Download the Gingerbreak leak: http://www.multiupload.com/NBSC3OP3DO

3.) Power off your phone

4.) Boot to SD Download Mode with Camera / Vol- / Power (the phone will vibrate 3 times)

8.) Download Recovery 2.2: http://android.modac...r-liquidmt-v22/

9.) Unzip the "RecoveryMT-2.2" folder from the zip file

11.) Download your custom ROM e.g. http://android.modac...final-tl-metal/ and copy and paste onto the SDCard

12.) Boot into recovery mode (I think it's Power and Vol down)

13.) Wipe everything excluding SDCard.

14.) Go back and select 'Flash .zip from SDCard' and browse to the ROM file, confirm.

15.) Enjoy

Thanks to Vache for instructions 1 to 10 & Thanks to lgcmn for the basic structure of the guide from this thread: http://android.modac...final-tl-metal/

Sorry if there are any mistakes or anything else to be aware of, if so please let me know and I'll amend them.

Just one minor reminder.

SD Download Mode will check if language consistent or not. If not, you won't be able to flash the BIN.

Acer_Download_Tools won't check that.

Personally, i prefer Acer_Download_Tools to flash BIN file, coz I might try BIN for different language.

Just one minor reminder.

SD Download Mode will check if language consistent or not. If not, you won't be able to flash the BIN.

Acer_Download_Tools won't check that.

Personally, i prefer Acer_Download_Tools to flash BIN file, coz I might try BIN for different language.

Thanks, I've updated the guide.

No root? Do I not need root to flash?

Nope, the recovery is flashed via Fastboot. Once the custom recovery is installed you can go ahead installing (pre-rooted) custom ROM's.

Did it myself this afternoon, it was easier than I imagined it would be.

Edited by k0zmic

Guest alexmonkeychops

I'm having problems at step 4) SD Download Mode

Keep getting "SD image download procedure... Failed MORE_THAN_TWO_BIN Please keep 1 bin file"

any idea what i'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Guest vikings123

I'm having problems at step 4) SD Download Mode

Keep getting "SD image download procedure... Failed MORE_THAN_TWO_BIN Please keep 1 bin file"

any idea what i'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Then you should try to use "Acer_Download_Tools" to flash the BIN. Check the updated first post.

Guest vikings123

No root? Do I not need root to flash?

You don't need to root your device to flash a ROM.

Root means to become a superuser (in UNIX) or system manager (as in Windows) of the system so that you can do whatever you want with your device.

Flash a ROM is similar to Installation of a new OS on your device. After flashing a ROM, you are set to use the device.

But some functions of Apps require users with the right of a superuser. At that point, you will need to root your device.

It is like you need to be a system manager of your Windows to install certain software that might change the setting of the system or registration of some DLL files.

Please correct me if I miss something or anything else.

This HowTo seems to be a bit useless in my eyes (as a general HowTo), because in every thread about a custom rom there is a FIRST POST containing detailed step-by-step instructions. (origin-firmware, recovery-version...)

It's not valid for all firmware-recovery combinations, since the partition-table is varying from firmware to firmware and should not be pinned.

by the way - for the last leak it's working, so thank you :)

It appears quite a few people (including myself) have decided to purchase the Metal due to the excellent price at Expansys. Subsequently, I reckon there are going to be a few questions on how to install a custom ROM etc. so I've put together this guide, hopefully if it's decent enough maybe a Mod could pin so it's a bit easier to find.

3.) Power off your phone

11.) Download your custom ROM e.g. http://android.modac...final-tl-metal/ and copy and paste onto the SDCard

12.) Boot into recovery mode using Volume Up + Volume Down + Focus (Press Camera button Gently) + Power

13.) Wipe everything excluding SDCard.

14.) Go back and select 'Flash .zip from SDCard' and browse to the ROM file, confirm.

15.) Enjoy

Important Note: SD Download Mode (Step 4) checks if the language in the BIN files are consistent, this might mean you need to use the Acer Download Tool from here to flash BIN files of a different language. It's probably a good idea to try this utility if you get error messages at step 4.

Thanks to Vache for instructions 1 to 10 & Thanks to lgcmn for the basic structure of the guide from this thread: http://android.modac...final-tl-metal/ & Thanks to Vikings123 for notifying me of the limitations of SD Download mode. Also, Thanks flibblesan for pinning this.

Hi there, sorry that this is my first post. I will introduce myself asap in the relevent section. Could you offer more information regarding step 13 please? I don't quite understand what I am supposed to be wiping from the menu:-

-wipe ALL user data

-wipe only /data

-wipe only /sd ( not this one, i know)

-wipe only / etc etc etc.

Thanks in advance.

Also can the phone be returned to as it was out of the box if I wish?

Bodge

Thank you very much for posting a guide, its been very useful to a first time metal user like myself =]

-Jabbie

Thanks for the guide and making it a sticky. :)

No problem (thank flibblesan for pinning it), I'm also a first time Metal user but a fairly experienced Android user.

How are you guys liking the phone so far? I like mine very much, but I managed to drop it and chip a tiny bit off the corner on the first day I had it dry.gif

No problem (thank flibblesan for pinning it), I'm also a first time Metal user but a fairly experienced Android user.

How are you guys liking the phone so far? I like mine very much, but I managed to drop it and chip a tiny bit off the corner on the first day I had it dry.gif

Oh dear! Hope it wasn't too bad. I have been dreading I might drop it and hence keeping inside the pouch (that came with it) as much as possible. But as far as the phone is concerned, I simply love it. I am running the t&l ROM with stock AOSP theme and it is great. :)

Oh dear! Hope it wasn't too bad. I have been dreading I might drop it and hence keeping inside the pouch (that came with it) as much as possible. But as far as the phone is concerned, I simply love it. I am running the t&l ROM with stock AOSP theme and it is great. :)

It's not bad, barely visible when looking at the phone. Yeah, I keep it in the pouch now too.

Same, the t&l ROM with the AOSP theme is excellent.

Step 4 doesn't work for me and i'm unable to install acer download tools after extraction when i click it, or run as administrator, it says the program has stopped working, windows is looking for a solution.

PLEASE HELP!!!

im having trouble with installing recoveryMT has anyone with Windows Vista successfully installed drivers that work?

ive tried to install liquid usb tool setup but keep getting an error.

Edited by MKD

Guest haseeb_ch

on step #4 i get "sd image download procedure failed....SIGNATURE_MISMATCH" and can't seem to find anything on google :(

if i skip that step, in recovery more i stay blocked on Acer logo

Step 4 doesn't work for me and i'm unable to install acer download tools after extraction when i click it, or run as administrator, it says the program has stopped working, windows is looking for a solution.

PLEASE HELP!!!

What operating system are you using?

im having trouble with installing recoveryMT has anyone with Windows Vista successfully installed drivers that work?

ive tried to install liquid usb tool setup but keep getting an error.

Windows Update should download them automatically, at least it did for me although I'm using Windows 7.

Try plug it into a different USB port, that might make it re-download the necessary drivers.

on step #4 i get "sd image download procedure failed....SIGNATURE_MISMATCH" and can't seem to find anything on google :(

if i skip that step, in recovery more i stay blocked on Acer logo

Try flash using the Acer Download Tool.

It's under 'Important Note' in the first post. If you have questions how to use it it's best to read the Acer Download Tools thread or post there.

That's the one.

I'll clarify it.

All done thanks, I'm getting the hang of this phone now. I have been a blackberry fan for

years but always dissapointed with the browsing experience.

Guest mcgill905

It appears quite a few people (including myself) have decided to purchase the Metal due to the excellent price at Expansys. Subsequently, I reckon there are going to be a few questions on how to install a custom ROM etc. so I've put together this guide.

3.) Power off your phone

12.) Boot into recovery mode using Volume Up + Volume Down + Focus (Press Camera button Gently) + Power

13.) Wipe all user data (don't wipe the SD Card).

15.) Enjoy

Important Note: SD Download Mode (Step 4) checks if the language in the BIN files are consistent, this may mean you need to use the Acer Download Tool from here to flash BIN files of a different language. It's probably a good idea to try this utility if you get error messages at step 4. Flash the BIN file in /acer_ug/acer_xx/whateverfile.bin using the download tool.

Thanks to Vache for instructions 1 to 10 & Thanks to lgcmn for the basic structure of the guide from this thread: http://android.modac...final-tl-metal/ & Thanks to Vikings123 for notifying me of the limitations of SD Download mode. Also, Thanks flibblesan for pinning this.

Hi K0zmic,

I have a question that I hope isn't too stupid, but here goes... the gingerbread leak for Acer LiquidMetal has the letters EMEA in the file name, I understand this is a European designation. I live in North America (Canada) can I use that ROM or am I screwed waiting for Acer or my Carrier to push one out?

Thanks

Steve