[Guide] How to install a custom ROM & Partition your SD & Root

Guest k0zmic

Hi K0zmic,

I have a question that I hope isn't too stupid, but here goes... the gingerbread leak for Acer LiquidMetal has the letters EMEA in the file name, I understand this is a European designation. I live in North America (Canada) can I use that ROM or am I screwed waiting for Acer or my Carrier to push one out?

Thanks

Steve

Erm, honestly I'm not sure.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest NeBlackCat

Great guide, worked fine for me, thank you.

A question though: If you've followed the whole guide to install a custom ROM on your new phone, where do you start at again to try another one. Step 11? Does that clean out all the apps you'd installed?

Great guide, worked fine for me, thank you.

A question though: If you've followed the whole guide to install a custom ROM on your new phone, where do you start at again to try another one. Step 11? Does that clean out all the apps you'd installed?

Yeah from Step 11.

If you're on the same ROM e.g. t&l but a new version of it comes out then you probably just need to wipe Dalvik Cache rather than everything. If you do have issues e.g. poor battery life, force closes then try to do a full wipe and then re-flash.

If you're on a different ROM e.g. a Froyo one and you want to upgrade to a Gingerbread one then you need to carry out a full wipe.

Guest spicysomtam

I believe there are two different versions of the phone. An EMEA one and an ASIA/US one. The differences are in the frequencies the phone operates on (EMEA: 3G:900/2100 ASIA: 3G:850/2100). Thus I think this is reflected in the firmware GEN1 is the EMEA one while GEN2 is the ASIA/US? This is particularly important for the radio image/partition; the code that does all the telphony GPRS/3G, etc. So if you are flashing the phone from scratch (the acer_ug from sdcard or the Acer download manager), then it will change the radio image; so make sure you load the correct one. If you are installing a custom rom via the recovery, it should not touch the radio image and thus is safer if you want to try out roms. This is my understanding from playing with other phones (G1/ZTE Blade/Z71).

I would ALWAYS make a backup before reflashing, if only to save alot of work getting back to the point you were before you reflashed!!! I mean you can restore it all back, but that will take some time, so better to take a backup.

While I am here, has anyone use the recovery to do full backup/restores? Would be nice to know it all works properly. Sorry I haven't as I have just got the phone.

If I got any of this wrong; feel free to correct me.

I believe there are two different versions of the phone. An EMEA one and an ASIA/US one. The differences are in the frequencies the phone operates on (EMEA: 3G:900/2100 ASIA: 3G:850/2100).

Do you have any link regarding EMEA: 3G:900/2100 ASIA: 3G:850/2100?

Thanks,

Guest kramkandy

Ill appreciates if someone explains what each of following does and why to do it?

1.) Download the Gingerbreak leak: http://www.multiupload.com/NBSC3OP3DO

8.) Download Recovery 2.2: http://android.modac...r-liquidmt-v22/

11.) Download your custom ROM e.g. http://android.modac...final-tl-metal/ and copy and paste onto the SDCard

Hey guys,

I understand the purpose of step 8 and 11, as i have a htc magic and have gone from adroiod 1.6 through to 2.3.4 but have never had to flash any "leaks" to it, its always just been a full wipe and flash from recovery..

Why is it necessary to perform step 1 with each custom ROM used?

Thanks for the help and sorry if this has been clarified in another post

Guest k0zmic

Hey guys,

I understand the purpose of step 8 and 11, as i have a htc magic and have gone from adroiod 1.6 through to 2.3.4 but have never had to flash any "leaks" to it, its always just been a full wipe and flash from recovery..

Why is it necessary to perform step 1 with each custom ROM used?

Thanks for the help and sorry if this has been clarified in another post

The leak is to upgrade the radio/baseband I think.

You can switch between custom ROM's using just recovery and full wipe without having to go from step one, assuming the radio version installed is correct for the ROM.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest renoman

How to install a Custom ROM

1.) Download Gingerbread: http://vache-android....php?fileID=124

2.) Extract the "acer_ug" folder from the zip file on your SDCard

(optional) : Reboot in recovery and wipe all/factory reset

3.) Power off your phone

4.) Boot to SD Download Mode with Camera / Vol- / Power (the phone will vibrate 3 times)

5.) Wait until it has finished, the phone will reboot

6.) Activate USB debugging on your phone.(How to)

7.) Plug your phone to your computer with your USB cable

8.) Download Recovery 3.0: http://vache-android....php?fileID=125

9.) Unzip the "RecoveryMT-3.0" folder from the zip file

10.) Launch "install_recovery.cmd"

11.) Download your custom ROM e.g. http://android.modac...y-301-05112011/ and copy and paste either files onto the SDCard

12.) Boot into recovery mode using Volume Up + Volume Down + Focus (Press Camera button Gently) + Power

13.) Wipe all user data (don't wipe the SD Card).

14.) Go back and select 'Flash .zip from SDCard' and browse to the ROM file, confirm.

15.) Enjoy

I've a problem on step 12; i got an exlamation mark and the phone is not responding. I can do 1 thing, pull out the batterie.

I've tried it several times.

Any idea?

Guest super_momia

Hello, I got a fews days ago my first Android phone, is an Acer liquid metal (S120). I want to install a personalized rom and i see this page, but i have a problems with procedure.

I tried to install a custom rom following the guide but I don't know how to pass the point 9, unzip the file RecoveryMT-3.0 on my PC? or phone? guess it's on PC, point 10, I start 'Install_recovery.cmd', put the point 11 in SD, but in point 12 the phone shows a triangle with a load bar and disappears quickly and restarts . Cmd program could not do anything

Someone can explain me some more detailed steps, I'm very new at this.

Thank you very much

Edited by super_momia

Yeah un-zip that Recovery file onto your PC, plug the phone in and then launch 'install_recovery'. For step 11 Copy the ROM file (the .zip) onto the SDCard. I think for step 12 the combination to boot into recovery mode has changed. I'll update it.