Which ROM is best?

Guest MrSwampy

Guest MrSwampy

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to find the best ROM for the Vega to suit my needs... I'm new to tablets so please forgive my ignorance!

My priorities are:

Speed - The ROM I use must be as zippy as possible of the Vega's hardware.

Functionality - So wifi, bluetooth, touchscreen, camera, etc. must all work as they should.

Compatibility - I'd like to be able to use as many apps as possible.

Aesthetics - I'd like it to be a modern and tasty GUI.

There are so so many ROMs out there, and for every ROM there's another 10 versions! Please help??

Thank you smile.gif

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to find the best ROM for the Vega to suit my needs... I'm new to tablets so please forgive my ignorance!

My priorities are:

Speed - The ROM I use must be as zippy as possible of the Vega's hardware.

Functionality - So wifi, bluetooth, touchscreen, camera, etc. must all work as they should.

Compatibility - I'd like to be able to use as many apps as possible.

Aesthetics - I'd like it to be a modern and tasty GUI.

There are so so many ROMs out there, and for every ROM there's another 10 versions! Please help??

Thank you smile.gif

*Sighhh* here we go again...

Ok basically theres 4 main roms, so to say, they are.

1. Modaco

2. Corvus5

3. Vegacomb

4. CM7

Modaco is getting pretty old now, and so i wuldnt actually recommend it, maybe if r9 or r10 comes out :L

Corvus5 SP1 is a very fast android 2.2 rom with everything working (i think) a long with a few nice extras... Corvus is a gd starting rom, but as is modaco.

Vegacomb is basically android 3.0 Honeycomb, and in its latest iteration is at build 8.1, its super super amazingly fast, and everything works. Plus it looks nice :)

CM7 is android 2.3, and i personally have not used it, and so hav no opinion, soz.

Questions? ;)

Guest MrSwampy

Vegacomb is basically android 3.0 Honeycomb, and in its latest iteration is at build 8.1, its super super amazingly fast, and everything works. Plus it looks nice :)

Brilliant reply! Thanks Adam. So by the sound of it, Vegacomb is the way to go? I was finding it difficult to get information about whether or not it slowed down the tablet and if it was still buggy or not.

It's the ROM I would like to use, being that it's based on Honeycomb, I just need to be sure it's ready for real-world use?

Guest HypoTurtle

Brilliant reply! Thanks Adam. So by the sound of it, Vegacomb is the way to go? I was finding it difficult to get information about whether or not it slowed down the tablet and if it was still buggy or not.

It's the ROM I would like to use, being that it's based on Honeycomb, I just need to be sure it's ready for real-world use?

It is ready for every day use, and it's actually 3.2 not 3.0 in its latest iteration. The latest build is essentially flawless as the ROM is essentially stock 3.2 with tweaks and adaptations to have it run on the vega. Any bugs and issues are in my opinion quirks of the stock software. Currently though the camera works in some apps and is being worked on, so if you need a stable camera I'd recommend CM7 or Corvus5, I've used CM7 more in the past and it looks good to me but everyone has there own preference.

With Vegacomb some people have issues installing, others like myself have not. Probably down to different hardware batches , but if/once you get it running it works very well. It is also very simple to switch between them using CWM so you can try them all before you settle on one.

Your preferences also don't help much in choosing, you need to think more about what you'll mainly be doing; HD gaming, video streaming, web browsing, office apps .

HyT

Edit: Yea I think other tabs when they were released with 3.0.1 (ie Vegacomb 1.7) they had issues so the update to 3.2 ironed out some of these issues (and increased the hardware and screen sizes that could run HC)

Edited by HypoTurtle

It is ready for every day use, and it's actually 3.2 not 3.0 in its latest iteration. The latest build is essentially flawless as the ROM is essentially stock 3.2 with tweaks and adaptations to have it run on the vega. Any bugs and issues are in my opinion quirks of the stock software. Currently though the camera works in some apps and is being worked on, so if you need a stable camera I'd recommend CM7 or Corvus5, I've used CM7 more in the past and it looks good to me but everyone has there own preference.

With Vegacomb some people have issues installing, others like myself have not. Probably down to different hardware batches , but if/once you get it running it works very well. It is also very simple to switch between them using CWM so you can try them all before you settle on one.

Oh yeh it is 3.2, my bad ;)

thanks hypoturtle, and yes vegacomb 8.1 is pretty much the perfect rom if ur after HC.

Guest MrSwampy

Thanks HypoTurtle & Adam for your well informed replies and advice.

My main uses will be browsing, streaming and a small amount of office work. Inevitably, I'll want to play a few games aswell, but nothing heavy.

Based on your comments, I think Vegacomb is the way to go. Sounds like it's streets ahead of what I expected. Speed is my number one bug-bear, I can't stand a laggy GUI, but it seems like this isn't an issue.

If you have any further recommendations (apps that are particularly useful with this build, etc.), please let me know. But I think you've both helped answer my question perfectly. Thanks guys :)

Yep defintaley vc is the way to go, and no problem mr swampy, u know how to flash it right? And I wul d recommend news 360 for tablet to start, great widget and helpful news. I will think of more later, all the tegra games r gd errmmm... ;)

Guest MrSwampy

Yep defintaley vc is the way to go, and no problem mr swampy, u know how to flash it right? And I wul d recommend news 360 for tablet to start, great widget and helpful news. I will think of more later, all the tegra games r gd errmmm... ;)

Cheers Adam, I'm just reading up on how to flash it now rolleyes.gif

News 360 looks good, will definitely try that. I haven't heard of Tegra games, I assume they're games specifically for the nVidia Tegra chip? Will Google them and find out more wink.gif

Cheers Adam, I'm just reading up on how to flash it now rolleyes.gif

News 360 looks good, will definitely try that. I haven't heard of Tegra games, I assume they're games specifically for the nVidia Tegra chip? Will Google them and find out more wink.gif

yep, just use clockwork mod and then it super easy, is this ur first android device ?:) yeh news 360 is great, as is weatherbug for hc and accuwether for tablet.

Guest MrSwampy

yep, just use clockwork mod and then it super easy, is this ur first android device ?:) yeh news 360 is great, as is weatherbug for hc and accuwether for tablet.

It's kinda my first Android device and kinda not...! I have a Vodafone H1 360 which shipped with a nasty Vodafone OS, so I flashed it with a custom Android ROM that was in development (but has since stopped I think). The basics worked, but most features didn't work properly and it was very laggy and liable to crash, so although I've used Android, I wouldn't say I've had the full Android experience yet! laugh.gif

Do the standard phone apps work on VC or do I need to get specific tablet versions?

It's kinda my first Android device and kinda not...! I have a Vodafone H1 360 which shipped with a nasty Vodafone OS, so I flashed it with a custom Android ROM that was in development (but has since stopped I think). The basics worked, but most features didn't work properly and it was very laggy and liable to crash, so although I've used Android, I wouldn't say I've had the full Android experience yet! laugh.gif

Do the standard phone apps work on VC or do I need to get specific tablet versions?

Right, so ur familiar with the whole flashing roms scene?

and erm, most apps do work on HC but a few have been optomised for tablet or optomised for honeycomb.

for example pulse news and tweetcaster HD :P

Guest jono4001

Just back and catching up with latest developments guys the newest version off android okay with usb now ?? sure it was the camera nd usb that was needing to be sorted on last build ??

VegaComb is excellent but there are still a number of bugs / issues being worked out. From memory, the 2 main ones are the camera not working all the time and you can't boot into USB Host mode,

Apart from that, VC is the way to go - Corvus5 is an excellent ROM but VC is so stable now that unless you need camera & USB Host, it would be silly to use Android 2.x

Guest MrSwampy

Right, so ur familiar with the whole flashing roms scene?

and erm, most apps do work on HC but a few have been optomised for tablet or optomised for honeycomb.

for example pulse news and tweetcaster HD :P

Yep, I'm happy enough flashing. I've done a number of phones over the years, and so far haven't bricked anything! rolleyes.gif

Any advice on a decent keyboard? Somebody mentioned "Hacker's Keyboard" to me a while ago, I'll try that if you have no other suggestions?

VegaComb is excellent but there are still a number of bugs / issues being worked out. From memory, the 2 main ones are the camera not working all the time and you can't boot into USB Host mode,

Apart from that, VC is the way to go - Corvus5 is an excellent ROM but VC is so stable now that unless you need camera & USB Host, it would be silly to use Android 2.x

I'm really not that bothered about the camera, it'd be nice to have it working in Skype at some stage, but it's not a deal-breaker. I didn't know about the USB thing though... is there currently no way to use USB as host on VC? Is it set as slave permanently?

Guest premieral

Yep, I'm happy enough flashing. I've done a number of phones over the years, and so far haven't bricked anything! rolleyes.gif

Any advice on a decent keyboard? Somebody mentioned "Hacker's Keyboard" to me a while ago, I'll try that if you have no other suggestions?

I'm really not that bothered about the camera, it'd be nice to have it working in Skype at some stage, but it's not a deal-breaker. I didn't know about the USB thing though... is there currently no way to use USB as host on VC? Is it set as slave permanently?

skype is voice only anyway so camera would be of no use for this, i believe that the dock usb ports work as hosts with 3.2.

however i cant be sure as i have not needed to use the usb since the first week i got the vega to be honest.

what do you want host mode for what will you be attaching?

Guest MrSwampy

skype is voice only anyway so camera would be of no use for this, i believe that the dock usb ports work as hosts with 3.2.

however i cant be sure as i have not needed to use the usb since the first week i got the vega to be honest.

what do you want host mode for what will you be attaching?

We're constantly passing around flash drives with various data at work, less so now that we use Dropbox, but we still use the flash drives for larger files. So this is a no-no with VC?

Sort of related to this, but what exactly is the benefits of VC over Corvus SP1? I've never found a clear answer to this.

I'm running corvus and it does everything great and fast. Apart from looking fancier and the bragging factor of running Honeycomb what can VC do better??

Edited by gh69

I've just gone back to Corvus5 SP1 as the touchscreen appears to loose calibration in the top half after a couple of days of Vegacomb (sometimes less).

I've paid for ADW Laucher. This gives more icons on the home screens (No idea what it's called) and generally a more polished feel. Most of the time you wouldn't know it's a 2.2 rom. I also quite like the split 'thumb board' that is standard in Corvus5. It's quick, it's stable, USB host mode works.. My apps work. So it doesn't look quite as pretty and I can't have resizeable widgets, but it works quite well.

Any other must haves for Corvus5? Widgets? Apps?

@ sjrixon My wife has gone back to a Froyo ROM on her Vega. Too many problems were happening with the VC release for it to be anything other than a constant reinstall then use for a few days and then install again.

The only thing that I would miss in not using VC is how certain tablet apps like Youtube and IMDB look on the Vega compared to when they are ran on Corvus, for example.

@dibbles - Both apps I don't use.. So far the only think I have missed is the web browser.. But I am sure there must be something better out there.

Give me stability over cutting edge! (I must be getting old)

@dibbles - Both apps I don't use.. So far the only think I have missed is the web browser.. But I am sure there must be something better out there.

Give me stability over cutting edge! (I must be getting old)

How much I agree with you, in regards to stability. However, for once, I am leaning towards aesthetics and looks of the two apps that I quoted. If I didn't use them as often as I do I would either be using the Fuji ROM or the Corvus with 120dpi. Both the Froyo ROM's that I quoted are quite amazing running on the Vega. They are fast, fully functional and completely stable.

not been here for a while so im a bit behind on the latest ROM news

is the new vegacomb really fully working now? even flash? been very happily using the corvus5 rom for a fair while now but a fully working vegacomb would certainly be worth replacing it with

Guest MrSwampy

not been here for a while so im a bit behind on the latest ROM news

is the new vegacomb really fully working now? even flash? been very happily using the corvus5 rom for a fair while now but a fully working vegacomb would certainly be worth replacing it with

I'm not sure mxbob, I'm still confused! The first half of the thread suggests VC is quick, stable and ready to rock! But the second half of the thread suggests it's still buggy and un-stable... huh.gif

I'm gonna take the first advice and give it a go, time will tell...

I'm not sure mxbob, I'm still confused! The first half of the thread suggests VC is quick, stable and ready to rock! But the second half of the thread suggests it's still buggy and un-stable... huh.gif

I'm gonna take the first advice and give it a go, time will tell...

well if it is still buggy i can highly recommend the Corvus5 rom

ive been using it as my rom for ages now and its very quick and very stable