Custom ROM queries

Guest Sean__D

Hi, first post! :-)

I just bought an OMC yesterday, couldn't wait any longer;-) I'm a complete newbie to Android and custom roms, so inevitably I have a couple of queries about the process.

Am I understanding correctly that ClockworkMod Recovery is an App that can't be downloaded from the App store but has to be installed differently. This app then allows a custom ROM to be put on the OMC?

Which custom ROM should I use, MagikStarAddict or BlueGinger? What are the differences between the two please?

From my current usage with the stock ROM, I kind of like the keyboard feature where you can just slide from key to key - since this is part of the Orange keyboard though, will it be lost if I put a custom ROM on? Likewise with the ability to piggy-back on a Wi-Fi network and avoid paying mobile data charges? (I don't know if that is a standard Android feature).

Thanks very much!

Hi, first post! :-)

I just bought an OMC yesterday, couldn't wait any longer;-) I'm a complete newbie to Android and custom roms, so inevitably I have a couple of queries about the process.

Am I understanding correctly that ClockworkMod Recovery is an App that can't be downloaded from the App store but has to be installed differently. This app then allows a custom ROM to be put on the OMC?

Which custom ROM should I use, MagikStarAddict or BlueGinger? What are the differences between the two please?

From my current usage with the stock ROM, I kind of like the keyboard feature where you can just slide from key to key - since this is part of the Orange keyboard though, will it be lost if I put a custom ROM on? Likewise with the ability to piggy-back on a Wi-Fi network and avoid paying mobile data charges? (I don't know if that is a standard Android feature).

Thanks very much!

clockworkmod recovery replaces the stock recover partion, allowing us to flash custom roms.

choosing a rom really depends on your liking, my advice would be to try them all as all are fully working apart from CM7 (bluetooth).

i think you can download the xt9 keyboard from the market if its not on the rom you like bestsmile.gif

Edited by tillaz

clockworkmod recovery replaces the stock recover partion, allowing us to flash custom roms.

choosing a rom really depends on your liking, my advice would be to try them all as all are fully working apart from CM7 (bluetooth).

i think you can download the xt9 keyboard from the market if its not on the rom you like bestsmile.gif

Cool, thanks. I saw your replies to Navie in his "help with rooting" thread, hopefully they will be useful for me too.

Any thoughts on the ability to use a Wi-fi network without being charged, is that an Orange only thing?

Any thoughts on the ability to use a Wi-fi network without being charged, is that an Orange only thing?

yes all available roms have fully working wifi, you will never be charge for using wifi on any device as it just shares your home connection/hotspot smile.gif

Edited by tillaz