[STOPPED] CyanogenMod Beta2 Omnia 2 (updated: 04.05.2012)

Guest voyteckst

Guest AoSra1n

There is something wrong with you ...

I've unplugged my phone yesterday at 9pm, 30 sms latter, 20 or more calls about half hour of wi-fi, using 3G network and now I've got 33% battery left ...

And also at anyone who gets more than 8-15 hours of battery life. I also get very little battery life, and i have installed very little on android. Surely it cant be related to hardware. I would like to ask a few questions.

What installation of B3 are you using? Is it the B2 to B3 upgrade on sdcard, complete B3 autoinstall on sd card, or manual install on Internal storage?

Have you modified your original winmo phone? If so, what version? e.g. Winmo 6.5.3 on JJ1

Guest NehomarC

Traducción de texto o de páginas webHealth, also in my case it consumes battery very fast, about 7 hours, and is totally free in normal use SMS about another 20 minutes on 3G, 5 short diracion calls :(

With the beta2 I lasted about 30-45 hours battery ... :huh:

Escribe texto o la dirección de un sitio web, o bien, traduce un documento.Cancelar

traducción del español al inglés

Guest longsin

I'm sorry, i was wrong. It can't be a .txt file.

Easy to solve, running Android:

1) Dev Tools > Terminal Emulator

2) run this commands:

su

mv /etc/fstab.txt /etc/fstab

swapon -a

And then run "free" command:

free

It will show you some thing like this:

Mem:   	124188   	120000 		4188        	

Swap:   	128512      	180   	128332

Total:   	252700   	120180   	132520

If swap is not 0000, then is working. I thought it could be a txt file because in my desktop linux (Slackware) fstab is a .txt file. But in Android .txt didn't work.

thanks! i say particular step 1 copy my attachment (fstab.txt) to SD 2 install R.E 3 Open R.E 4 copy fstab.txt to etc 5 Dev Tools > Terminal Emulator 6 three command: su---mv /etc/fstab.txt /etc/fstab----swapon -a ok

fstab.txt

Edited by longsin

Guest Gardakkan

Unofficial guide: How to manually install Android 2.2 (Froyo) beta 3 release on My Storage partition instead of external SD card on the Samsung Omnia II (GT-i8000)

WARNING: This guide will remove the hidden partition from your phone.

(But I guess it's possible to just resize the my storage partition to get the space you need for the swap and ext4 partitions without loosing the hidden partition)

Always make a backup of your phone before doing this kind of procedure to your phone.SPB Backup is a good software to do that on WinMo you can also store all of your contacts on your SIM card also backup all files you want to keep that is on the My Storage partition.

Note: You can use this guide starting at step 2 to upgrade from beta2 to beta3 (that's how I installed it) You only need to create the linux-swap partition using gparted

Disclaimer: This guide worked for me with the Omnia II (GT-i8000) 16 Gb version so it may not work on other phones compatible with this build. I cannot be held responsible for any damage to you and/or your phone.

Requirements:

- Samsung Omnia II (model GT-i8000)

- Froyo 2.2 Beta 3 build

- Windows (XP, Vista or 7)

- Linux (Live CD or Bootable USB key or a Virtual Machine like VirtualBox since it can link the USB port to the VM. You can use the ubuntu iso as a live CD with VirtualBox so you dont have to install the whole thing)

- Knowledge of Linux is a good thing also to have

- ext4.tar.gz from froyo_beta3.zip

- haret.exe, zImage and startup.txt from froyo_beta3.zip (not from the o2beta folder but from the root of the zip file) - [ you can get startup.txt from beta2 manual installer package froyo_beta2_manual_inst.zip ]

1- Preparing the filesystem: phone booted on Windows Mobile and PC under Linux

- Connect your phone to your PC (Making sure you've selected the My Storage partition in Home -> General Settings -> USB Connection -> Mass Storage -> My Storage)

- Started Gparted and choose the 15.36 Gb partition (should be the last device in the dropdown list)

- Unmount the fat32 partition

- Delete the fat32 partition and all other partitions including the extended partition (this will remove the hidden partition)

- Create 1 primary fat32 partition of about 14.7 Gb labeled sdcard

- Create 1 primary ext4 partition of 1 Gb labeled system

- Create 1 primary linux-swap partition of 128 mb (mine is 256 mb but 128 mb is more than enough)

- Apply the changes (this might take a while so go get something to drink)

- Reboot your phone so that WinMo ajusts its new My Storage partition.

2- Copying the files:

Mount /media/system and extract the content of ext4.tar.gz (sdd2 could be different for you depending on how many disks you have in your PC)

sudo mount /dev/sdd2 /media/system

sudo tar zxvf ext4.tar.gz -C /media/system
Mount /media/sdcard and copy haret.exe, startup.txt and zImage from froyo_beta3.zip
sudo mount /dev/sdd1 /media/sdcard

cp haret.exe zImage startup.txt /media/sdcard
3- Changing configuration files: vold.fstab in /media/system/system/etc
sudo vi /media/system/system/etc/vold.fstab
Change the following line:
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.0/mmc_host/mmc0
Like this:
dev_mount sdcard /sdcard auto /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.1/mmc_host/mmc1
init.rc in /media/system/ (optional: If you want to use your external SD card)
sudo vi /media/system/init.rc
mount vfat /dev/block/mmcblk1p5 /storage
Like this:
mount vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /storage
startup.txt in /media/sdcard
vi /media/sdcard/startup.txt
Set CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 init=/init console=ttySAC2,115200"
Like this:
Set CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk1p2 init=/init console=ttySAC2,115200"
fstab in /media/system/system/etc
sudo touch /media/system/system/etc/fstab

sudo chmod 666 /media/system/system/etc/fstab

sudo echo /dev/block/mmcblk1p3 swap swap defaults 0 0 > /media/system/system/etc/fstab
4- Unmount the 2 paritions
sudo umount /media/system

sudo umount /media/sdcard

5- Starting Android 2.2 (Froyo)

Unplug your phone from your PC

Phone booted under WinMo: Home -> File explorer -> My Storage -> haret.exe

Note: It's normal that the Loading Omnia 2 screen and Android logo screen takes longer on first boot since it's unpacking the apps.

6- Enjoy your brand new Android smartphone :D

I think that's about it, I tried to put in as much details possible from memory since I didn't want to reinstall the whole thing again.

Edited by Gardakkan

Guest Gardakkan
1. Can I use ext2/3 or doesn it have to be 4?

I don't know about this one I never tried it, if it works let me know.

2. Does the android partition have to be called "system" ?

nope you could name it anything its just for the auto-mount when I plug in my phone to my PC so that I dont get super long named mounts with letters and numbers

I'm doing a fresh install now. Will update later.

Already did the fresh install.

So far so good.

Bluetooth working, Wifi working, Confirm much smoother than 2.1.

Only problem is Viber apps.

When making phone calls using Viber, sound only comes out from loudspeaker and not from ear speaker.

Even after I've adjusted all settings..... Hmmm.... anyway not a big issue.

Great thanks to Devs Team for making Android 2.2 working on Omnia II....!

Guest thanh_nha0706

Unofficial guide: How to manually install Android 2.2 (Froyo) beta 3 release on My Storage partition instead of external SD card on the Samsung Omnia II (GT-i8000)

WARNING: This guide will remove the hidden partition from your phone.

(But I guess it's possible to just resize the my storage partition to get the space you need for the swap and ext4 partitions without loosing the hidden partition)

Always make a backup of your phone before doing this kind of procedure to your phone.SPB Backup is a good software to do that on WinMo you can also store all of your contacts on your SIM card also backup all files you want to keep that is on the My Storage partition.

Note: You can use this guide starting at step 2 to upgrade from beta2 to beta3 (that's how I installed it) You only need to create the linux-swap partition using gparted

Disclaimer: This guide worked for me with the Omnia II (GT-i8000) 16 Gb version so it may not work on other phones compatible with this build. I cannot be held responsible for any damage to you and/or your phone.

Requirements:

- Samsung Omnia II (model GT-i8000)

- Froyo 2.2 Beta 3 build

- Windows (XP, Vista or 7)

- Linux (Live CD or Bootable USB key or a Virtual Machine like VirtualBox since it can link the USB port to the VM. You can use the ubuntu iso as a live CD with VirtualBox so you dont have to install the whole thing)

- Knowledge of Linux is a good thing also to have

- ext4.tar.gz from froyo_beta3.zip

- haret.exe, zImage and startup.txt from froyo_beta3.zip (not from the o2beta folder but from the root of the zip file) - [ you can get startup.txt from beta2 manual installer package froyo_beta2_manual_inst.zip ]

1- Preparing the filesystem: phone booted on Windows Mobile and PC under Linux

- Connect your phone to your PC (Making sure you've selected the My Storage partition in Home -> General Settings -> USB Connection -> Mass Storage -> My Storage)

- Started Gparted and choose the 15.36 Gb partition (should be the last device in the dropdown list)

- Unmount the fat32 partition

- Delete the fat32 partition and all other partitions including the extended partition (this will remove the hidden partition)

- Create 1 fat32 partition of about 14.7 Gb labeled sdcard

- Create 1 ext4 partition of 1 Gb labeled system

- Create 1 linux-swap partition of 128 mb (mine is 256 mb but 128 mb is more than enough)

- Apply the changes (this might take a while so go get something to drink)

- Reboot your phone so that WinMo ajusts its new My Storage partition.

2- Copying the files:

Mount /media/system and extract the content of ext4.tar.gz (sdd2 could be different for you depending on how many disks you have in your PC)

sudo mount /dev/sdd2 /media/system

sudo tar zxvf ext4.tar.gz -C /media/system
Mount /media/sdcard and copy haret.exe, startup.txt and zImage from froyo_beta3.zip
sudo mount /dev/sdd1 /media/sdcard

cp haret.exe zImage startup.txt /media/sdcard
3- Changing configuration files: vold.fstab in /media/system/system/etc
sudo vi /media/system/system/etc/vold.fstab
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.0/mmc_host/mmc0
Like this:
dev_mount sdcard /sdcard auto /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.1/mmc_host/mmc1
mount vfat /dev/block/mmcblk1p5 /storage
Like this:
mount vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /storage
startup.txt in /media/sdcard
vi /media/sdcard/startup.txt
Set CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 init=/init console=ttySAC2,115200"
Like this:
Set CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk1p2 init=/init console=ttySAC2,115200"
fstab in /media/system/system/etc
sudo touch /media/system/system/etc/fstab

sudo chmod 666 /media/system/system/etc/fstab

sudo echo /dev/block/mmcblk1p3 swap swap defaults 0 0 > /media/system/system/etc/fstab
4- Unmount the 2 paritions
sudo umount /media/system

sudo umount /media/sdcard

5- Starting Android 2.2 (Froyo)

Unplug your phone from your PC

Phone booted under WinMo: Home -> File explorer -> My Storage -> haret.exe

Note: It's normal that the Loading Omnia 2 screen and Android logo screen takes longer on first boot since it's unpacking the apps.

6- Enjoy your brand new Android smartphone :D

I think that's about it, I tried to put in as much details possible from memory since I didn't want to reinstall the whole thing again.

How long did it take for the first time???? Mine is hung at logo boot!!!

beta3 runs much slower than b2 due to insufficient RAM memory.for someone who don't play much game, will there be a version with more available system memory?thanks!

if you use b2 zimage(pink screen one) on beta 3 it will have same ram

you can check easy

no need reinstallation only change zimage thats it since yesterday i my phone good working no heat and longer battery life :rolleyes::)

thanks dev s team and vocteyk

mount vfat /dev/block/mmcblk1p5 /storage[/code]

Like this:

[CODE]mount vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /storage[/code]

[/color][/font]

[color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=2]I think you have made a mistake by not adjust the settings from sdcard so it will not mount on android.. [/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][size=2]how do you think? correct me if I wrong.. [/size][/font][/color]smile.gif

Guest Gardakkan

I think you have made a mistake by not adjust the settings from sdcard so it will not mount on android.. how do you think? correct me if I wrong.. smile.gif

yes and no: sdcard is /storage since internal memory is /mnt/sdcard but it's possible to switch the names you just need to make sure you modify the right lines so it matches what you want.

Guest Gardakkan

How long did it take for the first time???? Mine is hung at logo boot!!!

It hanged for me too once but I removed battery and restarted and it worked

also are you using the default extended partition and just resized the fat32 partition? if so maybe the partitions are not set properly in startup.txt or init.rc or vold.fstab

Edited by Gardakkan

Hv just reinstall a clean b3 manually,plus setting swap on sd card (make sure u have the swap parttion set to primary,logical doesn't work in my case)

force close Camera is still A issue (once thought it's lacking of mem,but swap proved me wrong)

Will check on if battery gets better w/o swapper @ background

Guest Gardakkan

also forgot to add in the notes of the guide that to know which partition is which remember that if your ext4 partition is /dev/sdd2 and you have an external sdcard in the phone then it would be /dev/block/mmcblk1p2

the last number of the block partition is the same as the device

Guest Gardakkan

Hv just reinstall a clean b3 manually,plus setting swap on sd card (make sure u have the swap parttion set to primary,logical doesn't work in my case)

force close Camera is still A issue (once thought it's lacking of mem,but swap proved me wrong)

Will check on if battery gets better w/o swapper @ background

I knew I forgot to say that all the partitions are primary, I will edit the guide, thanks for pointing that out :)

yes and no: sdcard is /storage since internal memory is /mnt/sdcard but it's possible to switch the names you just need to make sure you modify the right lines so it matches what you want.

I've followed all the tutorials which you have made, but the sdcard dont want to mount.. when i open the gallery/music there is a info that my sdcard is not present.. rolleyes.gifI am a bit confused with your instructions about vold.fstab, what are the effects of changing these vold.fstab? oouucchh damn it, I still cant use the camera, give up on it.sad.gif

Edited by xcavs

I'm sorry, i was wrong. It can't be a .txt file.

Easy to solve, running Android:

1) Dev Tools > Terminal Emulator

2) run this commands:

su

mv /etc/fstab.txt /etc/fstab

swapon -a

And then run "free" command:

free

It will show you some thing like this:

Mem:   	124188   	120000 		4188        	

Swap:   	128512      	180   	128332

Total:   	252700   	120180   	132520

If swap is not 0000, then is working. I thought it could be a txt file because in my desktop linux (Slackware) fstab is a .txt file. But in Android .txt didn't work.

Thanks it worked

Guest lipe123

@ Gardakkan

Wow your tutorial worked! I just needed one line, the part where you edit the vol.fstab file!

Now my SD card does not show, so do I just uncomment the line the init.rc that reads: # mount vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /sdcard

Oh and change it to 0p1 for the SD card right?

Also usb connection to PC doesnt seem to work in android, is this normal?

Guest thanh_nha0706

@ Gardakkan

Wow your tutorial worked! I just needed one line, the part where you edit the vol.fstab file!

Now my SD card does not show, so do I just uncomment the line the init.rc that reads: # mount vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /sdcard

Oh and change it to 0p1 for the SD card right?

Mee, too. After following the instruction, I finally installed successfully with swap working great. However, my phone doesn't recognize internal storage as SD (doesn't show) and USB seems not to work...Any helps???

still not work for me.. :( I format my storage more than 10 times already...

I think I'll wait for next Beta.. or automatic install for "My Storage"..

thank's dev team.. and thank's for all that suggest another option to install Beta 3..

Guest lipe123

I changed the line in init.rc to enable the SD card and it worked to some extent.

The SD card shows up under /mnt/sdcard with the files i put on there as a test but still the camera app wont work and complains that there is no SD card present?

... skip...

Just upgrading from b2 may cause usb detection a bit tricky. Better do a clean B3 install if u exp. that. For me,usb is 100% detected since Edited by Job21

Guest lipe123

Just upgrading from b2 may cause usb detection a bit tricky. Better do a clean B3 install if u exp. that. For me,usb is 100% detected since

I did a clean install from B3 to internal "my storage" maybe thats the problem or idk. Is there a setting/option where we can see USB setup?

Also not sure if it's the app or froyo issue,some app didn't close properly (dolpin browser,root explorer) and keep running at bk ground.that just block the next launch

Hv to kill in setup>application >my app>running

Edited by Job21