[HELP] ENABLE 800x480 RECORDING

Guest tillaz

wot i have learned so far is that the problem is caused by stagefright.so as gingerbread now uses the default encoders in stagefright.so

Edited by tillaz

after trying various camera.apk's from blade roms that have this feature working i have found them all to work fine but in the same manor as stock.... not recording in 800x480.

this makes me believe the camera.apk gets the actual settings for the camera from another directory...

anyone know where ???

Edited by tillaz

Have you tried the lgcamera app? It ignores params and just tries anyway. For example it will let you try to record 1280x720 on a blade. It fails of course, but it doesn't hamper you.

AFAIK most people who record 800x480 on the blade are using lgcamera, including me :)

Have you tried the lgcamera app? It ignores params and just tries anyway. For example it will let you try to record 1280x720 on a blade. It fails of course, but it doesn't hamper you.

AFAIK most people who record 800x480 on the blade are using lgcamera, including me :)

yep, thats the app i use to, or qik video but it fails to record in other resolutions & plays back all green & messed up....

i will upload a video so people have a better idea wot i mean, as its rather hard to explain huh.gif

found this posted somewhere, i know its for a diffident phone but might help

I looked into libcamera.so and compared it to Milestone. I found that the file has some interesting camera properties, those are text values at offset ~85%.

One is "preview-size-values". It is set on Defy to 176x144,320x240,352x288,480x272,480x360,640x480. It seems to be limited to 640x480 max, I don't have explanation why. Milestone has different values, some are larger.

This value is important for video recording, as camera uses preview overlay as the source for OMX encoding (I got it by analysing logcat output). So basically, what you see with camera app preview is then captured, compressed and written to file during video recording. Also notice that if you select widescreen shots, preview area increases to almost whole screen, however due to actualy preview window is only 640x480, the image is stretched, and is not so sharp as with ordinary preview.

I compiled and tested native Android Camera app with different video sizes. I tried to set the sizes explicitly (to say, 1280x720, 720x480, etc) but got same error in logcat saying that requested size larger than allowed preview sizes. So we might want to modify libcamera.so at first.

Another interesting property is mot-video-size-values. It is used by built-in Motorola' Camera app, which technically supports 720p, but allows only those values specified by this property (also set to 640x480 at max for Defy).

I also looked into the Linux kernel provided by Motorola and found that camera is compatible with Video4Linux (V4L2). Camera device is /dev/video3. It can be opened from the shell using compiled C sources. I tried some V4L2 examples, they worked and provided some information about camera device, but failed to capture any data. There is another camera device called /dev/camera0, which seems to control power state of camera. All drivers are open sourced, but libcamera.so is not.

Most likely 720p support can be enabled, I believe it is just limited by software.

Edited by tillaz

Guest tillaz

i am starting to consider selling my OMC if i can not get the video recording to work at 480p as this woz the main reason i got it, thinking if the blade can this should be able to, i cant live with video recording quality this bad,

Guest tilal6991

i am starting to consider selling my OMC if i can not get the video recording to work at 480p as this woz the main reason i got it, thinking if the blade can this should be able to, i cant live with video recording quality this bad,

It is possible and I think I am close - however I will need until at least this weekend to test my theory as I am very busy. It should easily be able to support 480p and most likely 720p as well. It jsut takes some time - it took AGES with the Blade.

Guest tillaz

It is possible and I think I am close - however I will need until at least this weekend to test my theory as I am very busy. It should easily be able to support 480p and most likely 720p as well. It jsut takes some time - it took AGES with the Blade.

i really hope you can figure it out because i am out of ideas now... everything i try ether makes no difference or will not boot lol sad.gif

but i think it is somehing to do with the codecs

Guest tilal6991

i really hope you can figure it out because i am out of ideas now... everything i try ether makes no difference or will not boot lol sad.gif

but i think it is somehing to do with the codecs

Apparantly the SFR ROM has 480p enabled - have a look if the codec/libcamera from there enables it.

Guest tillaz

Apparantly the SFR ROM has 480p enabled - have a look if the codec/libcamera from there enables it.

this rom is just the same unfortunately just tried. i even tried the libcamera from a working blade couple days ago... all worked fine except the 480p

(same green screen) sad.gif

hope you have better luck with this.. feel like i'm banging my head against brick wall lol blink.gif

Edited by tillaz

Guest tillaz

i have it on and dont no which 1 is 480 is it vga cif qvga qcif i can test now

unfortunately vga = 640x480 (360p)

WVGA = 800X480 (480p)

Edited by tillaz

Guest tillaz

my money is now on the problem being some where in them files below as the codecs are apparently built in to libstagfright in 2.3, where as in froyo they were not....

pictureji.png

• 3 weeks later...

OK SO I HAVE LEARNED THAT THE PROBLEM IS CAUSED BY stagefright.so as gingerbread now uses the default encoders in stagefright

different to froyo.....

QUESTION IS... WOT CAN BE DON ABOUT THIS ?

how to even edit >>>> .so ???

Guest TouchyAndalou

OK SO I HAVE LEARNED THAT THE PROBLEM IS CAUSED BY stagefright.so as gingerbread now uses the default encoders in stagefright

different to froyo.....

QUESTION IS... WOT CAN BE DON ABOUT THIS ?

how to even edit >>>> .so ???

This is the file somebody posted in the Blade forum to enable 800x480 recording on gingerbread roms. Not sure if it'll give you any clues?

media_profiles.xml

*edit* I'm pretty sure it only worked on the blade with the lg camera app - video file format set to MPEG4, video encoder H.263

Edited by TouchyAndalou