Orange Monte Carlo down to £119: For how long, though?

Guest glossywhite

Guest glossywhite

Cool, now maybe the title should be updated as well

The title was updated some time ago, if you look. Also, it's bad practice to position the message you are quoting below your reply. It's just back to front, no offence.

Edited by glossywhite

Guest mark2410

im sure its down to them having ordered a boat load since the SF did so well and Orange guenuinly cant understand why this so far hasnt.

Dear Orange, its because your network s*it, data is ungodly slow and expensive as hell. if they sold these unlocked they would be flying off the shelves.

Guest boczkowski

I'm wondering whether I should get one of these.

On giffgaff at the mo'.

Is this thing still unlockable? Really? I can't believe that! I've just hopped over here from the Orange website as the price had dropped and I wondered what you lot were saying.

Is it worth getting one and waiting three months? Do Orange charge for the unlock code after that three months? Do you have to have spent £xx on credit before they'll unlock?

My wife is on Orange and I was going to see if she could get a better price over the phone - do they do that? She's on a ridiculously long £5 a month contract with a basic Nokia at the moment.

/clueless

thanks in advance

Guest glossywhite

I'm wondering whether I should get one of these.

On giffgaff at the mo'.

Is this thing still unlockable? Really? I can't believe that! I've just hopped over here from the Orange website as the price had dropped and I wondered what you lot were saying.

Is it worth getting one and waiting three months? Do Orange charge for the unlock code after that three months? Do you have to have spent £xx on credit before they'll unlock?

My wife is on Orange and I was going to see if she could get a better price over the phone - do they do that? She's on a ridiculously long £5 a month contract with a basic Nokia at the moment.

/clueless

thanks in advance

Answer?: Get one!

Guest knuckless69

The title was updated some time ago, if you look. Also, it's bad practice to position the message you are quoting below your reply. It's just back to front, no offence.

none taken

still, since the price drop appears to be definitive, that's what I meant that the title should reflect

Guest boczkowski

I nipped in Orange today and was told that if I buy a PAYG phone - they'll unlock it there and then for £20

anyone confirm/deny that?

sounds like rubbish to me

surely they make you wait a bit?

Edited by boczkowski

Guest TouchyAndalou

I nipped in Orange today and was told that if I buy a PAYG phone - they'll unlock it there and then for £20

anyone confirm/deny that?

sounds like crap to me

No, you need to have been with them for 3 months before they'll unlock it for you. But if you're planning on buying an OMC and you can get them to do that upon purchase, you should snap their hands off for that deal.

Guest dadashi

orange are really trying to clear big OMC stocks...

I repeat if they let people have their unlock codes from the start, they wouldve sold out their entire stock for 149 pounds a piece instead of handing them out now at a loss...

Guest tillaz

I repeat if they let people have their unlock codes from the start, they wouldve sold out their entire stock for 149 pounds a piece instead of handing them out now at a loss...

totally agree smile.gif

Guest TouchyAndalou

How do you know that Orange are selling them at a loss? I seriously doubt they pay ZTE more than £119.95 per handset.

It's not in Orange's best interest to hand out unlock codes. They're selling subsidized phones hoping that people will use their network. The idea isn't to make a small, one-off profit on each handset sold; the idea is to have long-term customers who top up their phones every month.

Don't get me wrong, I wish I could get an unlock code off them now too - but allowing us to do that would be very poor business practice on their part.

Guest glossywhite

How do you know that Orange are selling them at a loss? I seriously doubt they pay ZTE more than £119.95 per handset.

It's not in Orange's best interest to hand out unlock codes. They're selling subsidized phones hoping that people will use their network. The idea isn't to make a small, one-off profit on each handset sold; the idea is to have long-term customers who top up their phones every month.

Don't get me wrong, I wish I could get an unlock code off them now too - but allowing us to do that would be very poor business practice on their part.

Finally, someone ELSE gets that point! :D

Edited by glossywhite

Guest tillaz

i get your point but if someone phones up & wants an unlock code its rather obvious there not going to use the orange network, & rather than wait three month start looking elsewhere, meaning they end up not even getting the £20 for the unlock...

i mean imagine a free unlock is available from here tomorrow.. that's gonna be a lot of £20s they loss.

in my opinion the 3 month is kind of stupid.. they should just take the £20 while they can... its better than nothing sad.gif

Edited by tillaz

Guest gitf@ce

Not one SINGLE person has thanked me, for tipping you all off about this price reduction... :(

Thanks.

It's all too easy to miss the finer detail sometimes. I got one so...THANKS :)

Guest dadashi

sorry guys, talking way above our heads here, but truthfully Orange are doing a price dump at the moment...119 pounds for the omc....look at all the Skate prices worldwide, they cost more to buy where they are made in china....

and what do they make on their pay and go sims...? same as everyone, very little compared to a contract...its pennies, even with their expensive pay and go options.....

The amount of paygo sims theyve sold helps keep their books looking good, credit rating good and companys shares afloat....

If they sold their omc for 149 pounds without a lock they'da sold out all their omc stocks with thousands of fresh paygo sims....silly buggers

Guest dadashi

and as an example of what I mean, look how well the OSF sold for Orange....They've out done everyone with the Blade at 99 quid.....They must've sold hundreds of thousands of those in a year with all the paygo sims for a tenner which I don't think anybody used...The Blade paygo filled Orange tills for a year and still going...you can buy them at argos, tesco, all over...and nobody uses the sims, they get used up and thrown into a drawer...

and I dont think Orange want to turn into an unlock any mobile for 20 quid shop....

Edited by dadashi

Guest boczkowski

No, you need to have been with them for 3 months before they'll unlock it for you. But if you're planning on buying an OMC and you can get them to do that upon purchase, you should snap their hands off for that deal.

yeah, ask them to do it first, then you pay....

yeah - I'll see if they honour tht tomorrow - or if 'Oscar' was actually talking nonsense

I work for local Govt so get a £20 discount anyway, so that'll pay for the unlock - might try and do it over the phone first as I think they are insisting on you buying £20 of Orange Credit instore (£10 online)

I'll report back if and when I get sorted

Guest tillaz

i would rather not have to give orange the £20, think there a bunch of c#n#s for the way they have treated me...

lying about sending replacement parts out & all the other stuff.. if i get this thing unlocked i will be the first to ring them and say good bye.... laugh.gif

i dont understand why other networks don't copy orange with the network branded zte handsets

Edited by tillaz

• 2 weeks later...