Small problem with my Archos 80 G9

Guest Woshmistro

Guest Woshmistro

I got my Archos yesterday but I've had a problem where it lags badly followed by com.google.process.gapps force closing at random times.

Then today I've been unable to download apps on the site or Market app. All it says is "Error while processing purchase" even for Free apps.

When I checked the Market site the Archos isn't listed in my devices anymore. I've tried clearing data and cache in Market app, removing and re-adding my Google account and singing in and out of Google Talk but none work.

I'm not sure what else to do...

Edited by Woshmistro

Guest Woshmistro

I managed to fix my Android Market problem with the market app shown on this forum http://forum.archosf...hp?f=86&t=57494

The gapps force close has stopped...

I guess the problems are all gone for now. Great tablet!

UPDATE:

Well gapps force closed again and now I'm back to the same problem...

Managed to get a few apps before it failed.

ANY help.... at all? Suggestions?

Edited by Woshmistro

Guest Woshmistro

I'll just keep posting as a list of events...

Archos support emailed back.

Dear Customer,

We are aware of this problem and we are working on this issue, please try again later.

Archos Technical Support

It's at least something that they are apparently aware of, hopefully it won't take long for a fix, a week may be too hopeful.

Edited by Woshmistro

Guest Woshmistro

Have you tried rolling back to .22 or updating to .46 ROM?

P

I have updated the ROM which is what I suspect was the cause, I'm not sure how I would rollback or where to find it... I'll have a look.

Update: I found how to download the old firmware version and will try it out.

Update 2: I've downgraded to 3.2.22, unfortunately Market still says "Error while processing purchase", but, something I didn't know the archos had started working, the vibrator, which came as a surprise.

Thanks

Edited by Woshmistro

Guest Woshmistro

After allot of messing with drivers, I finally got ADB to work, currently watching logcat to see if it shows anything useful when Market tries to make a purchase...

Anything that would help through adb? Rooting possible yet?

Edited by Woshmistro

Anything that would help through adb? Rooting possible yet?

Paul tweeted late last night that he has managed to root the G9 :)

It sounds like it's been a tough one to root, though, so thanks to him for all his efforts.

No doubt we'll hear from him soon with some more details.

Guest Woshmistro

Android support got back to me.

Hi there,

My name is Ryne and I've been reviewing your case. Thanks for writing in.

I understand that you're receiving an "Error Processing Purchase" message when trying to download any free apps. We're aware of a few users with Archos devices writing in with similar issues. We're presently investigating this issue and working directly with Archos to bring about a resolution as soon as possible. I'll give you an update once I have more information.

Thanks,

Ryne The Android Market Team

They seem to be working on it.

I had a little chat with Paul on twitter last night, the Archos is locked down, but now there's a perma-temproot may be able to loosen it.

I looked at the logcat and it displayed "Unexpected error 500" when I try to purchase something, also it denies the twitter app control of audio, so that shows Archos are really trying to control everything.

Guest DiscoFred78

Hi, do you have a link for the old firmware? I would like to downgrade mine too!

Thanks Neil :)

EDIT:

Are you using a proper gmail account with the device?

Edited by DiscoFred78

Guest Woshmistro

Hi, do you have a link for the old firmware? I would like to downgrade mine too!

Thanks Neil :)

EDIT:

Are you using a proper gmail account with the device?

I am using a proper gmail account, it still works on my ZTE Blade.

Here's the firmware:

Version .22 (original): http://update.archos..._archos_it4.aos

Version .46 (latest): http://update.archos..._archos_it4.aos

The downgrade didn't work for me but the vibrator started working again. I've updated back to version 46 and the vibrate stopped again.

Update:

If you can live without GTalk I'd recommend staying with .22 because on that more hardware actually work such as vibrate and actually be able to mount USB drives in the 3G slot.

Edited by Woshmistro

Guest Woshmistro

I decided to try an buy an app to see if that would work and force a fix. The purchase did go through and the app did download and the transaction showed up on the market website but the Archos didn't and free apps still wont process.

This is really odd that some have this problem and others do not.

Guest Woshmistro

I am having bad flash performance just watching a video on YouTube, iPlayer, 4OD and others video streamers in the stock browser, after a while they lag or blur and the browser closes suddenly, or what just happened to me now the Archos crashes completely and restarts.

Looking through adb at logcat it reports it has ran out of memory almost immediately after starting the video.

I really hope its just a management problem with the ROM/Firmware which can be fixed with an update.

Guest DiscoFred78

That was my thread on archosfans :).

I am still having the market problems, but got round it with the fix. Downloading free apps I use the new v3 Market, if I want to buy an app the original one still works.

I got a second G9 80 for my parents and this is doing the same thing.

I also have a Advent Vega running VegaComb and this is doing exactly the same thing.

:)

Guest Woshmistro

That was my thread on archosfans :).

I am still having the market problems, but got round it with the fix. Downloading free apps I use the new v3 Market, if I want to buy an app the original one still works.

I got a second G9 80 for my parents and this is doing the same thing.

I also have a Advent Vega running VegaComb and this is doing exactly the same thing.

:)

Oh yea it is you, ha!

I've tried the same market but it only worked for one session, when I came back to it later, it force closes when I try to download again.

If it's happening on the Vega, does a new/different ROM not fix it?

I've emailed Archos, explaining the other problems with their latest firmware, asked for the progress of their fix and suggested to unlock the system saying I'd prefer voiding warranty than returning the tablet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest LeanneP

Have you tried just downgrading the market? As in un-installing the latest update for the market, then letting it re-update itself? Could be a bad install. There's an option to do it under the application management section.

Guest Woshmistro

Have you tried just downgrading the market? As in un-installing the latest update for the market, then letting it re-update itself? Could be a bad install. There's an option to do it under the application management section.

The problem is over now since one of the later firmware updates, Market is working fine and properly linked to the Market site.

But I'm still having problems with flash, it's an incredibly frustrating problem. It all seems working fine then suddenly either the browser closes suddenly or the tablet freezes and I have to force turn off by holding the power button.

I really hope that maybe the Android v4 (Ice Cream Sandwich) update would fix it. Or maybe...ROMs? Has someone found a way to install/alter ROMs and make the system properly stable?