Why is it so difficult to buy a OSF charger?

Guest james1986

Guest james1986

I have now purchased two replacement usb cables from evilbay and both will not charge my OSF as quickly as the original ZTE charger that came with the phone. The 3rd party chargers take hours(>12) to charge and will not charge beyond 75%.

Can anyone reccomend a usb cable that is the same spec as that of the ZTE charger.

Replies appreciated.

JP

Guest t0mm13b

No difference to usb cable - as long as its micro usb on one end and the other, standard usb. Can easily be got in any good electronics store outlet :)

Guest james1986

No difference to usb cable - as long as its micro usb on one end and the other, standard usb. Can easily be got in any good electronics store outlet :)

Turns out its not so easy - the chargers I have bought from any good electronics store outlet do cannot charge the phone to 100%.

James

Guest james1986

what amp is the charger (not the usb cable) rated at?

this is what affects charge time......

The comparisons were made charging from my laptop USB socket to the phone.

I use my Blackberry charger, works just as well as the originally supplied one

Thanks, maybe I should look out for a blackberry charger.

Guest lazyliam

charging from laptop is always slower i think theres threads mentioning you can change charge through laptop are something but well were on subject my mums pulse mini charger takes longer but i think it could be 4.1 volts rather than 5

A USB cable is standardised, it either works or it doesn't. Unless your USB cable is ridiculously long (10 meter+), there is no difference.

You will get slower charging when connected to a USB port because the USB 2.0 spec only allows 500 mAh at maximum, per host. It's mostly likely that for multiple USB ports on your laptop there is only 1 host controller powering them, meaning that 500mAh is split between all your USB ports.

Chargers that plug into the wall socket aren't really "USB chargers" - they're just normal chargers, that use a USB cable and the USB socket on the phone to charge though. Almost universally these all offer around 1,000 mAh, at least twice as much as from USB power.

The cable you choose cannot, by definition, make any difference. USB cables (ignoring USB3) are USB cables.

Guest james1986
A USB cable is standardised, it either works or it doesn't. Unless your USB cable is ridiculously long (10 meter+), there is no difference.

You will get slower charging when connected to a USB port because the USB 2.0 spec only allows 500 mAh at maximum, per host. It's mostly likely that for multiple USB ports on your laptop there is only 1 host controller powering them, meaning that 500mAh is split between all your USB ports.

Chargers that plug into the wall socket aren't really "USB chargers" - they're just normal chargers, that use a USB cable and the USB socket on the phone to charge though. Almost universally these all offer around 1,000 mAh, at least twice as much as from USB power.

The cable you choose cannot, by definition, make any difference. USB cables (ignoring USB3) are USB cables.

I have the same problem if i plug into a 230V socket. Using the original usb cable that came with the phone and I am charged in a couple of hours. If I use a 3rd party cable it will take much longer and will not charge beyond 75%. I would love to have a 2nd charger to leave at work but of the 4 I have tried I have the same problems.

I have the same problem if i plug into a 230V socket. Using the original usb cable that came with the phone and I am charged in a couple of hours. If I use a 3rd party cable it will take much longer and will not charge beyond 75%. I would love to have a 2nd charger to leave at work but of the 4 I have tried I have the same problems.

To explein everything:

1) Cable doesn`t matter, one side USB, other side MicroUSB, thats fine.

2) Chargers, there it`s getting complicated. Blade factory charger, as well as Samsungs, HTCs chargers have 5V/700mA up to about 1000mA (1A), thats fine for Blade to charge. BUT! If you buy some non-brand charger or some universal kinda chinese one you may get some problems charging. Why? Becouse there is ONE BIG diference between them! It`s all about USB part in chargers. As you may know USB has 4 signals (connectors) inside:

1. 5V +

2. Data +

3. Data -

4. GND

On original branded chargers signals no 2 and 3 are conected together only, sending no signal and thanks to that phone knows it is connected to charger and it should not expect usb connectivity, just power.

On chineese, non branded chargers, manufacturers try to make it as universal as possible, so they connect connectors no 2 and 3 to power 5V+ and GND through some resistors. When connected, phone can go crazy, it`s getting some weird signals, it is expecting usb connection, it is not getting any, then it can go off, reset, or hang, slow charging, brake, etc.

I`m in electronics department, I`m selling those chargers, so I don`t recommend using non branded chargers, it can really break your phones. Use those branded, maybe more expensive, but designed for phones, cos manufacturers know how to make proper chargers.

Just make sure it has 5V and at least 700mA (current), You may use stronger one, for example 1000mA, but always make sure it has 5V (volts)

Never use weaker ones, ex 5V/500mA or 5V/300mA. The smallest problem you will get using those, will be uncharged phone, or you will brake the charger.

You may freely use charger from other phone manufacturer to charge, ex HTC, Samsung, BB.

Hope that helps?

Guest james1986

To explein everything:

2) Chargers, there it`s getting complicated. Blade factory charger, as well as Samsungs, HTCs chargers have 5V/700mA up to about 1000mA (1A), thats fine for Blade to charge. BUT! If you buy some non-brand charger or some universal kinda chinese one you may get some problems charging. Why? Becouse there is ONE BIG diference between them! It`s all about USB part in chargers. As you may know USB has 4 signals (connectors) inside:

1. 5V +

2. Data +

3. Data -

4. GND

On original branded chargers signals no 2 and 3 are conected together only, sending no signal and thanks to that phone knows it is connected to charger and it should not expect usb connectivity, just power.

On chineese, non branded chargers, manufacturers try to make it as universal as possible, so they connect connectors no 2 and 3 to power 5V+ and GND through some resistors. When connected, phone can go crazy, it`s getting some weird signals, it is expecting usb connection, it is not getting any, then it can go off, reset, or hang, slow charging, brake, etc.

I`m in electronics department, I`m selling those chargers, so I don`t recommend using non branded chargers, it can really break your phones. Use those branded, maybe more expensive, but designed for phones, cos manufacturers know how to make proper chargers.

Just make sure it has 5V and at least 700mA (current), You may use stronger one, for example 1000mA, but always make sure it has 5V (volts)

Never use weaker ones, ex 5V/500mA or 5V/300mA. The smallest problem you will get using those, will be uncharged phone, or you will brake the charger.

You may freely use charger from other phone manufacturer to charge, ex HTC, Samsung, BB.

Hope that helps?

Yeah thats really useful thanks.

My problem is that I have many USB to MicroUSB cables lying around and I dont see why they shouldn't work if Im using the same charger (weather that be a AC wall to usb adaptor, laptop usb or computer usb) but a different cable. I thought the cables were all the same and the charger is what matters?

Anyway, im going to try and hunt down a genuine HTC/Blackberry charger and see if it charges the same as the standard one.

JP

To explein everything:

1. 5V +

2. Data +

3. Data -

4. GND

Hope that helps?

Useful information. Thanks! :)

Yeah thats really useful thanks.

My problem is that I have many USB to MicroUSB cables lying around and I dont see why they shouldn't work if Im using the same charger (weather that be a AC wall to usb adaptor, laptop usb or computer usb) but a different cable. I thought the cables were all the same and the charger is what matters?

Anyway, im going to try and hunt down a genuine HTC/Blackberry charger and see if it charges the same as the standard one.

JP

That`s what it supose to be, cable=cable, but it looks like it is not. Make sure those are not damaged or bad quality.

Guest unrandomsam

Turns out its not so easy - the chargers I have bought from any good electronics store outlet do cannot charge the phone to 100%.

James

I am certain that there are differences.

e.g usb3 hdd - works with kindle usb cable but not with generic no name one.

kindle never charges with the same generic cable (to the point where the light goes green anyway).

Both cables work totally fine for e.g connecting the blade to the computer.

A kindle charger and cable will work 100% but they are very overpriced by amazon.

I have also experienced this problem. A bought a couple of cheap microusb cables from ebay and they charge the phone much more slowly than the cable that came with the phone using the original charger.

After a bit of reading on the internet it seems to be that the really cheap cables are made of thinner wire with a higher resistance. This causes a larger than normal voltage drop in the cable when charging and so the phone sees a lower voltage causing it to charge more slowly.

These cheap cables work fine for data transfer though.

Once I discovered this I got a refund for the "faulty" cables and found one that looked a little thicker on ebay which works fine.

Guest watrill

I use Samsung Galaxy Tab charger and it works fine (they can be had for less than 3GBP on ebay). Most of the smartphone / tablet usb chargers will work fine, they just need to have the D+ and D- connected in the charger (otherwise you'll need to modify the usb cable) and enough amps (0.7A should be enough). Just make sure it's HTC or other smartphone manufacturer OEM charger and you can't go wrong.