24 Oct Gr8 WIP (KJ2): MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S II with Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Just a heads up (in the interests of transparency!) that i'm finishing up a few bits on my Optimus 2X Gingerbread ROM then this one will be my top priority. The 2X one should be done today. :)

Been running Gr7 over the weekend, no issues whatsoever...

Oh, and a reminder that for a limited time, you can upgrade to MoDaCo Ad Free / Kitchen access for only $9 - details! :)

P

Guest zenkinz

I also got the Polaris office problem. Also, I noticed the Email now do not have out-of-office setting? Is it because you have chosen the stock Android email app instead of Samsung one?

Guest declanc

I don't get a Phone FC, nor Samsung messaging... anyone else?

P

I got a FC on acore once when I had it just installed, but it has'nt been back since.

No other issues to report

Guest owencutajar

Just wanted to give some feedback.

Been running the Oct 13th prebake all weekend and really please with it. Haven't come across any FCs or anything that's not working.

The only issue I had was the initial flash where I tried to apply the update without a wipe. I cleared caches and applied but the phone seemed to go into a bootloop (or just stuck on boot with the animation repeating over and over). Once I wiped it all seemed fine.

Battery's lasting twice as long as it was before, but I suspect that's more due to the fact that the wipe has cleared out all the crud I had installed on it :)

Pleased enough with it not to return to my backup ;)

Cheers Paul!

Guest owencutajar

Re: Cerebus - http://www.cerberusapp.com

I've not used it, is it good?

P

Yeah, it's pretty awesome. Let's you lock/wipe the phone if it gets stolen, take photos remotely, trace it remotely and do things like take a snapshot with the front-facing camera if the unlock code is wrong.

It's free for a week, then has a one-time cost of around £2 (other similar apps have a monthly charge)

Not sure what your policy for including commercial apps is, but if it were part of the ROM it could survive a factory reset, which would be really cool ;)

Owen

p.s. I guess it's a bit like a home grown/cheap version of WaveSecure

Edited by owencutajar

Guest kayceejayh

I do find that WaveSecure or Cerebus aren't really needed because you can track your phone and do all that kinda stuff www.samsungdive.com If you've signed in with a Samsung account on your phone.

K

Guest zzleezz

Just a heads up (in the interests of transparency!) that i'm finishing up a few bits on my Optimus 2X Gingerbread ROM then this one will be my top priority. The 2X one should be done today. :)

Been running Gr7 over the weekend, no issues whatsoever...

Oh, and a reminder that for a limited time, you can upgrade to MoDaCo Ad Free / Kitchen access for only $9 - details! :)

P

Not really wanting to pay less, ill wait till my sub is due and pay the full amount. Happy to keep donating, on my third device supported by your development so £10 a year seems pretty cheap to me :)

Guest hanelyco

Hi, have FC problems with any Gmail widget I try to add to my homescreen. This may be not be a ROM issue, but rather a permissions issue with Gmail. Can anyone else confirm this?

Guest Androidlover287

Yes, good idea, i'll definitely work on that!

re: USB host support, it should work... I don't have a dongle to test however! I'll add in the stock kernel / CF-Root so you can test...

P

USB hosting does work on GR7....how ever for me atleast it doesn't say 'USB host connected'

which may confuse some people, they may think their cables are faulty, They are NOT (Hopefully0

If i connect a usb device to my host cable it doesn't say 'USB device connected' either

Just thought i'd make you aware Paul.

Androidlover287,

Guest mynameisjon

I see that com.sec.android.providers.logsprovider is shown as uninstalled in Titanium backup, even though logsprovider.apk is in my system.apk folder.

Is there any way I can manually point the system to logsprovider.apk? reflashing the rom does not fix this. I have redownloaded twice.

everytime I try a full wipe to install, I get FCs on Settings.apk when I try to get into about phone, so wiping doesn't work.

EDIT: Fixed it. Had to restore from Gr5, backup logsprovider and restore in Gr7. For some reason flashing Gr7 seems to throw logsprovider's link in the system off.

Was wondering if there was any way to diagnose what's happening here. Any ideas paul?

Edited by mynameisjon

Guest Junior Bear

I would love the lock button to work as the camera button when in the camera app. having to touch the screen to take a photo is sometimes awkward!

anything you can do?

and also, is there any way you can add a 'reboot' and a 'boot into clockwork' buttons in the power menu please?

many thanks Paul, good work on this Rom!

Hi Paul,

Would it be possible to add the option in the kitchen to replace the sgs lockscreen with the google standard lockscreen?

I owned a o2x and always used that option from your kitchens.

Many thanks

Guest zzleezz

Hi Paul,

Would it be possible to add the option in the kitchen to replace the sgs lockscreen with the google standard lockscreen?

I owned a o2x and always used that option from your kitchens.

Many thanks

+1 for this, the sgs lockscreen is very clunky feeling. I have installed widgetlocker pro twice now and disabled it both times as the sgs lockscreen still keeps on popping up at random which spoils the widgetlocker experience.

Guest mynameisjon

Just read it... I don't see a crash in that log?

P

gah.. that's odd.. i saved the log as soon as it crashed...

the thing is i've fixed it, and found the problem. LogsProvider's link withint the system seems to be broken upon flashing Gr7. So even though the apk is in system/apps, android doesn't see it. I have to manually back up in titanium and restore after flashing.

by the way, an interesting read for battery life management

Edited by mynameisjon

Guest Junior Bear

the thing is i've fixed it, and found the problem. LogsProvider's link withint the system seems to be broken upon flashing Gr7. So even though the apk is in system/apps, android doesn't see it. I have to manually back up in titanium and restore after flashing.

that link is interesting. but I don't understand how you implement it into the Rom. or is it an app? confused. but if it could be implemented to a rom would be amazing!

Strange, i'll keep an eye on that.

That kernel tweak looks great, i'll read more into it!

P

Guest hanelyco

that link is interesting. but I don't understand how you implement it into the Rom. or is it an app? confused. but if it could be implemented to a rom would be amazing!

So whats causing the battery loss (about 60% over 3.5 hours) is that the phone is set to idle instead of a deep-idle/stop mode when the wifi is turned on? This would explain the big change in battery consumption, I cant imagine that its just down to having the wifi radio turned on.

Guest mynameisjon

So whats causing the battery loss (about 60% over 3.5 hours) is that the phone is set to idle instead of a deep-idle/stop mode when the wifi is turned on? This would explain the big change in battery consumption, I cant imagine that its just down to having the wifi radio turned on.

actually i believe it's more than just wifi. it's the CPU drawing more power than it needs.

Going to flash the next update, the wifi battery drain meant that I couldnt update apps overnight or listen to iPlayer Podcasts because I'd fall asleep with the Wifi still on! Was going to make a tasker profile to cover these but it was too much of a mission.Looking forward to some exciting new features :) with a 1-0 win hopefully Paul will be in a good and productive mood ;)

Guest Junior Bear

if you have a problem with leaving wifi on etc. get juice defender. you can set it up to turn certain things off at certain times of the day. or set it to turn wifi off when screen is off etc

Edited by Junior Bear

I use juice defender, but I have wifi on when I go to sleep to dl new apps and listen to BBC iPlayer. My phone basically does not charge when wifi is on (energy added by charger = energy drained by system+wifi) so I swapped roms. Otherwise it was really great.