V20L 'Official Gingerbread Update' for the P990 / LG Optimus 2X (finally) released

Guest PaulOBrien

LG have finally officially released software version V20L for the P990 / LG Optimus 2X!

The KDZ (raw update) has already been found on the LG servers in this post by MoDaCo member 'ezangrando'... although the KDZ flashing process is definitely not for the faint hearted... stay tuned for a more 'user friendly' update coming soon.

I'm flashing it now and will report back my findings. Share your thoughts below! :)

Posted Image

This item was promoted to the News page - click here to view.

Guest ezangrando

If anyone has problems with kdz updater use virtualbox with win xp. Thats what I did at least.

Using latest drivers (3.4) and booting Windows 7 disabling drivers sign check should work too =)

Guest hackworks

I still prefer the kitchen instead of flashing official ROM, flashing recovery and rooting.wish LG just have you the binaries for release through your kitchen instead of cumbersome lg update.

Guest Tsaglis

OK, have V20L on my device now. Dumping it ready for MCR'ing, i'll post a stock (rooted) update zip too.

P

Thanks! I am waiting for you magic!

Do you see any noticeable improvements over the previous leaked versions? Probably it is too early for that....

A

Guest ezangrando

Gr5 with this kernel source can be rock stable am I right? B)

I hope but hardly. LG has prove many time the total incompetence of his developers... Google provide a great system, nvidia a great HW and with all of this they have completely FAILED with this phone. Usually i change phone once a year but in 7months i'm at point of throw it away... Thx to paul we have a decent phone but with bloody tears and a lot of patience for many bugs and problem of any kind... LG has the guinnes world record for first dual core phone in the world, they should add to it the best Failure with best HW too... Anyway another couple of week and Google's Nexus will come to save us with similar HW but with a real android System not this CRAP..

Probably 20L is almost the same of 20j... they simply give up with it...

Edited by ezangrando

Guest Ferni Elche

I hope but hardly. LG has prove many time the total incompetence of his developers... Google provide a great system, nvidia a great HW and with all of this they have completely FAILED with this phone. Usually i change phone once a year but in 7months i'm at point of throw it away... Thx to paul we have a decent phone but with bloody tears and a lot of patience for many bugs and problem of any kind... LG has the guinnes world record for first dual core phone in the world, they should add to it the best Failure with best HW too... Anyway another couple of week and Google's Nexus will come to save us with similar HW but with a real android System not this CRAP..

Probably 20L is almost the same of 20j... they simply give up with it...

Come On, give them a try. I have to admit that the BSOD was a very uggly error, but it wasn't on newer versions. I personally think they have learned from their errors, and payd for them with red numbers in its mobile business. I'm sure LG has the willing and neccesary tools to do things right and has done his homework correctly. Let's see.

Guest ezangrando

Come On, give them a try. I have to admit that the BSOD was a very uggly error, but it wasn't on newer versions. I personally think they have learned from their errors, and payd for them with red numbers in its mobile business. I'm sure LG has the willing and neccesary tools to do things right and has done his homework correctly. Let's see.

Probably yes but they need a new developers team... this one sucks. There are a lot of problem and the most annoing for me is the random hang up of the network... i stil have this problem with any gingerbread mod... too many time i've lost playing MMORPG in tethering... And is not just a matter of bugs... is a matter of performance too... such a great HW doesn't perform so much better than my old Nexus One, i see many new phone faster than this... they still use old kernel and old nvidia drivers and modules... they loose time with stupid and unuseful customization like the horrible launcher... and the worst thing is the huge delay for update a crappy system... ICS is near, a matter of week and just now we have GR... this is my 3rd android phone, the first one was myTouch3g (aka Magic) and the second was Nexus One and i MUST say that this phone is the most power ( HW aside ) but the worst of 3. Just one company as i see is working good as Google Experience, ASUS. Is fast to release update( far better than LG one on quality too), better Materials, Better components and no personalization. Padphone is a good choice for the future but i don't want to wait or risk to have LG chapter 2 so i'll go back to google experience, the REAL android.

ps forgot the battery life =)

Edited by ezangrando

Guest Trym Hansen

They've learned nothing. All the bugs present in 20j are here in 20l.

1) E-mail app doesn't delete properly from ActiveSync server.

2) USB-icon disappears when activating USB-storage. (This worked in 20c!)

3) Application manager lists all your apps on /data as installed on SD-card, with a useless checkmark next to the titles (which you cannot click or select.)

4) Used country-code instead of language-code for Norwegian (and I suspect more languages).

5) On screen phone stops working about an hour after boot.

All they've done is take their existing source-code tree, including all bugs, merged it with GB and added localized keybards. They've not tried to fix a single bug, but introduced a few more instead.

Don't get me wrong, GB is in itself a worthy upgrade, but LG is still useless when it comes to software.

Edited by Trym Hansen

Guest mankian

thats a real shame. i thought after the long wait we'd get something worth waiting for! looks like i'll be sticking with CM then, especially now Paul as a nightlies kitchen!

Trym I am guessing this is from your actual experience with 20L and not just something you read?

Guest Trym Hansen

Trym I am guessing this is from your actual experience with 20L and not just something you read?

Of course. Installed 20L some hours ago. Another very strange thing is that although they've made a new lock-screen, which is both prettier and smoother, it's not enabled by default. Which seems to me like this version wasn't intended for release either, but that someone at the top just said "Do it! Now!".

Edited by Trym Hansen

Guest SuperSkill

OK, have V20L on my device now. Dumping it ready for MCR'ing, i'll post a stock (rooted) update zip too.

P

Hi.

Looking forward to this release, what should we do without your work :rolleyes: keep on making us happy, will support your work for as long as I have a job or other income ;) thanks again.

Are you intending to release a updated kitchen with this release??

3) Application manager lists all your apps on /data as installed on SD-card, with a useless checkmark next to the titles (which you cannot click or select.)

That's just how Gingerbread works, you can complain about it, but it's not a bug or LG's fault.

In my experience, Gingerbread also fails at deleting things properly, so again, it's probably not LG's fault. I often delete something, then instantly get a new mail notification, which is an unread copy appearing in the bin.

Edited by Rusty!

Hi.

Looking forward to this release, what should we do without your work :rolleyes: keep on making us happy, will support your work for as long as I have a job or other income ;) thanks again.

Are you intending to release a updated kitchen with this release??

Yes, Gr5 will be kitchened etc. and V20l based.

P

Guest Trym Hansen

That's just how Gingerbread works, you can complain about it, but it's not a bug or LG's fault.

In my experience, Gingerbread also fails at deleting things properly, so again, it's probably not LG's fault. I often delete something, then instantly get a new mail notification, which is an unread copy appearing in the bin.

Really? Including the useless checkmark?

Funny you say that about e-mail, because I always install the email-app from CM7, and it works perfectly. No trouble with deletions there. (There was a known bug in the AOSP 2.1 e-mail, which I think LGs e-mail app is based on. A bugfix was released by google, but not taken up by LG.)

Really? Including the useless checkmark?

For me the checkmark shows whether or not the app is on the SD card, so it's not completely useless.

You can only move the app to the SD card by using the "Move to SD card" button in the app's details, but at least trying to toggle the check mark takes you there.

Guest Trym Hansen

For me the checkmark shows whether or not the app is on the SD card, so it's not completely useless.

You can only move the app to the SD card by using the "Move to SD card" button in the app's details, but at least trying to toggle the check mark takes you there.

Ah, ok, that makes some kind of sense then. Ok, agreed, that was a user-bug, not LGs.