MoDaCo is undergoing planned maintenance. Site functionality may be reduced - follow @modaco or @paulobrien on Twitter for updates.

• Announcements

• Reminder - MoDaCo position on illegal content

ILLEGAL CONTENT I'd like to just reaffirm MoDaCo's position regarding piracy and illegal content in the light of some recent questions / postings. Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if the contain or link to: Illegal / pirated / cracked software or sites that host such software
      Nintendo emulators / ROMs or sites hosting them (in light of Nintendo's legal stance)

CUSTOM ROMS

You may discuss and post links to custom device ROMs on MoDaCo, provided the following rules are adhered to: ROMs must not be hosted directly in topic via the MoDaCo attachment system
      ROMs must not contain any illegal 3rd party software (this includes trial versions included without permission)
      ROMs must give full credit to the original author
      This decision has been taken in light of the huge amount of interest in this area of device customisation within the community, and member feedback! Please note that custom ROM discussion should be kept in specific device sub-areas, (e.g. Kaiser.MoDaCo.com for Kaiser based devices). ISSUES If you have any issues with this policy, please contact me directly via PM. P
    • Support MoDaCo by signing up to a MoDaCo Silver or Gold membership

To sign up to an annual MoDaCo Silver subscription which will eliminate all ads from the site (as well as giving you access to the MoDaCo Online Kitchens for Android) for only £9.99 using PayPal, Credit or Debit Card, ensure you are logged in to the site, and then click the link below, which will take you directly to the subscription store! You can also sign up to an annual MoDaCo Gold subscription for £29.99, which adds the benefits listed below! PURCHASE A MODACO SUBSCRIPTION - FREE Titanium Backup Mobile for Android worth $5.99! - FREE 1 year PrivateInternetAccess.com worth $39.95! - FREE 1 year LastPass Premium worth $12! - FREE CalcConvert for Pocket PC from Binaryfish worth $17.95! - FREE Calendar Bar for Pocket PC from OmegaOne worth $9.99! - FREE CamerAware for Pocket PC and Smartphone from MoDaCo worth £19.99 / $30! - FREE Chronos for Pocket PC from ActiveKitten worth $14.95! - FREE CodeWallet Pro for Smartphone and Pocket PC from DeveloperOne worth up to $24.95! - FREE Concentrix for Pocket PC from eSoft Interactive worth $9.95! - FREE FlexMail for Pocket PC and Smartphone from WebIS worth up to $59.90! - FREE FTouchSL for Pocket PC from Vekoff s.r.o. worth 10 euro / $12.50! - FREE Jewel Challenge for Pocket PC from eSoft Interactive worth $9.95! - FREE John Cody's Alerts Pro for Smartphone from Omnisoft worth $14.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary 2008 English <-> Dutch for Pocket PC from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary 2008 English <-> French for Pocket PC from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary 2008 English <-> German for Pocket PC from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary 2008 English <-> Italian for Pocket PC from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary 2008 English <-> Spanish for Pocket PC from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Dictionary English <-> Dutch for Smartphone from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Dictionary English <-> French for Smartphone from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Dictionary English <-> German for Smartphone from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Dictionary English <-> Russian for Smartphone from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Dictionary English <-> Turkish for Smartphone from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE Note2Self for Pocket PC and Smartphone from WebIS worth up to $19.90! - FREE Opera 8.60 for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Opera Software worth up to $48! - FREE Pocket Informant for Pocket PC and Smartphone from WebIS worth up to $59.90! - FREE Pocket Launcher for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Conduits worth $9.95! - FREE PTab for Pocket PC and Smartphone from z4soft worth up to $60! - FREE Resco Explorer for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Resco worth up to $49.90! - FREE Safemode for Pocket PC from monocube worth $12.95 - FREE SplashPhoto for Pocket PC and Smartphone from SplashData worth up to $59.90! - FREE Sprite Backup for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Sprite Software worth $29.95! - FREE Teksoft Glyphs UI for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Teksoft €9.95! - FREE Teksoft HeadsetRemote for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Teksoft €4.95! - FREE Traffic Jam for Pocket PC from eSoft Interactive worth $9.95! - FREE unlock (1 per year) from imei-check.co.uk - DISCOUNT of 10% at MoDaCo FairDeal - DISCOUNT of 10% at Semsons.com - FORUM - AD FREE SITE - FORUM - custom rank / title - FORUM - double competition entries - FORUM - double post attachment space - FORUM - no search flood control - FORUM - priority event registration - FORUM - triple PM space
    • Reminder: Selling items on the forum directly is not allowed

Please note that selling items on the forum directly is not allowed by the forum rules. There is a forum for eBay auctions whereby you can list the items on eBay and link to them there. This is the ONLY forum for this type of activity. You may also advertise links to the eBay forum in your signature. Please note that selling directly in contravention of these rules will result in a warning / suspensions / ban.

Superboot - Galaxy Nexus root solution

101 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Introducing.... Superboot! :)

Superboot is a boot.img that when booted, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash any partitions, no need to mess around with ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just boot the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!

APPLY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

• Superboot r5 - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: 510c4a0c5a62407550abc5e028c6fd82

How to use Superboot - Windows, Linux and OSX

- Download the Superboot zip file above and extract to a directory

- Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then turn on with the 'volume up' and 'volume down' buttons both pressed to enter the bootloader (as pictured below)

- WINDOWS - double click 'superboot-windows.bat'

- MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x superboot-mac.sh' followed by './superboot-mac.sh'

- LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x superboot-linux.sh' followed by './superboot-linux.sh'

Note: If you are using a retail device, you may need to unlock the bootloader first, using './fastboot-windows oem unlock' (or the appropriate version for your machine, included in this zip). Note that the OEM unlock sequence wipes your device, so consider doing an 'adb backup' beforehand if required!

Enjoy! :)

P

PS If you find this useful, please consider supporting MoDaCo by signing up for a MoDaCo subscription! Visit this topic for further details!

galaxynexusfastboot.png

Posted · Report post

Dont you mean 03 Nov r1 instead of 03 Oct r1? :P

Posted · Report post

Me gusta.

Posted · Report post

Note: If you are using a retail Galaxy Nexus
I wish! How did you get one so early?

Posted · Report post

For real, this is badass. I wanna get one early :( I'm in the USA and I'm debating importing one from UK or Europe somewhere because I doubt the GSM version will be out here anytime soon

Posted · Report post

oh I hope this comes to T-Mobile. I am holding out until it does!

Posted · Report post

Hi Paul. Is it possible for you to upload a system dump from Galaxy Nexus? Trying to port ICS SDK to Galaxy S 2 is proving to be very challenging...

Posted · Report post

/me really jealous now...

WTB Samsung Galaxy Nexus mad.gif

Posted · Report post

I think the md5 of the first post is incorrect. I've downloaded it twice and it doesn't match:

Size: 5.938.851 bytes

MD5: 1FC270EB2BC67FE81E800DDA4C5A37C6

Can you confirm it Paul?

Posted · Report post

Since the superboot image is a modified GSM Galaxy Nexus image, am I correct to assume that this won't work on the LTE Galaxy Nexus?

Posted · Report post

Hi Paul. Is it possible for you to upload a system dump from Galaxy Nexus? Trying to port ICS SDK to Galaxy S 2 is proving to be very challenging...

Yes, please! Upload a system dump for us! :D

Posted · Report post

Can we have a review of the phone? I know you don't like large phones so I'm really curious how you feel about Galaxy Nexus.

TIA

Posted · Report post

Tried via your instructions above - hangs on boot screen (Google with unlocked padlock) - bootloader was unlocked. Tried via script on mac was able to reboot by pulling battery and when completed boot no superuser. When I tried via manual fastboot-mac flash boot etc, same thing but this time would not reboot ... so had to manually push the original boot. ... mmm no luck so far

Posted · Report post

Retail device or developer device?

When my device arrives I can check whether something changed for retail...?

P

Posted · Report post

paul ive got a alaxy nexus signing engineering device so i guess it is a developer device, ive tried to flash an ICS build compiled from source failed and now im stuck on Google Logo I can only go to recovery and bootloader any thoughts?

P

Posted · Report post

P

Well, I have the *latest* build and the final hardware version with retail keys ... so in essence its retail version. Anything I should look at my version of boot.img?

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have the phone unlocked, but when I run the windows superboot installer, on rebooting, I don't have root, I don't have superuser installed? :(

I've manually installed Superuser, but that and busybox say I don't have the su binary installed.

Edited by AndyCr15

Posted · Report post

I'm in the same boat as Andy, I run the fastboot-windows.exe boot boot.superboot.img command after unlocking and it just hung on the Google boot screen :(

Posted · Report post

Spences actually when hanging at google logo you have full root adb access so you can push the stuff you need

Posted · Report post

Okay, so what do you push and then do what? Please give actual commands if you can please :)

TO confirm, this will only have root until you reboot, right?

Posted · Report post

Yep wondering do you have the retail galaxy nexus?

Atm dont have the commands but my guess would be adb push su and adb push superusrr.apk superuserapk goes to system and su binary mmmm in system /bin i guess

I had a guide to manually root if i can find it i will post it

Posted · Report post

Okay, thanks. Yeah, me and Scott have retail.

I would need the actual su binary too I guess, so any guide on where to find and what to do would be cool. Thanks.

Posted · Report post

No one else having this problem? Or maybe no-one else has the phone yet?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Tried this on an O2 retail Galaxy Nexus. Also not working for me.

Reboots fine but no Superuser and no root.

Edited by AshtonBRSC