• Announcements

• Reminder - MoDaCo position on illegal content   07/30/15

ILLEGAL CONTENT I'd like to just reaffirm MoDaCo's position regarding piracy and illegal content in the light of some recent questions / postings. Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if the contain or link to: Illegal / pirated / cracked software or sites that host such softwareNintendo emulators / ROMs or sites hosting them (in light of Nintendo's legal stance)CUSTOM ROMS You may discuss and post links to custom device ROMs on MoDaCo, provided the following rules are adhered to: ROMs must not contain any illegal 3rd party software (this includes trial versions included without permission)ROMs must give full credit to the original authorISSUES If you have any issues with this policy, please contact PaulOBrien directly via PM.
    • Reminder: Selling items on the forum directly is not allowed   07/30/15

Please note that selling items on the forum directly is not allowed by the forum rules. There is a forum for eBay auctions whereby you can list the items on eBay and link to them there. This is the ONLY forum for this type of activity. You may also advertise links to the eBay forum in your signature. Please note that selling directly in contravention of these rules will result in a warning / suspension / ban.

Superboot - Galaxy Nexus root solution

101 posts in this topic

Posted

Uploading r2 for retail units now.

P

Posted

r2 online with retail device support.

P

Posted

Thanks for R2, i can confirm it is working on my device, whereas R1 was not ;)

Posted

r2 online with retail device support.

P

Can confirm R2 works. After reboot, hung on Google screen. Waited a minute, pulled battery, restarted and SU + Busybox installed + working. Root access granted!

Thanks Paul! Great work

Posted

You pulled the battery and rebooted and it was there? Is this a perm root now?

Posted

Okay, it seems to have worked, but when I try and restore an app in TB it seems to get stuck. Likewise when I tried a cache cleaner.

Is it just me with issues?

Posted

You pulled the battery and rebooted and it was there? Is this a perm root now?

Yes, pulled battery after a minute or two as I wasn't sure .... put battery back in and restarted. Superuser was installed, ran check through SU to make sure latest/root granted etc and it was. Then installed Root Explorer - could access system/app and data/app which you can't do unless you have root (only problem is Root Explorer needs a new release, due to the way that ICS manages apps menus now being hard aligned to right - therefore off the GN screen, should be easy for developer to do though). Then installed Titanium Backup and ROM Manager and all fine.

Posted

Okay, it seems to have worked, but when I try and restore an app in TB it seems to get stuck. Likewise when I tried a cache cleaner.

Is it just me with issues?

Titanium Backup isn't compatible with ICS yet.

P

Posted

Ahh, that might be why then!

Although, rumaging round I don't appear to have the su file still? (having used r2)

Posted

Installed & working on my O2 retail unit today.

Took me a while to get the right drivers installed 1st though so it was recognised!

Posted

Quite a PITA getting the fastboot drivers, I've not had a Samsung device before, installed Kies and rebooted, no help. Ended up following a suggestion on various forums to install PDANet, which installed the drivers fine.

After that, Superboot r2 went in smooth, device rebooted on its own and su working lovely... thanks again Paul :-)

Posted (edited)

I'm not new to Android, but I'm very new to rooting. I just ordered a GSM unlocked Samsung Galaxy Nexus and decided that I want to root it. I would like to be ready to go when it gets here. Will it come with an unlocked bootloader? I'm using a Mac and didn't understand the terminal command to input to unlock the bootloader because it said "windows" in it. Is there something I need to do to unlock the bootloader on my Mac? I really appreciate it. I feel so stupid asking for help on something so simple. :P

Cheers,

Ben

EDIT: Is there currently a way to unroot? Do you recommend rooting? I wouldn't install a custom ROM. I just want to be able to back up and use the device as a USB host and use apps that require root. Is it really "all that"? Much appreciated.

Edited by benblb

Posted

Finally!! Mamoilain is right getting the correct drivers in order is the most difficult bit of this. Paul you might want to add that the easiest way to get the drivers working is to install PDANet in the first post.

After that install went very smoothly. Everything working perfectly now on a UK Retail Sim Free handset. :D

Posted (edited)

Noting that a reboot (power down/power on) does not remove being rooted. Tnx!

Best regards

/Johan

Edited by Johan Rylander

Posted

Do you have a stock boot image to unroot the phone/is that how you would do it?

Had the sleep of death 3 times so far and I want to exchange it but need to put it back to stock.

Thank

Matt

Posted

I ended up using PDAnet for drivers too as nothing else seemed to allow the phone to connect in bootloader. All rooted fine following Paul's methods.

Posted (edited)

I ended up using PDAnet for drivers too as nothing else seemed to allow the phone to connect in bootloader. All rooted fine following Paul's methods.

Do you have a link for the PDAnet drivers, I too am having difficulties in getting to connect my GN in bootloader mode

EDIT

Sorted, Google was my friend, PDAnet for PC was what I needed (I already installed the app on my phone). In my defence it was late at night and I had tried endless number of times before realising PDAnet was available for PC's too.

Edited by masterpfa

Posted

Superboot updated to r3, chmod fix and volumefix kernel used on superboot boot.

If you have superbooted previously, re-doing so with this release is recommended.

P

Posted

Superboot updated to r3, chmod fix and volumefix kernel used on superboot boot.

If you have superbooted previously, re-doing so with this release is recommended.

P

Hi Paul,

Am I doing something wrong. I run the bat on top of my MCR rom on my phone, and now superuser Force Closes all the time?

Posted

Apologies, 'Clear Data' on superuser to resolve.

P

Posted

Apologies, 'Clear Data' on superuser to resolve.

P

No problem :) seemed to fix it.

Posted

May be some stupid questions:

It is recommended to apply rc3.

What are the benefit over rc2?

Do we have to apply it?

Are other fixes included with it or do we have to apply them sepparetely (ie: volume fix, rotation etc....)?

How do we do the "clear data" on superuser?

Again sorry if the questions above are stupid.

Posted

Unlocked the bootloader fine .. now just sitting on 'downloading 'boot.img' ...

What did I miss?

Posted

Reboot bootloader and try again, also check MD5 of the download.

P

Posted (edited)

Reboot bootloader and try again, also check MD5 of the download.

P

ok .. will do thanks :)

edit: Sorted! .. had to re-plug the device several times .. then it worked when I was about to give up :D

Edited by FatherD