Attention - complete noob asking questions...

Guest ivannev

Guest ivannev

Hi everyone, as you've read in the title, i'm a complete noob, but i need answers, so i came to you:)

Found your site through google, while i was looking for some info about my phone software etc...

I bought my LG Optimus P990 2X a month ago, via my operator MTS (Mobilna telefonija Srbije - from Serbia)..

Yesterday I read on the internet that an update of my operating system, from V10 to V20, or as i understood - from Froyo to Gingerbread, was available..

I updated it via computer, LG official update tools etc, and noticed that the phone started using much more memory and that it had slowed down a little bit, the scrolling wasn't as smooth as before, the locking screen isn't as smooth as it was, and the battery drainage had increased...

I use Advanced task manager (autokill on,regular kill on) and Battery defender (disabled all connections, mobile data turned off when not using phone).

My questions are:

1) Is it possible to revert to a version (V10c or 2.2 or whatever) before this recent one (V20 or 2.3 or whatever)?

2) Do you think that this update had an effect on the performance of the phone?

3) Do you think there is any way of improving the performance of the phone?

Thanks alot!

I think that something went wrong. Have you tryed Hard Reset? Maybe it could solve your problem. But dont forget to backup all your data, apps and so ;)

My phone runs smoother on 2.3 than on 2.2

Guest ivannev

So, i just back up my data, apps etc, do a hard reset (which i think is a factory reset, right?), and then update the phone again...or leave it like that?

...If i do a hard reset, will it revert it to the 2.2 version?

Thank you for having the patience for answering these questions, i guess you guys do much more advanced stuff than this... :)

I suggest you try Paul's FR19 release, it's froyo but it's really fast and (almost) everything works as expected.

It's very easy to install it.

Follow this topic http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1327599 ) on xda, only steps 1-3 only. This works regardless of which version yoi have.

Then you have CWM installed. Use the external bat file, a real sd card is required.

Copy the fr19 ZIP from this forum to your sd card.

You can just put the sd card in a reader or use any other way to get it there.

Turn off your phone, hold down volume- and press power. Keep both buttons pressed until you see an LG logo WITH blue lines/halo behind it. This takes about 10 seconds. Release both buttons now.

You're now in CWM recovery. Use volume buttons to navigate, power to select. Choose Wipe/Factory reset and confirm. Choose install update from Zip and select the ZIP you put on the sd card.

Now it installs. This takes a while, when done, select Reboot. First boot takes a while.

It's all really easy and one nice thing about this phone: you can always restore it with NvFlash. Instructions and downloads for original 10b are on this forum.

Edited by vrowdy

@vrowdy

You should add that flashing a custom ROM voids the guarantee of a phone, since OP stated he was complete noob.

@ivannev

Don't use autokillers - they don't help the phone but rather cause apps to constantly get killed and restart which keeps the CPU busy and drains the battery.

When haveing a new OS version the battery percentage sometimes is wrong. Multiple cycles of draining and reloading should sort this out.

This happens because there is a file on the phone which tells the phone when to shut down to avoid deep battery depletion.

The phone corrects this file with every cycle and after a week it should be rather accurate.

So, reloading cycles, autokiller off. I bet after a couple of days you won't have any of your described problems.

So, i just back up my data, apps etc, do a hard reset (which i think is a factory reset, right?), and then update the phone again...or leave it like that?

...If i do a hard reset, will it revert it to the 2.2 version?

No, it stays on latest software u flashed, like if you buy it with 2.3 You will get clean phone running Android 2.3.... And of course i meaned factory reset. (still having winmo terminology in my head :D)

But of course you can try custom rom FR19, GR4 or GR5. But its not that easy and its always on your own risk...

Guest ivannev

Hey guys, sorry i didn't reply sooner, i didn't have time to log on...

Thanks for all the advice tombik, vrowdy and o2mike, but i decided not to flash my phone or something :) , mainly because the guarantee may not be valid anymore, so i will stick to this, thank you again for your efforts to help me..

Reports on the phone: the battery is draining more slowly than the first few days, i have to admit. :)

@o2mike, i have disabled the autokiller, but the apps that now start automatically will still use memory and battery?

How have you solved this?

Edited by ivannev

@o2mike, i have disabled the autokiller, but the apps that now start automatically will still use memory and battery?

How have you solved this?

For apps I don't use like car home or the anti virus, I have uninstalled them using Titanium Backup.

But you need root rights to do so.

Without voiding warranty? I know of no solution.