Want to unlock your OMC / Skate? Tutorial here!

Guest tilal6991

Guest FoxVictor.be

1. Go into “Preparation” folder and run the “install-recovery-windows.bat”. This should flash stock recovery and reboot the phone.
  2. Shut the phone down
  3. Remove your battery and disconnect the USB cable
  4. Now as you connect the phone to your computer press the volume down button. Don’t let go of the volume button until “FTM” comes up on your phone.
  5. You installed QPST in the first step. Now in the Start menu find "Software Download" which was installed by QPST.
  6. Click "Backup" on the utility and choose where to save the "QCN" file
  7. Go into the Unlock folder of the extracted zip file and run “download.exe”
  8. If you are sure you want to unlock press “START”!
  9. Sit through some hairy moments as it flashes itself and unlocks the phone.
  10. Go back to the "Software Download" utility.and click "Restore". Find the .qcn file you saved and restore it.
  11. Remove your USB cable, put the battery back in and any SIM of your choice – your phone is now unlocked!!
  12. Power on the phone and turn on USB Debugging.
  13. OPTIONAL – go to “POST-UNLOCK FOLDER” and run the bat file again – this installs ClockworkMod

Hi all,

Was running CM7, followed the tutorial, but messed up in step 6: I didn't press START in QPST, thought that download.exe would take care of that, as it wasn't explicitly mentionned to press. (I know, should have read on to step 10 before executing step 8).

So, my phone is unlocked, can use it with my Belgian BASE sim while roaming on O2 in Brittain, so that's great. THANK YOU ALL for that.

The remaining problem is now - as expected - that my wifi doesn't work as it's MAC address is now the known 11:22:33:44:55:66.

Since I didn't write down my MAC address, what are my options? I'm open for suggestions ;-)

Greetings!

Hi all,

Was running CM7, followed the tutorial, but messed up in step 6: I didn't press START in QPST, thought that download.exe would take care of that, as it wasn't explicitly mentionned to press. (I know, should have read on to step 10 before executing step 8).

So, my phone is unlocked, can use it with my Belgian BASE sim while roaming on O2 in Brittain, so that's great. THANK YOU ALL for that.

The remaining problem is now - as expected - that my wifi doesn't work as it's MAC address is now the known 11:22:33:44:55:66.

Since I didn't write down my MAC address, what are my options? I'm open for suggestions ;-)

Greetings!

Here you go :)

Guest FoxVictor.be

Thanks, but I read through that thread already.

As far as I understand: Sometimes MAC = BT +1 in HEX but not always. Also, MAC not that important, anything will do really, so should I just follow the BT + 1 rule?

If so, do I have to go back to FTM, or can I stay on CWM to backup/edit/restore with QPST/HxD/QPST?

Thanks, but I read through that thread already.

As far as I understand: Sometimes MAC = BT +1 in HEX but not always. Also, MAC not that important, anything will do really, so should I just follow the BT + 1 rule?

If so, do I have to go back to FTM, or can I stay on CWM to backup/edit/restore with QPST/HxD/QPST?

Forget that BT + 1 "rule".

Get a random MAC Address from here, flash stock recovery(can be found under /files on the FTM Flash Tools folder), get in FTM and backup & edit & restore the *.qcn.

Guest FoxVictor.be

Forget that BT + 1 "rule".

Get a random MAC Address from here, flash stock recovery(can be found under /files on the FTM Flash Tools folder), get in FTM and backup & edit & restore the *.qcn.

So I generated a random MAC Address, flashed stock recovery as instructed in the 'Want to unlock your...' thread. rebooted in FTM, opened QPST. Problem is, QPST cannot find any active port. So no way to do the backup...

So I generated a random MAC Address, flashed stock recovery as instructed in the 'Want to unlock your...' thread. rebooted in FTM, opened QPST. Problem is, QPST cannot find any active port. So no way to do the backup...

2 possible solutions:

- In your notification area(down right) look for an icon that looks like a globe, right-click it and stop server. Reconnect your phone in FTM, open QPST Software Download and it should be Ok now.

- If the above doesn't work, back in your notification area right-click the same icon and open QPST configuration, remove the port listed there and then "Add new port" with your phone connected in FTM. It should list your phone there, add it. Then open QPST Software Download and it should be Ok now.

Guest FoxVictor.be

2 possible solutions:

- In your notification area(down right) look for an icon that looks like a globe, right-click it and stop server. Reconnect your phone in FTM, open QPST Software Download and it should be Ok now.

- If the above doesn't work, back in your notification area right-click the same icon and open QPST configuration, remove the port listed there and then "Add new port" with your phone connected in FTM. It should list your phone there, add it. Then open QPST Software Download and it should be Ok now.

The second one did the trick, and thanks to your link to the MAC Address generator, I have now a fully working unlocked OMC, running CM7 laugh.gif. Thanks for the excellent support D3abl3!

Many thanks to everyone contributing in any way to making people love their OMC! (Clockworkmod, custom CM7, unlock, root, tutorials, support...)

Guest Sean__D

I've managed to follow the steps of the tutorial - had a little trouble identifying a COM port but it seemed to eventually work when I left the battery in. However, although I can now make calls and send texts with my Giffgaff SIM, I can't connect to the web! Are there any other tests I should do to confirm the phone is fully unlocked?

Has anyone got any idea's how to fix the data connection - would this have been because I left the battery in? Or is it a giffgaff configuration setup thing that is unconnected to the unlocking process? Thanks:-)

Edit: I should note that the MAC address was successfully kept, but in the phone status it says unknown number.

Edited by Sean__D

Guest xiaoyaoswim

I've managed to follow the steps of the tutorial - had a little trouble identifying a COM port but it seemed to eventually work when I left the battery in. However, although I can now make calls and send texts with my Giffgaff SIM, I can't connect to the web! Are there any other tests I should do to confirm the phone is fully unlocked?

Has anyone got any idea's how to fix the data connection - would this have been because I left the battery in? Or is it a giffgaff configuration setup thing that is unconnected to the unlocking process? Thanks:-)

Edit: I should note that the MAC address was successfully kept, but in the phone status it says unknown number.

If you are still using Orange stock ROM, you might need to config the APN setting for giffgaff manually.

Guest Sean__D

Yep, I just tried that and it did the trick! :-)

For anyone else using stock ROM, there are instructions at

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Learn-giffgaff-Top-Tips/giffgaffer-s-guide-to-Android/td-p/97392

Thanks for you quick response xiaoyaoswim! I don't know what was included in the backup/restore steps, but all my apps and UI have been reset. Do I need to repeat the root process? Most of my apps were on the SD card, does anyone how to recover them? I'm hoping that if I re-install Link2SD some apps will magically re-appear!!

Guest dibbles

Okey Dokey... I had held off buying the OMC just because it would not be unlocked. Now I see that has been achieved :) So I have one reserved for me to collect at £130. Reading through the instructions it seems that I must remember to back up the QCN file so that it can be later restored. I assume that saves the MAC address...??? Does it matter where it is saved, I assume anywhere on the SD card is fine..?

Is the CWM the same version as the one in another thread - 4.0.1.4 that is installed by the unlocking tools, as an optional install..?

I assume that once it is unlocked would there be a recovery app within the apps drawer that enables me to boot into CWM and do the usual wipes before installing, for example, Bluemonte-skate 1.8.D......?

Thanks for any assurances :)

Okey Dokey... I had held off buying the OMC just because it would not be unlocked. Now I see that has been achieved :) So I have one reserved for me to collect at £130. Reading through the instructions it seems that I must remember to back up the QCN file so that it can be later restored. I assume that saves the MAC address...??? Does it matter where it is saved, I assume anywhere on the SD card is fine..?

Is the CWM the same version as the one in another thread - 4.0.1.4 that is installed by the unlocking tools, as an optional install..?

I assume that once it is unlocked would there be a recovery app within the apps drawer that enables me to boot into CWM and do the usual wipes before installing, for example, Bluemonte-skate 1.8.D......?

Thanks for any assurances :)

1 - Yes, it saves your MAC Address;

2 - Save it on the PC not the Phone;

3 - The recovery you'll get with the unlocking tools is the stock one(same it comes with your phone);

4 - No, you will have a clean ROM directly from ZTE with no CWM nor any other apps.

Why do you need Stock Recovery? So you can get in FTM mode.

On the last step of this tutorial it will install you CWM.

Edited by D3abL3

Guest xiaoyaoswim

Yep, I just tried that and it did the trick! :-)

For anyone else using stock ROM, there are instructions at

http://community.gif...roid/td-p/97392

Thanks for you quick response xiaoyaoswim! I don't know what was included in the backup/restore steps, but all my apps and UI have been reset. Do I need to repeat the root process? Most of my apps were on the SD card, does anyone how to recover them? I'm hoping that if I re-install Link2SD some apps will magically re-appear!!

Those backup/restore steps only reserve some low-level info of your phone (e.g. WLAN MAC address), but not your installed apps etc. If you don't have any nandroid backup or Ti backup, you will need to reinstall everything.

Guest dibbles

A little help please...

I have installed the drivers and the QPST software.

The phone is now in FTM mode and I see this in the device manager...

1321603280.jpg

...however when running the QPST software it will not find the port...

1321573880.jpg

browsing for a port shows an empty list.

So I have the phone with the battery out and in FTM mode connected to the PC but I'm a bit stuck in backing up the file needed.

Any help please..?

EDIT :

Resolved the above by this...

is it normal for when backing up the phone should flash on and off with the green android man and make a small vibrating sound...? How long does this backup take..?

The phone is turning on and off and the software is showing...

1321567435.jpg

but it never changes and so not working...?

Edited by dibbles

is it normal for when backing up the phone should flash on and off with the green android man and make a small vibrating sound...? How long does this backup take..?

No it isn't.

When the process reaches near the end and the phone shuts down it will reboot but you'll need to hold volume diwn so it goes back in FTM.

Edited by D3abL3

Guest dibbles

ok so now the phone stays in FTM mode but the software is "stuck" showing this...

1321542532.jpg

nothing is progressing and it just stops like that.

Any ideas please, I really would like this to work but thanks for the help so far. :)

Edited by dibbles

Guest putbinoot

ok so now the phone stays in FTM mode but the software is "stuck" showing this...

1321542532.jpg

nothing is progressing and it just stops like that.

Any ideas please, I really would like this to work but thanks for the help so far. :)

When you get into FTM mode put the battery back in, myself and others had this problem of the flash not happening which was solved by putting the battery back in.

Guest dibbles

When you get into FTM mode put the battery back in, myself and others had this problem of the flash not happening which was solved by putting the battery back in.

You are a star - that worked right away once the battery was placed back in :)

Please stay around :D

Edited by dibbles

Guest putbinoot

Does the last option:

'OPTIONAL – go to “POST-UNLOCK FOLDER” and run the bat file again – this installs ClockworkMod'

.....also root your phone.

Thanks

I do not think so you have to follow the sticky for rooting to do that.

rooting

Guest dibbles

I just installed the [ROM] [bLUEMONTE CUSTOM ROM 2.3.4 - ZTE SKATE / OMC] (UPDATED v1.8.D AVAILABLE) which gave me root privileges after unlocking the phone etc.

Thank you guys!

Managed to unlock one OMC remotely - my friend bought one and took with him to Norway, no unlock method was available few weeks ago.

Today using this guide i managed to get him unlocked, rooted and have cyanogenmod installed! And everything remotely - I'm in North-East Scotland and he's in cold Oslo!

BTW i had some "fun" finding "android" driver for WinXP, also didn't succeed with QPST backup, however device connects to wireless network fine and works well!

can anyone advise what i am doing wrong my monte carlo is straight out of the box never flashed before downloaded the bits of software run the recovery and it turns phone off comes back on with android man but says waiting for device and does not change :(

Edited by omc3g

Guest xiaoyaoswim

can anyone advise what i am doing wrong my monte carlo is straight out of the box never flashed before downloaded the bits of software run the recovery and it turns phone off comes back on with android man but says waiting for device and does not change :(

In your case you don't need to do the install-recovery step, just go to step 5. The "waiting for device" problem is due to failure of driver installation.

In your case you don't need to do the install-recovery step, just go to step 5. The "waiting for device" problem is due to failure of driver installation.

do you mean of the usb driver?