UNLOCKING: HOW TO PREVENT WIFI MAC AND NVITEMS LOSS

Guest John W

Guest BustaRhymes+

Think ive got it now...ive saved a file called DEADD00D_0.qcn which is 153 KB in file size...is that the correct file?

lol im usually ok at tech stuff i used to build pc's for a living...but phone stuff just isnt my forte im afraid :(

Guest xiaoyaoswim

Drivers now installed but stil getting same error message :(

I'm not sure what exactly that error mean. But it could be that QPST haven't recognised you phone. You might need to config the port where your phone connected to by running "QPST Configuration" and in port tab -- Add New Port -- select the right port num and click ok.

To tilal6991, would you pls mention this in both of your tutorials? Also I think credit should be given to John W who found the right way to backup & restore Nonvolatile(NV) Memory.

Guest BustaRhymes+

I'm not sure what exactly that error mean. But it could be that QPST haven't recognised you phone. You might need to config the port where your phone connected to by running "QPST Configuration" and in port tab -- Add New Port -- select the right port num and click ok.

To tilal6991, would you pls mention this in both of your tutorials? Also I think credit should be given to John W who found the right way to backup & restore Nonvolatile(NV) Memory.

Thats exactly what I had to do..manually configure the port before the software would recognise the phone.

Think I have got it now and managed to backup the nv items.

Thanks to both you guys you have been most helpful :)

Guest tilal6991

Will do.

Guest Droid 007

I don't have time to do the whole QPST backup sequence. Hopefully someone else will. But I have made a video which shows the important part; how to edit your MAC address in the *.QCN backup of NVITEMS, and save it, ready for flashing:

I went to FTM, but the QPST Software Download does not recognise the phone, thus could not take backups. The phone itself turns on etc. make calls

Edited by Droid 007

Guest tilal6991

I went to FTM, but the QPST Software Download does not recognise the phone, thus could not take backups. The phone itself turns on etc. make calls

Have you installed drivers and manually tried to configure the ports in QPST?

Guest xiaoyaoswim

Think ive got it now...ive saved a file called DEADD00D_0.qcn which is 153 KB in file size...is that the correct file?

lol im usually ok at tech stuff i used to build pc's for a living...but phone stuff just isnt my forte im afraid :(

haha, I'm just the same as you - an enthusiast of pc but new to android handset. But I think the smart phone is just a mini version of computer, so you will get into it very quickly with your pc experience.

Guest BustaRhymes+

haha, I'm just the same as you - an enthusiast of pc but new to android handset. But I think the smart phone is just a mini version of computer, so you will get into it very quickly with your pc experience.

lol felt really embarassed asking questions on here as im usually giving advice to others, not often i find myself being such a noob haha..

Phone is now unlocked and running on GiffGaff, many thanks once again you really are a legend...I will send donation later this evening.

Guest Droid 007

Have you installed drivers and manually tried to configure the ports in QPST?

Thanks a lot Tilal. I went to QPST Configuration -> Ports tab -> Add New Port button -> COM10 -> OK

QPST now recognises my phone. I am backing up now. Then I will need to use hex to change MAC address. As I am following from pre-MAC unlock instructions, I hope these will be final bits. I also what to know which ROM is best to use.

Guest Droid 007

Thanks a lot Tilal. I went to QPST Configuration -> Ports tab -> Add New Port button -> COM10 -> OK

QPST now recognises my phone. I am backing up now. Then I will need to use hex to change MAC address. As I am following from pre-MAC unlock instructions, I hope these will be final bits. I also what to know which ROM is best to use.

Finally my OMC unlocked with WiFi working. Now looking for a ROM to put on. Any suggestions?

Guest glossywhite

I'm halfway through uploading a YouTube HD screencast of QPST & XVI32 hex-editing of the MAC, and re-flashing back. It's a roughly put together video, no audio or titles, but there are plenty of instructions underneath it, and also LOTS of guides and helpful OMC geeks on here.

A video has to be better than no video, right?

Watch this space...

Guest tilal6991

I'm halfway through uploading a YouTube HD screencast of QPST & XVI32 hex-editing of the MAC, and re-flashing back. It's a roughly put together video, no audio or titles, but there are plenty of instructions underneath it, and also LOTS of guides and helpful OMC geeks on here.

A video has to be better than no video, right?

Watch this space...

Just in advance - can I add this to my tutorial?

Guest ChrisH7

Quick heads up,

If you want to prevent the loss of your WIFI mac address and probably other NV items that we don't yet know about then there's a working method. This isn't a tutorial just a heads up to those writing the tutorials that they can incorporate.

If you can locate a copy of QPST v2.7_366 via Google, and run the included utility "Software download", use the BACKUP tab with the default options to save your phone's non volatile memory state into a QCN file (with all default options), then run the Unlock process according to existing tutorials, then go back into "Software download" and use the Restore tab to restore the saved QCN file, you will find that you have avoided losing your MAC address (Losing the MAC address is probably no big issue, though to me it seems incredibly unlikely statistically that that is all we've lost from the existing unlocking process, and my concern is there are most likely other items that we may discover have been lost later on such as radio calibration data etc)

Hi John W, I ran the tutorial for unlock of my new Monte Carlo phone, all worked I but neglected to note the MAC address, now have the wi-fi issue "phone doesn't write Mac address" I don't think I have the saved QCN file either. Is there a solution to this? I am OK to try a complete root. (I am also new to this stuff, so need it spelt out) I will donate as required to solve this.

Yours hopefully ChrisH.

Hi John W, I ran the tutorial for unlock of my new Monte Carlo phone, all worked I but neglected to note the MAC address, now have the wi-fi issue "phone doesn't write Mac address" I don't think I have the saved QCN file either. Is there a solution to this? I am OK to try a complete root. (I am also new to this stuff, so need it spelt out) I will donate as required to solve this.

Yours hopefully ChrisH.

Here you go :)

Guest ChrisH7

Hi John W The problem is I cannot edit back in my MAC address because I did'nt write write it on paper, but I followed the tutorial. Am I now stuck, or can I obtain a "replacement MAC address?

Would much appreciate your help will donte especially if you make it simple for me.

Guest glossywhite

Hi John W The problem is I cannot edit back in my MAC address because I did'nt write write it on paper, but I followed the tutorial. Am I now stuck, or can I obtain a "replacement MAC address?

Would much appreciate your help will donte especially if you make it simple for me.

I've PM'd you. I'll fix your QCN for you, with a new MAC.

Guest DanielUK

I bought a Monte Carlo today, and managed to unlock it just perfectly with the tutorials, but managed not to save the .qcn file. The phone boots up, accepts my T-Mobile SIM, and everything but wifi seems to work.

I have gone back and downloaded/saved the .qcn file, and edited with a hex editor and restored the file, but Settings>About Phone>Wiifi MAC still shows 11 22 33 etc. I repeated with arnoldziq's editor and restored that file instead, but still the same.

What could I be doing wrong? I added the port in the QPST program and it detects the phone, it generates/downloads the qcn files, I am sure I'm editing the files correctly, and it looks like the files upload/restore correctly - the phone restarts yet the Wifi MAC doesn't change.

Guest arnoldziq

I bought a Monte Carlo today, and managed to unlock it just perfectly with the tutorials, but managed not to save the .qcn file. The phone boots up, accepts my T-Mobile SIM, and everything but wifi seems to work.

I have gone back and downloaded/saved the .qcn file, and edited with a hex editor and restored the file, but Settings>About Phone>Wiifi MAC still shows 11 22 33 etc. I repeated with arnoldziq's editor and restored that file instead, but still the same.

What could I be doing wrong? I added the port in the QPST program and it detects the phone, it generates/downloads the qcn files, I am sure I'm editing the files correctly, and it looks like the files upload/restore correctly - the phone restarts yet the Wifi MAC doesn't change.

Did you write back to the phone a proper file ? This one with a name like : your_backup_xx_xx_xx_xx_xx_xx.qcn ?

Attach here patched qcn file. We will take a look.

Edited by arnoldziq

Guest DanielUK

Did you write back to the phone a proper file ? This one with a name like : your_backup_xx_xx_xx_xx_xx_xx.qcn ?

Attach here patched qcn file. We will take a look.

Thank you - yes, attached is the QCN file I downloaded, the one I created by editing in a hex editor, and the one from your utility. In the QPST Software Download program I selected the one of the two edited QCN files and it restored to the phone and the phone restarted itself, but the MAC address doesn't appear to change in the phone.

(Edit - removed the QCN file attachments after reading that they were phone-specific and that they would hold the IMEI)

Edited by DanielUK