How to install the drivers for OMC/ZTE Skate

Guest xiaoyaoswim

Guest xiaoyaoswim

I keep seeing people struggle with problems when connecting their handset to a Windows PC by USB cable. So here I am trying to give some more explanation about the Windows drivers stuff on OMC/ZTE Skate. Hope it will help you sort out the driver issue especially the annoying "waiting for device" message.

Basically there are two kinds of Windows drivers for Skate. One is an executable file from ZTE, named Handset_USB_Driver.exe. This file will appear in a virtual CDROM which is automatically mounted the first time you connect your phone to a PC (as long as your phone still got the stock firmware on). I also uploaded the driver to http://www.multiupload.com/BQ7VQOQA4L .(NEW LINK) Since it’s an exe file, you just need to run it and the driver will be automatically installed. Once you installed it, your phone should be able to work in normal mode and FTM mode.

On the other hand, when you are trying to flash the superboot or recovery (clockworkmod or stock one) by the ADB tool you need another driver from Google. I ripped it from Google Android SDK and uploaded it to http://www.multiupload.com/71A1OXUPYI (NEW LINK) . Unfortunately this one is not an exe file, which means you need to install the driver manually. And to make things worse, you will have to select which driver to install as Windows will not do it for you. If you are stuck in bootloader mode, where you only have the green Android logo on the phone screen and "waiting for device" message on Windows Command Prompt, I will take Win7 as an example to show you how to manually install the driver. Open device manager and find the unrecognised device called Android Phone ---> in its driver tab click update driver---> choose to browse my computer for driver ---> choose to pick from a list of device drivers and then select all device --->click have disk --->browse to the folder where you extracted Google driver to --->Select "Android Bootloader Interface" and then click next. Now the driver for bootloader mode should be successfully installed.

Note: The windows driver is for both 32 bit and 64 bit OS. The manual installation process for Vista could be slightly different but very similar.

UPDATE

If you are installing Google SDK driver in Windows XP, you need to add following section into android_winusb.inf ( Many Thanks to dadcore)

;ZTE Skate

%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_D00D

%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_D00D&MI_01

OR you can just download & overwrite the original android_winusb.inf with the one in attachment. android_winusb_Skate_WinXP.zip

Edited by xiaoyaoswim

In case this doesn't work there is another workaround which worked with me.

After you install the first driver as mentioned here, go to the folder where you installed them and run the "USBDriverInstaller_x64.exe" or "USBDriverInstaller_x86.exe" whatever is your case(x64 or x86).

Alternatively you can point the drivers(manual installation) to the folder /Drivers/i386 or /Drivers/amd64 in the installation folder, again whatever is your case(x64 or x86).

Guest escaiguolquer

I was very happy when i saw this post, because i'm having troubles with unlocking my OMC with your brand new method.In order to use google drivers, when you say "

Select "Android Bootloader Interface" and then click next.
(sorry but i can't even use the "multiquote")

I don't have that, i only have "android_winusb.inf" (and winXP says to me that this doesn't fit)

The same problem with the drivers from ZTE (that i already had, and i suppose they are not the required ones) "USBDriverInstaller_x86.exe" (it does not seem to do nothing at all), and in the folder /Drivers/i386 XP doesn't find any driver (only *.sys and a .dll)

Could you please give me a hand with it?

Edited by escaiguolquer

I was very happy when i saw this post, because i'm having troubles with unlocking my OMC with your brand new method.In order to use google drivers, when you say " (sorry but i can't even use the "multiquote")

I don't have that, i only have "android_winusb.inf" (and winXP says to me that this doesn't fit)

The same problem with the drivers from ZTE (that i already had, and i suppose they are not the required ones) "USBDriverInstaller_x86.exe" (it does not seem to do nothing at all), and in the folder /Drivers/i386 XP doesn't find any driver (only *.sys and a .dll)

If you want get TeamViewer, send me ID & pass through PM, and I'll gladly assist you.

Guest escaiguolquer

Please, forgive my ignorance, but... What is TeamViewer, what is PM, and what ID&pass can i pass to you?

thanks

Edited by escaiguolquer

Guest xiaoyaoswim

I was very happy when i saw this post, because i'm having troubles with unlocking my OMC with your brand new method.In order to use google drivers, when you say " (sorry but i can't even use the "multiquote")

I think in WinXP, you are asked to specify the driver inf file, and yes "android_winusb.inf" is exactly the one you need to select. Just ignore the Windows warning message and continue to install.

PS TeamViewer mentioned by D3abL3 is a remote control software through which he can control your pc and help you to install the driver. PM is just to send a Private Message. Sometimes to Google it will tell you everything.wink.gif

Guest escaiguolquer

I think in WinXP, you are asked to specify the driver inf file, and yes "android_winusb.inf" is exactly the one you need to select. Just ignore the Windows warning message and continue to install.

Thank you for answering. I figured out that was the one i need, but Windows tell that it does not fit with hardware (android phone), and no way to ignore the message and proceed.

That is actually the problem.

PS TeamViewer mentioned by D3abL3 is a remote control software through which he can control your pc and help you to install the driver. PM is just to send a Private Message. Sometimes to Google it will tell you everything.wink.gif

I've seen that TeamViewer, and it's a beautiful tool ;-)

I'll manage to get another running windows computer, to get my OMC free. From that point on, I'll use my ubuntu, as i've watched that works perfect with skate (using qtadb, without any trouble with drivers) There is no way to free the OMC using adb on ubuntu?

If i can't, i'll ask for the assistance of D3abL3 (very kind to offer)

Thank you very much. I'll post my findings

Guest putbinoot

I think also that some people maybe connecting their phone to the pc without debugging turned on so it installs drivers for file transfer and mounts the sd card (installing mass storage drivers) instead of detecting it as a phone and installing the drivers for the phone. Just a thought.

I think also that some people maybe connecting their phone to the pc without debugging turned on so it installs drivers for file transfer and mounts the sd card (installing mass storage drivers) instead of detecting it as a phone and installing the drivers for the phone. Just a thought.

If you connect it without debug on then it will install mass storage drivers, but if you go at "My Computer", Right-click the "ghost" driver of your phone and Eject it should then install adb drivers(when debug is on). I did this once, like it is suggested somewhere in the forum, and it worked.

Guest rbkmagic

Hi there,

i got the same probleme installing driver for Skate. Its tells me that the driver dosen't fit with my device. Could u give a hand how to config my phone to use it in debug mode, and how to install the driver in other way?

sorry for my english :)

Guest dadcore

Had trouble installing the drivers from the google SDK (XP, 32bit), until I came across this: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2656595/android-usb-driver-for-xperia-x10a

Obviously the values are different for the Skate - I added these to android_winusb.inf after the Google NexusOne section:

;ZTE Skate

Guest xiaoyaoswim

I thought the Google SDK driver could be installed for Skatein bootloader mode under a WinXP environment but I was wrong. Today I had a try myself in WinXP 32bit and found the “the driver doesn’t fit” error. Thanks to dadcore for pointing out that the driver info for Skate needs to be added manually. I added following section into android_winusb.inf as dadcore suggested and the driver now can be successfully installed.

;ZTE Skate

You can download the modified file for WIndows XP in attachment.android_winusb_Skate_WinXP.zip

Guest xiaoyaoswim

is it working on win7, and if its then how?

I tried ur but didn't worked for me

Yes, it's working in Win7. The process I described in the first post is exactly for Win7. Please follow every step

and if you still got problems give some more details.

Guest xiaoyaoswim

Thank you for answering. I figured out that was the one i need, but Windows tell that it does not fit with hardware (android phone), and no way to ignore the message and proceed.

That is actually the problem.

I've seen that TeamViewer, and it's a beautiful tool ;-)

I'll manage to get another running windows computer, to get my OMC free. From that point on, I'll use my ubuntu, as i've watched that works perfect with skate (using qtadb, without any trouble with drivers) There is no way to free the OMC using adb on ubuntu?

If i can't, i'll ask for the assistance of D3abL3 (very kind to offer)

Thank you very much. I'll post my findings

It is a good idea to run the adb tools in Linux to avoid the driver problems. But you have to use FTM flasher and QPST to unlock your OMC and those software could only run in Windows. Fortunately to use those software you only need to install ZTE driver.

Edited by xiaoyaoswim

Guest xiaoyaoswim

this is probably a noob question but how do you get into bootloader mode?

You only need to get into bootloader mode when you are trying to install Superboot or ClockworkMod recovery / restore stock recovery. On that occasion to run the .bat file will automatically do it for you.

Guest escaiguolquer

Had trouble installing the drivers from the google SDK (XP, 32bit), until I came across this: http://stackoverflow...for-xperia-x10a

Obviously the values are different for the Skate - I added these to android_winusb.inf after the Google NexusOne section:

;ZTE Skate

That's it! I've got it

thank you very much

Guest rbkmagic

Still can't install the driver, copied everything what needed to the usb info file, but sill get a message with "cant find driver for your device".

Could u write it from steps to steps, i wonder what i doing wrong.

Guest xiaoyaoswim

Still can't install the driver, copied everything what needed to the usb info file, but sill get a message with "cant find driver for your device".

Could u write it from steps to steps, i wonder what i doing wrong.

What OS are you using? WIn 7? I have already told you every step in the first post

Edited by xiaoyaoswim

Guest rbkmagic

What OS are you using? WIn 7? I have already told you every step in the first post

Yes, Win7 x64 , i have tried wverything what u wrote down, but sill got messages. Should i do smg on my phone?

-Got the "device not found" message when trying to install the recovery but no bootloader.-

Edited by rbkmagic