How to install the drivers for OMC/ZTE Skate

Guest xiaoyaoswim

I cannot for the life of me get this driver to work to allow the CWM.

I have tried on XP and Vista and it all seems to install with no problems but I get the

< waiting for device >

but I dont even get the green android - my MC does nothing when I run the bat - just sits at the normal screen showing the Orange icons

Am I being really thick?

Edited by randan

Guest xiaoyaoswim

I cannot for the life of me get this driver to work to allow the CWM.

I have tried on XP and Vista and it all seems to install with no problems but I get the

< waiting for device >

but I dont even get the green android - my MC does nothing when I run the bat - just sits at the normal screen showing the Orange icons

Am I being really thick?

If you fail to get green android (green android means your phone is in bootloader mode), the first command of 'adb-windows.exe reboot bootloader' was not successfully done.Can you post detailed output Windows Command Prompt gave?

Guest xiaoyaoswim

I always get the device not found error - usb debugging is enabled and the phone is unlocked.post-788776-0-71160200-1323092965_thumb.

Is there any unknown device in device manager? Have you installed Handset_USB_Driver?

Thanks for the reply - there is no unknown device and the device manager is show here :-post-788776-0-89366300-1323094754_thumb.

I have installed the drivers that came from the unlock thread and also I have tried several things suggested here and in other posts around the forum but seem to be getting nowhere.

Edited by randan

Guest xiaoyaoswim

Thanks for the reply - there is no unknown device and the device manager is show here :-post-788776-0-89366300-1323094754_thumb.

I have installed the drivers that came from the unlock thread and also I have tried several things suggested here and in other posts around the forum but seem to be getting nowhere.

The handset ADB interface driver is correctly installed. I think the reason your phone couldn't reboot into bootloader is not caused by the driver but some other stuff e.g. fault USB cable / port etc. You'd better use the USB ports at the back of you PC, as the USB ports at front panel could suffer from weak signal/power.

I have tried two cables and three different usb sockets on two different computers and they all give the same result - error device not found then waiting for device.

Maybe I have a duff MC?

Guest Obsydian

STUCK ON GREEN ANDROID SCREEN DURING CWM

Two days wasted, installing drivers, manual config, different cables, different ports, guess what solved it without any of this ....

I used the supplied cable (prior to thatI used two quality known working cables).

Go figure who gives a crap, it works.

Trying to install ClockworkMod and after running 'install-recovery-windows.bat' from the unlock tutorial's post-unlock folder, I get stuck at the same green android screen and "waiting for device message" that has troubled others. But no error message. Only then I get a message in the system tray to say "Found New Hardware" and the Found New Hardware Wizard opens with options to search for something or allow Windows Updates. I don't know what to do at this stage if anything, so just cancel.

I'm using Windows XP and USB debugging is switched on. In device manager I can see the following and there are no unknown devices:

ADB Interface: Handset ADB Interface

Disk drives: Handset ADB Interface

Modem: Handset USB Modem

But have nothing for Portable Devices as highlighted by another poster as perhaps necessary?

Powering on with the volume down button depressed results in the FTM screen, whatever that is. And battery has to come out to reboot the phone.

Can anyone please help? Going round in circles reading all the relevant threads and getting nowhere fast.

Edited by Nozz

Guest xiaoyaoswim

Trying to install ClockworkMod and after running 'install-recovery-windows.bat' from the unlock tutorial's post-unlock folder, I get stuck at the same green android screen and "waiting for device message" that has troubled others. But no error message. Only then I get a message in the system tray to say "Found New Hardware" and the Found New Hardware Wizard opens with options to search for something or allow Windows Updates. I don't know what to do at this stage if anything, so just cancel.

I'm using Windows XP and USB debugging is switched on. In device manager I can see the following and there are no unknown devices:

ADB Interface: Handset ADB Interface

Disk drives: Handset ADB Interface

Modem: Handset USB Modem

But have nothing for Portable Devices as highlighted by another poster as perhaps necessary?

Powering on with the volume down button depressed results in the FTM screen, whatever that is. And battery has to come out to reboot the phone.

Can anyone please help? Going round in circles reading all the relevant threads and getting nowhere fast.

When the Found New Hardware Wizard appeared, you should install the driver manually, or perhaps through Windows Updates.

Now you need to run install-recovery-windows.bat again. As soon as you get stuck in ""waiting for device" find a unknown device in device manager(if you cannot find it, try to Scan for New Hardware), and then follow the instruction in the frist post to install the Google SDK driver. Remember to download the android_winusb.inf in attachment and overwrite the original one since you are using Windows XP.

When the Found New Hardware Wizard appeared, you should install the driver manually, or perhaps through Windows Updates.

Now you need to run install-recovery-windows.bat again. As soon as you get stuck in ""waiting for device" find a unknown device in device manager(if you cannot find it, try to Scan for New Hardware), and then follow the instruction in the frist post to install the Google SDK driver. Remember to download the android_winusb.inf in attachment and overwrite the original one since you are using Windows XP.

Thank you so much. Looks to have worked perfectly with XP. Now let's get a ROM added and see how that looks!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Coffer52

Hi guys, I've just moved from OSF this device and like many others I have lost hours trying to connect to the phone. I'm getting the same problem as most failed to find device waiting for device and the green andriod screen. Never had these problems with the OSF!!!

Guest Skate Away

Hi guys, I've just moved from OSF this device and like many others I have lost hours trying to connect to the phone. I'm getting the same problem as most failed to find device waiting for device and the green andriod screen. Never had these problems with the OSF!!!

I bet it won't take you as many hours as it took me.....

sad.gif

Guest Coffer52

I bet it won't take you as many hours as it took me.....

sad.gif

Today is a new day, so onto another PC, download all the files again, start it all again. This was so easy on the OSF, I've been 30 years in IT and its making me feel very humble at the moment! Still I wont be beaten, here goes again!

Guest Wacky.ddw

Today is a new day, so onto another PC, download all the files again, start it all again. This was so easy on the OSF, I've been 30 years in IT and its making me feel very humble at the moment! Still I wont be beaten, here goes again!

Ive noticed it has problems with vista, if your using that?

Guest Skate Away

Ah, pride before a fall...

You probably won't be beaten, but I bet you get to the point where you would be very happy to throw the phone at a wall before you do win....

Guest Coffer52

I keep seeing people struggle with problems when connecting their handset to a Windows PC by USB cable. So here I am trying to give some more explanation about the Windows drivers stuff on OMC/ZTE Skate. Hope it will help you sort out the driver issue especially the annoying "waiting for device" message.

Basically there are two kinds of Windows drivers for Skate. One is an executable file from ZTE, named Handset_USB_Driver.exe. This file will appear in a virtual CDROM which is automatically mounted the first time you connect your phone to a PC (as long as your phone still got the stock firmware on). I also uploaded the driver to http://www.multiupload.com/BQ7VQOQA4L . Since it’s an exe file, you just need to run it and the driver will be automatically installed. Once you installed it, your phone should be able to work in normal mode and FTM mode.

On the other hand, when you are trying to flash the superboot or recovery (clockworkmod or stock one) by the ADB tool you need another driver from Google. I ripped it from Google Android SDK and uploaded it to http://www.multiupload.com/71A1OXUPYI . Unfortunately this one is not an exe file, which means you need to install the driver manually. And to make things worse, you will have to select which driver to install as Windows will not do it for you. If you are stuck in bootloader mode, where you only have the green Android logo on the phone screen and "waiting for device" message on Windows Command Prompt, I will take Win7 as an example to show you how to manually install the driver. Open device manager and find the unrecognised device called Android Phone ---> in its driver tab click update driver---> choose to browse my computer for driver ---> choose to pick from a list of device drivers and then select all device --->click have disk --->browse to the folder where you extracted Google driver to --->Select "Android Bootloader Interface" and then click next. Now the driver for bootloader mode should be successfully installed.

Note: The windows driver is for both 32 bit and 64 bit OS. The manual installation process for Vista could be slightly different but very similar.

UPDATE

If you are installing Google SDK driver in Windows XP, you need to add following section into android_winusb.inf ( Many Thanks to dadcore)

;ZTE Skate

%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_D00D

%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_D00D&MI_01

OR you can just download & overwrite the original android_winusb.inf with the one in attachment. android_winusb_Skate_WinXP.zip

Hi I'm following method 2 here and have downloaded the google drivers as I want to install clockworkmod but when I want to update the driver windows 7 tells me the current driver is the best and refuses to replace it!! FFS can someone help me with this crap!

Guest Coffer52

Ive noticed it has problems with vista, if your using that?

No mate this is Win 7 and Ive tried another PC and still no joy!! It will not let me update the google USB drivers just keeps telling me the installed drivers are the best and closes the window!

Guest Coffer52

OK now I've removed the windows installed driver and have an android phone with a question mark in other devices in device manager. I right click, update driver, and go to the driver files downloaded from the first post and all the f**king Android SDK environment USB drivers and it responds with cannot find driver FFS, I give up!

Guest Coffer52

Ah, pride before a fall...

You probably won't be beaten, but I bet you get to the point where you would be very happy to throw the phone at a wall before you do win....

Your right I'm there, wasted too must time on this crap!

Guest dibbles

This is what you should see...

1324489237.png

could you please post a screen shot showing what yours looks like and expand the tree to show the driver etc for the relevant components to do with the phone. The phone must be connected with debugging on but do not mount the SD card.

Edited by dibbles

Guest Coffer52

double post

Thanks for your response no I'm not getting the ZTE ADB interface I have the Handset ADB interface under ADB. What is the best tool for attaching a screen shot? Thanks again, I'm going staircrazy here!!

Guest dibbles

Taking a screenshot of your device manager under Windows....

Open DM with the relevant tree expanded. Click on DM to ensure it is "selected". Press and hold the ALT key and the Print-screen Key. Open up Paint and paste from the clipboard. Adjust as required and save to desktop. Post here with the full editor and in the left bottom corner attach the file, in this case your saved screenshot.

But does it state Composite ADB Interface under the device, ignore the ZTE prefix on mine for now.

Edited by dibbles

Guest Skate Away

Yeppers, bet you haven't wasted as much time as I did....or got quite as close to throwing it against a wall...

I did try all the guides on here, several times, but none of them worked (for me).

I don't normally have any problems with PC troubleshooting - this one is an exception.

I think I put in more than 24 hours of very frustrating effort and lots of missed sleep...

Eventually, it just worked, for no obvious reason and with no identifiable series of steps.

Here's how I did it, this might work for you, but I wouldn't put money on it....

1) remove anything related to the phone with USBdeview (it was difficult to tell what was related so I sorted them by date and removed everything recent)

1a) uninstall all drivers cool.gif

2) reboot

3) plug phone in, when the virtual CD appears in 'my computer' open it and copy the supplied driver to the desktop

4) close everything apart from one window showing 'my computer'

5) install the driver

6) right click and eject the virtual CD

7) wait

At this point nothing spectacular happened - there wasn't a phone symbol in 'my computer' and there wasn't anything much different in device manager.

In fact, I couldn't see any way of telling it had actually connected - other than in a DOS window.

I suspect I may well have had it connected earlier, possibly several times. sad.gifsad.gif

AFAIK, listing devices in DOS is the ONLY way of knowing if it has actually connected - though I stand to be corrected....

btw, how are you checking to see if the phone has connected ?

Edited by Skate Away