How to install the drivers for OMC/ZTE Skate

Guest xiaoyaoswim

Guest dibbles

@Coffer52 - do this...

With the phone plugged in, only with debugging mode on, open a command window and at the DOS prompt type in...

adb devices and then note what is listed. If your device is thee you should be fine if not, and I doubt it will, then double click on that ADB Interface driver and browse and pick your own to change it to the Composite ADB Interface as shown in mine.

You MUST have installed the Handset_USB_Driver before you do any of the above.

Then repeat with the same DOS Window when the driver reflects the Composite one. Run the command adb devices and the phone (ID) should be there.

I'm in a rush to go out and so have had to skimp through the above, I will be back soon to see how things have gone on for you.

Guest Coffer52

@Coffer52 - do this...

With the phone plugged in, only with debugging mode on, open a command window and at the DOS prompt type in...

adb devices and then note what is listed. If your device is thee you should be fine if not, and I doubt it will, then double click on that ADB Interface driver and browse and pick your own to change it to the Composite ADB Interface as shown in mine.

You MUST have installed the Handset_USB_Driver before you do any of the above.

Then repeat with the same DOS Window when the driver reflects the Composite one. Run the command adb devices and the phone (ID) should be there.

I'm in a rush to go out and so have had to skimp through the above, I will be back soon to see how things have gone on for you.

OK ran the commend it says P743T_OUK

Guest Skate Away

OK now inexplicably it has connected and allowed me to install CMR, I give up!

I think all the guides need to be re-written, mentioning 'adb devices' as I strongly suspect mine connected a lot earlier than I realised...and I also suspect your's might have too...

I didn't realise that 'adb devices' was necessary to check - if I had known that, I might have spent a fraction of the time fighting with it...

Guest Skate Away

Moving onto the unlocking thread and guess what, having rebooted the phone, the ADB no longer sees it, WTF!!

Don't worry, that's all part of the fun

Try this:

1) remove anything related to the phone with USBdeview (it was difficult to tell what was related so I sorted them by date and removed everything recent)

1a) uninstall all drivers

2) reboot

3) plug phone in, when the virtual CD appears in 'my computer' open it and copy the supplied driver to the desktop

4) close everything apart from one window showing 'my computer'

5) install the driver

6) right click and eject the virtual CD

7) wait

I had to do this everytime I wanted it to connect....

I don't know if it would connect now if I tried it....I'm not sure I want to know either...

Edited by Skate Away

Guest dibbles

OK ran the commend it says P743T_OUK

That means all is well with the ADB link to your phone :)

OK now inexplicably it has connected and allowed me to install CMR, I give up!

Nothing inexplicable but we will let that one go as you have installed, I assume CWM - but you should not have done that as you need to have stock recovery for FTM mode to unlock the phone.

Moving onto the unlocking thread and guess what, having rebooted the phone, the ADB no longer sees it, WTF!!

seriously calm down. Go and find a kitten and give it a hug :D

You should still have the ability to form a ADB type connection but I'm not sure why you installed CWM before you unlocked your phone...? Unless you mean stock recovery as the first part to get into FTM mode..?

Edited by dibbles

Guest dibbles

I think all the guides need to be re-written, mentioning 'adb devices' as I strongly suspect mine connected a lot earlier than I realised...and I also suspect your's might have too...

I didn't realise that 'adb devices' was necessary to check - if I had known that, I might have spent a fraction of the time fighting with it...

Yup if you look at my screenshot and you have your phone plugged in and debugging set thenyou NEED to see the ADB Composite Interface for the ability to send ADB type commands etc.

Guest Coffer52

That means all is well with the ADB link to your phone :)

I really dont understand the random nature of this connection!

Nothing inexplicable but we will let that one go as you have installed, I assume CWM - but you should not have done that as you need to have stock recovery for FTM mode to unlock the phone.

seriously calm down. Go and find a kitten and give it a hug :D

Thanks I know what you mean, I am trying honest!

You should still have the ability to form a ADB type connection but I'm not sure why you installed CWM before you unlocked your phone...? Unless you mean stock recovery as the first part to get into FTM mode..?

OK I wanted CWM to do a full backup before starting anything else, I've always worked this way and I had no problems with the OSF. Secondly I read in one of the threads that if you unlock then subsequently flash CWM or Rot and Spueruser you loose your unlocking. Could have remembered wrongly as my brian is a bit scrambled.

Guest Coffer52

Don't worry, that's all part of the fun

Try this:

1) remove anything related to the phone with USBdeview (it was difficult to tell what was related so I sorted them by date and removed everything recent)

1a) uninstall all drivers

2) reboot

3) plug phone in, when the virtual CD appears in 'my computer' open it and copy the supplied driver to the desktop

4) close everything apart from one window showing 'my computer'

5) install the driver

6) right click and eject the virtual CD

7) wait

I had to do this everytime I wanted it to connect....

I don't know if it would connect now if I tried it....I'm not sure I want to know either...

Followed your advice and its connected again, there is something flakey about this approach though! I'm worried when I get half way through the unlocking thread I will loose the connection again!

Guest dibbles

OK I wanted CWM to do a full backup before starting anything else, I've always worked this way and I had no problems with the OSF. Secondly I read in one of the threads that if you unlock then subsequently flash CWM or Rot and Spueruser you loose your unlocking. Could have remembered wrongly as my brian is a bit scrambled.

Then install CWM as per instructions and do what you wish to do, albeit there are already some stock images in the appropriate thread. Then follow the instructions in the unlocking thread and the first part of that it to install the stock recovery so that you have access to FTM mode to go through the unlock procedure.

From there if you wish to keep to a stock image then you will need Super User installed to allow you to debrand etc. If you are going to install a custom ROM then forget SU as that is part of the ROM.

At the end of the unlock procedure you get to install CWM so that you can then decide which ROM to install.

Installing SU or CWM does nothing to compromise the unlocking of the phone.

When you have unlocked the phone then I would consider, for example, installing the Atomic ver 2.0 ROM (complete with SU) and the small patch etc as it performs so much better than the stock ROM's available,. But that would be your choice.

But read the relevant threads first and not just the stickied opening post of the unlocking procedure, for example.

Edited by dibbles

Guest Skate Away

Followed your advice and its connected again, there is something flakey about this approach though! I'm worried when I get half way through the unlocking thread I will loose the connection again!

It's not an approach I chose !!

You should be ok unlocking, I was.

Unlocking isn't that bad, I left some of the steps out as I had the original ROM.

It's fairly easy and straightforward - after you've got USB working....

Just plugged the phone in and it's connected as 'CM7-Skate'.

I'm wondering if part of the problem with connecting on the OEM ROM is the virtual CD itself...

Guest Coffer52

It's not an approach I chose !!

You should be ok unlocking, I was.

Unlocking isn't that bad, I left some of the steps out as I had the original ROM.

It's fairly easy and straightforward - after you've got USB working....

Just plugged the phone in and it's connected as 'CM7-Skate'.

I'm wondering if part of the problem with connecting on the OEM ROM is the virtual CD itself...

I'm happy flashing etc, I've been dioing it for the last year or so. The biggest problem is getting the interface working!! OK just rebooted everything again, opened command prompt checked for ADB devices, my phone appeared, ran the unlocking batch file install windows recovery bat then ..... nothing waiting for device and the andriod on my phone. Something is busted in my setup.

Guest Coffer52

Then install CWM as per instructions and do what you wish to do, albeit there are already some stock images in the appropriate thread. Then follow the instructions in the unlocking thread and the first part of that it to install the stock recovery so that you have access to FTM mode to go through the unlock procedure.

From there if you wish to keep to a stock image then you will need Super User installed to allow you to debrand etc. If you are going to install a custom ROM then forget SU as that is part of the ROM.

At the end of the unlock procedure you get to install CWM so that you can then decide which ROM to install.

Installing SU or CWM does nothing to compromise the unlocking of the phone.

When you have unlocked the phone then I would consider, for example, installing the Atomic ver 2.0 ROM (complete with SU) and the small patch etc as it performs so much better than the stock ROM's available,. But that would be your choice.

But read the relevant threads first and not just the stickied opening post of the unlocking procedure, for example.

Thanks mate, I've just rebooted eveything again, the phone connected adb devices displayed my phone in the CP. I then ran the first file in the unlocking thread, the phone vibrated then locked on the andriod screen again!! It must be the interface drivers I have installed. I've removed them and installed others from the ZTE site, google, here all to no avail, very frustrating!

Guest Coffer52

Some folk have mentioned problems with the supplied USB cable. Is there another one you can try?

I can go and get another one tomorrow. I have the latest version of ZTE adb and drivers.However, Win7will not allow me to replace the windows installed version of the drivers.When I remove them, it forces me to reboot and just reinstalls the microsoft drivers for the device. Going around ever decreasing circles here. Have 241 orange tickets for the cinema tonight, need to clear my head, its knackered!!!

Guest Atomix86

I can go and get another one tomorrow. I have the latest version of ZTE adb and drivers.However, Win7will not allow me to replace the windows installed version of the drivers.When I remove them, it forces me to reboot and just reinstalls the microsoft drivers for the device. Going around ever decreasing circles here. Have 241 orange tickets for the cinema tonight, need to clear my head, its knackered!!!

Have you tried right clicking the "zte drivers" mounted drive in my computer and ejecting it (when connected via USB to the computer).

Guest Coffer52

Have you tried right clicking the "zte drivers" mounted drive in my computer and ejecting it (when connected via USB to the computer).

Sorry mate don't have a my computer link in Win7 I have computer and there are no drives relating to zte drivers

Guest Skate Away

When I remove them, it forces me to reboot and just reinstalls the microsoft drivers for the device. Going around ever decreasing circles here.

There are instructions for overriding windows when installing drivers - however, you do have to pay attention and follow them to the letter.

The moment you take your eyes off the instructions (as you know what you are doing) you'll do it slightly differently and then it won't work.

Have you considered creating a phone/wall interface yet ?

Guest dibbles

Well I'm no longer sure where you are up to or what you have removed or added. But you could have manually flashed the stock recovery but if you are having issues like this at the very start I would advise caution before continuing. If and when you get into FTM mode you simply do not want to have issues when it is part way through the unlocking process or you really could end up with a dead phone.

At the point where the phone rebooted (that shows it is working up to that point) all you should have then done, after it had finished, to check that the stock recovery had been installed is to switch off the phone and switch it back on with the volume button held down until either CWM (not stock recovery) or FTM appears on the screen - stock recovery.

Guest Coffer52

Well I'm no longer sure where you are up to or what you have removed or added. But you could have manually flashed the stock recovery but if you are having issues like this at the very start I would advise caution before continuing. If and when you get into FTM mode you simply do not want to have issues when it is part way through the unlocking process or you really could end up with a dead phone.

At the point where the phone rebooted (that shows it is working up to that point) all you should have then done, after it had finished, to check that the stock recovery had been installed is to switch off the phone and switch it back on with the volume button held down until either CWM (not stock recovery) or FTM appears on the screen - stock recovery.

Thanks dibbles, yes I agree and have the same concerns! When I managed to get a connection and flashed CWM I then booted into CWM which worked, but since then I got it connected again and tried to flash the first stage of the unlocking thread, by running install recovery windows.bat at this point the phone rebooted and locked on the andriod screen. So I'm not sure what recovery I can now and I dont want to try anything until I'm sure Ive got this bloody ADB interface working.

The trouble is I'm off to Australia for a 3 month holiday in a couple of weeks and I really need to unlock the phone to use other sims and get rid of the ornage bloatware!!

Edited by Coffer52

Guest dibbles

I would be loathed to advise how to manually flash the stock recovery for the reasons I have already noted.

If you have an alternative lead to test than that would be useful.

What I would suggest is this...

Switch the phone off and then reboot it.

Do the same for the PC.

Connect the phone via the lead, USB debugging only enabled, and open a command window and type in as you did previously adb devices. If you get the device ID then you are good to go.

Go into the Preparation folder and run the install-recovery-windows.bat from that folder ensuring altogether therer are six files within that folder you arerunning it from.