How to install the drivers for OMC/ZTE Skate

Guest xiaoyaoswim

Guest Skate Away

Go into the Preparation folder and run the install-recovery-windows.bat from that folder ensuring altogether therer are six files within that folder you arerunning it from.

What does "install-recovery-windows.bat" do ?

Guest dibbles

What does "install-recovery-windows.bat" do ?

Automates what you could do manually, reboots the phone into bootloader and then flashes via fastboot the stock flash recovery. Then you can get into FTM mode and start to unlock the phone. But I never installed CWM prior to unlocking as I could not see the point so I only had the stock recovery in the first place.

Edited by dibbles

Guest Skate Away

Automates what you could do manually, reboots the phone into bootloader and then flashes via fastboot the stock flash recovery. Then you can get into FTM mode and start to unlock the phone. But I never installed CWM prior to unlocking as I could not see the point so I only had the stock recovery in the first place.

Ok, I've unlocked mine - just trying to get to grips with the fine print...

In the "want-to-unlock-your-omc-skate-tutorial-here" thread what does step 4 - Go into “Preparation” folder and run the “install-recovery-windows.bat”. This should flash stock recovery and reboot the phone. - achieve ?

What's the reason for doing this ?

When you say "I only had the stock recovery in the first place." do you mean "I already had the stock recovery in place" ?

Edited by Skate Away

Guest dibbles

I assume as the unlock procedure got put together after after CWM was available there had to be a way for people to get back to the stock recovery and thus enable FTM mode to unlock their phone. I did not need to do that as I had not got CWM recovery installed.

Guest Coffer52

Just been out to see Puss in Boots 3D, good fun, OK back to the graft then LOL! Right I''ll do as you advise Dibbles re rebooting. Shame I'm overwritting CWM as I'm mauch happer with a backup, which I've already completed in CWM! Hey ho!

Guest Coffer52

I would be loathed to advise how to manually flash the stock recovery for the reasons I have already noted.

If you have an alternative lead to test than that would be useful.

What I would suggest is this...

Switch the phone off and then reboot it.

Do the same for the PC.

Connect the phone via the lead, USB debugging only enabled, and open a command window and type in as you did previously adb devices. If you get the device ID then you are good to go.

Go into the Preparation folder and run the install-recovery-windows.bat from that folder ensuring altogether therer are six files within that folder you arerunning it from.

Did all the above no luck, the phone did not list, bed now start again tomorrow wil try and get another lead. Thanks again for all your help.

Guest Coffer52

I think all the guides need to be re-written, mentioning 'adb devices' as I strongly suspect mine connected a lot earlier than I realised...and I also suspect your's might have too...

I didn't realise that 'adb devices' was necessary to check - if I had known that, I might have spent a fraction of the time fighting with it...

Been out all day but spent the last couple of hours on it again. Doesn't matter how I approach installation the device is locking on the bootloader. When I run ADB devices it finds the phone, as soon as I run the ..bat file to flash recovery it hangs on the Andriod screen. These drivers are still not right in my veiw or my PC/Cable is us!

Guest Skate Away

Been out all day but spent the last couple of hours on it again. Doesn't matter how I approach installation the device is locking on the bootloader. When I run ADB devices it finds the phone, as soon as I run the ..bat file to flash recovery it hangs on the Andriod screen. These drivers are still not right in my veiw or my PC/Cable is us!

Have you got 'USB debugging' on ?

Have you screamed "Nothing should be this difficult" loud enough to upset the neighbours, yet ?

Edited by Skate Away

Guest Coffer52

Yep, USB debugging is on. Last night using the ZTE ADB composite Interface I managed to get ADB working to the extent that is finding my phone got through running the fash recovery .bat phase but when I go into FTM mode with the battery out and cable connected it fails to fuind the device, so I cant make a backup of the MAC address, stuck, again!! Went out and got a new USB cable this morning but no change. On a postive note ADB is working in debugging mode but now not in FTM mode.

Guest Skate Away

Yep, USB debugging is on. Last night using the ZTE ADB composite Interface I managed to get ADB working to the extent that is finding my phone got through running the fash recovery .bat phase but when I go into FTM mode with the battery out and cable connected it fails to fuind the device, so I cant make a backup of the MAC address, stuck, again!! Went out and got a new USB cable this morning but no change. On a postive note ADB is working in debugging mode but now not in FTM mode.

It might be that the USB cable isn't providing enough power.

Rightly or wrongly, I didn't remove the battery when I did it.

Also, I found it VERY difficult to know when the battery was supposed to be in, when it was supposed to be out and exactly when you were supposed to remove or replace it.

I feel the guide could be a LOT clearer on this...

ie.. adding (remove battery now) (replace battery now) inserted in the relevant places

an explanation of why the battery has to be out in the guide would also be very welcome....

Guest Coffer52

Dibbles, you are a god send, for the those who have been following my boring trials and tribulations with the drivers got to here http://android.modac...te/page__st__40 dibbles post 44 I removed all the drivers and just followed this (very simple it seems now) instruction and bingo, connected unlocked, CWM and new ROM in 25 mins!! God I've aged 20 years in the last three days! Thanks all for your help and have a Merry Christmas, I'm off to get drunk!!

Guest kazoooo

I was having issues with my XP machine detecting/installing the device in bootloader mode.

My error was I followed instructions to insert the additional inf parameters manually rather than use the replacement file. There are actually 2 sections in the inf that need to be changed.

Try the supplied file rather than edit if you haven't done so already!

Guest TouchyAndalou
Basically there are two kinds of Windows drivers for Skate. One is an executable file from ZTE, named Handset_USB_Driver.exe. This file will appear in a virtual CDROM which is automatically mounted the first time you connect your phone to a PC (as long as your phone still got the stock firmware on). I also uploaded the driver to http://www.multiupload.com/BQ7VQOQA4L . Since it’s an exe file, you just need to run it and the driver will be automatically installed. Once you installed it, your phone should be able to work in normal mode and FTM mode.

Hi xiaoyaoswim. I'm having real diificulties trying to install the drivers from Handset_USB_Driver.exe. I keep getting a message saying "you have installed a higher version application, the application will exit" and it just closes. Do you have any idea how I can get around this? I'm lost. Thanks.

Guest xiaoyaoswim

Hi xiaoyaoswim. I'm having real diificulties trying to install the drivers from Handset_USB_Driver.exe. I keep getting a message saying "you have installed a higher version application, the application will exit" and it just closes. Do you have any idea how I can get around this? I'm lost. Thanks.

Hi,I just read your topic. I think it's normal to see the warning when you restored the qcn file at 100%, that is because the phone was rebooted into normal mode and QPST could only communicate with your phone in FTM mode. But everything should be working since the restore process was actually finished. You can check your wifi to see whether the restoration was successfully done.

As to the driver, you probably installed Google SDK driver when connected your phone in normal mode and it is newer than the ZTE one. Can you try to manually install Google inf driver again as describled in first post when you stuck at 'waiting for device' and the new hardware wizard pops up?

Guest TouchyAndalou

Hi,I just read your topic. I think it's normal to see the warning when you restored the qcn file at 100%, that is because the phone was rebooted into normal mode and QPST could only communicate with your phone in FTM mode. But everything should be working since the restore process was actually finished. You can check your wifi to see whether the restoration was successfully done.

As to the driver, you probably installed Google SDK driver when connected your phone in normal mode and it is newer than the ZTE one. Can you try to manually install Google inf driver again as describled in first post when you stuck at 'waiting for device' and the new hardware wizard pops up?

Thanks for your reply. I have most of it working now I think - rooted and recovery installed. I found a post where somebody said they managed it by using the Blade drivers, and that seemed to do the trick.

One problem I'm still having however is in QPST, I can't bring up the port for my phone. Usually when I go to configuration and click on add new port, two options come up, but now I'm only getting the one option: "COM1 - Serial" It's the other one I need, but for some reason it's no longer showing up?

Guest jojozep

Trying to unlock OMC and when running install-recovery-windows.bat get the green android on mobile and DOS box say waiting for device.

Have searched around it the suggestion is to install the GOOGLE drivers. Have downloaded drivers and made Windows XP .inf changes but when I try to 'Update Drivers' and point the location to the android_winusb.inf directory it says 'Cannot Install Driver'.

Also, when I plug in phone keep getting 'Select Language' Welcome to Handset USB Driver Setup Wizard.

Any tips on getting drivers sorted out ?

Thanks in advance.

Guest Atomix86
Trying to unlock OMC and when running install-recovery-windows.bat get the green android on mobile and DOS box say waiting for device.

Have searched around it the suggestion is to install the GOOGLE drivers. Have downloaded drivers and made Windows XP .inf changes but when I try to 'Update Drivers' and point the location to the android_winusb.inf directory it says 'Cannot Install Driver'.

Also, when I plug in phone keep getting 'Select Language' Welcome to Handset USB Driver Setup Wizard.

Any tips on getting drivers sorted out ?

Thanks in advance.

Have you installed the handset USB driver? If so, you now need to go into "my computer" and eject the cd drive it creates upon connecting the phone.

Guest jojozep

Have you installed the handset USB driver? If so, you now need to go into "my computer" and eject the cd drive it creates upon connecting the phone.

I've installed Handset USB Driver. Note 'as is'. I say this as there seems to be a XP specific problem with android_winusb.inf.

I'm using XP and when I try to update/install XP Driver I get Device Manager messages like 'Cannot Install Driver' 'Cannot Install Hardware'.

You mention Eject the 'CD Drive' it creates. I don't get a 'CD Drive' created but I do get a Dirve I: (see below).

From Device Manager I DO NOT get any ? or X showing a problem with any device.

Device Manager entries - Without Phone

* Disk Drives - x4 - Generic USB + x2 - Seagate Drives

* DVD/CD - x1 - Pioneer

Note that when phone is inserted (comes up with Removable Disk drive I:) and try to access drive I: a message box appears saying 'Please insert a disk in Drive I:'

Device Manager entries - With Phone shows added items.

* ADB Interface / Handset ADB Interface (provider Google)

* Disk Drives - Handset Mass storage USB Device (provider MS)

* DVD/CD - No drives added

* Modems - Handset US (provider ZTE)

Thanks for your interest.

Guest silverblack

I had problems with this too didnt seem to matter what drivers i tried to install on Win7 64bit.

Was on the verge of trying another PC but gave it one last try and it worked.

That was just trying to unlock it had the same problem all over again when trying to install clockwork recovery.

• 1 month later...
Guest thewoodler

Hi,

I'm on Vista, 32bit, which hasn't been described so far.

I'm having the same driver incompatibility error, when I overwrite the inf file with the one attached, or try and make the additions myself.

Does anyone have any ideas?

FYI, I've got an Intel Celeron processor...

Thanks!

I thought the Google SDK driver could be installed for Skatein bootloader mode under a WinXP environment but I was wrong. Today I had a try myself in WinXP 32bit and found the “the driver doesn’t fit” error. Thanks to dadcore for pointing out that the driver info for Skate needs to be added manually. I added following section into android_winusb.inf as dadcore suggested and the driver now can be successfully installed.

;ZTE Skate

%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_D00D

%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_D00D&MI_01

You can download the modified file for WIndows XP in attachment.android_winusb_Skate_WinXP.zip

Edited by thewoodler

Guest xiaoyaoswim

Hi,

I'm on Vista, 32bit, which hasn't been described so far.

I'm having the same driver incompatibility error, when I overwrite the inf file with the one attached, or try and make the additions myself.

Does anyone have any ideas?

FYI, I've got an Intel Celeron processor...

Thanks!

I think theoretically in VIsta you can use the same driver as in Win 7. But I don't have a pc running Vista to confirm that. Also you may try to find the driver automatically through Windows Update.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sonofignorance

PLEASE HELP. I've been trying to install clockworkmod now for about 9 hours and I still can't install the google usb driver. I'm running win7 64bit. I've tried a different lead and usb port but no luck. I've already unlocked it. I just doesn't want to install the driver. It says " system can not find file specified" or "incompatibility" 

Edited by sonofignorance

Guest zdattadea

I'm having problems, too, but the link to the drivers doesn't work.

Could you repost, please, or does anyone else know where i can get the drivers?

EDIT:

It's OK, I worked it all out (feel a bit stupid actually - I had checked Windows Firewall was off, but completely forgot about Kaspersky...)

The drivers that came on the phone's SD card worked fine

All unlocked, rooted, ROMed-up!! Yay!

Thanks to all you devs out there for this brilliant work

Edited by zdattadea

• 1 month later...