• Announcements

• Reminder - MoDaCo position on illegal content   07/30/15

ILLEGAL CONTENT I'd like to just reaffirm MoDaCo's position regarding piracy and illegal content in the light of some recent questions / postings. Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if the contain or link to: Illegal / pirated / cracked software or sites that host such softwareNintendo emulators / ROMs or sites hosting them (in light of Nintendo's legal stance)CUSTOM ROMS You may discuss and post links to custom device ROMs on MoDaCo, provided the following rules are adhered to: ROMs must not contain any illegal 3rd party software (this includes trial versions included without permission)ROMs must give full credit to the original authorISSUES If you have any issues with this policy, please contact PaulOBrien directly via PM.
    • Reminder: Selling items on the forum directly is not allowed   07/30/15

Please note that selling items on the forum directly is not allowed by the forum rules. There is a forum for eBay auctions whereby you can list the items on eBay and link to them there. This is the ONLY forum for this type of activity. You may also advertise links to the eBay forum in your signature. Please note that selling directly in contravention of these rules will result in a warning / suspension / ban.

30 Nov: UI patches (LHS / RHS / Both / Search Button / When Hidden)

87 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

This is now included in my MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Galaxy Nexus - details.

Following on from my earlier 'left hand' patch, I now have a full set of UI patches for the Galaxy Nexus. These patches change the behaviour of the legacy menu button. Options are:

• Show legacy menu button on both sides
  • Show legacy menu button on both sides and keep them active even when not visible
  • Show legacy menu button on both sides and show a search button
  • Show legacy menu button on both sides, keep them active even when not visible and show a search button
  • Show legacy menu button the left hand side
  • Show legacy menu button the left hand side and keep it active even when not visible
  • Show legacy menu button the right hand side
  • Show legacy menu button the right hand side and keep it active even when not visible
    I'm now using both sides always active with search button personally!

Here is the both sides with search button version in operation...

Before:

rightdots.png

After:

Screenshot_2011-11-22-13-17-33.pngScreenshot_2011-11-22-13-17-37.png

If you'd like to try it out, simply flash the appropriate update zip from below using ClockworkMod Recovery.

This is only tested on a device running the I9250XXKK1 / ITL41D ROM.

Downloads:

• Both sides - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: 289e77604ee75e7acb2809523c7bb9d7
    • Both sides + menu button active when not visible - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: 7cff9ce3273f5ca7224a5e23e9711044
    • Both sides with search - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: 5234e7499953b1cb8276ce7692386351
    • Both sides with search + menu button active when not visible - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: 0dd211d46752d69ad180e43a4cf1d21a
    • Left hand side - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: 70f432f51b232879dabc109ba56a27e3
    • Left hand side + menu button active when not visible - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: 4d53e0f9fa491e32c7724b5e5bb89323
    • Right hand side - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: 87d3b14039a9b5c367b4dcf05207cde3
    • Right hand side + menu button active when not visible - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: 35a9ecdbd729a8cf39b112ed614ef5ee
    • P

Posted · Report post

Weirdly, I find this more comfortable when using it right handed too. Go figure!

P

Posted · Report post

Is this updated to the one with a menu button on either side that you tweeted?

If not, can you post that too please? :-)

Posted · Report post

It's not, but I will post that (and some others). ;)

P

Posted · Report post

Additional options added! :)

P

Posted · Report post

Does this restore access to the Facebook app's Settings, so I can turn off the damn notifications?

With stock it shows no legacy menu button, but also has no new-style menu button/way to access Settings. Very frustrating.

Posted · Report post

adb shell cat /system/app/SystemUI.apk>/sdcard/SystemUI.backup.apk

The system cannot find the path specified.

Posted · Report post

Does this restore access to the Facebook app's Settings, so I can turn off the damn notifications?

With stock it shows no legacy menu button, but also has no new-style menu button/way to access Settings. Very frustrating.

Yes, if you use an 'always on' version. :)

P

Posted (edited) · Report post

Any help with the above error, would love to add this to the phone.

Edited by rockbmi

Posted · Report post

Do you actually have ADB on your machine?

P

Posted · Report post

Do you actually have ADB on your machine?

P

Yeah, adb devices brings up my galaxy nexus, i have also installed your insecure boot image.

Yeah, adb devices brings up my galaxy nexus, i have also installed your insecure boot image.

Try putting the bit after shell in speech marks.

e.g. $ adb shell "cat /system/app/SystemUI.apk>/sdcard/SystemUI.backup.apk"

Edited by Rik Brown

Posted · Report post

Try putting the bit after shell in speech marks.

e.g. $ adb shell "cat /system/app/SystemUI.apk>/sdcard/SystemUI.backup.apk"

Worked a treat, thanks. Why did I have to do that though.

Posted · Report post

Worked a treat, thanks. Why did I have to do that though.

Your shell was assuming the ">" was a redirect for itself, not one to pass through to your Android device's shell. Hence it was looking for a /sdcard/ on *your* computer, not your phone. The quotes tell your shell to pass everything inside them through to the adb shell.

I can only assume this behavior is slightly different on different shells. For example, I'm using bash on OS X and had to quote it. Potentially on Windows or Linux that ">" is passed through.

Posted · Report post

Updated!

All mods reworked, added search button version!

P

Posted · Report post

I'll change these to clockworkmod zips when CWM is ready...

P

Posted · Report post

can i rearrange the keys as i please? i dont want to bother, but i would like em to be as my Nexus One, Back-Menu-Home-Search

Posted · Report post

can i rearrange the keys as i please? i dont want to bother, but i would like em to be as my Nexus One, Back-Menu-Home-Search

And the open apps button? It probably makes sense to keep the (smaller and not always displayed) menu buttons at the edges no?

P

Posted · Report post

And the open apps button? It probably makes sense to keep the (smaller and not always displayed) menu buttons at the edges no?

P

oh forgot about the dedicated open apps button... if it's possible to shift places, open apps could be at the edges, but i was wondering about the main buttons if they can be rearranged

Posted · Report post

Couple of questions. And before i ask, love the work being done! Okay first question, does the search button have voice search capabilities if held down? Second question any chance anyone feels like making a YouTube with this mod being used? Thanks, keep up the great work!

Posted · Report post

The search button works in the YouTube app but no, no press-hold functionality yet.

P

Im getting operation not permitted on the mount step, any ideas why? Im on Windows 7, have your r2 superboot installed...

Running: C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell mount -o remount,rw /system

mount: Operation not permitted

S

Edited by TheBishopOfSoho

Posted · Report post

You should have my 'insecure boot image' installed in order to use this patch. You install this at your own risk.

Posted · Report post

Great, all done and working great, nice work and thanks for your help Paul!