"T-Mobile Vivacity is a repainted OSF2"

Guest The Soup Thief

Guest The Soup Thief

This is interesting - I've just seen a story on Tech-radar referring to the T-Mobile vivacity, a ZTE made device with very different looks but very similar specs to the OSF2

Googled it and came up with this link to a report on C-Net UK claiming that they actually have the same internals

It might make some sense, considering that Orange and T-Mobile are now Everything Everywhere, that they should both have an arrangement with ZTE around the same hardware - different shells to differentiate them in the marketplace perhaps

Anyway, just thought you might be interested

Word is the Vivacity will be 99 quid and will come with Gingerbread

Sorry if this is old news

EDIT - this link suggests it will have a front facing camera. Do we know that the OSF2 definitely doesn't? And actually I just noticed it has a front search button. Also it looks a bit like an iPhone 4, if your eyes don't happen to be working well, which may appeal to (or confuse) some. Cheap route to iPhoolery might be get one of these and stick a Muuuuuiiiuiuiuuuiii theme on it....

Edited by The Soup Thief

Guest The Soup Thief

zte support site states blade II orange san francisco t-mobile vivacity kernel source

Crikey! ZTE really is taking over then!

Just noticed one preview claiming it runs at 600mhz, while I assumed it would be 800mhz if same as blade II / OSF2

That must be wrong though, if they have the same kernel (which plainly they do, in the light of your scoop!)

Am more than a little intrigued by the front camera (which might be present) and the extra button (which plainly is) - presumably a single kernel could accommodate these hardware variations?

Guest todoleo

I can confirm this. I bought a T-Mobile Vivacity this morning and it has all the same hardware as the OSF II. The main difference is the 4 capacitive buttons on the front of the device as opposed to the three physical ones on the OSF II.

Lets not forget that Orange and T-Mobile are the same company (Everything Everywhere), and probably negotiated a heavy discount for two network branded phones.

So far I like the T-Mobile Vivacity, as there is very little brand customisation. It is vanilla Gingerbread and only has a few T-Mobile apps added to it.#

My full Preview will be on http://todoleo.com tonight.

Guest The Soup Thief

I can confirm this. I bought a T-Mobile Vivacity this morning and it has all the same hardware as the OSF II. The main difference is the 4 capacitive buttons on the front of the device as opposed to the three physical ones on the OSF II.

Lets not forget that Orange and T-Mobile are the same company (Everything Everywhere), and probably negotiated a heavy discount for two network branded phones.

So far I like the T-Mobile Vivacity, as there is very little brand customisation. It is vanilla Gingerbread and only has a few T-Mobile apps added to it.#

My full Preview will be on http://todoleo.com tonight.

Capacitive buttons! Nice :)

Also todoleo, does it have a front camera?

You don't fancy risking screwing your new phone by trying some ninja sim-unlock moves on it do ya? ;)

Any guesses as to its clockspeed? Don't spose you can SetCPU with it not rooted, but perhaps you can run Quandrant to get Benchmark speeds of your stock Vivacity for comparison with a stock Blade to give a rough idea as to whether there's a different processor. Second thoughts, probably no point since you will have a newer kernel and OS. Anyone know any smarter way of working out what brain's inside todoleo's new phone?

Guest todoleo

Capacitive buttons! Nice :)

Also todoleo, does it have a front camera?

You don't fancy risking screwing your new phone by trying some ninja sim-unlock moves on it do ya? ;)

Any guesses as to its clockspeed? Don't spose you can SetCPU with it not rooted, but perhaps you can run Quandrant to get Benchmark speeds of your stock Vivacity for comparison with a stock Blade to give a rough idea as to whether there's a different processor. Second thoughts, probably no point since you will have a newer kernel and OS. Anyone know any smarter way of working out what brain's inside todoleo's new phone?

There is definitely a front facing camera on the hardware. I haven't got round to trying it yet. I'm hoping the OSF II, the OMC and the Vivacity are similar and will have similar unlock processes. I'll run quadrant and post the results in a moment.

Guest Sebastian404

I picked up a OSF2 this morning and tried to get a Vivacity, but it whould seem TMobiles stock system is not as good as oranges.. I might try one of the bigger stores on the way home tonight

Guest todoleo

I can confirm that there is a functioning front facing camera. There is a switch camera option in the menu. When selected you see yourself (or the ceiling...) :-)

Guest The Soup Thief

@Sebastian404 - I think I may owe you an apology - somewhere in the sprawl that is modaco the other after you suggested that the ZTE Avail was the same as the SF2 I said it couldn't possibly be the same since it looks so different

looks like it might be the same phone in another's clothing afterall!

Will be really interested to hear what you make of these two when you get to grips with them

EDIT

w00t! Front camera too! Hundred quid! Bargain! Now, if you can give me a cast iron guarantee that it's running at 800mhz I'll get altogether too excited for my own good

Edited by The Soup Thief

Guest todoleo

Android 2.3.5 GRJ22

Device: T-Mobile Vivacity

Product: P736E

Board: blade2

Brand: ZTE

CPU: ARMv6-compatible processor rev 5 (v6l)

Max freq.: 800 MHz

Min freq.: 122.88

Cores: 1

Adreno 200 GPU

Guest todoleo

@Sebastian404 - I think I may owe you an apology - somewhere in the sprawl that is modaco the other after you suggested that the ZTE Avail was the same as the SF2 I said it couldn't possibly be the same since it looks so different

Will be really interested to hear what you make of these two when you get to grips with them

EDIT

w00t! Front camera too! Hundred quid! Bargain! Now, if you can give me a cast iron guarantee that it's running at 800mhz I'll get altogether too excited for my own good

Cast iron guarantee it is an 800 MHz processor. Quadrant result puts it between the Samsung Galaxy S and the Moto Droid X with a score of 985!

Guest The Soup Thief

Cast iron guarantee it is an 800 MHz processor. Quadrant result puts it between the Samsung Galaxy S and the Moto Droid X with a score of 985!

Schweet! Will look forward to your review later on

That looks like my Christmas shopping sorted. ZTE phones all round :D - again. There were one or two people I didn't get Blades for last year! ;)

Edit - Just noticed, the crescent (in its various guises) now has its own section of Modaco!

ZTE's section will be the size of HTC's before too long...

Edited by The Soup Thief

Guest Sebastian404

I'm now starting to wonder myself, it's very confusing... ZTE seem to have more boards on the go than they need, all very simular

Guest The Soup Thief

I'm now starting to wonder myself, it's very confusing... ZTE seem to have more boards on the go than they need, all very simular

Not sure - if the OSF2 and the Vivacity are the same thing (Crescent) with different clothing then it kinda makes sense for them to be grouped together. Since you [may by now] have one of each you will be well placed to tell us how compatible they are

The Blade / Libra are the same (or very similar) animals but AFAIK different enough to warrant different boards, similarly the Skate, the Racer and the Tureis

Guest Sebastian404

Not sure - if the OSF2 and the Vivacity are the same thing (Crescent) with different clothing then it kinda makes sense for them to be grouped together. Since you [may by now] have one of each you will be well placed to tell us how compatible they are

The Blade / Libra are the same (or very similar) animals but AFAIK different enough to warrant different boards, similarly the Skate, the Racer and the Tureis

I'm not sure where this Crescent name came from, the board name on the device is 'blade2' and that's what ZTE list the kernel as.....

I've only got the osf2, I'll try and get a vivacity later today none of the local store to me have stock

Guest todoleo

Schweet! Will look forward to your review later on

That looks like my Christmas shopping sorted. ZTE phones all round :D - again. There were one or two people I didn't get Blades for last year! ;)

Edit - Just noticed, the crescent (in its various guises) now has its own section of Modaco!

ZTE's section will be the size of HTC's before too long...

Excellent! I tweeted @karucifer and either Paul/Fibblesan/Karucifer moved things! Things are going to move fast in this forum methinks!

Guest unrandomsam

You are definitely better with the Tmobile one (Especially if its a phone just to mess with) due to the 6 months free internet.

unbranded rom shouldn't be too difficult to get.

No reason imho to buy the Orange branded one.

Might as well get a monte carlo or this tmobile one.

(Good to have a physical search button also).

Guest Simon O

The ZTE Crescent name was floating around before the San Francisco II was announced. I personally believe this was the rumoured Blade II that Sean talked about on the forum some months ago before ZTE rebranded it as the Crescent. So Crescent/BladeII/SanFranII/Vivacity.. all the same.

We'll leave the forum as Crescent for now.

Guest The Soup Thief

You are definitely better with the Tmobile one (Especially if its a phone just to mess with) due to the 6 months free internet.

unbranded rom shouldn't be too difficult to get.

No reason imho to buy the Orange branded one.

Might as well get a monte carlo or this tmobile one.

(Good to have a physical search button also).

That's just it - same price and similar specs (aside from screen size) btwn this and the Skate / OMC

The only difference I can see really is the front camera and capacitive buttons on this versus a bigger screen on the Skate / OMC

Guest unrandomsam

Its probably a good way of getting around exclusivity agreements

Guest Sebastian404

My Contact at EE told me the Vivacity was a 'Shanzhai iPhone4', and my god he is right, it is identical shape and size to a real iphone 4, only slighty thicker.. and feels like its made out of tin...

Guest The Soup Thief

My Contact at EE told me the Vivacity was a 'Shanzhai iPhone4', and my god he is right, it is identical shape and size to a real iphone 4, only slighty thicker.. and feels like its made out of tin...

D'you know, when I first saw it it really reminded me of an Android iphone KIRF I saw a pic of about six months ago

todoleo said earlier that he had bought one and was gonna put a review up on his site - www.todoleo.com

Nothing there yet but I'll keep checking