Galaxy Nexus Battery Drain Issues?

Guest Nitroz

Hey All,

I usually don't post this sort of stuff until I have my facts right and I believe that I'm doing everything right to prevent the drainage.

So, let me explain.

I'm currently running the stock ICS 4.0.1. and considering moving to the MoDaCo custom ROM that Paul kindly made.

But I've noticed that from a full charge, and i go to sleep overnight that my battery drains to about 79% when I wake up 6 hours later, all I'm doing is setting an alarm for the following morning.

Here's the weird thing, I looked in the battery graph that shows the behaviour of the battery, and it seems my phone is ALWAYS awake, and my screen on time its just a little spec on this graph whereas the awake time is taking up 3 quarters. I had no apps running when I went to sleep, my screen is on full brightness using Paul's auto-brightness fix.

This has happened 2 days in a row, I'm wondering, is it just me or are the other people using the Nexus having this problem?

Let me know.

Right, I bought BetterBatteryStats and i can't see anything that causing it. Paul, if I post screenshots from my perspective on BBS (Better Battery Stats) can you tell me whats wrong etc.?

Guest Stevie B

I too am having battery problems and can not see any apps causing it.

Last night I fully charged the battery and monitored the hourly usage (sad), which was mainly idle (WIFI off but radio on). At idle the phone is using just over 4% per hour which in my opinion is way too high. What I did after that was interesting though; I put the phone in to flight mode (turning off radios), and the hourly usage dropped to about 2%. I left it for a few hours and when I turned the phone on the battery was at 49%. Now I turned the radio on, still with WIFI off and the phone ate the battery. It drained down to 12% (37% used) in about three hours and all it was doing was sitting on my desk.

So in short I think it's the radio that's the high user. This wasn't scientific by any means but I aim to repeat the test tonight/tomorrow

I too am having battery problems and can not see any apps causing it.

Last night I fully charged the battery and monitored the hourly usage (sad), which was mainly idle (WIFI off but radio on). At idle the phone is using just over 4% per hour which in my opinion is way too high. What I did after that was interesting though; I put the phone in to flight mode (turning off radios), and the hourly usage dropped to about 2%. I left it for a few hours and when I turned the phone on the battery was at 49%. Now I turned the radio on, still with WIFI off and the phone ate the battery. It drained down to 12% (37% used) in about three hours and all it was doing was sitting on my desk.

So in short I think it's the radio that's the high user. This wasn't scientific by any means but I aim to repeat the test tonight/tomorrow

Let me know how it goes. I'm eager to find out.

I have noticed the battery can be quick to drain. To be honest ever since getting a smart phone a few years back they have been on charge every night. Just started using juice defender and seem to have a good amount of battery left today. I was using the satnav in the car so had it plugged in but will avoid that tomorrow so it's on battery all day and see how it goes.

I installed Juice Defender (Standard Edition) last night from full charge, over night I lost 6% battery, it seems it was my 3G that was causing drainage.

I must say, Juice Defender is a great app and saves ALOT of battery. I've been playing World of Goo for 2 hours and my battery is still at 70%

Guest Chris Jenx

It wouldn't surprise me the radio has a higher consumption (and that there is interference issues) I get much better signal with the GN, than my old N1 so probably a higher output on the radio chip.

Also what you may notice (or at least I have) is that the radio will swap between 3G and HSDPA on the fly. Now i thought this is more battery friendly, but someone at work informed me that it will drain the battery more as it switches.. which I didn't think was the case as I thought they run on the same frequency?

Cheers all!

Guest Stevie B

OK - second lot of stats

Phone idle over night i.e. aircraft mode all radios off = approx 2.3% per hour

Radio on (no WIFI) = approx 7% per hour

Again sitting on my desk doing nothing, not moving the phone around so the signal shouldn't be switching (shows H)

IMO the radio is sucking juice...

the phone has a 1750mA battery, the phone is using 2.3% @ idle = approx 40.5mA per hour

the radio (no WIFI) alone is using 4.7% = approx 83mA per hour

No wonder the battery life is poor - I hope some alternative radios will be available for us to flash soon, but it's not just the radio; the idle state is consuming battery too. Does anybody know if both cores run at idle?

I realise there are services running in the background and I do have sync on but this never hurt my previous phones (HTC DESIRE and HTC HERO).

I will do some more testing with 2G only

Did a bit of testing today. Unplugged the phone from charger at 6.30 am after being on charge all night (habit) Use as mp3 player in the car for 3 hours, browsed the web for about an hour in total over 3g mainly, made calls for about 20 mins using bluetooth headset then general messaging and stuff.

battery is still at 47% I credit Juice defender with this. 12 hours since being unplugged and the only complaint I have is google maps using 6% apparently when I haven't even open maps today.

Well worth a go. I'm using the plus version that is £1.99

Guest Stevie B

100% charge last night at 22:00 - 2G only (no WIFI) left on over night. 08:00 this morning (10 hours idle) battery @ 25%

I've checked and checked all apps - nothing is hogging time, the phone is not awake...

75% used in ten hours (7.5% per hour), on idle - it's just not good - there has to be something wrong with the radio

Guest Stevie B

Well, thanks to Juice Defender Plus my battery loses 5% battery overnight which was average on my SGSII.

I can now last more than a day on battery! :D

I guess I'm going to have to try the app then - thx

Guest danbrown162

I have also found the battery life to be less than desirable. I've noticed the radio flicks from 3g to H alot where as on my desire it would rarely switch to 3G and would remain a solid H. I believe this has something todo with the drain discussed.

Guest Stevie B

Last night I installed Pauls latest ir4 rom and wiped y phone - Battery performance has improved imensly - 15hrs for 49% and thats with wifi on and off throughout the day, 3G on all day, bluetooth for a short time, emails, texting and even the odd phone call - just what a smartphone should be doing. So end of saga for me - phew ;)

Guest geovass

Well, thanks to Juice Defender Plus my battery loses 5% battery overnight which was average on my SGSII.

I can now last more than a day on battery! :D

Hi, what Profile did you use?

Guest clefster

I have also found the battery life to be less than desirable. I've noticed the radio flicks from 3g to H alot where as on my desire it would rarely switch to 3G and would remain a solid H. I believe this has something todo with the drain discussed.

H mode uses more battery, and uses limited resources on your providers phone tower (there's only a small number of H slots). Switching temporarily into H while you need high performance is the correct behaviour. If your phone stayed in H all the time the battery wouldn't last very long. The only change in behaviour you could do here to save battery is to disable HSDPA altogether at the cost of performance.

Guest Inquitus

I am finding battery life pretty good. I have it set to Airplane mode from midnight to 7am, wifi only on where there's wifi, and brightness set to 70%. This has been a period of relatively light use by my standards, but my old HTC Sensation have been long long dead by now.

Screenshot_2011-12-03-12-58-05.png

Guest kenshinhimura

I am finding battery life pretty good. I have it set to Airplane mode from midnight to 7am, wifi only on where there's wifi, and brightness set to 70%. This has been a period of relatively light use by my standards, but my old HTC Sensation have been long long dead by now.

Screenshot_2011-12-03-12-58-05.png

I wonder if it is due to fast dormany issue thats plauging galaxy s2 too. I tried to use the same mmi code from s2 to nexus but its not compatible. Does anyone know the secret codes in nexus?

Guest chowdarygm

Can anyone check my below screenshots and tell what's wrong with Android os thing running for 3.5 hours and gallery taking so much data. I don't see any wake locks on better battery stats app I am running ir4

post-690631-132303100393_thumb.png

post-690631-132303101743_thumb.png

post-690631-132303102831_thumb.png

Edited by chowdarygm