Thinking of getting a GN

Guest EddyOS

This is a serious question as I have my upgrade due beginning of the new year and have been seriously considering the GN - especially as the volume fix is now released as I'm on Vodafone.

However, I've held the dummy phone in Phones4U and it does seem large. I currently have an HTC Sensation and was glad that the GN is the same width but the extra height is something to consider. I'm not a small man, either, but it is getting a bit ridiculous!!

Basically I'm wanting to know if it really is such a huge leap from Android 2.3 or whether it's worth waiting to see what the likes of HTC, Samsung & LG release in the coming months. I'm seriously itching to get something new to play with but I've always found stock Android somewhat lacking in the looks department

Edited by EddyOS

Guest declanc

I had the SGS2 and switched to the GN as soon as it came available here in Ireland last week. To be honest, hardware-wise I don't see much / any difference (slightly larger screen but you don't get any real benefit). ICS is nice. I changed simply for the "shiny" factor ( am a sucker for that).

Except that I had a free upgrade path via my brother I would not have bothered. SGS2 would have had ICS via custom rom very soon, offical rom after Christmas sometime anyways. MCR ICS would have given me all I ever wanted.

Waiting for something else ? Dunno what will ever have the "wow factor" that SGS2 had (previously), or the GN has now (if you didn't have a SGS2 before).

Quad cores etc coming after Christmas, but I really cant see the need for them

Cheers for the reply, Paul. I trust your judgement and the fact you've already got the custom ROM means at least I'd have an option of making my own ROM (would prefer the source, though ;) )

I've had HTC phones for a few years now (HD2, Desire, Sensation) and I do like Sense but it does seem that they're losing their way a little and it would be nice having a flagship Google phone for once...I'll need to use one 'in the metal' first but I may very well go for the GN

You have the source... AOSP! I'm starting to play with making my changes via AOSP on the GN, so I may well fork some sources.

The only thing I'm NOT 100% happy with on the GN is the camera, it's for sure a step down from the GSII...

P

I meant as in a 'stock ROM' to use in the Android Kitchen - I don't know how to code Android from AOSP!! :D

I don't use the camera much in any smartphone (I have - wait for it - a camera for that!!) but it would be nice to have something better. Something to bare in mind...

Guest Inquitus

I am on Vodafone Ireland, my contract expired in Sep-11. I had a HTC Sensation courtesy of my wifes upgrade that I nabbed in Jun-11. Intially I wasn't going to upgrade as I was of the view the GN wasn't much of an upgrade to the SGS2 or Sensation. Once I got my hands on it instore I changed my mind. The screen is gorgeous, the phone feels great, and performs excellently.

Granted alot of the shineyness is due to ICS, but I feel the GN doesn't feel too big despite the whopping screen and its a wonderful phone. I gave the Sensation to my wife, and to be honest its hard to give you the right answer to this until i see ICS on her phone in Jan. But if your upgrade is due, I'd go for it rather than wait til the middle fo 2012 for the SGS3 and co.

Inq

This is the kind of response I wanted. I've had my Sensation since launch having won it from Vodafone so it's my original upgrade date that's coming up. I need to have a go with one for real but I think I'm definitely looking to get the GN.

Thanks for the input, I'll be keeping my Sensation until 4.0 is released on it and then I can make a proper comparison.

Guest Andi Desire

I'd definitely recommend getting one, I've had the GN from just after launch and glad I did. Came from having two HTC Phones previously and I dont miss sense anywhere near as much as I thought I would. Screen doesn't seem massive, or too big. Just seems to be about right, doubt i'd go any bigger. Plastic build is the only minor negative. But runs like a dream and happy I decided to upgrade rather than wait for the SG3

One last question for those coming from HTC Android devices: Do you miss the Sense widgets?

I use the People widget for my favourite contacts and the clock widget and I do think I'll miss it on the GN. I know Beautiful Widgets is available but it's not the same!!

Otherwise I just use the Facebook/Twitter widgets - I only use 3 screens in Sense (it's nice to be able to disable the unused ones in Sense 3.5)

Guest Inquitus

Fancy Widget knocked off the Sense clock until HTC slapped them about it. The apk is freely available, and I have it on my GN. Sample pic of Fancy Widget below.

FancyWidget.jpg

Personally I miss the Friend Stream widget from Sense the most, though ICS has brought scrollable widgets to the default launcher I dont think devs have had time to harness it yet, so I would expect quality scrollable HTCeque widgets to arrive in due course even if they are not available quite yet.

Inq

Edited by Inquitus

I have the Fancy Widget apk but it doesn't size correctly on the Sensation. Can you drag it to fill space on the GN? If so, I'm sorted! :D

Any chance of a shot of it on your GN?

Edited by EddyOS

Thanks guys. If I can see a shot of Fancy Widget looking nice I'm all but sold. Facebook contact picture sync is the only other thing on my mind but no doubt Paul can sort that one out ;)

Spot on mate, thanks! :D

Any resizing needed? Also, which version of FW is that? I've got 1.3.0 (the last one before it was taken off the Market)

Edited by EddyOS

Guest Inquitus

Spot on mate, thanks! :D

Any resizing needed? Also, which version of FW is that? I've got 1.3.0 (the last one before it was taken off the Market)

That's it at its natural size, it doesnt seem to be resizeable from that. Mine is 1.3.0 which is indeed the final one as far as I am aware.