[HOW TO] Rooting Unlocking and De-Branding your ZTE Crescent [Updated Now Complete]

Guest Bouncer5

Guest madjandle

I am also getting this message.... any help?

Ok so because Clockwork Mod Recovery is already up and running I guess that you just skip this step and move onto installing the ROM.

If you are still having trouble Nik I hope this helps.

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa
<br />Ok so because Clockwork Mod Recovery is already up and running I guess that you just skip this step and move onto installing the ROM.<br /><br />If you are still having trouble Nik I hope this helps.<br />

Also, just be sure to delete the caches first when you install a new rom and also install the stock kernel for your phone without restarting between installing the rom and installing the kernel.

In that same thread you posted in someone mentions two NV-xxxx files in the system folders/sub folders on the phone. Two specific files are mentioned, I think file NV_4319 txt and NV_4329.txt. (on the phone not the SD card) I used ASTRO to look at mine and they are different NV files, I think the ones mentioned were for the MC not for the San FranciscoII or the Vivacity. They said in one post ignore the MAC Address line starting # and adjust the next one to the new Mac Address. But someone else said they used the Mac Address listed in the # line and re typed it in the next Mac Address line, the same in both files.

I cannot and will not tell you to try this since the files are for a different phone and may not work with the SFII and Vivacity. But I know if I had the problem exactly what I`d be doing at this moment. Knowing if it did work its only as temporary as the next ROM change then its got to be repeated for those same files again. What you do now is up to you, think it takes Superuser access. But more details are in that thread.

http://android.modac...nlocked-now-up/

I`d be making a copy of both files too and writing or pasting the current MAC Address settings in those 2 files to an aptly named text file or two on my desktop. Just to play safe.....

Steve

Thanks for the wifi info Steve. I finally managed to get it going after checking various posts on this site. Basically the mac address was coming up as 11 22 33 44 55 66 and it couldn’t be found in any hex editor, which would have made the change more straightforward.

I have set out the following steps in the hope that it may help to give some clues to anyone having the same problem.

First download ES File Explorer from the market. You will need to go into into Settings and click (tick) on Root Explorer and also Mount File System. Then go into the main directory, which I think loads as /SDCard/. Change this to / only, to get into the system directory.

Scroll to the “etc” folder and locate the two nv_ files. My phone is a TMV so they may vary for other phones. Click on nv_4330 and open with ES editor. Find the macaddresses, there will be two.

The first one has a # before the mac address and this will be either your original address or a new one. (I found that this didn’t matter either way as I tried out both). Below this one is the dreaded 11 22 33 44 55 66 address.

Change both addresses to either your original mac address (assuming that you have it) or to the top one shown in the file if you do not. (Both worked for me). Save and close the file and then open nv_4331 and repeat procedure.

Go back to main screen, switch off, reboot and hopefully, the new mac address will be shown in: Settings, About Phone, Status, WiFi, Mac Address.

You may still get the popup “Your phone doesn’t write mac address, please confirm, but oh yes it does!

Switching on from the power button seems to stop this popping up.

As always, I would advise caution if you are not sure and get advice from more experienced people. I would only go for this method if you cant find the 11 22 33 44 55 66 in any Hex editor. (XV132 Editor seems to be the most straightforward one). Incidentally your nv files may have different numbers to mine so look through any nv files to find the ubiquitous 11 22 33 44 55 66. If all looks good use something like Titanium Backup or similar on the files after completion, as the files are a bit fiddly to change on the phone rather than PC and you don’t want to repeat unless you have to. I don’t know whether you would have to reset these files anyway if you reflash a new rom, I’m sure someone who has been there can answer. Hope this works for you.

VS5

Guest Reider59

lol I suggested that in post #273, you may have missed it. Wasn`t sure if it would work as it was originally for another phone. However, each time you change ROMS you`ll now have to repeat that trick as the NV_XXXX files change with the addition of the new ROMS. But hey ho, as long as it gets you out of a tight spot a couple of mins work doesn`t matter too much.

Steve

Hi,

When attempting to install a ROM on my OSFII, I also got "waiting for device" after carrying out the following instruction:

Now type fastboot-windows.exe flash recovery recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.5-blade2.img

I found this is becuase in ADB mode the USB VID and PID of the phone change to new values and the phone is no longer recognised by windows. So I modified the .inf file supplied with the android usb driver to include the new VID and PID values, and re-installed the driver whilst the phone was in ADB mode (phone sat with android man on screen). The driver installs okay and the above instruction then worked.

Here is the driver with the updated .inf to support OSFII in ADB mode:

http://www.multiupload.com/96DKO9T92S

Hope this helps someone with the same problem!

Elpks

Guest goliver26

Hi,

I am trying to unlock my friends TMV for her but Im having a problem. When I come to "ADD PORT" in QSPT config her phone is missing and so I can't add the COM port. I've made sure USB debugging is enabled, re-booted everything and re-installed QPST and still no phone appearing for me to add the port, any ideas what I could try next?

(p.s. thanks to everyone who made the unlocking and debranding possible, I've been using it for a few weeks now and I love it! Really looking forward to CM7/9 on the Crescent)

Is your phone connected in FTM mode?

Hi,

I am trying to unlock my friends TMV for her but Im having a problem. When I come to "ADD PORT" in QSPT config her phone is missing and so I can't add the COM port. I've made sure USB debugging is enabled, re-booted everything and re-installed QPST and still no phone appearing for me to add the port, any ideas what I could try next?

(p.s. thanks to everyone who made the unlocking and debranding possible, I've been using it for a few weeks now and I love it! Really looking forward to CM7/9 on the Crescent)

It looks like drivers are not installed correctly. I had similar problem so I had to use other PC.

I connected phone to PC in FTM mode. Drivers were installed and port assigned - in my case COM19. After that I started QPST and phone was automatically detected. So try different USB port or PC. Or maybe someone gives you better tip - I'm just newbie...

Yes, It was in FTM mode.

Guest T.E.S. - Com.

Hello,

Instuctions are great and working very well. Did it yesterday on my phone. Almost everythig is working great. i Found 1 big bug ansd 1 small one.

- big bug. I added my Exchange server as a account to sync. When i start the email app. i get "The Application Email (process com.android.email) has stopped unexpectedly. Please Try Again". Has someone else got this eroor. Please help me to fix it mail is very importend to me,

- small bug. I can't add contact to Favorites.

If anyone has the answers for those bugs please let me know.

Greetings

I had excatly same issue. I had to flash Fish&Chips ROM and everything works fine.

Hello,

Instuctions are great and working very well. Did it yesterday on my phone. Almost everythig is working great. i Found 1 big bug ansd 1 small one.

- big bug. I added my Exchange server as a account to sync. When i start the email app. i get "The Application Email (process com.android.email) has stopped unexpectedly. Please Try Again". Has someone else got this eroor. Please help me to fix it mail is very importend to me,

- small bug. I can't add contact to Favorites.

If anyone has the answers for those bugs please let me know.

Greetings

Guest T.E.S. - Com.

Hello,

What do you mean with flash Fish&chips Rom ?

Greetings

I had excatly same issue. I had to flash Fish&Chips ROM and everything works fine.

Ok so because Clockwork Mod Recovery is already up and running I guess that you just skip this step and move onto installing the ROM.

If you are still having trouble Nik I hope this helps.

Hi! I can't seem to get into clockmod recovery mode. I hold down power and volume down and only get the FTN screen? Any suggestions on what I can do?

Cheers!

Nik

Guest t.reddings

Hi! I can't seem to get into clockmod recovery mode. I hold down power and volume down and only get the FTN screen? Any suggestions on what I can do?

Cheers!

Nik

I too had this issue. Snowboard wrote in post #158

When you unlock, CWM is installed on the system partition from what I can tell. When you install a ROM, this gets erased, hence no CWM. TPT flash your phone with the 160 system, 40mb cache layout. The TPT includes CWM as part of the appropriate partition, so it will not get erased and you will be able to change rom with ease.

http://android.modac...-vivacity-tpts/

Best way to flash TPT - unarc so you have an image/ directory on your SD card, then run a ROM, go to settings / about / system upgrade and let it do it's thing. The phone will then reboot into CWM which will have been permanently installed on your phone. Flash the rom again and you are all done, with CWM permanently installed, with the added bonus of having optimised app storage space.

I have yet to do this. So I'm stuck on this ROM with no way to update until CWM is installed.

Guest Andymac1969

Any help greatly appreciated. I am running through this process, I have installed QPST, run configuration, selected COM 12, diagnostic port, and the phone shows up, when I run software download, and backup, the phone is listed on the COM port, but when I hit start the phone disconnects

Anyone any ideas?

Regards

Andrew

Guest Nicki25

Hi!

I followed the instructions and everything worked well, however I forgot to clear the Dalvik Cache. Everything seems to be working fine, however, when I try and set up my Hotmail manually in the email app it all works and I get notifications that I have emails but when I open the email app I get this message: "The application Email (processcom.android.email) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again".

Any ideas how I can fix this?

Cheers in advance.

See #288 above

Hi!

I followed the instructions and everything worked well, however I forgot to clear the Dalvik Cache. Everything seems to be working fine, however, when I try and set up my Hotmail manually in the email app it all works and I get notifications that I have emails but when I open the email app I get this message: "The application Email (processcom.android.email) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again".

Any ideas how I can fix this?

Cheers in advance.

Guest dancingdog

Hi

I'd like to thank everybody for this thread. My new SFII is now unlocked.

It seemed daunting at first, as a total beginner at smartphones and android, my advice to anybody new is to read the thread about 3 times and get the process in your head then follow through each step carefully and remember to breathe inbetween steps...

I found Arvind's doc to be very useful in expanding the steps from the initial post.

The thread says that some people have had trouble with running QPST on win7 64 bit. Mine went smoothly on 64 bit.

The only issues noticed so far (a day later) are:

1. Its only got the basic android keyboard, I was enjoying the extra choice on the Orange branded system.
  2. Much more important, after its been asleep for a while, wifi is stuck on 'disconnecting'. Clicking connect/disconnect does nothing - its greyed out. If I try to click wireless settings then 'settings' crashes. Switching off and on again and the wifi is fine.
  3. The default email app crashed after setting it up, whenever it tried to access my mailbox. I installed K9 email and this has been faultless.
Many Thanks!

Guest rayners

Hi,

Anyone else having trouble downloading any of the unlock .zip files from first post?

vivacity files in particular I require..

Regards

Edited by rayners

hi tried a dozen times yesterday to download vivacity kernal,a couple of times a message came up as site has

being forced to close by authorities,any one know where else to try for it ? help