[HOW TO] Rooting Unlocking and De-Branding your ZTE Crescent [Updated Now Complete]

Guest Bouncer5

Guest Thomas J Marshall

I can`t say if its anything else with the phone thats causing the problems, because I wasn`t there at the time. I do know one or two people have repeated the unlock and then continued from there with the ROM change. But these are usually for other reasons. Just make sure you have the original Mac Address written down correctly too. If in any doubt at all then flash stock, return the phone and look innocent and play daft. Make sure your actors union card is up to date wink.gif

Steve

Steve, just a final update and thanks for all your advice. I finally managed to flash the stock orange and returned the phone. I think they may have had a few faulty SFII's because as soon as I'd described the "symptoms" they arranged for a swap immediately. Followed all the instructions for the new phone with no problems, unlocked and working well so it looks like the unit was faulty.

One thing that did come up was windows drivers. Windows 7 seems to be picky because after installing different versions that would not work (phone not recognised) I uninstalled all drivers and let W7 update install them. That's the only way I could get the phone recognised and even after that when I plug the phone in W7 wants toinstall again. Maybe it's my setup but anyway, my new SFII is looking good! Thanks again and also to all who chipped in with help and advice. :D

Could someone re upload the files to rapidshare or another file sharing site that hasn't stopped working since all the Megaupload stuff? Thanks

Actually, WUpload works, but the only file I need (Unlock_VIVACITY.zip) is also the only file not uploaded on WUpload at the moment...

Edited by gemuuu

Could someone re upload the files to rapidshare or another file sharing site that hasn't stopped working since all the Megaupload stuff? Thanks

Actually, WUpload works, but the only file I need (Unlock_VIVACITY.zip) is also the only file not uploaded on WUpload at the moment...

Hi. Same here. Need vivacity unlock files and can't download it. Anyone? Many thanks.

Guest aequalszero

I found Arvind's doc to be very useful in expanding the steps from the initial post.

Thank you for re-posting this - pretty much saved me at the weekend as I attempted an SF2 unlock for the first time.

Used a Windows 7 x64 computer without problem. Just make sure you plug the phone in to your computer once before going into FTM mode, because you'll need to install the drivers. Using the ones that are (I assume) on the phone itself worked fine with QPST - I did have to manually run the driver installer though, Windows didn't handle that itself.

Guest Thomas J Marshall

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the TMobile Vivacity unlock procedure it worked great for me.

Just one issue I am having - not sure if anyine else has same - I cannot get any notification tone when receiving a text message on my tmobile vivacity. I have played around with settings but whatever I do it simply wont receive a message with a tone. I reloaded the stock ROM on my wifes phone to test if it worked and it did so I am wondering if this is an issue with the ROM perhaps?

Any idea would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Same here on my SFII

Guest bob1000

Hi guys,

Today I got a T-mobile Vivacity phone, my first ever andriod and I'm totally new to all this touch screen for a phone ,lol.

I have been reading lots on this forum for unlocking and rebranding,

first step I read was to:

Make note of your Wifi MAC Address on yourphone by going into Settings > Wireless & networks > Wi-Fisettings > (from Menu) Advanced > MAC address

I gaI got as far as Wi-Fi Settings, there is no Advanced menu on this phone and I can't find the MAC Address, Can someone please help me where to find this, MaMany thanks. bob

Guest bob1000

I found it thanks very much guys, so today I shall use Arvind's.doc, fingers crossed,

Just one more question before I start, I have downloaded all the files from Arvind's.doc,

but on page one Bouncer5 wrote : WARNING: I ADVISE AGAINST THIS FOR THE TIME BEING UNTILL I UPDATE IT. Come back say, January 31st. I WILL have updated the files by then!"

Shall I wait till then or start today??

Thanks again...

bob

Guest bob1000

I now have one debranded unlocked Vivacity mobile phone, yipee !!

Very straight forward using Arvinds.doc, thank you all very much...

Now I just have to learn how to use, lol

Bob.

Guest bob1000

Hi Guys

I don't seem to get any sound for sms/text incoming messages?

I have taken the battery out when the phone is switched on etc, and still nothing, ringtones work ok, mp3's play ok,

just no notification sound, has anyone help please,

thanks again,

bob.

Guest windy_miller

Hi Guys

I have taken the battery out when the phone is switched on etc, and still nothing, ringtones work ok, mp3's play ok,

thanks again,

bob.

Are you sending texts to yourself? I found that I got no SMS sound when sending them to myself.

Guest Thomas J Marshall

Hi Guys

thanks again,

bob.

Same here. I get a beep when my balance is returned by the carrier but not from incoming texts. I downloaded an app from the market but it did not work. Also, I couldn't see how to increase font size but i got an app for that.

Guest bob1000

Problem solved I downloaded Handcent sms, it seems a much better text app to use, and has more settings etc., and the notification sound works. I also got volume+ to turn everything up a bit more.

Bob.

Edited by bob1000

Guest Thomas J Marshall

Problem solved I downloaded Handcent sms, it seems a much better text app to use, and has more settings etc., and the notification sound works. I also got volume+ to turn everything up a bit more.

Bob.

How do you disable the existing message service?

Guest Lopalos

How do you disable the existing message service?

You don't disable the existing one..

When you installed Handcent SMS, go into the Settings then Application Settings.

Under Default Messaging application, Select All.

Guest TommyBuRnZ

Hi everyone,

I have been trying to unlock my VivaCity so I can use it in New Zealand without T-Mobile going to town on me for internet roaming charges etc & I haven't owned the phone long enough to request an remote unlock. Usually I'm good at following instructions/guides but on this occasion I have shot myself in the foot and not performed the first two steps - Noting down my MAC address or uploading my QCN file - doh!. From what I gather this is used for recovery...

Anyway, I have performed the following:

- Powered up phone into FTM screen by holding the down volume button

- Run 'download.exe' from the 'unlock.zip' file for the VivaCity

- Booted into CWM

- If I hold the volume down button when turning on the phone still boots into FTM. If I just power on it boots into CWM.

As CWM came up I assumed all was going well but the home button (or any of the bottom capacitive buttons for that matter) don't function. After trawling through the forums I have discovered a few people have had this issue, but there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer as to why this is or how to fix it. I have tried the numerous down presses in CWM which display 'back button enabled' but this doesn't help & if I attempt to use the power button it either toggles the text menu display or does nothing at all.

If anyone could advise me on how I progress the unlock (getting the capacitive buttons to work) I'd be very grateful. From there I should be able to locate a suitable ROM & perform the install.

For the missing QCN file : I have another VivaCity I bought for my wife when I got mine (purchased on same day from same shop), and I'd assume they are the same hardware & software versions. Does anyone know if the QCN file is locked to hardware (i.e. MAC address) or if a donor QCN file can be used to recover the phone.

Guest jamie501

Is anyone having any problems with email ? trying to set up my hotmail account (POP3) and after I have entered all of the details it crashes and says it has quit unexpectedly, I cleared data and did it a couple more times and the same thing keeps happening

any ideas?

With the same QCN files both of you won't be able to share the same wireless link. There are destructions here to set unique mac addys, so all is not lost.

Yeah the email app is stuffed on some roms, just install another.

Edited by fr0do

Guest TommyBuRnZ

Thanks for the reply Frodo. I figured this might be the case, but I've managed to retrieve my MAC address from my router's DHCP history so that should be OK. I've managed to retrieve my QCN file so that's all good also.

This isn't the current issue at the top of my list however as the capacitive buttons won't work so I need to figure out a way to install a ROM to get the phone to do something. I found a post where someone had the same issue and they suggested using fastboot via ADB. The plot thickens & obviously it isn't allowed to be straight forward:

- I've followed the instructions & installed ADB drivers

- Managed to add the phone & run command to launch bootloader

- The wee Android man pops up & the device's ID changes, so it needs a new driver

- Windows 7 (x86) then reports it can't install a driver properly (Hardware IDs below but I don't see them in the inf)

- USB\VID_18D1&PID_D00D&REV_0100

- USB\VID_18D1&PID_D00D

- I also delved into the latest Google SDK generic drivers for fastboot but this didn't help

As this device won't install properly I can't run the command to install recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.5-blade2.img.

I dunno whether to laugh or cry. I'll flip a coin....

Edited by TommyBuRnZ

LoL :-P well at least you're retaining a sense of humour ;)

Sorry I can't help having never tried it. I just recall the bit about a cwm cheat mode to swap the power button as execute. Best of luck ;)