[HOW TO] Rooting Unlocking and De-Branding your ZTE Crescent [Updated Now Complete]

Guest Bouncer5

Guest MattyK2012

I have a a new t-mobile vivacity that i've just messed up i think. I was like a bull in a china shop and ploughed in without reading all the instructions. So i have no MAC code but more importantly i don't even have a phone just something that boots into DOS.

I have got as far as running CWM 4.0.1.5 from boot up, when i try to install the zip file containing the rom, it fails to read teh SD card giving the error

E: Can't open /sdcard/update.zip or whatever other name the rom is.

I can't work out how to get it to read the SD card?

I've gone through the forums and could have missed a solution but i'm totally stuck. Would appreciate any advice as I'm pretty annoyed with myself, love doing this as a way of learning about the hardware but i really should learn from my mistakes not to rush into these things..

Cheers

Matt

UPDATE: just noticed i donthave SD-ext.img installed ?

Edited by MattyK2012

Guest MattyK2012

Ignore my post.. the forums have saved me:

I used the ZTE app mentioned in here

Took ages but saved my bacon.. I think i'll put up with bloatware rather than have that stress again!

Great forums though. Thanks to everybody who contributes

Guest Jamie82

Thanks for the guide it worked for my San Francisco 2. Here's what I did in case it helps someone else.

Firstly lots of the file links on the first page seemed dead so that's why I had to get them elsewhere (see links below). Otherwise I just did step by step exactly what Bouncer5's guides said.

I followed part 1 of the guide "Unlocking Your Phone said:" to get as far as booting into clockwork mod recovery using the files from here:

http://ztecrescent.blogspot.com/2011/12/osf-ii-unlocking.html

Then I followed part 3 "Installing Your Rom said:" with these files:

What the guide calls crescent.zip:

flb2-r2a.zip

What the guide calls kernel.zip:

ouk-stock.zip

(from )

It did take about a minute to boot the first time after flashing the ROM. The first time I tried rooting I used the debranded rom linked from the ztecrescent.blogspot.com site but it hung at the android boot screen and I had to reflash the stock rom using CWM to get it working again (this is the same thing that Stu T says happened to him on page 7)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest BigTee

Am having a bit of a nightmare.

Been following this guide:- Link.

Everything fine until I lost my QCN file (corrupt card).

So now I have stock ROM on with no WIFI n no idea of MAC (both backed up on corrupt card)

Is there anything I can do?

Guest BigTee

Am having a bit of a nightmare.

Been following this guide:- Link.

Everything fine until I lost my QCN file (corrupt card).

So now I have stock ROM on with no WIFI n no idea of MAC (both backed up on corrupt card)

Is there anything I can do?

OK. Managed to get around the problem by backing up the ROM I had installed with QPST.

Used the HEX hack to input a new MAC (a friends phone changing last 2 digits).

Then restored that backup to the phone.

Seems to work so far. Now have Fish n Chips on it.

A couple of queries:-

On some tutorials is says reflash the kernel. Hows this done? Via FTM or in ROM Manager?

I don't have predictive text coming up when writing texts. What do I need to do to get that up?

Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest fr0do

We just have very poor moderation. A faq to answer all basic questions like these is planned. Meanwhile you're going to have to search I'm afraid.

Edited by fr0do

Guest irishpancake

So far so good. I downloaded some things now to be sure I have them available when the phone arrives. What stable (and if possible fully functional) rom is a good option for a Vivacity?

I would recommend Fish&Chips RLS6 for TMV.....for good GB experience.

Fully functional for all major stuff....slight camera and cspacitive buttons back-light niggles....but read the thread!!

http://android.modaco.com/index.php?/topic/353330-[ROM]-#entry1934833

Or, for very good and well supported ICS.....

try the CM9.....it is stickied....

sorry, no its not stickied but it should be!!!

http://android.modaco.com/index.php?/topic/353123-[iCS]-[CM9]-[4.0.4]-CyanogenMod-9-for-the-ZTE-Crescent-[ROM]-[Last-updated:-01/05]#entry1930378

it is like following a thriller drama series....fun and things getting solved right in front of your eyes.

Edited by irishpancake

Guest techsolo

I would recommend Fish&Chips RLS6 for TMV.....for good GB experience.

Fully functional for all major stuff....slight camera and cspacitive buttons back-light niggles....but read the thread!!

-#entry1934833]http://android.modac...]-#entry1934833

Or, for very good and well supported ICS.....

try the CM9.....it is stickied....

sorry, no its not stickied but it should be!!!

-[CM9]-[4.0.4]-CyanogenMod-9-for-the-ZTE-Crescent-[ROM]-[Last-updated:-01/05]#entry1930378]http://android.modac...5]#entry1930378

it is like following a thriller drama series....fun and things getting solved right in front of your eyes.

Will give both a try but as I'm looking to really use the phone I will probably end up using the F&S :)

Guest irenepepito

hellow everyone... im a newbe here.. i have zte blade 2.3.5 and i want to install cyanogenmod pls help.. pictures will take me alot more easier. I dont know how to root... overclock..backup.. pls do help me. i have zte blade android version: 2.3.5 gen2

Guest fr0do

You're on the wrong forum irenepepito. This forum is for the ZTE Crescent. If you install any of the roms here to your phone it will stop working.

Guest irishpancake

hellow everyone... im a newbe here.. i have zte blade 2.3.5 and i want to install cyanogenmod pls help.. pictures will take me alot more easier. I dont know how to root... overclock..backup.. pls do help me. i have zte blade android version: 2.3.5 gen2

Hi irene

you need to go here ..........

But God, it's a biiiig forum, loads of ROMs, and lots of help.

It's all there.

EDIT: sorry fr0do...same message, didn't see your answer!!!

Edited by irishpancake

Guest Bouncer5

Hello everybody! I'm currently attempting to re-upload (once I find the files) everything that is needed. and possibly simplify the process.

Im sure you will all be jumping for joy.

Guest Burdock

Finally got round to sorting out my own Vivacity today. Have to say that it wasn't too difficult in the end, but I kept my eyes on Bouncers original guide at the start of the thread; arvinds helpful walkthrough document (link on page 6 of the thread); and another guide http://www.getandroi...-for-free/ (which has live links to the software updates etc..)

I then gave the Fish 'N' Chips RLS7 ROM a bash, once the phone was unlocked and rooted..... and all looks good! Fantastic work on the site... Thank you.

Edited by Burdock

Guest irishpancake
Hello everybody! I'm currently attempting to re-upload (once I find the files) everything that is needed. and possibly simplify the process.

Im sure you will all be jumping for joy.

For shure!!!!

stock-illustration-5472177-jump-with-joy-boy.jpg

Edited by irishpancake

Guest Ash.UK

Hi - new user but am I missing something - have unlocked and debranded the osf2 using method described on giffaff forum, however, wanted to update the rom but cannot access CWM???