[HOW TO] Rooting Unlocking and De-Branding your ZTE Crescent [Updated Now Complete]

Guest Bouncer5

Guest Khalsa26

Hey Bouncer,

You are a total gentleman. Thank you so, so much.

May you get all your desires and aspirations in life.

It is all working with no issues that I can see.

Once again, I am so, so grateful to you and all that helped me do this.

Thanks.

Pal

Flashed the r2 ROM. Error same as last time in Software Download: "Memory Restore Failed: The ESN of the phone does not match the ESN of this file containing RF calibration data"

Tick the box - works fine. And the phone is perfectly stable :blink:

Guest Liamness

Hello chaps, sorry to have signed up purely just to ask a horribly nooby question, but...

Why might adb not recognise the phone when I plug it into my Macbook? Tried an HTC Desire to check if I'd set adb up wrong, but no, that works just fine! Or is there another way to install clockworkmod?

Guest Bouncer5

Hello chaps, sorry to have signed up purely just to ask a horribly nooby question, but...

Why might adb not recognise the phone when I plug it into my Macbook? Tried an HTC Desire to check if I'd set adb up wrong, but no, that works just fine! Or is there another way to install clockworkmod?

Drivers is what I belive it to be. I have uploaded drivers but I belive they are windows only. (Such as the process i've listed)

Guest snowbord

What are the partition layouts of the OSF2 and TMV?

Are there any established procedures to repartition the phones to have a 160 system / 300 internal layout, eradicating cache (2mb) and redirecting it to RAM?

Edited by snowbord

Guest Liamness

Drivers is what I belive it to be. I have uploaded drivers but I belive they are windows only. (Such as the process i've listed)

I've been led to believe that drivers are only an issue on Windows devices though, with Mac and Linux being good to go anyway? As I said, the HTC was recognised by adb without me having to install anything extra.

Guest Bouncer5

I've been led to believe that drivers are only an issue on Windows devices though, with Mac and Linux being good to go anyway? As I said, the HTC was recognised by adb without me having to install anything extra.

Its been a while since i've used ADB but it all worked fine for me first try with the instructions i've provided

Not yet, But im not the one to ask about that, Once someone has repartitioned that will be added here. Untill then, I may fill the system partition with popular apps instead of dead space.

Guest misodoctakleidist

Would anyone be able to tell me how to get root access in the stock ROM?

I have just unlocked my OSFII and flashed clockworkmod using the instructions in this thread - it worked perfectly - but then I reinstalled the OSFII stock ROM rather than the debranded ROM.

Guest Bouncer5

you will have to follow instruction set 2 to get clock work mod on, Then flash any from that IS NOT stock software or your back to step one again. There is a rooted branded ROM Somewhere on the forum

Guest misodoctakleidist

Thanks Bouncer.

I have already flashed clockworkmod using the adb method so it is only the second part I will need to do. Should be pretty straight forward, but I will let you know how I get on.

1) have got a bit further, if while im in QPST config, i start clients, then hit software download in there, the port now shows phone surf7627 etc. Hitting software download in qpst from the start menu didnt work.

2) is the phone name correct when it says surf7627

3) installing rom, do you load to sd card in the phone or put sd card into pc then back into phone?

anybody able to assist a newbie.....

Edited by bryfly

Guest Athers99

Hi,

Followed the instructions and managed to unlock and root my phone, but my wifi doesn't seem to be working.

When I go to setting and click WIFI , I get the following message:

"Your Phone does not write WIFI Mac address, please confirm"

Then when I attempt to connect to my wifi network it just doesn't connect and then after a few seconds goes to disconnected.

My wifi is fine as it is connecting to my Galaxy S and laptop fine.

I notice my WIFI Mac address has changed since routing. Do I need to change it back to the original address?

If so, where can I do this?

Thanks

Athers

Guest Enimaxi

Hi,

Followed the instructions and managed to unlock and root my phone, but my wifi doesn't seem to be working.

Then when I attempt to connect to my wifi network it just doesn't connect and then after a few seconds goes to disconnected.

I notice my WIFI Mac address has changed since routing. Do I need to change it back to the original address?

Thanks

Athers

Hey Athers,

Did you restore the .qcn file as the tutorial says? That should solve the wifi problem.

Maybe you should take a look here: http://android.modac...nlocked-now-up/. It's in the Skate forum, but the principle is the same.

I've got a question of my own:

Bouncer,

Seeing as your tutorial does not follow the steps of recovering to stock recovery like the Skate one does, is this necessary? If so: is the original recovery that's on the SF2 (the Orange one) a stock recovery? In other words: is there a problem in following your tutorial without recovering it first?

To be clear, I'm refering to this step in the Skate tutorial:

Go into “Preparation” folder and run the “install-recovery-windows.bat”. This should flash stock recovery and reboot the phone.

Greets

Edited by Enimaxi

Guest Bouncer5

Bouncer,

Seeing as your tutorial does not follow the steps of recovering to stock recovery like the Skate one does, is this necessary? If so: is the original recovery that's on the SF2 (the Orange one) a stock recovery? In other words: is there a problem in following your tutorial without recovering it first?

To be clear, I'm refering to this step in the Skate tutorial:

Greets

I am unsure if the stock recovery for the Vivacy and SF2 are the same, But after an unlock you are left with no ROM, So having it flash CWM seems like a better idea, as then you can atleast flash a ROM, Even if you flash the stock rom, you will have a stock recovery again.

I hope this helped? Although I feel it may not have

Guest Bouncer5

Hi,

Did you take note of your WiFI MAC Address as my instuctions said? Also if you had followed them you would have restore some files to the phone. The files that you backed up containted your WiFi MAC Address

Thanks

Athers

Guest Athers99

Hi Bouncer,

I had problems backing up the files part so could not do it.

I did note down my mac address though on some paper. Now realise this backup included the mac address backup too :(

Where can I manually restore this mac address then?

Athers

Guest Enimaxi

I am unsure if the stock recovery for the Vivacy and SF2 are the same, But after an unlock you are left with no ROM, So having it flash CWM seems like a better idea, as then you can atleast flash a ROM, Even if you flash the stock rom, you will have a stock recovery again.

I hope this helped? Although I feel it may not have

Not really what I meant.

In the Skate unlocking tutorial it says that you first have to flash the stock recovery on the device, before you can unlock it. That step is not in your tutorial. I've got two questions concerning this:

1. Is it necessary to have the stock recovery on your device before unlocking, or will any recovery do?

2. Is the recovery on the device when you get it out of the package a stock one?

In other words: when I take my device out of the package, can I immediately start the process of unlocking?

Guest Amphoras

Not really what I meant.

In the Skate unlocking tutorial it says that you first have to flash the stock recovery on the device, before you can unlock it. That step is not in your tutorial. I've got two questions concerning this:

1. Is it necessary to have the stock recovery on your device before unlocking, or will any recovery do?

2. Is the recovery on the device when you get it out of the package a stock one?

In other words: when I take my device out of the package, can I immediately start the process of unlocking?

If you don't have the stock recovery, you can't get into FTM mode and you can't carry out the unlock process.

Yes, the device comes with the stock recovery already on it. That's why its called the stock recovery :P.

Guest BrideOfTheAtom

Hi,

I'm having trouble with my home button not working on CWM recovery. I have an orange screen as apparently I should but only the up and down volume keys work plus if I press the power button the menu disappears. If I scroll through the menu a few times "Back Button Enabled" appears but that doesn't do any good. I have performed the Unlock procedure as stated in this thread.

I can still reboot using adb when CWM recovery is loaded, however when it boots back to the green man I can't communicate with it though adb. An unknown device called Android appears to want install on my 32-bit Windows XP system but it can't find the drivers.

Any advice on what I can do?

I'd really appreciate your help. I'm usually okay fiddling on with things like this but the thought of throwing 100 quid down the drain is a bit too hard to handle :(