[HOW TO] Rooting Unlocking and De-Branding your ZTE Crescent [Updated Now Complete]

Guest Bouncer5

Guest garethp

Just wanted to say thanks to Bouncer5 for this tutorial, as I have managed to unlock and put the debranded firmware on my phone this afternoon.

Have a couple of questions, that hopefully the answers of which may help others.

In instruction set 3, it says "You will want to "Wipe Data/Factory" reset and also in advance "Wipe Dalvik" Cache then "Reboot Recovery" (Use the Home button to select)"

When I chose reboot recovery the phone went into a blue recovery menu system, which I think is stock recovery? This only had the "install update.zip" option. I couldn't choose the specific crescent.zip file. However, I pulled the battery and USB and rebooted the phone with volume down held and it went into Clockwork thankfully.

Also, if I was to download the latest R2a rom from here, I am assuming I would use this instead of the Crescent.zip in your tutorial. Would I also need to apply the kernel.zip again afterwards?

Once again, thanks Bouncer5.

Gareth

Edited by garethp

Guest BrideOfTheAtom

Download the latest CWM from sebs thread, and keep going up and down until you get 'back key enabled' then you the power button to select items.

Thanks for responding to me. I do see the back key enabled text flash up but it didnt seem to make any difference. Without the back key enabled text it just makes the menu disappear. With the text I don't think it did anything. I can move up and down with the volume buttons though...

Also, if I wanted to update CWM how would I do so if I can't boot into another Rom?

Edited by BrideOfTheAtom

Guest tubbycyclist

Thanks for responding to me. I do see the back key enabled text flash up but it didnt seem to make any difference. Without the back key enabled text it just makes the menu disappear. With the text I don't think it did anything. I can move up and down with the volume buttons though...

Also, if I wanted to update CWM how would I do so if I can't boot into another Rom?

I had a similar problem on the TMV - the capacitive buttons did not work first time, so I rebooted into CWM and then they worked. Volume buttons scrolled through options and the HOME key (not the power button unlike a lot of other phone) to select.

Once you have CWM you can flash any (device specific) ROM.

Guest BrideOfTheAtom

I had a similar problem on the TMV - the capacitive buttons did not work first time, so I rebooted into CWM and then they worked. Volume buttons scrolled through options and the HOME key (not the power button unlike a lot of other phone) to select.

Once you have CWM you can flash any (device specific) ROM.

I installed CWM as part of the unlock procedure. How would I reinstall CWM independently?

Guest Liamness

Why might adb not recognise the phone when I plug it into my Macbook? Tried an HTC Desire to check if I'd set adb up wrong, but no, that works just fine! Or is there another way to install clockworkmod?

Got it working. Lots of trying different cables, switching the phone off and on, starting and restarting the adb server. It worked eventually! Phone is now rooted and debranded. Although I'm not sure if it's unlocked. I've installed CWM, which I then used to install flibblesan's ROM, and then flashed the kernel. That doesn't sound to me as if I've unlocked it at any point. Going to go and find a SIM from another network just to check.

Guest Enimaxi

No need to put the Clockwork recovery anywhere. If you unlock your device using the unlock.zip file, it automatically boots in CW!

After that just flash rom.

No need to put the Clockwork recovery anywhere. If you unlock your device using the unlock.zip file, it automatically boots in CW!

After that just flash rom.

Cheers Enimaxi

Guest drummer

Many thanks for this guide.

I've successively unlocked, installed CWM etc but I now seem to have trouble getting CWM to boot. I've tried the Power + Vol- but I keep getting the FTM screen appear.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Guest t.reddings

Thanks for these instructions. I have now managed to completely unlock and root the phone. My Vivacity now has so much more space for apps. I miss the CM7 features but am very happy with this version. :D My Tesco sim is chugging away nicely. :P

Guest Amphoras

I've successively unlocked, installed CWM etc but I now seem to have trouble getting CWM to boot. I've tried the Power + Vol- but I keep getting the FTM screen appear.

If you still see FTM, then that means CWM isn't installed properly. You'll need to try again.

Guest Bouncer5

I believe you flash the stock ROM there for wiping your CMW recovery.

If your flash the recommended ROM You should have been fine.

Guest Hermione01

Many, Many thanks to Bouncer5, a great guy who spent lots of time unlocking and clockworking.With people like this on the forum anything is possable.

Guest Athers99

Hi Bouncer,

I had problems backing up the files part so could not do it.

I did note down my mac address though on some paper. Now realise this backup included the mac address backup too :(

Where can I manually restore this mac address then?

Athers

Bouncer or anyone else - any suggestions I could try to help resolve my issue above please?

Still can't use Wifi and need to get this sorted ASAP .and wrapped up as it's xmas present for my Nephew. So close, yet so far to a fully rooted, working San Fran 2

Phone's useless at the moment without wifi access.

Thanks

Athers

Guest t.reddings

I believe you flash the stock ROM there for wiping your CMW recovery.

If your flash the recommended ROM You should have been fine.

I too have the same issue. I have succesfully flashed and unlocked phone. The phone then showed clockwork MOD from which I put on FLB2a ROM. I've noticed the battery drain is quite high so was going to clear my battery stats (like I did on the old Blade). Now I get the FLM when trying to boot to recovery.

I have tried to resolve, put on ROM Manager and have tried booting to Recovery, that worked but the capacitive buttons didn't work. Have tried upgrading CWM using ROM Manager but the phone choice doesn't show any ZTE phones.

So I'm hoping there is a simple way to install CWM. Any help appreciated.

Edited by t.reddings

Thanks to bouncer5 for this method, done both my phones now, just completed the wifes only problem is no wi fi, made a note of the mac No. Number is now different... .Number now is 11:22:33:44:55:66, originally 34:4B:50:E4:60:7F,

Follwed procedure to check for correct number, ie, Open your hex editor and open the *.qcn file that you saved with QPST<li>Search for "11 22 33 44 55 66" with your hex editor

Just checked with a hex editor in the *.qcn file and 11:22:33:44:55:66 is not in the file, but the correct one 34:4b:50:e4:60:7f is, any advice welcome.....im stuck now, can i go back to QPST and go back to software utility and click restore .qcn file again and restore a second time and hope?.

Cracked it .....checked the *.qcn files with hex editor ( i had 2 for some reason) i had 11:22:33:44:55:66 in one file and the other had the right one, went via QPST and restored the correct one and it fixed it.......

Edited by bryfly

Guest drummer

I too have the same issue. I have succesfully flashed and unlocked phone. The phone then showed clockwork MOD from which I put on FLB2a ROM. I've noticed the battery drain is quite high so was going to clear my battery stats (like I did on the old Blade). Now I get the FLM when trying to boot to recovery.

I have tried to resolve, put on ROM Manager and have tried booting to Recovery, that worked but the capacitive buttons didn't work. Have tried upgrading CWM using ROM Manager but the phone choice doesn't show any ZTE phones.

So I'm hoping there is a simple way to install CWM. Any help appreciated.

That's exactly my issue too. I've also tried to install CWM via Fastboot but I keep getting "No device found" message.

The only error I saw during the unlock/root process was when restoring the QCN file. The phone rebooted to CWM ok but the "Software Download utility hung for about a minute with "Trying to connect to device" (or similar) (whilst the phone was still in CWM) then reported "Restore failed". However I have no issues with WiFi so not sure that's an issue. I tried ROM manager to reboot CWM but I just get the blue coloured default recovery menu.

Edited by drummer

Guest dt_matthews

Can someone advise - I had flibbesan's rom on my (still locked) vivacity, so I re-flashed the stock rom (and kernel) but cannot get the FTM screen up?

Any help really appreciated :)

Guest Simon O

"no device found" means fastboot drivers are not installed. With the phone in fastboot mode and connected by usb cable Windows should install the drivers automatically. If this doesn't happen then download and install the drivers from the first post.

If you need to install them manually for some reason:

1. Open up device manager and right click on the device with an exclamation symbol

2. Select Update Driver

3. When asked to search press NO and browse to the folder where you extracted the files. Select next and driver will be installed.

4. Repeat step 3 for the other HSUSB device with exclamation.

5. Reboot into bootloader, rinse and repeat.

Guest craigmc

Hi

Thanks for the great thread,

I modded the original san fran last year but am a little rusty as I have only done it the once and have got stuck at an early stage.

I am having trouble getting QPST to recognise my phone!! I have installed drivers again and still no go!

Can anyone point me in the right direction please, its probably a really easy fix, but i do tend to do things the hard way.

Thanks

Edited by craigmc