[HOW TO] Rooting Unlocking and De-Branding your ZTE Crescent [Updated Now Complete]

Guest Bouncer5

Hi,

mine does not go into FTM mode? what to do?

all i get is the options to switch it to airplane mode/power off..

I hope you have not used the correct file, even I had a same problem when I did first time. I was trying all the methods to go to FTM. but it did not help. But when I used the correct file, I got into FTM in first try itself. do not get panic... follow the steps from ztecrescent.blogspot.com site. It has correct file and easy step by step guide.

-- R2K4Net

Hi,

i got it to go into FTM Mode but only when I didnt have it plugged to the computer.

shall i let it go into FTM Mode first and then connect it to the computer?

Have you not read the Full steps ? refer the site ztecrescent.blogspot.com -- Yes you need to go to FTM Mode first and then connect it to the computer.

-- R2K4Net

Hi,

i downloaded the QPST. thing

i extracted it via 7zip

but when i set it up i got this error

Module.....failed to register.

contact your personnel

Can you try with WinRaR ? ... I have installed this application on both windows XP and 7, It is working fine. It should work. - R2K4NeT

I just followed through the instructions at http://ztecrescent.blogspot.com/2011/12/osf-ii-unlocking.html

All ok up to step 19 when I restored qcn file. The file started to upload but then just at it was about to finish the phone (which was in FTM mode) rebooted. QPST is sitting there saying "trying to communicate with phone" but has 100% progress bar. The phone after its reboot is sitting at the CWM based recovery screen and just reboots back to the same screen when I select reboot.

Can anyone help?

EDIT: I was being a fool. Sorted now.

Edited by nswan

Guest jckm2000

Hi Folks,

I'm new here so please bear with me! Trying to unlock my girlfriends Vivacity, I'm trying to 'add port' in QPST but when I click 'Add' I'm getting the error: There was an error enabling. The port may not be working properly or may be busy. (-2147467259 [0x80004005]).

I've booted into FTM.

In 'Add New Port I see 'COM3 - Serial' I've left 'Port' and 'Port Label' blank, should I enter something in these and if so what?

'Active Phones' = 0

What have I done wrong?

Cheers,

C

Edited by jckm2000

Hi Folks,

I'm new here so please bear with me! Trying to unlock my girlfriends Vivacity, I'm trying to 'add port' in QPST but when I click 'Add' I'm getting the error: There was an error enabling. The port may not be working properly or may be busy. (-2147467259 [0x80004005]).

I've booted into FTM.

In 'Add New Port I see 'COM3 - Serial' I've left 'Port' and 'Port Label' blank, should I enter something in these and if so what?

'Active Phones' = 0

What have I done wrong?

Cheers,

C

Hi jckm2000,

I'm just trying to do the same thing as you for my girlfriend and Dad's Vivacity's. I've very minor experience of rooting with my HTC Desire, so thought I'd give it a go with these as well!

Like you, I was only able to see COM3 and not COM5. In order to get COM5 to appear, I turned the phone back on as normal and connected it via USB to my computer. I let all the relevant drivers install and an Autorun Driver exe also popped up, which I ran. After doing this and then putting the phone into FTM and running QPST I could then see COM5 - USB/QC Diagnostic.

Hope this helps, it seemed to work for me. I am no expert in these kind of things by the way!

kwj87

Thanks Bouncer5,

After reading your post and many others I also found this http://ztecrescent.blogspot.com/

He's packaged all the utils into a freindly zip with batch files. But I got problems following his tutorial for the de-branded ROM (stuck on ANDROID screen!)

I put stock ROM but didn't like the Oranginess, so I used step 3 of your guide with Flibblesan's ROM.

After re-reading your guide and his, they are practically the same, and in hindsight I should've followed yours !

Many thanks again - my OSF2 is unlocked and de-branded.

Guest bigupajc

T-Mobile Vivacity.doc Hi,

I bought 2 TMob Vivacity phones and after lots of hesitation undertook the unlock and debrand steps provided by Bouncer5 in this thread.

In the process of unlocking my 2 phones (successfully), I was tracking my various steps in the attached document and thought of sharing it with all the members.

All credit goes to Bouncer5 without a doubt. Hope my document helps some hesitant newbie!!!

cheers

Arvind

Many Many thanks to Arvind for the perfect unlocking guide.

Followed it without any problems to unlock my my vivacity. Thank you so much.

All future unlock guides should follow your example, making it perfectly clear and simple for users who have no experience of this to follow without hassle. Top Man!

Guest confusedperson

I have successfuly unlocked my phone however when I rebooted it on this message appeared CWM- based recovery v4.0.1.5

What is Clockwork?

If I do this Clockwork will i need to keep updating?

is this the method i use?

Installing Clockwork Mod Recovery Via ADB said:

Boot up phone

• Enable Debugging Mode. (Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging)
    Install Drivers.
    • Open the ADB Folder,Hold shift and Right click in the folder and select "Open Command Windows Here"
    • Type adb-windows.exe reboot bootloaderThe phone will reboot to a great Android man and stay there
    • Now type fastboot-windows.exe flash recovery recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.5-blade2.img
    • It will say recovery sending... Okay, Recovery writing... Okay, If this says failed. Please contact me.
    • Now type fastboot-windows.exe reboot
    • Once your phone has started up type adb-windows.exe reboot recovery and you will be in Clockwork Mod Recovery Congratulation!
Edited by confusedperson

Guest jckm2000

Thanks for the reply, Ok got the USB/QC diagnostic port on port 8,

Backup is stuck at:

File: 99%

Total Progress 0

The file shows 218 kb

Can I close 'Software Download'?

Edited by jckm2000

Guest Thomas J Marshall

Still haven't attempted to unlock my SF2 yet, just a few points that I'm not sure of...

Unlocking Your Phone said:

• Connect your phone to your computer and make sure you have USB Debugging turned on. (Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging) {Should the sim card that came with the phone be in at this point?}
  • Press and hold the Volume Down and power buttons together. This SHOULD bring you to a screen saying FTM. If your see Clockwork Mod you will have to load the stock ROM. (Instructions to Follow) {Why does Arvind's guide say disconnect the battery at this point?}

Guest snowbord

dude, just follow the guide, or the .doc guide given earlier (which I did). As long as you back up the phone via qcn, you'll be alright. Either you do it or you don't. It really isn't that big a deal - i've flashed 3 now, including repartitioning the phones. You are going too far into details.

I didn't have a sim in the phones at all and never booted the phones up when taken out of the packaging.  Took phone out of packaging, charged it.  The first power up with power & volume button held took me straight into FTM, got the port mounted, copy qcn, run download.exe, restore qcn, phone unlocked.  Flash ROM via CWM.  Personally I never got the volume up TPT flash working, so I booted into the rom to do about / system update using the TPT (unarced TPT to image/ directory on sd card).  This is followed by another rom flash and voila.. unlocked, repartitioned, rooted, debranded phone with A2SD preinstalled.  You can then partition the SD card and put an EXT partition on it if you wish.

Just make sure you flash the OSF2 kernel after each ROM flash.

Edited by snowbord

Guest confusedperson

I unlocked my phone yesterday following the blogspot but then got stuck at the clockwork, the blogspot method didnt work so i just gave it a go with the one that was in this thread for ROM!

now i can use my GIFFGAFF sim ;)

& thanks everyone for the hardwork saved me £20 which a repair shop asked for & orange asked for £20 but had to wait till febuary + an additional 4 weeks too.

one last question (hopefully)

do i need to keep updating this ROM?

can i change my memory card (I used the one supplied with 2GB) and copy & paste all the documents from one to another? will my phone still be unlocked...

Edited by confusedperson

Guest arvind16982

Still haven't attempted to unlock my SF2 yet, just a few points that I'm not sure of...

Thomas, my guide was my experience based out of Bouncer5 steps. When I tried getting the FTM on the screen with the battery in the compartment and the buttons pressed, it simply did not work. It used to get switched on displaying normal T-Mob flash screen.

I hence held the buttons down initially and then inserted the battery and voila the FTM popped up on the screen in a few seconds. This is my experience with 2 of my phones and hence mentioned it that way in the guide.

It doesnt matter how you get FTM on the screen.

Hope that helps.

Guest HugoQueiriga

My capacitive buttons are not working, so when I reboot into CWM I cannot select however volume buttons work.

I followed these instructions to the T, how to I get the buttons to work?

• Download THIS file and install it.
  • Download the unlock.zip for your SFII or Vivacity. (WARNING: Using the WRONG unlock.zip will brick your phone completely)
  • Connect your phone to your computer and make sure you have USB Debugging turned on. (Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging)
  • Press and hold the Volume Down and power buttons together. This SHOULD bring you to a screen saying FTM. If your see Clockwork Mod you will have to load the stock ROM. (Instructions to Follow)
  • Make sure you installed QPST in the first step. Now in the Start menu find "QPST Configuration" Click on "Ports" and then the "Add Port" button.
  • Once that is added close Configuration and open "Software Download" from the start menu
  • Click "Backup" on the utility and choose where to save the "QCN" File
  • Make sure the file exists and is non-zero in file size before precedding - If not try the from step 6 again.
  • Unzip your Unlock.zip folder and run "download.exe"
  • If you are sure you want to Unlock your phone press "START!"
  • Sit and wait it out, Should take no more than two minutes until it is finished and Unlocked!
  • Go back to the "Software Download" utility and click the "Restore" Find the .qcn file you saved and restore it.
  • If it will not restore tick "Allow Phone/FILE ESN mismatch"
  • Remove your USB cable, pull the battery and insert your SIM of choice. Voila.
  • Your phone SHOULD boot into Clockwork Mod Recovery. If not follow the instuctions below.
  • If your phone is in Clockwork Mod follow instruction set 3.

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

My capacitive buttons are not working, so when I reboot into CWM I cannot select however volume buttons work.

I followed these instructions to the T, how to I get the buttons to work?

• Download THIS file and install it.
  • Download the unlock.zip for your SFII or Vivacity. (WARNING: Using the WRONG unlock.zip will brick your phone completely)
  • Connect your phone to your computer and make sure you have USB Debugging turned on. (Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging)
  • Press and hold the Volume Down and power buttons together. This SHOULD bring you to a screen saying FTM. If your see Clockwork Mod you will have to load the stock ROM. (Instructions to Follow)
  • Make sure you installed QPST in the first step. Now in the Start menu find "QPST Configuration" Click on "Ports" and then the "Add Port" button.
  • Once that is added close Configuration and open "Software Download" from the start menu
  • Click "Backup" on the utility and choose where to save the "QCN" File
  • Make sure the file exists and is non-zero in file size before precedding - If not try the from step 6 again.
  • Unzip your Unlock.zip folder and run "download.exe"
  • If you are sure you want to Unlock your phone press "START!"
  • Sit and wait it out, Should take no more than two minutes until it is finished and Unlocked!
  • Go back to the "Software Download" utility and click the "Restore" Find the .qcn file you saved and restore it.
  • If it will not restore tick "Allow Phone/FILE ESN mismatch"
  • Remove your USB cable, pull the battery and insert your SIM of choice. Voila.
  • Your phone SHOULD boot into Clockwork Mod Recovery. If not follow the instuctions below.
  • If your phone is in Clockwork Mod follow instruction set 3.

Make sure you flash the custom rom and then the stock kernel for your phone without restarting in between, then restart the phone

Guest HugoQueiriga

Make sure you flash the custom rom and then the stock kernel for your phone without restarting in between, then restart the phone

I can't flash the custom rom as the select button does not work on my Tmobile Vivacity, the volume keys work up and down but the home button which is a capacitive button does not select.

Because of this I cannot flash a custom rom, how do I restore back? **edit Got it fixed using new boot recovery in unlock tool , then used cheat menu for power button as selection.

Edited by HugoQueiriga

Guest Thomas J Marshall

Thomas, my guide was my experience based out of Bouncer5 steps. When I tried getting the FTM on the screen with the battery in the compartment and the buttons pressed, it simply did not work. It used to get switched on displaying normal T-Mob flash screen.

I hence held the buttons down initially and then inserted the battery and voila the FTM popped up on the screen in a few seconds. This is my experience with 2 of my phones and hence mentioned it that way in the guide.

It doesnt matter how you get FTM on the screen.

Hope that helps.

Yes that's helpful, thanks. And thanks snowbord too, I will definitely have a go at the unlock. I picked the phone as a Christmas present but it's wrapped up at the moment so it will have to be my project over the holidays! :D Edited by Thomas J Marshall

Guest snowbord

one last question (hopefully)

do i need to keep updating this ROM?

can i change my memory card (I used the one supplied with 2GB) and copy & paste all the documents from one to another? will my phone still be unlocked...

You do not need to update the ROM if you do not want to (it isn't being updated at all at present anyway). If a new one comes out, it will be up to you whether you update or not, should some feature be fixed that you find annoying (radio not working for example in the FLB2a ROM, or GPU accelaration not being enabled and an incomplete international APN list in seb's rom.

In most cases you can just flash straight over your current ROM without doing a wipe data / factory reset (in CWMod), as long as it is the same ROM (i.e. FLB2a => FLB3 for example. The ROM author will state what the deal is when the ROM is released.

Yes your phone will be unlocked. Yes you can just copy the contents of your SD card to another SD card (as long as you have not created an EXT partition as some of your apps will be stored there).

Nest step - download Titanium Backup and get used to it - this is your best friend when it comes to swapping / upgrading ROMs, amongst having other great features. It backs up your apps onto the SD card.

CWMod has a 'backup' and 'restore' feature which is also known as a Nandroid backup.

Edited by snowbord